Mother's day gifts at church

Young Women, Young Men and Elders/HP Quorum's take over primary so that all sisters can enjoy RS together.

Chocolate works better than flowers because you can tuck it into your purse, flowers wilt, fall off  (wouldn't if made into corsages, but that never happens).

well...in the days..don't give my mom and I a plant...we look at flowers..and they die.  Good intentions too..planted...sun..water..and. they. die. My vote is a little diary to write down thoughts about themselves..!

My mother always told me that, if we were going to give flowers, make sure they were cut flowers because a potted plant is just one more thing for a mom to take care of. :)

In our ward, we typically go with king size candy bars. Haven't had any complaints. :) 

I'm a member of an LDS mommies group on Facebook and this was being discussed.  The one thing i learned is that you really will not be able to please everyone.  :D 

There were sisters who said it was stupid to give flowers and others who said cut flowers were their favorite. There were sisters who said that people should only give potted plants, like tomatoes or corn (:blink:) while others said that was dumb because not everyone has a place where they can plant stuff (or it was dumb because it's not nice to give mothers something else they have to worry about keeping alive).  There were even a few that said that they didn't like it when they gave out chocolates because everyone ate too much junk food and the church needed to focus on healthy treats.

So good luck!  :lol: 

This year for the last 30 min of church the young men and women and Elders Quorum will go take over classes for the sisters and all the sisters will meet in the culture hall to have cheese cake and be able to socialize together.  We will see how it goes.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:30 AM, bsjkki said:

What has been your favorite Mother's Day gift at church or any other ideas you have seen at church to honor Mother's. Thanks! 

One ward we were in gave chocolate bars to every woman in the ward along with this note:

Chocolate is a Vegetable

Chocolate is derived from cacao beans. Bean = vegetable. Sugar is derived from either sugar CANE or sugar BEETS. Both are plants, which places them in the vegetable category. Thus, chocolate is a vegetable. 

To go one step further, chocolate candy bars also contain milk, which is dairy. So candy bars are a health food. 

Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want. 

If you've got melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly. 

The problem: How to get 2 pounds of chocolate home from the store in a hot car. The solution: Eat it in the parking lot. 

Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite, and you'll eat less. 

If calories are an issue, store your chocolate on top of the fridge. Calories are afraid of heights, and they will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves. (We're testing this with other snack foods as well.)

If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet? Don't they actually counteract each other? 

Chocolate has many preservatives. Preservatives make you look younger. Therefore, you need to eat more chocolate. 

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done. 

A nice box of chocolates can provide your total daily intake of calories in one place. Now, isn't that handy? 

If you can't eat all your chocolate, it will keep in the freezer. But if you can't eat all your chocolate, what's wrong with you? 

If not for chocolate, there would be no need for control top pantyhose. An entire garment industry would be devastated. You can't let that happen, can you?

There should be an alternative for those who can't handle chocolate...I have to give mine away or I am writhing most of the night, sigh...and I love dark, dark chocolate.  Love caramel more though, so few Werther's to drown my sorrow in always works.  :P

On 5/8/2018 at 6:48 PM, Calm said:

There should be an alternative for those who can't handle chocolate...I have to give mine away or I am writhing most of the night, sigh...and I love dark, dark chocolate.  Love caramel more though, so few Werther's to drown my sorrow in always works.  :P

That is a good idea...too late to change from all chocolate but something to keep in mind for next year. My organization is in charge and I asked them  to have a chocolate and non chocolate mix but it didn't happen. Oh well.  I also think it would be nice to have a 15 minute social time at the end of 3rd hour but logistics are always tricky. 

Edited by bsjkki

Many years ago when I was a kid I remember my ward giving all the mothers something, but they also gave special gifts to the youngest mother, the oldest mother, the mother with the most kids, the mother with the most grandkids, etc.
I guess someone complained about it though because they quit doing it a long time ago.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, bluebell said:

I'm a member of an LDS mommies group on Facebook and this was being discussed.  The one thing i learned is that you really will not be able to please everyone.  :D 

There were sisters who said it was stupid to give flowers and others who said cut flowers were their favorite. There were sisters who said that people should only give potted plants, like tomatoes or corn (:blink:) while others said that was dumb because not everyone has a place where they can plant stuff (or it was dumb because it's not nice to give mothers something else they have to worry about keeping alive).  There were even a few that said that they didn't like it when they gave out chocolates because everyone ate too much junk food and the church needed to focus on healthy treats.

