Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Mountain Meadows, and Las Vegas. It is a fair comparison?


Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Shortly after the Las Vegas shooting, and reporters calling what transpired, as the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. The owner and author of the largest anti-Mormon website (well anti-anything not Evangelical Calvinism) took to the airwaves to point out and further the self promotion of his website and that the Mountain Meadows murders,  was the worst mass-shooting (killing) in U.S. History. He gave a lot of airtime, to this tragic chapter in Church history. It was indeed (Mountian Meadows), fair game. But he was claiming that it was ordered by BY, a fact never proved. My first comments was pointing out that it was inexcusable act that took place. But as he continued to decry the act of killing these people and the number, I informed him that it was not the worst in U.S. History. I pointed out that "wounded knee" and many other Indian murders by the U.S., in far greater numbers. I also pointed out that pointing to this as a reason not to listen to anything Latter-day Saints say. I noted that dismissing everything the U.S. has to say, or denouncing one's citizenship based upon n the past is equally foolish. 

Pointing out such truth was unanswered and caused me to be banned for a time. It is not unusual on this website to be banned for telling the truth. Having said this, I have no problem bringing up the MMM, as it was cold blooded murder. However this was the act if truly evil men, but it is not Church doctrine to murder, and what the Native Americans endured pales in comparison to MMM, and the Las Vegas murders. Evil is evil, and should be condemned, including the many murders done by the Church if those in Middle Ages. Not to mention the murders if Jews, and forced conversions during the inquestion. (Hope I spelled this correctly).  

Thoughts?  

I disagree, the men weren't all evil that commited murder on those in the Baker/Francher party. They were just being obedient, something strongly taught in our church. It was a covenant made in the temple called the oath of vengence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_vengeance And blood atonement was taught also. We have quite the violent history in the church, but thankfully a very different church today.

poster removed for irresponsible and undocumented claims

Posted
26 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I disagree, the men weren't all evil that commited murder on those in the Baker/Francher party. They were just being obedient, something strongly taught in our church. It was a covenant made in the temple called the oath of vengence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_vengeance And blood atonement was taught also. We have quite the violent history in the church, but thankfully a very different church today.

This oath to which you refer was about the wrongs allowed and committed by the United States on multiple occasions. It had nothing to do with the Mountain Meadows event. Shooting women and children to cover a crime, requires men who have allowed their souls to be stolen by the "Price of darkness", and taking every doctrine to an extreme, beyond any reason. The point was this was not the worst mass murder in U.S. History. It is to point out that when it comes to anti-Mormons, any lie, or any port in a storm will do. 

Posted

No, i don't think it's the same thing and it annoys me when I hear people trying to argue that anyone more than four people were killed using guns that it's considered a mass shooting regardless of the situation or context.  Using that definition, all of those who died on the beaches of Normandy died in a mass shooting.  Everyone who died in Vietnam by gun fire died from a mass shooting.  The gunfight at the O.K. corral was a mass shooting.  Some of the people who died at Jones Town died in a mass shooting.  It just sounds dumb to define that term that way.     

When I hear the term "mass shooting" i think of a very specific act of gun violence.  I see it as a shooting perpetrated by one shooter, or a handful of shooters at most, perpetrated with no other goals than to send a message or cause destruction and pain.  

MMM was heinous, but I don't consider it a mass shooting.

Posted
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It was a covenant made in the temple called the oath of vengence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_vengeance 

Which specifically referred to.the events of Carthage and had nothing to do with MMM.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

 And blood atonement was taught also.

Yes it was.  And it was directly related to certain crimes usually committed only by current and former members for violation of covenant.  Again, not MMM.

MMM was a dark and horrific tragedy, but it was not directed by Church law, rather by local leaders and those foolish enough to follow them.

Posted

There have been a number other mass shootings in our history but the resulted in many black people dying, or native Americans, more than at mmm or Las Vegas, so they don’t get mentioned much.  

But mmm was every bit as heinous,  if not more so than the Vegas tragedy.  We should never easily forget and accept that Mormons massacred well over hundred unarmed people.  It seems only fair to bring it up.  We never, im guessing really know why people cause destruction and pain.  We tie in some motivation and leave it at that but Id suggest we shouldn’t leave it simple as that

Posted
55 minutes ago, bluebell said:

MMM was heinous, but I don't consider it a mass shooting.

It was very definitely a mass shooting, so I disagree.  

There were just many doing the shooting instead of just one.

Definition of mass shooting:

"A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of firearms-related violence. ... Another unofficial definition of a mass shooting is an event involving the shooting (not necessarily resulting in death) of four or more people with no cooling-off period."

Posted

Meanwhile, the beat goes on with hardly a mention in the media. 30,000 + die in auto accidents, 80,000 + die in medical oppsies . And this link.

Weekend gun violence across Chicago pushed the city to 500 homicides since the start of the year, as 11 people were killed, four of them in a single shooting, and 29 others wounded in attacks across Chicago between Friday evening and Monday morning.

Posted
1 hour ago, JulieM said:

It was very definitely a mass shooting, so I disagree.  

There were just many doing the shooting instead of just one.

Definition of mass shooting:

"A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of firearms-related violence. ... Another unofficial definition of a mass shooting is an event involving the shooting (not necessarily resulting in death) of four or more people with no cooling-off period."

I realized that’s the unofficial definition, I just think it’s vague enough to be completely worthless.  

In my opinion, conext matters. Both the Sand Creek massacre and the Vegas shooting can be defined as a ‘mass shooting’ but they are events that differ so widely in context and outcome that using the lowest common denominator to define them just seems dumb to me.

