Seriously No Politics ×

The Name of the Church

2 hours ago, ALarson said:

I see your point.  I just highly doubt that people outside the church could even remember that longer name, much less use it!  I imagine most would still use the name "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" and then qualify it with "or used to be" .....something like that.  I guess we will just have to wait and see if the name is changed.

Perhaps instead of waiting to see if non members follow the Prophets counsel, we could follows it

17 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I fear what consequences await the membership of the Church if the people collectively reject what the prophet declared the Lord has “impressed upon [his] mind.”

This is true...as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, members should adhere to at least the name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..but perhaps they might be busy working out other and more important gospel principles in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  ☺️

1 hour ago, pogi said:

Steve Evans at By Common Consent says this:

I think you might be right about getting our own members on board.  I think most will give it a diligent effort to heed the prophets counsel, but probably are not really happy with the change and probable have little hope of any real change after previous failed attempts at the same goal.  I think some are discouraged after giving it a diligent effort before, only to see the church itself use the term later in promotional videos, etc.:

Some might lack the will/faith to try again after previous ditched efforts.  Some might question what success might entail?  What good will it do if only members follow this rule, when we already know and respect the official name of the church?  I don't think the change is for us as much as it is for outsiders to understand what we are all about - Christ.  Without a mighty intervention of God, any real change on the outside will take decades upon decades of expensive effort, even then, I don't expect much change.

I personally don't like the change, I didn't like it before, but I will give it another go if that is the direction of the prophet.  If this is indeed the Lord's will, it will all work out, but we shouldn't expect the Lord's will to be easy on the palate of His people, based on history. 

What reason is there to be unhappy with the changes? I suspect the bigger problem will be indifference 

18 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

This is true...as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, members should adhere to at least the name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..but perhaps they might be busy working out other and more important gospel principles in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  ☺️

You joke, but being called after the name of Jesus Christ is an important aspect of our baptismal covenant. If the Lord wants us to take this aspect of the covenant more seriously, I think that would be a very important thing to do.

5 hours ago, rongo said:

It was Mormona. It looks close to Polish (and other Slavic languages). "Book" in Polish is "Ksiega." I think "God" is "bog" in all of them, and I think "ja" means "I" in Polish. 

Sounds Russian (transliterated Kniga Mormona or nov...can't remember, too lazy to go pull it off the shelf)

11 minutes ago, Calm said:

Sounds Russian (transliterated Kniga Mormona or nov...can't remember, too lazy to go pull it off the shelf)

They're all Slavic (Czech, Polish, Russian). I think in Polish it's pronounced "sheega." Polish is weird to me. The city "Lodz" (with the o crossed out) is pronounced "wooj."  My parents speak it to an extent. They can pronounce it. It looks foreign to me. :) 

19 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

As I recall, it was during the administration of President Hinckley**  that the Church issued the official guideline against calling the name of the Church "the Mormon church."  That directive was reiterated repeatedly, most recently by Elder (now President) M. Russell Ballard during multiple general conference addresses.

I don't think there will be any walking it back.

**President Hinckley never endorsed calling the name of the Church "the Mormon church," not even in the general conference talk cited here.

What about the I'm a Mormon campaign?

That was pretty recent, and definitely endorsed the use of the name Mormon.

5 hours ago, ALarson said:

Ha!  Good question!

Are we going to change it to:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Dialogue and Discussion Board"?

In the meantime, I propose we at least update the site logo.

image.png.89f9750d15c9fe97914ba930c8fa8075.png

1 hour ago, Thinking said:

What about the I'm a Mormon campaign?

That was pretty recent, and definitely endorsed the use of the name Mormon.

You are forgetting -- or perhaps you never knew or understood -- that under the old policy, it was OK to use the word "Mormon" in reference to the members of the Church, just not the name of the Church itself. The big change happening now, the name Mormon is forbidden even in reference to the members.

So no, there has been no walking back.

2 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

The choir formerly known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Maybe they could just use a symbol, like Prince. 

Yeah, this wasn't so well thought out. The word "Mormon" is baked into everything. You can't extricate it by fiat.

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

By the way, when you write out the name of the Church, it is proper to use a hyphen and a lower-case d in Latter-day. Thus

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

25 minutes ago, Gray said:

Yeah, this wasn't so well thought out. The word "Mormon" is baked into everything. You can't extricate it by fiat.

Who says you can't? The Church could easily rename the choir if that's what it chooses to do.

And knowing President Nelson as I do, my  hunch is this was better "thought out" than you know.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I knew that.

Of course, it does me no good to go back and correct it now, as you have already busted me. Thanks a lot!

Sorry! :sorry: 

;):D 

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Avatar already expressed this quite well, but taking upon ourselves the name of Christ is an important part of the baptismal covenant. It's even expressed explicitly in the sacramental prayers:

...that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; ...

Doctrine and Covenants 20:77

This must be quite important to the Savior that He would have it reiterated to us every week in our sacrament meetings.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
9 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

I'm not pushing back, really, but I feel a sense of loss from this. My identity is so tied up in being a Mormon. These less-specific identifiers leave me a little cold. 

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the attempted change not catching on, and the whole thing dropped by Pres. Nelson's successor.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Google says, "Kniga Mormona." ;) 

4 hours ago, Gray said:

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the attempted change not catching on, and the whole thing dropped by Pres. Nelson's successor.

And if I were a betting man, I'd readily take that bet. I would have you pay a thousand dollars to the Church's missionary fund upon the death of President Nelson's successor.

But in point of fact, I am not a betting man, and I have more compassion than to do that to you.

By the way, President Nelson’s successor will likely be Dallin H. Oaks. As first counselor in the First Presidency, he’s probably dialed in to these changes pretty well, I would guess. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, rongo said:

They're all Slavic (Czech, Polish, Russian). I think in Polish it's pronounced "sheega." Polish is weird to me. The city "Lodz" (with the o crossed out) is pronounced "wooj."  My parents speak it to an extent. They can pronounce it. It looks foreign to me. :) 

A quarter of the words of Russian were easy as they sounded like Spanish or French, the rest...couldn't even get the whole alphabet.

2 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

The choir formerly known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Maybe they could just use a symbol, like Prince. 

It was apparently first known as the Salt Lake Tabernacle Choir or just the Tabernacle Choir (from my all knowing friend).

https://archive.org/stream/improvementera4410unse#page/n5/mode/2up

Edited by Calm
21 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You are forgetting -- or perhaps you never knew or understood -- that under the old policy, it was OK to use the word "Mormon" in reference to the members of the Church, just not the name of the Church itself. The big change happening now, the name Mormon is forbidden even in reference to the members.

So no, there has been no walking back.

Just how long ago was the “I’m a Mormon” campaign?  I feel it wasn’t that long ago.

I am going to do my best to make this change, but it is going to be difficult to always remember.