So good luck!  :lol: 

And this is one of the reasons why I wish they would stop doing Mother's Day gifts at church. 

I can't remember there ever being a time when a group gift from church (Mother's Day, Christmas, birthdays) was actually something I wanted and like you said there is nothing that everyone will want so I wish the tithing money were spent elsewhere. 

Here is what I would love: take all that money, have all the kids and men give service at Feed My Starving Children and then donate all the money there for the moms who struggle to feed their children. I know that would go over like a lead balloon with many women though.

Edited by Rain
13 minutes ago, Rain said:

And this is one of the reasons why I wish they would stop doing Mother's Day gifts at church. 

I can't remember there ever being a time when a group gift from church (Mother's Day, Christmas, birthdays) was actually something I wanted and like you said there is nothing that everyone will want so I wish the tithing money were spent elsewhere. 

Here is what I would love: take all that money, have all the kids and men give service at Feed My Starving Children and then donate all the money there for the moms who struggle to feed their children. I know that would go over lie a lead balloon with many women though.

I was thinking about this today, not the part of donating to a great cause such as Feed My Starving Children, good one Rain, but that a lot of moms hate going to church on Mother's Day, and I'll bet there are a lot of no shows. And a lot of leftover gifts, so like you said, a lot of waste of tithing. I think your idea is outstanding on the donating to a great cause! :)

In my ward today, the kids came in to RS and handed out Hershey bars. They took a piece of paper and wrote "Happy Mother's day" on it and colored it a bit, and then wrapped it around the bar.

Happy Mother's day to all the mothers of the Church!!!!!

If a ward has a tradition of doing something for Mother's Day, I don't think they should stop without giving the people a heads up and a reason for the change.  We got chocolates as we walked out the door of the chapel, but otherwise nothing special was said or done (the talks were on the Aaronic priesthood and YW's duties in the ward (separate talks), which I didn't have a problem with.  

On 5/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, JAHS said:

Many years ago when I was a kid I remember my ward giving all the mothers something, but they also gave special gifts to the youngest mother, the oldest mother, the mother with the most kids, the mother with the most grandkids, etc.
I guess someone complained about it though because they quit doing it a long time ago.

My parents told me they used to do that when they were teenagers in California but it got awkward when the youngest mother was 16 or the youngest grandmother was 35 so they stopped.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:48 PM, The Nehor said:

Uh-oh.

I forgot who we decided was organizing gifts this year and hoping and praying it was not me.....

Bishop’s wife had it covered. It was nice. The talks were very good. All but one youth speaker was a sister so there was more useful counsel and less “my mom is awesome” like you get when brethren speak. I remember my Mother’s Day talk. Still think that stunt should have ended up in the Ensign but my friend who worked on the Ensign disagreed. Philistines.......

52 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Bishop’s wife had it covered. It was nice. The talks were very good. All but one youth speaker was a sister so there was more useful counsel and less “my mom is awesome” like you get when brethren speak. I remember my Mother’s Day talk. Still think that stunt should have ended up in the Ensign but my friend who worked on the Ensign disagreed. Philistines.......

I was just thinking of you when I clicked on this thread, was going to ask you how it went. Glad the bishop's wife had your back! And you peaked my interest on what your talk was and how it should have been in the Ensign! 

21 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I was just thinking of you when I clicked on this thread, was going to ask you how it went. Glad the bishop's wife had your back! And you peaked my interest on what your talk was and how it should have been in the Ensign! 

It was years ago and I think it was the first time anyone ever used a texting conversation going on while at the pulpit as part of the talk.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

It was years ago and I think it was the first time anyone ever used a texting conversation going on while at the pulpit as part of the talk.

That happened in one of my wards when cell phones first became a thing. The gal giving the talk's mom called and she spoke with her on the phone during her talk. In my mind I want to say her talk may have been about prayer, but I'm not sure. I guess that would be a good object lesson. I think it was soon after when we were told not to bring object lessons to Sacrament meetings.🙄