Baptism At 8 / No Baptism

Does anyone have any experience with children growing up in the church that chose not to get baptized at age 8 for whatever reason? What was their social experience with not getting baptized?

Does anyone have any experience with children growing up in the church that chose not to get baptized at age 8 for whatever reason? What was their social experience with not getting baptized?

My own child.  He wasn't personally ready.  No one noticed.

On the other hand I home taught a young woman of 11 who converted with parental permission, but lacking parental understanding of what the church was, and the covenants she was making.  She was not supported by her parent when it came to keeping the covenants made in her decision when it came to the word of wisdom and chastity she experienced several years of difficulty which led to her being estranged from the church and falling away.  This was despite the efforts of the entire ward to accept her and love her as we would our own.

This certainly colors my view of baptism for social reasons.

It also colors my feelings about the age at which a child should be baptized depending on the support system in place to help them grow in the covenants they have made.

Edited by KevinG
  • Upvote 3

I hardly believe their are any 8 year olds that are ready to make a lifetime commitment. The vast majority of 8 year old baptisms are just a right of passage in the church. True understanding of what they have covenanted comes later.

My son insisted on waiting "until he was ready".

He decided he was ready at 9 and a half.

Only a year and a half, but I was proud that he made his own decision. The delay was noticed but I backed him up at every turn.

• Upvote 1

I think age 8 is the baseline of when baptism can occur.   That does not mean it must start there.  The age of accountability is set at 8 but I think that is a general number. Not all kids mature at the same pace.  Some might not be accountable to God until 10.  God knows the circumstance for each kid but just gives the 8 year as the limit.  Don't baptize before 8.   Without a baseline, people might start baptizing earlier and earlier until babies are being baptized.  God knows the habits of human beings and what they will do if certain boundaries are not established.

Edited by carbon dioxide
  • Upvote 1

If a child is not baptized at eight, do they then have to take the missionary lessons before they can be baptized latter on?

Yes, any person age 9 or over must complete the missionary lessons before baptism and is then considered a convert rather than a child of record.

My own child.  He wasn't personally ready.  No one noticed.

We recently had a baptism in our ward of a young man who refused baptism at age 8. Like Kevin wrote, no one had noticed.

The vast majority of 8 year old baptisms are just a right of passage in the church. True understanding of what they have covenanted comes later.

I used to feel this way ... until I taught a class of 7-year-olds in America. I was blown away with how understanding and prepared most of the children were, though one in particular was clueless.

When I was a ward mission leader an active member family chose to delay the baptism of their 8-year-old, thinking he was not ready. He was a fine boy, and I thought their decision singular, but we honored the family's wishes.

Because he was over age 8 it was technically a convert baptism, so it fell to the full time missionaries to teach him, supported by us stake (ward) missionaries. I arranged the baptismal service and conducted. It was a very nice affair.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Yes, any person age 9 or over must complete the missionary lessons before baptism and is then considered a convert rather than a child of record.

Thank you.  I thought that might be the case.  As I missionary, we taught several children from part member families, and as I recall our mission counted them as convert baptisms.

With more and more children being raised as precious little snowflakes who's parents do anything to not have them melt, I think Bishop's should be much more cautious in red stamping many baptisms of young children.

Only a year and a half, but I was proud that he made his own decision. The delay was noticed but I backed him up at every turn.

I think it is wonderful that you did it this way,

Well, of course he rebelled against the norm, being raised in a house of relativism ;)  (just poking fun at you, as always)

Mark, did your son have to take the missionary lessons?

ETA: I think he should proudly tell everyone that he is a convert to Mormonism :)

Edited by MiserereNobis

No close personal experience, but I've seen some parents chose not to baptize their children because they have various mental/developmental issues and I've see some chose to baptize their children in spite of developmental issues.

If it were me, I'd likely choose the latter if I were in their shoes simply because I think it's a net negative for these children to grow up with yet another difference from the rest of their peers.

I think it a great idea to have even children raised in the church to receive the missionary lessons before being baptized, even if at 8.

• Upvote 1

I think it a great idea to have even children raised in the church to receive the missionary lessons before being baptized, even if at 8.

My wife and I are both returned missionaries. With each of our kids we taught them together the missionary discussions before they were baptized.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Five Solas
      Full disclosure:  I subscribe to believer baptism (also called credobaptism).  I find the order of events throughout the New Testament (particularly the Book of Acts) persuasive, baptism follows conversion and not the other way round.  My oldest is 9 and she has not yet been baptized.  We’ve talked about it and she’s thought about it – but it’s not something she’s yet asked to do nor do we want her to feel pressured or feel that baptism is something she should do because it’s what her parents desire for her.  When the time is right, it will come from her, not from us.
      Now that acknowledged, I respect the arguments made by those who practice infant baptism.  Certainly nowhere in the Bible is this practice forbidden.  I’m very comfortable with Christians following their conscience on the matter.
      So now with all that said, I wanted to explore the topic of baptism and Christianity here.  A few weeks back an LDS poster told me I was mistaken to have claimed to have become a Christian in my 30’s – he wrote: "Sorry to interrupt, but if you were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ at age 8, then you were already a Christian."
      I found the statement startling and its implication profound.  If I were a Christian all along—then the change in my life when I came to profess faith must be attributable to something else, something besides the converting work of the Holy Spirit.  But the point here isn’t to encourage speculation on my life or motives, the point is to illustrate why the question matters, why it is important and worth our time to consider.
      So what do folks here think, does baptism make a person a Christian?
      --Erik

