Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

Posted (edited)

From EDH

Could the supplement melatonin help treat COVID-19? The over-the-counter dietary supplement melatonin may help prevent or treat COVID-19. According to findings published last month in the journal PLOS Biology, the hormone, which is often used by insomnia sufferers, was associated with a nearly 30 percent reduced likelihood of getting the virus.

Be aware if you are thinking of taking melatonin, the dosages in supplements can be way high beyond what is needed.  Always check the label. Start at 1 mg and slowly work up until you find a leve that works for you, though if you get to 5 mg, you might want to check with your doctor.  The more you take, the more likely side effects will cause problems. 

If you supplement with melatonin, your body may end up producing less...just what you don’t want to happen, so generally best to be short term use. 

this seems a decent overview:

https://www.singlecare.com/blog/melatonin-dosage/

Also in the past there was concern that it might lower immune defenses if taken after midnight. I had a friend in remission from cancer who was not allowed to take it as it was a hormone and might trigger the wrong thing. This stuff isn’t harmless. Educate yourselves on any supplement as well as drug you take. Interactions, contraindications for certain disorders, etc.:.check stuff out first or you may regret it (speaking from way too much experience when I get lazy). 

Edited by Calm

Had what felt like a low fever this morning and have been dry coughing all day. Not too concerned yet. I get dry coughs from allergies so it may be that but allergy medication is not working like it usually does so who knows? Also not sure about the fever. Gave my thermometer away to a friend a couple weeks back and it is hard to diagnose yourself what with the temperature difference being less when the hand checking for fever is part of the same body. So if I vanish forever it has been a fun ride. Sorry about that virus I used to take down the board that one time. In my defense I was really bored.

• Upvote 2
47 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Had what felt like a low fever this morning and have been dry coughing all day. Not too concerned yet. I get dry coughs from allergies so it may be that but allergy medication is not working like it usually does so who knows? Also not sure about the fever. Gave my thermometer away to a friend a couple weeks back and it is hard to diagnose yourself what with the temperature difference being less when the hand checking for fever is part of the same body. So if I vanish forever it has been a fun ride. Sorry about that virus I used to take down the board that one time. In my defense I was really bored.

Might want to order one of these if you don’t have one already.  And get your thermometer back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08925BSQJ?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn6r3jLT-7QIVUdbACh14TAMkEAAYASAAEgKT8vD_BwE

Take care of yourself and don’t you dare vanish, even to prank us.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Already ordered one. I should get it tomorrow.

How are you feeling?

14 hours ago, Calm said:

How are you feeling?

Better. Fever is gone or it was just feeling hot. Still dry coughing. Guessing allergies. I have just never had them knock me out this much before or had medication not work. I did a deep clean of house to hopefully clear out allergens despite feeling terrible. Sugar gliders are not happy since they have to remark all their territory again. Still feel garbagey but I got some physical activity in specifically to see if it caused worse body aches than usual and nothing. Probably false alarm. Not excited to have to go out tomorrow (need food and medication) if I am still coughing like this. I can probably put it off for a few more days.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Better. Fever is gone or it was just feeling hot. Still dry coughing. Guessing allergies. I have just never had them knock me out this much before or had medication not work. I did a deep clean of house to hopefully clear out allergens despite feeling terrible. Sugar gliders are not happy since they have to remark all their territory again. Still feel garbagey but I got some physical activity in specifically to see if it caused worse body aches than usual and nothing. Probably false alarm. Not excited to have to go out tomorrow (need food and medication) if I am still coughing like this. I can probably put it off for a few more days.

Did you get tested? 

11 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Did you get tested? 

No, now that I am pretty certain that it wasn’t it actually Covid I don’t want to bother with it.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

No, now that I am pretty certain that it wasn’t it actually Covid I don’t want to bother with it.

I’m glad you’re feeling better! 🙂

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

That's not an option here. Any cold or flu symptoms require a Covid test. I had my second (negative) one last week.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

That's not an option here. Any cold or flu symptoms require a Covid test. I had my second (negative) one last week.

Yeah. I know a business where an employee thought it was just allergies and infected more than half his co-workers. 

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Yeah. I know a business where an employee thought it was just allergies and infected more than half his co-workers. 

Ouch! :huh: 

7 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Didn't I read somewhere that a cold is supposed to moderate COVID-19 symptoms, somehow, or am I confused, as usual? :huh: :unknw: 

36 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

His boss got it and then ended up infecting his wife and four kids. That’s a bad day at work. At least no one got seriously ill. My husband had an employee come to work and say ‘it’s allergies’ and they sent home straight home. No symptoms allowed at work...none.

