Russell C McGregor Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 I support the ordination of my two females dogs before these women from OW are ordained. Umm, are you sure that's what you wanted to say?
MorningStar Posted August 31, 2015 Author Posted August 31, 2015 Manti Pageant iirc. I think they've spread the tradition to additional pageants though. And don't forget they caused problems the previous year because they insisted on all going to use the restrooms provided on the private grounds by the Church at the same time and caused major backup for the actual attendees. Those long dresses and petticoats really slowed things down. It seems the height of arrogance to go protest an event and then use the possessions of those who are running the event for one's own personal comfort. Bring your own portapotty, women! That was hilarious. Drive to the nearest gas station if you don't want to pee your pants. But then they might make you buy a Snickers or something.
juliann Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 Yes, since they are apparently not going to be in the designated areas for demonstrators, you have to get city permissions for that and there was no mention to them. Temple Square is private property. There were two men arrested though the case was dismissed awhile back when they started kissing. IIRC Security showed up and the story is there was some aggression on their part which they denied and then the cops showed up and took over. The policemen were complimented by the gay community for how they treated the situation which is interesting in that one of those cops was the one who later resigned when he was suspended for asking to switch off the motorcycle squad for the gay pride parade....and now I am off topic so will stop on that. They haven't gotten arrested either time they protested though I am pretty sure they could have. I am wondering if they are pushing the boundaries in hope of being arrested this time in order to perk up media interest. If I was them, I'd be worried this go round. I don't think they evoke the sympathy they once did. The Church seems to have lost very little in not accommodating them and I doubt there is even less to lose by having them removed this time.....especially if they plan on spreading out. It is just such a waste of good will to continue annoying members on a special day. 2
Kenngo1969 Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 sneak preview of the first vignette;Party pooper!
Popular Post Scott Lloyd Posted August 31, 2015 Popular Post Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) Manti Pageant iirc. I think they've spread the tradition to additional pageants though.And don't forget they caused problems the previous year because they insisted on all going to use the restrooms provided on the private grounds by the Church at the same time and caused major backup for the actual attendees. Those long dresses and petticoats really slowed things down.It seems the height of arrogance to go protest an event and then use the possessions of those who are running the event for one's own personal comfort. Bring your own portapotty, women! It was an extreme example of juvenile entitlement mentality as expressed in the book title "Get out of My Life -- But First, Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall?"The funniest and most memorable post in our board discussion of that occurrence was when one of the posters here said of the public complaints of one of the women, "If I had peed my pants, I would have taken that secret to my grave." Edited August 31, 2015 by Scott Lloyd 5
Kenngo1969 Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) ... It is just such a waste of good will to continue annoying members on a special day.Meh. No one can annoy me without my consent, and if I'm not gonna let the street screechers annoy me (I walked through that gauntlet after October Conference last year: street screechers on one side, youth and missionaries singing hymns on the other ... Geez, has it really almost been a whole year already? ) I'm certainly not going to give this crew, misguided though I may believe them to be, enough notice as to become annoyed by what they do. Edited August 31, 2015 by Kenngo1969 1
Popular Post DBMormon Posted August 31, 2015 Popular Post Posted August 31, 2015 My questions are what % of active LDS members are aware that Mormon Women performed ordinances outside of the temple in early Church history? How many are aware that they seemed to officiate in some level of priesthood outside the temple in early LDS history. My followup question is would knowing such historical details influence these members to be more likely or less likely to support the church taking a major step forward and allowing women to return to these responsibilities? My next question is what other legitimate ways are available for such a cause to work towards making LDS members aware of that history? Personally I am not comfortable with the demands. I am not comfortable with any protesting on church property. But I am comfortable with asking the question and working to raise awareness of said history. 8
readstoomuch Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 My questions are what % of active LDS members are aware that Mormon Women performed ordinances outside of the temple in early Church history? How many are aware that they seemed to officiate in some level of priesthood outside the temple in early LDS history. My followup question is would knowing such historical details influence these members to be more likely or less likely to support the church taking a major step forward and allowing women to return to these responsibilities? My next question is what other legitimate ways are available for such a cause to work towards making LDS members aware of that history? Personally I am not comfortable with the demands. I am not comfortable with any protesting on church property. But I am comfortable with asking the question and working to raise awareness of said history.The history of women blessing/exercising priesthood power is interesting. I think if Ordain Women would work on that angle instead of demanding ordination and protesting on Church property during Conference they would have greater acceptance. As it is, they may have slowed down or damaged the conversation that was happening within the Church to expand the role of women. Many of the women within this organization have become inactive or marginally active members. This includes my own daughter. 2
mfbukowski Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 All gall is divided into three parts...Oh my gosh! LOL but in pain!
