Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

On 12/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, rodheadlee said:

Pogi did you get the vaccine yet?

On 12/28/2020 at 10:21 AM, pogi said:

I haven't.  I actually just received an email today stating that it is available for all employees who work in the infectious disease bureau (which I am), but I am not personally working with Covid patients directly (only on the phone), so I am going to pass and let other's who are at greater risk in the infectious disease bureau who are doing Covid tests etc. take the vaccine first.  I will probably wait to get it with the rest of the general public to let high risk populations get it first.  I am also hesitant to receive the Pfizer vaccine as I have a history of anaphylaxis.  I will probably wait for the Moderna vaccine as it seems to be safer for allergic reactions and is more effective to boot. 

I just spoke with my supervisor.  She asked if I was scheduled to be vaccinated yet.  I explained that I was going to hold off because I am working the phones.  It sounds like I won't be on the phones for much longer but will be transitioned to assist with vaccination efforts here shortly as things start rolling out.  They are encouraging all RN's giving vaccines to be vaccinated as we will be having direct contact with the public all day everyday.  I am now scheduled to be vaccinated tomorrow at 3:30.  It turns out Moderna vaccine will be available - score!  I'll let you all know how it goes. 

This will be the first instalment of my new microchip tracking device...I can't wait :lol:

Edited by pogi
  • Upvote 3
38 minutes ago, pogi said:

I just spoke with my supervisor.  She asked if I was scheduled to be vaccinated yet.  I explained that I was going to hold off because I am working the phones.  It sounds like I won't be on the phones for much longer but will be transitioned to assist with vaccination efforts here shortly as things start rolling out.  They are encouraging all RN's giving vaccines to be vaccinated as we will be having direct contact with the public all day everyday.  I am now scheduled to be vaccinated tomorrow at 3:30.  It turns out Moderna vaccine will be available - score!  I'll let you all know how it goes. 

This will be the first instalment of my new microchip tracking device...I can't wait :lol:

Hey Pogi,

Are you aware of any effects (negative or positive) of someone getting the vaccination while already positive for covid,  or at least having had repeated exposure to the virus? 

My daughter-in-law is a nurse and received her first vaccination on Monday.  My son (her husband) started feeling sick the same day and ended up testing positive for covid.  Their infant daughter started running a fever yesterday as well.  My DIL is the only one taking care of her as my son is in isolation. 

I read that the vaccine isn't fully effective until 10-14 days after the shot.  Any insight or thoughts? 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, cacheman said:

Hey Pogi,

Are you aware of any effects (negative or positive) of someone getting the vaccination while already positive for covid,  or at least having had repeated exposure to the virus? 

My daughter-in-law is a nurse and received her first vaccination on Monday.  My son (her husband) started feeling sick the same day and ended up testing positive for covid.  Their infant daughter started running a fever yesterday as well.  My DIL is the only one taking care of her as my son is in isolation. 

I read that the vaccine isn't fully effective until 10-14 days after the shot.  Any insight or thoughts? 

I read this article last night. https://abc7.com/coronavirus-vaccines-san-diego-nurse-gets-covid-vaccine-efficacy/9188487/

"It's a sad coincidence that if somebody has already been exposed and gotten vaccinated, the vaccine doesn't work within days. I mean it does work within days but certainly not in less than a week," says Dr. Yvonne Maldonado of Stanford.

Doctors tell ABC7 News that the first vaccine shot gives 50 percent immunity, which doesn't kick in for a week with the Pfizer vaccine and two weeks with the Moderna vaccine. The second dose then brings immunity to at least 90 percent.”

Edited by bsjkki
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, cacheman said:

Hey Pogi,

There shouldn't be any negative effects.  Without a second dose, there is a good chance that your DIL will become infected if her daughter ends up having covid unfortunately.  Who knows, the first dose may help temper symptoms though.  That is an interesting scenario.  I hope your family does ok through Covid.  I don't know what they will recommend for the second dose if someone gets infected between doses.  I know that they are recommending that people wait to be vaccinated for 3 months after being infected (because they will have natural immunity for at least 3 months), so they may have her wait those 3 months for the second dose.  That is unfortunate timing to go without being exposed until the day you get vaccinated!     

