Praise To The Man!

5 hours ago, Teancum said:

Personally I think all religions are cults. 

Exactly why your opinion of the Church and how it compares doesn't really carry much weight.

Atheist opinions on God are speaking from ignorance.  Unless they actually have experienced God's influence.

Edited by JLHPROF
18 hours ago, Teancum said:

Personally I think all religions are cults. The real question is where does any particular religious set land on the bell curve of dangerous and damaging cults.  And where does the LDS Church land?

So you mean "cult" in the pejorative sense and not in the anthropological sense?

On 12/23/2020 at 8:25 PM, JLHPROF said:

A Happy 215th Birthday to our beloved Prophet Joseph.

I give thanks for the gospel, laws, ordinances, and priesthood keys restored to earth through him.  I am thankful to have the Book of Mormon and the revelations from heaven that fell from his lips.

I thank my Heavenly Father for sending the Prophet Joseph to restore his truth to earth and I'm grateful for the testimony of his mission I gained at 14.

Praise to the man until millions shall know him again!

rMCM1roWahgK9i0H4xVcmkm3DPETCK5EYnupol6K

The chorus for the song is

Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
Death cannot conquer the hero again.

What scripture indicates that he has ascended to heaven and which Gods is the
song referring to?

6 minutes ago, theplains said:

song referring to?

Gods - at the very least Heavenly Father and our Savior.  Probably others who have entered into their exaltation as well.

As for scriptures about him ascending to heaven - D&C 138 in his vision of the "vast congregation of the righteous" Joseph F. Smith saw many of those from the restoration with the prophets of old.

D&C 138:53 The Prophet Joseph Smith, and my father, Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and other choice spirits who were reserved to come forth in the fulness of times to take part in laying the foundations of the great latter-day work,
54 Including the building of the temples and the performance of ordinances therein for the redemption of the dead, were also in the spirit world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 12/28/2020 at 10:56 AM, JAHS said:

Praise to the Man is the kind of hymn we would sing back when we had Sunday School with an opening exercise. Sometimes we would sing it during priesthood opening exercise.
I know my ward doesn't it in Sacrament meeting but there may be some wards that do that.

This is the first I’ve heard of ANY ward that refuses to sing it in sacrament meeting. I don’t get why a ward would so refuse. 

Added: I’ve observed it being sung in general conference many times. If it’s good enough (or appropriate) for general conference, it’s proper for sacrament meeting. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 12/28/2020 at 6:08 AM, mac7 said:

My brother I used the Hym "He could of called ten thousand Angels" not because I sought to have it included in the LDS hymnal, but of its contents concerning our Great God and Saviour Jesus of Nazerath, of His sufferings and death apon the cross to atone for mankinds sins.

What our God did for us there, no Angel, no power from on high, no prophet , nor any thing in the universe, both seen or unseen could of done for us what our Lord Jesus done for us apon said Cross....

If you truly had a testimony of our Saviour, you like me would of wept reading the words of that song that speaks of our Saviours suffering and bowed the knee and confessed along with me that Jesus is Lord and that all praise, honor and glory should be to Him and him alone.

Joseph being a True Prophet of the Lord would of bowed the knee gladly with me and acknowlegded that all glory, honour power and praise belonged to Christ Jesus.

For a Prophets most sacred juty, yes his great joy is to bear Witness that Jesus is the Lord, the God and Saviour of all mankind and that we must worship him with all our might, mind and strength and give Him the glory and praise...

For we mortals are but frail sinners, saved by the undeserved mercy of that Holy God, and are but by said grace but tools in the Saviours hands, if we should boast or show forth praise then let it be to the One that hung apon the cross for us....

For the second time (or the fourth or fifth, if you count Kenngo’s reminders to you), “would of” and “could of” are not proper English. It’s “would HAVE” and “could HAVE,” or, if you must use a contraction, “would’ve” or “could’ve.” 

• Upvote 1
On 12/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, theplains said:

song referring to?

It’s a frigging song dude. It ain’t scripture.

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, Mark Beesley said:

I agree with you that "it's a friggin' song" and "it ain't scripture." ;) But I don't think there is anything in it that doesn't accord with the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.   As demonstrated on this thread, others' mileage varies, but I don't think it's scripturally or doctrinally unsound. 