Calm Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 I got that. I was wondering if they were going to show actual events and if so, what are the actual events? If it is just vignettes of possible uses of authority that might have occurred in the past, then I'm not all that interested.Probably a lot of them are from diaries. Wasn't Patty Sessions a midwife and in her journal relates healings. Possibly from the Nauvoo RS Minutes. Possibly temple records as healings were done in the temple by women until the early 1900s. I believe they have documentation for all their claims, whether their interpretation is correct...that healings and such were done by the priesthood held by the women...everyone will need to decide for themselves. You can find the documentation on their site, probably in more than one place. Unless I am misremembering, it was included in their lessons, at least as further readings.
Calm Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 "The funniest and most memorable post in our board discussion of that occurrence was when one of the posters here said of the public complaints of one of the women, "If I had peed my pants, I would have taken that secret to my grave"And who would that have been? A UMW perhaps? 1
Calm Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) ]Meh. No one can annoy me without my consent, and if I'm not gonna let the street screechers annoy me (I walked through that gauntlet after October Conference last year: street screechers on one side, youth and missionaries singing hymns on the other ... Geez, has it really almost been a whole year already? ) I'm certainly not going to give this crew, misguided though I may believe them to be, enough notice as to become annoyed by what they do.Will you be singing this year? Edited August 31, 2015 by calmoriah
Kenngo1969 Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) ]Will you be singing this year?Alas, I'll probably be working both Saturday and Sunday. Edited August 31, 2015 by Kenngo1969
Calm Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 My questions are what % of active LDS members are aware that Mormon Women performed ordinances outside of the temple in early Church history? How many are aware that they seemed to officiate in some level of priesthood outside the temple in early LDS history. My followup question is would knowing such historical details influence these members to be more likely or less likely to support the church taking a major step forward and allowing women to return to these responsibilities? My next question is what other legitimate ways are available for such a cause to work towards making LDS members aware of that history? Personally I am not comfortable with the demands. I am not comfortable with any protesting on church property. But I am comfortable with asking the question and working to raise awareness of said history.Don't do it at Conference time. Write a play and take it around to perform, but that would actually require long term sacrifice rather than a one day party of look at me! A number of plays, such as I Am Jane, one on Emmeline Wells are already available....choose a number of women they feel were leaders or had interesting lives and then don't make up words but let them say how they understood it. Increase love for these women first, and then present the part where they healed etc. softer touch increase feelings of sisterhood, they won't come across as aggressive no longer asking then to take it in prayer to God, but give it to us now, 4
MorningStar Posted August 31, 2015 Author Posted August 31, 2015 It was an extreme example of juvenile entitlement mentality as expressed in the book title "Get out of My Life -- But First, Can You Drive Me to the Mall?"The funniest and most memorable post in our board discussion of that occurrence was when one of the posters here said of the public complaints of one of the women, "If I had peed my pants, I would have taken that secret to my grave." Sounds like something I said.