Edited by pogi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just what we wanted 😞

https://www.ksl.com/article/50075153/california-has-nations-2nd-confirmed-case-of-coronavirus-variant

It is now in Colorado and California, for sure, and likely elsewhere.  The first case had no travel history which means there is already community spread and it is probably fairly wide spread.  It was only a matter of time, I suppose. 

Researchers estimate the variant is 50% to 70% more contagious, said Dr. Eric France, Colorado's chief medical officer.

More sad news:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50075111/louisiana-congressman-elect-luke-letlow-dies-from-covid-19-at-age-41

He was my same age.  He was even treated with Remdesivir and steroids.   

• Upvote 1

My husband had a question yesterday so I asked my sister.  I thought some of you might like to know the answer. 

"If they are storing the vaccine at really cold temperatures do they warm it up just before giving it? How?"

Answer:

"So vaccines and a lot of meds given by syringe actually come as a powder. That’s how it’s stored until ready to use. The Pfizer has to be kept colder than the Antarctica haha like -94 F... no joke. Moderna only needs regular freezing. It’s then mixed with room temp saline. Because it’s a powder and not like a solid liquid, it mixes quite easily. It’s then good for about 6 hours in vials."

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, provoman said:
8 hours ago, Calm said:

Hopefully people will learn of this and not assume they don’t have to be as cautious as soon as they get the first dose.

It is unclear to me if this was after the first dose or second.  It would not be very surprising if it happened a week after the first dose, it would be more surprising if it happened a week after the second dose, but also not entirely unexpected.  This is actually typical of pretty much all vaccines.  10-14 days is the average time it takes to build up immunity after vaccination.  That is why we always schedule our patients at least 2 weeks in advance of their travel dates (and even earlier if they need a 2 dose series).   Many countries will not even let you in if your Yellow Fever certificate is not dated 10 days before arrival.  They can either turn you away or make you quarantine in the airport until you reach the 10 day point.   

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, pogi said:

It is unclear to me if this was after the first dose or second.  It would not be very surprising if it happened a week after the first dose, it would be more surprising if it happened a week after the second dose, but also not entirely unexpected.  This is actually typical of pretty much all vaccines.  10-14 days is the average time it takes to build up immunity after vaccination.  That is why we always schedule our patients at least 2 weeks in advance of their travel dates (and even earlier if they need a 2 dose series).   Many countries will not even let you in if your Yellow Fever certificate is not dated 10 days before arrival.  They can either turn you away or make you quarantine in the airport until you reach the 10 day point.   

I took it that was soon after the first dose. 

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, pogi said:

Just got my first dose of Moderna Covid vaccine and feeling on top of the world! Happy new year!

Has Steve Jobs tried the mind control mode on you yet? Curious if they have worked out all the bugs in that software yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drew Pinsky, who in the past had downplayed Covid and apologized for that, relays his own experiences, including with the monoclonal antibodies treatment which was quite interesting and I am guessing good info to know.  Also gives intelligent advice about the risk of infection (“you never know when you are going to walk into an outbreak”, everyone is sitting on a powder keg) and actively seeking medical health as it can turn bad quickly.  

I had read that the monoclonal stuff has been sitting around because doctors are reluctant to prescribe something that hasn’t been thoroughly tested yet. He had a very positive response so far. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Has Steve Jobs tried the mind control mode on you yet? Curious if they have worked out all the bugs in that software yet.

The mind control was to get the vaccine injection, now that the injection was received, the nanobots will begin rewritting DNA to create super powers.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, provoman said:

The mind control was to get the vaccine injection, now that the injection was received, the nanobots will begin rewritting DNA to create super powers.

So are they random? I am worried I will end up being Aquaman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My nurse friend (BYU grad) spent her New Year's putting her Covid patient into a Rotoprone bed:

IMG_20210101_144409.jpg

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

My nurse friend (BYU grad) spent her New Year's putting her Covid patient into a Rotoprone bed:

IMG_20210101_144409.jpg

Oh wow, that visual really makes it real:(

7 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

Oh wow, that visual really makes it real:(

My childhood friend's father was on a ventilator for six weeks and has been off of it for 3.5 weeks, but has not yet woken up. She says that Covid patients are taking longer than normal to wake after artificial comas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Day 2 after vaccine and only a sore arm.   Definitely much more sore than the flu shot though.  No other side effects to speak of.  👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2