• By hope_for_things
      Avatar4321 and Scott Lloyd were challenging my assertion that virtually every Mormon doctrine has changed and evolved over time.  So a topic was picked for discussion and I'm opening this thread for us to discuss.  The topic is Baptism.  To represent the most recent official teachings about this doctrine, I'm going to use two sources.  First is the LDS.org site, and the second link is the entry in the Encyclopedia of Mormonism.  
      https://www.lds.org/topics/baptism?lang=eng
      http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Baptism
      It will take me a little time to look at some of the sources for doctrinal development, but an interesting essay that I just started reading (anyone can get a free account at JSTOR, just sign up) is this essay in the JMH by Jonathan A. Stapley and Kristine L. Wright titled ""They Shall Be Made Whole": A History of Baptism for Health".  It starts by talking about the history of rebaptism in the church and then expands on the use of baptism for the purposes of healing an individual with health problems, both of these rituals are no longer performed today in the church.   
      http://www.jstor.org/stable/23290830?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
      Well, lets get started, thanks

• By mfbukowski
      Can non-members have their sins forgiven through the atonement without being a member of the church? (without being baptized?)
      The question seems to me to obviously be "YES" without question, and I am sticking to that.  THAT is my belief and interpretation of doctrine and I am not likely to change it unless the spirit testifies otherwise to me
      It seems to me that the atonement is a requirement for the ordinance to even exist, that Christ said to the thief that he would be in paradise, obviously without baptism, and we have other instances of Christ forgiving sins without baptism.
      Because John Williams made the assertion, and we often do not get along, I will avoid further comments- I have made my opinion known.
      Here is a link to one of the assertions made:
      http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/67921-disciples-of-christ-or-disciples-of-church/?do=findComment&comment=1209650942
      I suppose this will inevitably end up being about ssm, but I really would like to stay on the topic of whether or not baptism is a pre-requisite for having sins forgiven through the atonement
      THAT is the question I am interested in
    • By Darren10
      Here's what I just posted on my facebook wall:
      From reading a couple of Mathew L. Bowen's (Matt Bowen's) articles and from chatting with him directly on facebook, I can say that Bowen is a master at breaking down words to their etymological roots. He also implements onomasticon usage in order to find deeper meaning behind proper names. In one article, Founded Upon a Rock: Doctrinal and Temple Implications of Peter’s Surnaming, at Mormon Interpreter, Bowen used a wide range of scriptures in order to demonstrate the meaning behind Peter being the rock upon which Jesus Christ would found His church. In his most recent article at mormon Interpreter, called, “Most Desirable Above All Things”: Onomastic Play on Mary and Mormon in the Book of Mormon, Bowen continues this task with the Book of Mormon on the names Mary and Mormon.
      Nephi's vision of the tree of life in the Book of Mormon has always stood out to me as one of the most honorary passages in all of scripture regarding Mary the mother of God. Bowen points to an Egyptian origin of the name Mary as deriving from the word "mr" - "mr(y)" or "mr(i)". "mr" in ancient Egyptian means desire, love, or wish. In Nephi's vision of the tree of life, the fruits represent God's love to the world through giving the world his Son, Jesus Christ. Nephi describes the fruit as being the "most desirable" over anything else. And in order to explain the tree and its fruit, Nephi had a vision of "a virgin". This virgin was described by Nephi as, "A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins". The spirit of the lord then explains to Nephi that this virgin [is to be] the mother of the Son of God. It is striking that Mary means desire or love and was chosen by God to give birth to Him whose love should be desired above everything else.
      Bowen then focuses on the name Mormon. Bowne cites Hugh Nibley who originally proposed that Mormon is derived from the Egyptian "mr" + "mn". As noted beforehand, "mr" means, desire, love, wish and "mn" means enduring, firm, established. This is very interesting since of the most significant baptismal events noted in the Book of Mormon took place at the "waters of Mormon". Furthermore, Mormon, more than anyone else in the Book of Mormon narrative, details love and charity. Mormon pronounces charity as "the pure love of Christ" and that it is absolutely necessary to obtain charity and "endure to the end" with it. The Book of Mormon also connects baptism as a conversion of oneself into a new person. this new person should obtain the love of Christ and a love of / for their fellow man. I was pretty much stunned by what is a new scriptural insight for me.
      Bowne connects Mary and Mormon together and demonstrates how the principle authors of the Book of Mormon knew precisely the meaning of these two names and used them to teach gospel truths to their audiences. this happened in their own ancient settings and I am thankful that Mathew Bowen has pointed this out for Book of Mormon readers today.
      http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/most-desirable-above-all-things-onomastic-play-on-mary-and-mormon-in-the-book-of-mormon/
    • By trim
      I recently reread Eugene England's essay, On Fidelity, Polygamy, and Celestial Marriage, and I was perplexed by this line:

I have sat in a number of lessons and discussions that suggested that death before the age of accountability is a free pass to the Celestial Kingdom.  In fact, this assertion came up in my quorum meeting this week.  Brother England's belief sounds reasonable, but it seems to oppose the majority opinion.  

Do you know of any sources to support his opinion/interpretation?