There are studies showing some cross immunity with T cells and cold viruses but it’s above my pay grade to understand it all. They think this may be why kids are protected.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

No symptoms allowed at work...none.

Nor anywhere indoors for us. Our bishopric read out a statement at the beginning of every sacrament meeting asking anyone with any symptoms to go home. (I stayed home this week, and the meeting was broadcast to me. It's such a good option!) Shops also have signs reminding people that it's against the public health order to enter if one has symptoms and hasn't had a recent negative test. Test results are texted to us so that we can show them if necessary. I couldn't even walk inside my GP's clinic yesterday without verifying that I'd been tested first.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I am currently unemployed and my only meager income is from contract work I do from home. I am going to my brother's house to help with distance learning this week just in case. Only contact I had today was at doctor's office where they wanted a drug screen before giving me my prescription (which I have to get a physical copy of anyways as it is too controlled to be done digitally in this state).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

His boss got it and then ended up infecting his wife and four kids. That’s a bad day at work. At least no one got seriously ill. My husband had an employee come to work and say ‘it’s allergies’ and they sent home straight home. No symptoms allowed at work...none.

Good policy. It is what my job had and then transitioned all but about a dozen people to working from home and they were well aware that an outbreak in the remaining dozen could mean the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue if they could not keep those people working for a few weeks.

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I am currently unemployed and my only meager income is from contract work I do from home. I am going to my brother's house to help with distance learning this week just in case. Only contact I had today was at doctor's office where they wanted a drug screen before giving me my prescription (which I have to get a physical copy of anyways as it is too controlled to be done digitally in this state).

Godspeed!

After I was up almost all night trying to collate data on yesterday I got woken up early this morning to find that my bishop is in the ER so we are scrambling to deal with that. Not sure if it is Covid yet but it seems likely.

Last night I found this on an unrelated search where a Norwegian biostatistician and knitting blogger uses crocheting to show how the R value influences spread.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

After I was up almost all night trying to collate data on yesterday I got woken up early this morning to find that my bishop is in the ER so we are scrambling to deal with that. Not sure if it is Covid yet but it seems likely.

Last night I found this on an unrelated search where a Norwegian biostatistician knitting blogger uses crocheting to show how the R value influences spread.

This is brilliant.  Her other video, the Corona poncho...she crocheted a perfect circle for a pie chart.  Killer crochet skills.

Edited by Calm
5 minutes ago, Calm said:

This is brilliant.

a brilliant presentation of how r values work out, yes, but considering the fact that the r value is presently between 2 and 3 and we are and will always be at least for a very long time very fallible people who do a lot of stupid things, collectively speaking...

today is as good a time as any to prepare ourselves for the moment when we will die while maybe thinking about getting serious about trying to postpone that moment when we will die.

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Last night I found this on an unrelated search where a Norwegian biostatistician and knitting blogger uses crocheting to show how the R value influences spread.

As a crocheter I find that cool!

• Upvote 1

I tire of, and am saddened by, new milestones - today we topped 4,000 deaths in a single day in the US as we inch closer to 400,000 total deaths...then half a million...

Will this change anyone’s behavior?  Will reality ever sink in?  Will personal moral responsibility ever be realized? Or, is this just another faceless stat that we are numb to as we drink our morning coffee (or Postum) then go maskless around our loved ones that evening?

On a positive note, I am proud to have helped administer over 1,000 vaccines today to our hard working and well-deserving first responders.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Posted (edited)

From EDH;

Los Angeles EMTs have been told not to transport patients with a low chance of survival. CNN reported on Tuesday that the Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency issued a memo advising first responders that if a patient is suffering from cardiac arrest, they should not bring them to the hospital unless their pulse can be restored at the scene, because no hospital beds are available.

Overcrowded Los Angeles hospitals are putting patients in gift shops. The Los Angeles Times reported that several hospitals in Los Angeles County are running at beyond 100 percent capacity. With no room available, Los Angeles County–USC Medical Center had to shut its doors to all ambulance traffic for 12 hours last week. Area hospitals are so inundated that they’ve resorted to placing patients in conference rooms and gift shops, according to the LA Times.

“Hospitals in Los Angeles are rationing oxygen as supplies run low. The LA County Emergency Medical Services Agency issued a directive Monday telling ambulance crews to conserve oxygen by administering it only to patients who have oxygen saturation levels below 90 percent.

An investigation by the Los Angeles Times revealed that some Los Angeles hospitals are struggling with shortages of oxygen to treat COVID-19 patients. COVID-19 patients typically require 10 times as much oxygen as non-COVID patients”

Edited by Calm
  • Upvote 1