I don’t understand why people are so invested in applying the term as widely as possible. Do they think that “mass shooting” is somehow the worst label you can give a violent event?  Like, if you don’t call MMM a mass shooting then somehow it is being devalued?  

What’s the point of calling it a mass shooting?  From my perspective, generalizing gun violence so that all such events (where at least 4 people are injured) bear the same label, while ignoring the context of the event, dumbs down history without any upside. 

In your opinion, what is gained by giving MMM that label?   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JulieM said:

"A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of firearms-related violence. ... Another unofficial definition of a mass shooting is an event involving the shooting (not necessarily resulting in death) of four or more people with no cooling-off period."

4 people being shot hardly constitutes a mass shooting.   Whomever decided that the number should be 4 if I was to guess was a gun control person in order to inflate the numbers.   We should not compare the shooting of 4 people with the shooting of 20 or 50 people.  But that definition just lumps them all as the same.  

If we are going to consider 4 people to be a "mass" of something, then I guess if 4 people walk into a deserted beach, we should say the people came on the beach in mass or better yet if 4 WW2 soldiers walked on a Pacific Island, we should say the military stormed the beach in mass.

Edited by carbon dioxide
Posted
1 minute ago, carbon dioxide said:

4 people being shot hardly constitutes a mass shooting.   Whomever decided that the number should be 4 if I was to guess was a gun control person in order to inflate the numbers.   We should not compare the shooting of 4 people with the shooting of 20 or 50 people.  But that definition just lumps them all as the same. 

Hey, I don't really agree with comparing what took place in Vegas with the MMM (or complaining about it, etc.).  My point was that the MMM was definitely a "mass shooting", IMO.  I'm not sure why anyone would think it wasn't when over 100 men, women and children were killed.  I know some were killed by other means, but enough were murdered by being shot to rightly call it a mass shooting.

Posted
2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

 

Weekend gun violence across Chicago pushed the city to 500 homicides since the start of the year, as 11 people were killed, four of them in a single shooting, and 29 others wounded in attacks across Chicago between Friday evening and Monday morning.

Honestly, a big part of it is the fear that such attacks (at random malls, concerts, streets etc.) could get any one of us.  No one is safe.

Murders in Chicago are tragic, but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to be killed in Chicago gang violence in the wrong part of town.  

Posted
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

......................................................

I don’t understand why people are so invested in applying the term as widely as possible. Do they think that “mass shooting” is somehow the worst label you can give a violent event?  Like, if you don’t call MMM a mass shooting then somehow it is being devalued?  

What’s the point of calling it a mass shooting? .................. 

In your opinion, what is gained by giving MMM that label?   

Yes, and how many of the MMM victims were shot?  How many stabbed to death?

Posted

Unfortunately the Bowling Green Massacre is not accepted as a mass shooting for some reason.

There is a worry that this attack could be copied by terrorist organizations. I asked a friend who works in that field why more organizations do not try attacks like this. He gave his unofficial opinion that it takes a psychopathic person to do this. Most Islamic terrorists and other extremist groups are filled with fanatics but psychopaths are rarer. Detonating a bomb or even blowing yourself up is psychologically easier then a sustained firearm attack lasting minutes. Many attackers would have emotional and psychological problems carrying out such an attack.

Unofficial, but I thought it was an interesting take.

Posted
1 hour ago, cinepro said:

Honestly, a big part of it is the fear that such attacks (at random malls, concerts, streets etc.) could get any one of us.  No one is safe.

Murders in Chicago are tragic, but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to be killed in Chicago gang violence in the wrong part of town.  

Most likely not and neither will I but one time I git lost driving to downtown Chicago and ended up on the southside. I pulled into a convenient store and asked for diections back to I-94. The lady at the counter took one look at my white suburban self and said, “listen carefully. You do NOT want ot get lost in this neighborhood”. She was legitimately concerned for me and I appreciated that. She gave me the directions I aksed for and I got back on track to my destination. I had a date with me that day and we never went out again after that. :)

Posted
3 hours ago, JulieM said:

Hey, I don't really agree with comparing what took place in Vegas with the MMM (or complaining about it, etc.).  My point was that the MMM was definitely a "mass shooting", IMO.  I'm not sure why anyone would think it wasn't when over 100 men, women and children were killed.  I know some were killed by other means, but enough were murdered by being shot to rightly call it a mass shooting.

I agree that MMM would constitute a mass shooting.  I guess so would the events at Waco in 1993.  My complaint is people defining a mass shooting when 4 people are shot.  4 people does not constitute a mass of anything in my book.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

I agree that MMM would constitute a mass shooting.  I guess so would the events at Waco in 1993.  My complaint is people defining a mass shooting when 4 people are shot.  4 people does not constitute a mass of anything in my book.

I lean to agreeing with you but at the same time it's a sad commentary that 4 people getting blasted isn't registering much outrage and plans in place to do anything about it. People are gobsmacked that this continues to happen which is what happens if you do nothing to fix a problem, like meh. In our city if there is a whiff of someone seen carrying a gun or unsheathed knife or weapon of some sort police are on the scene if you know what I mean

Edited by Duncan
Posted

I’m surprised to see people hung up on the term mass shooting.  The comparison is an obvious one to me.  A bunch of innocent unarmed people were shot.  More injured in Las Vegas, more killed at mmm.  Both unbelievably disgusting both inbelievably vile.  

Getting worked up because someone critical points out the obvious, getting hung up on the term mass shooting, seems unreasonable to me.  

But whatever... I guess I’ll temain confused by the objections. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...