As I mentioned earlier, I think we need to remember the historical background of the hymn.  If I were Brother Joseph, I would have told W. W. Phelps to take a long walk off of a short pier, and, preferably, to do so while wearing heavy boots.  And I would not have lost one nanosecond of sleep over having done so.  Brother Joseph, however, is more magnanimous than I, and he did not do that, a fact for which W. W. Phelps was, and will be, eternally grateful (hence, the hymn).  And I think it's worth retaining in our hymnody for that reason alone.

Edited by Kenngo1969
Fixed a Pangling Darticiple; Don't Pangle Your Darticiples
  • Upvote 1
On 12/29/2020 at 3:48 PM, theplains said:

song referring to?

I can think of three Gods right off the top of my head. What is hard about that question?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I can think of three Gods right off the top of my head. What is hard about that question?

Word/Semantics Police officer says:  three persons who are God.  

On 12/29/2020 at 5:01 PM, JLHPROF said:

As for scriptures about him ascending to heaven - D&C 138 in his vision of the "vast congregation of the righteous" Joseph F. Smith saw many of those from the restoration with the prophets of old.

D&C 138:53 The Prophet Joseph Smith, and my father, Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and other choice spirits who were reserved to come forth in the fulness of times to take part in laying the foundations of the great latter-day work,
54 Including the building of the temples and the performance of ordinances therein for the redemption of the dead, were also in the spirit world.

According to the Introductory notes of Doctrine and Covenants 138 - "President Smith sees the righteous
dead assembled in paradise and Christ’s ministry among them
" and "The righteous dead of this day continue
their labors in the world of spirits
."

This doesn't say anything about ascending to heaven to mingle with the Gods as the song says.

2 minutes ago, theplains said:

According to the Introductory notes of Doctrine and Covenants 138 - "President Smith sees the righteous
."

This doesn't say anything about ascending to heaven to mingle with the Gods as the song says.

Okay fine, you got us. He is actually burning in hell for all eternity for trying to write in the missing bits of the Book of Abraham facsimilies incorrectly. Still, the song is acoustically pleasing so we are going to hold on to it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, theplains said:

."

How exactly aren't they the same thing?

3 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

How exactly aren't they the same thing?

You made a reference to D&C 138 so how is that showing Joseph Smith ascended to heaven?

If you have another scripture reference, let me know.

7 minutes ago, theplains said:

You made a reference to D&C 138 so how is that showing Joseph Smith ascended to heaven?

One is sufficient.  He's where Christ and other exalted prophets dwell.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, theplains said:

I understand if you don't believe he has ascended to heaven, yet.  I believe when we die, if we are righteous, we go to paradise until we are eventually resurrected.  So unless Joseph has been resurrected then he is only, at best, in paradise.

21 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

For the second time (or the fourth or fifth, if you count Kenngo’s reminders to you), “would of” and “could of” are not proper English. It’s “would HAVE” and “could HAVE,” or, if you must use a contraction, “would’ve” or “could’ve.” 

Alright.  Your on you're high horse again.  Such poor judgement.  How many posts' like that must we endure. 

Edited by Bob Crockett
  • Haha 1
On 12/31/2020 at 11:30 AM, Mark Beesley said:

Please don't underestimate our songs.   Come Follow Me says on page xxiii - Sacred music invites the Spirit and teaches
doctrine in a memorable way

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

Alright.  Your on you're high horse again.  Such poor judgement.  How many posts' like that must we endure. 

You’re free to ignore any and all of my posts. Ergo, the answer to your question is you needn’t “endure” any of them. 

7 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

You’re free to ignore any and all of my posts. Ergo, the answer to your question is you needn’t “endure” any of them. 

Can't even see the joke.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

Can't even see the joke.  

I see it now. Transposing of “your” and “you’re”. And an apostrophe on “posts’”?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I see it now. Transposing of “your” and “you’re”. And an apostrophe on “posts’”?

I'm sorry my jokes are so dry.  I do respect your posts greatly. 

• Like 1

Oop's

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 1