Praise To The Man!

8 minutes ago, Teancum said:

I don't really have a problem with the hymn.  Always liked it and never viewed it as worship.  On the other hand the problem with your argument is we don't have any hymns that I am aware of that sing praises to Abraham, Moses, Peter, Brigham Young, etc.

They aren't the head of our dispensation.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Teancum said:

I don't really have a problem with the hymn.  Always liked it and never viewed it as worship.  On the other hand the problem with your argument is we don't have any hymns that I am aware of that sing praises to Abraham, Moses, Peter, Brigham Young, etc.

Praise to the Man is in a special category of LDS hymns such as Come, Come Ye Saints and Oh My Father. Can you imagine the impact this hymn had when it was first sung by those who knew the prophet Joseph Smith personally? The great fervency with which the hymn must have surely been sung by the early Saints started the hymn on a powerful trajectory of emotion and sentimentality that has carried through to this very day; and I can actually feel the reverberating echos of that original emotional power when it’s sung today. Also, remember William W Phelps was a close associate and dear friend of Joseph Smith, and this puts the hymn in an unusual category.  Singing it today helps to keep the dynamic spirit of the early days of the restoration alive, and that’s a good thing.

Edited by teddyaware
On 1/5/2021 at 9:25 PM, JLHPROF said:

He was a far greater man than even many members are ready to acknowledge.  Just reading the descriptions of him and his calling by Brigham and John Taylor give a far better indication of his position in eternity.

D$-&C 135 is not a revelation. It was a tribute to Joseph Smith and nothing more. That John Taylor heaped accolades on him and about him is no surprise. Such hyperbole has nothing to give any indication of Josephs position in eternity what so ever.

Just now, Teancum said:

So?

You said "the problem with your argument is we don't have any hymns that I am aware of that sing praises to Abraham, Moses, Peter, Brigham Young,"

The Children of Israel praised Moses.  Adam's children praised him.
Praising our dispensation head is natural.  I don't see that we would need a hymn to other prophets just to be equal.  Because they aren't equal with Joseph in our lives.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We heard a beautiful vocal rendition of “Joseph Smith’s First Prayer” last Sunday in sacrament meeting. 

Our ward organist, who accompanied the soloist, did a brilliant original  piano arrangement with a mashup involving strains from “Praise to the Man.” Very appropriate.