Seriously No Politics ×

Conference discussion

10 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

Elder Holland:  if the ox is in the mire every week, we strongly advise you to sell the ox and fill the mire.

Some spend all day Saturday getting the ox into the mire.

50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

His wife died just before the last conference. He seems to be holding up well. 

I drove up after the last session in October to greet him during the viewing. He and I have had personal associations. He is a favorite of mine. 

I enjoyed his brief sketch of  his life beginning with is mission in 1948.  Loved his cute comment about Pres Nelson leaving him breathless.  ☺️

8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Thank you!  I don’t know why I didn’t think to just listen.  It was worth the money. 

The Federal Prison on Terminal Island was within our ward boundaries, so we made sure to get DVD copies of Conference to them at some point.  The LDS guys there couldn't stream it, but desperately wanted to see it eventually.  They were allowed to spend several hours on Sundays watching it.

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Disagree of course.

In your perspective, probably.

I suggest you listen to more than one line of the talk and see the whole thing as the perspectives evolve.

1 hour ago, member10_1 said:

Not so sure about that. His illustration of dots and the eye seemed explain the “my truth” idea rather than debunk it.

1 hour ago, pogi said:

Not necessarily.  He is expressing “his truth” 😁

He established that absolute truth (God’s truth) exists, and that our individual perspectives (our truth) affects our experience with it.  

He established that the elephant does indeed exists, but as Elder Uchtdorf previously noted that we are all still blind men with individual perspectives (our truth) of THE Truth (God’s perspective) - the elephant. 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I agree with Scott. The illustration showed that perspective matters in recognizing truth. It did not teach that the image the dots made was accurate regardless of the pattern they made. 

I have no problem with people talking about “my perspective” and “your perspective,” but perspective is not synonymous with truth and should not be confused therewith. Truth is what it is; perspective doesn’t change it. 

An illustration: Perspective makes it seem that parallel rails converge in the distance; reality — or truth — is that they remain parallel as far as they go. 

To say it another way, personal perspective can be, and very often is, wrong. Truth, by definition, cannot be wrong. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The Federal Prison on Terminal Island was within our ward boundaries, so we made sure to get DVD copies of Conference to them at some point.  The LDS guys there couldn't stream it, but desperately wanted to see it eventually.  They were allowed to spend several hours on Sundays watching it.

I feel them.  I’m trapped in a window seat.  I foolishly used the hotel gym yesterday and I’m beyond sore. I desperately need a stretch and a walk outside.  AlaskaAirPrison. 

So... I’m humbled by the call to step up my presentation game on Sundays.  I’m often a few minutes late AND I don’t care if I’m not pretty on Sundays.  Time to go shopping for nicer dresses and a clock.  Time to show respect. I can do that. 

Elder [Andersen] and the Proclamation on the Family: monumental.

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

I enjoy listening for anyone I know getting "promoted"

That actually happens here in the "Mission Field".  ;)

Guys you hung out with end up as temple presidents and GA's !

Someone close to me just got called as a GA, and my first thought was how radically their lives will change. My wife mentioned that he had just been released from his prior calling, and I said, jokingly, that’s because he’s going to be a GA. Not terribly surprised, but it will be interesting where they end up. 

I would imagine there is truth, but since we all have various backgrounds and reactions and influences, all we have is our own perspectives of that truth.  Every single person living in the planet is influenced by his or her own experiences. 

I trust the leaders of our church to be more in tune than I with Gods will because they spend seemingly every day in the constant service of God.  

That said, they are as in need of the atonement as I am - and this because they are imperfect. 

I’m glad for leaders who say “gain your own testimony and relationship with God”.  

There will be inconsistencies.  I’m flexible with that.  I also appreciate being trusted to search for The Truth with my perspective.  

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Combined choirs from BYU. 

I was just thinking that President Eyring seemed more robust than usual. His voice was not as quavery. 

He’s a good man. I hope he is with us a good while yet. 

Ah thanks.

funny, I thought he sounded like he was losing his voice 😊. I’m sure he’s doing fine! 

55 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I agree with Scott. The illustration showed that perspective matters in recognizing truth. It did not teach that the image the dots made was accurate regardless of the pattern they made. 

But at what point can you say that the pattern you see in the dots is the “accurate” or “true” pattern? You may see an eye, but is that the “true pattern”? Let’s say that at one angle the dots look like a horse and at another they look like an eye, which pattern is the truth? 

6 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Ah thanks.

funny, I thought he sounded like he was losing his voice 😊. I’m sure he’s doing fine! 

He always sounds to me like he’s on the verge of weeping. I’ve concluded that a lot of that is due to the physical character of his voice. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 minutes ago, member10_1 said:

But at what point can you say that the pattern you see in the dots is the “accurate” or “true” pattern? You may see an eye, but is that the “true pattern”? Let’s say that at one angle the dots look like a horse and at another they look like an eye, which pattern is the truth? 

Just because you don’t readily discern truth, that doesn’t mean truth doesn’t exist. 

11 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Someone close to me just got called as a GA, and my first thought was how radically their lives will change. My wife mentioned that he had just been released from his prior calling, and I said, jokingly, that’s because he’s going to be a GA. Not terribly surprised, but it will be interesting where they end up. 

By “their” do you mean his and his wife’s?

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Yes of course and that is why there are no church commercials on TV showing anyone who is non- white because the church is racist just as I am.

The church sees the need- and you don't.  So where does that put you on the racist scale?

I'm done.  Calling me racist should get you throw off the board.

Wherever it is on “the racist scale,”’ I place myself among those who believe the content of one’s character transcends the color of one’s skin. And, apart from the social anxiety I typically feel in most any unfamiliar situation, I don’t feature myself being uncomfortable in a congregation of Latter-day Saints just because it is ethnically or culturally diverse. 

But if you want to try to get me banned, have at it. Might be for the best. I’ve been feeling more and more like I don’t fit in here anyway. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
9 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Wherever it is on “the racist scale,”’ I place myself among those who believe the content of one’s character transcends the color of one’s skin. And, apart from the social anxiety I typically feel in unfamiliar situations, I don’t feature myself being uncomfortable in a congregation of Latter-day Saints just because it is ethnically or culturally diverse. 

But if you want to try to get me banned, have at it. Might be for the best. I’ve been feeling more and more like I don’t fit in here anyway. 

Please. Do not leave. I disagree with you a lot. I mean - a lot!  But, we need diversity of ideas and perspectives in our church (and in this group).  This board would be worse off without you.

3 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Honestly you have to see it through my eyes.

When I go to a shopping mall or any public place locally-  if I even take care to notice it, I am OFTEN the only "white" person in the entire store or maybe there may be 1 or 2 others, but I almost never even notice it.

I have been there.  I was raised in a LA suburb where white was really "other."  Many years ago somebody put a sign on the freeway near our home that read 'Last American out, take the flag."  So as a white guy, I understand.  However I really don't notice race that much.  Race does not bother me as long as people don't make an issue out of it.  I really can care less one what color the top layers of a person skin are.   California is not the rest of the country.  Even though the numbers of whites is decreasing nationally, California, especially the LA area is an outlier to most of the country.

Edited by carbon dioxide