When Do You Start Listening To Christmas Music?

Rivers

This year I started a few weeks before Halloween. I was working on some songs for this years Ward Christmas Party. Doing some TSO.

Good King Joy.

Wizards of Winter.

Memories by Savatage. About 15 mins worth of stuff. Keep the program nice and short.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Do you start at the beginning of December? The day after Thanksgiving? The day after Halloween?

I personally think that Christmas music before Thanksgiving is blasphemous.

I agree never before Thanksgiving ...I suffer from growing tired if too soon. I seldom sing in Church except when Christmas songs...everyone living should know the story behind, "I heard the bells on Christmas Day".

BTW...love "Breath of Heaven" by Amy Grant

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

For Catholics Christmas starts Dec. 25th and that is when we celebrate liturgically. The days leading up to that are penitential. Since my family and I are still culturally Protestant, we tend to start about a week before the 25th with the Tree and music and all. Its hardest on Mom. Christmas Eve used to be a big feast when we were pagans and now it is a day of fasting! Since we wait to start, it seems kind of sad to see everybody else just wrap up so soon...Advent, Christmas, Epiphany...another pageant. I love the Church calendar. It isn't something that is just compatible with Catholicism. Everybody could do a calendar that commemorates the events of the Gospel. You Mormons...you should think about it. You're only 200 years old. Our calendar was fairly well established already by now. You live the Gospel for about half a year...from Advent in the end of November until Pentecost, end of May or early June. The last half is wrapping up redemption history; Its so beautiful. You have to call us apostate, but this (the church calendar) isn't apostasy. You and your children would benefit. 

Whenever they start playing it in the stores! I don't otherwise listen to it, drives me crazy!

Drives me crazy too... Christmas has lost much of it's magic IMO... so commercial now...

GG

For Catholics Christmas starts Dec. 25th and that is when we celebrate liturgically. The days leading up to that are penitential. Since my family and I are still culturally Protestant, we tend to start about a week before the 25th with the Tree and music and all. Its hardest on Mom. Christmas Eve used to be a big feast when we were pagans and now it is a day of fasting! Since we wait to start, it seems kind of sad to see everybody else just wrap up so soon...Advent, Christmas, Epiphany...another pageant. I love the Church calendar. It isn't something that is just compatible with Catholicism. Everybody could do a calendar that commemorates the events of the Gospel. You Mormons...you should think about it. You're only 200 years old. Our calendar was fairly well established already by now. You live the Gospel for about half a year...from Advent in the end of November until Pentecost, end of May or early June. The last half is wrapping up redemption history; Its so beautiful. You have to call us apostate, but this (the church calendar) isn't apostasy. You and your children would benefit. 

Perhaps you chould start a thread and go into more details about this. IT sounds interesting.

I don't want to die sometime in the year and miss this years Christmas music. As for the rest of commercial Christmas I am a BAH HUMBUG kind of person.

There are very few carols that I enjoy... and I can't stand to sing them in Church unless it is Away in the Manger etc... I am a BAH HUMBUG person also... because Christmas has taken on such a commercial status.  Parents running around trying to buy presents they can't afford for kids that mostly don't appreciate them... and don't give a thought to the cost... I can't believe the cost of "games, gadgets and gizmos" these days and kids expect them...

Bah! Humbug!

GG

There are very few carols that I enjoy... and I can't stand to sing them in Church unless it is Away in the Manger etc... I am a BAH HUMBUG person also... because Christmas has taken on such a commercial status.  Parents running around trying to buy presents they can't afford for kids that mostly don't appreciate them... and don't give a thought to the cost... I can't believe the cost of "games, gadgets and gizmos" these days and kids expect them...

Bah! Humbug!

GG

Watch out for those three ghosts. :lol:

Personally, I usually wait until the end of November to start listening to Christmas music in general, though i'll throw some on if it's a snowy day any time of the year and i'm in the mood.

I LOVE Pandora's Jim Brickman Holiday station-instrumental Christmas music is so beautiful!

As for stores-I hate that they start Christmas so early now.  I was in a couple stores before Halloween and they already had their Christmas displays going up!  And I was in Barnes and Noble last weekend and they were playing Christmas music on a loop. 

It makes me so mad because to me I see it as an abuse of Christmas.  These stores don't care about the significance of the holiday.  They aren't in it for the magic of santa and sugar plum fairies, or for the sacredness of celebrating Christ's birth.  They are solely in it for the money and they play Christmas music to try to entice people into spending money they otherwise wouldn't spend.

:angry:

I usually wait until at least December, but as I was cursing all the Christmas music on the radio today Bing Crosby's White Christmas came on and my "not yet" feelings began to melt away...

Do you start at the beginning of December?  The day after Thanksgiving?  The day after Halloween?

I personally think that Christmas music before Thanksgiving is blasphemous. 

I listen to Handel's "Messiah" with the volume "nail popping" loud several times a year.  Not very interested in secular non-Christmas music

Christmas commercials are now starting up, grrrr.

Amen.  Why can't they wait until after Christmas...if they have to, find do specials on toys, etc. but leave off the Christmas theme...or just do a generic commercial referring to "the holidays".