Scott Lloyd Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 Sounds like something I said. I was thinking either you or Bluebell -- or perhaps calmoriah. I laughed heartily when I read it. Just thinking of it still gives me chuckles. 2
Tacenda Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) Hey, some of OW's shenanigans have worked, imo. Sad that the change couldn't come from other means, again, imo. Edited August 31, 2015 by Tacenda
MorningStar Posted August 31, 2015 Author Posted August 31, 2015 I was thinking either you or Bluebell -- or perhaps calmoriah. I laughed heartily when I read it. Just thinking of it still gives me chuckles.I'm 99% sure that was me. I said pretty much the same thing when my friend and her son went on a hike and couldn't find a private place to go to the bathroom, so they both peed their pants.
why me Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) Hey, some of OW's shenanigans have worked, imo. Sad that the change couldn't come from other means, again, imo. Of course the change should come from heavenly father. For after all it is the mormon church, a church that counts heavenly father as its head. At the end of the day, this is the tactic OW should have taken. Pray to heavenly father for a change. All pressure agitation will not work if the church wishes to remain credible. Either it is god's church or it is led by mere human beings without any heavenly foundation. It just depends on who is actually leading the church. Edited August 31, 2015 by why me
busybee Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 Ordain Women is returning to Temple Square this Conference, October 3, 2015. We need your support! Starting 12:00 noon, we will engage in a guerrilla art action. In various locations around Temple Square, we will create vignettes using live participants, who will depict various times in Mormon history when women have had priesthood authority or exercised spiritual authority to perform blessings and other priesthood functions. These vignettes will remind our leaders that during the course of Mormon history, women have exercised much more authority than allowed today.Starting at 4:00 pm, after the second session, the actors will again assemble in their vignettes. At the first vignette, we will begin a procession. All of us will walk together from vignette to vignette, asking these strong women of the past to join in procession. As a group, we will arrive at City Creek Park. The Artist Ginny Huo has designed a structure with a gate to which keys can be attached. One by one, we will symbolically attach a key, and pass through the gate. We will let Church leaders know that it is time that women be ordained and take their place as full equals with their brothers in the church.-----Then they ask for help and money.Why the heck don't these silly women get out in the world and do something worth while. 'Have I done any good etc etc.' UGH!!!!
why me Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) Why the heck don't these silly women get out in the world and do something worth while. 'Have I done any good etc etc.' UGH!!!!I don't think that their notion of feminism is very mature. Yesterday I was listening to one of john's podcasts with lindsey Hansen Park. She chewed gum the whole time and played with her hair. Not good during an interview. And she didn't show much depth with her responses. Mormon feminism seems to be immature and infantile when we consider feminism as an academic discipline. Lindsey's call to her own claim to be an independent mormon was to wear a tank top for the interview she claimed. But of course, this is only my opinion. Edited August 31, 2015 by why me 1
Gray Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 (edited) Yes, let's compare women to dogs. That will show them! Disgusting. Comments like that only underscore some of the points that OW is trying to make. I believe gender discrimination in the church subtly reinforces and justifies other forms of sexism in people's minds. Edited August 31, 2015 by Gray 1
rockpond Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 Hey, some of OW's shenanigans have worked, imo. Sad that the change couldn't come from other means, again, imo. We've seen some good strides by the Church over the past few years...Women finally praying in Gen Con.Leadership positions created in missions for Sister Missionaries.General Women's session being acknowledged as part of Gen Con.And, most recently, some of our female general authorities being placed on the top councils of the church.Obviously these aren't all entirely due to the actions of OW, but I believe their voice played a part. I like the idea of the living art vignettes to depict times in Mormon history when the women had exercised more authority. I guess we'll see how it comes off but I like the idea. 3
Tacenda Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 Of course the change should come from heavenly father. For after all it is the mormon church, a church that counts heavenly father as its head. At the end of the day, this is the tactic OW should have taken. Pray to heavenly father for a change. All pressure agitation will not work if the church wishes to remain credible. Either it is god's church or it is led by mere human beings without any heavenly foundation. It just depends on who is actually leading the church.Sometimes the church works like a corporation, imo. It's called "policy".
Tacenda Posted August 31, 2015 Posted August 31, 2015 I don't think that their notion of feminism is very mature. Yesterday I was listening to one of john's podcasts with lindsey Hansen Park. She chewed gum the whole time and played with her hair. Not good during an interview. And she didn't show much depth with her responses. Mormon feminism seems to be immature and infantile when we consider feminism as an academic discipline. Lindsey's call to her own claim to be an independent mormon was to wear a tank top for the interview she claimed. But of course, this is only my opinion.That wasn't a tank top, but do agree she seemed young...because she is young, lol.
Recommended Posts