Rain Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 (edited) When on my mission several of my companions talked about me being the obedient one. My daughter fasted and prayed at age 11 and told me she would like her patriarchal blessing. The bishop told me he hoped more of the girls in the ward would follow her example and do personal progress projects like hers. She has wanted to go to BYU for ages and fell in love with BYUI when she stepped on campus. She prayed over college and was was saddened to learn that Heavenly Father wanted her to go to ASU instead. I tell these things not to brag, but to prove a point. My companions often asked why I would go to USU - BYU was better and USU was a party school. On Sunday we went to church at the BYU Jerusalem center. An older gentleman asked where my daughter was going to school and told her that if she wanted to go to school there she would have to go to a BYU school because if they accepted kids from other schools there would be too many problems with parties. If I had been by her I would have told him how wrong he was about kids like her. People come from all over the world to go to BYU so it isn't just a "Utah" idea. Where do people get ideas like this? Edited June 8, 2016 by Rain
bsjkki Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 I'm sad your daughter was told this. The kids who go to other schools and still attend church and maintain their beliefs are more likely to be strong in their faith and obedient to the commandments. There could be other reasons the Jerusalem center only takes BYU students but to be told students who don't go to BYU schools would party more is ridiculous. If he was talking about non-members, he has a point, but I would think all students who attend the Jerusalem center would have to sign the honor code and would have clear conduct expectations explained.
stemelbow Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 15 minutes ago, Rain said: When on my mission several of my companions talked about me being the obedient one. My daughter fasted and prayed at age 11 and told me she would like her patriarchal blessing. The bishop told me he hoped more of the girls in the ward would follow her example and do personal progress projects like hers. She has wanted to go to BYU for ages and feel in love with BYUI knee she stepped on campus. She prayed over college was was saddened to learn that Heavenly Father wanted her to go to ASU instead. I tell these things not to brag, but to prove a point. My companions often asked why I would go to USU. BYU was better want a party school. On Sunday we went to church at the BYU Jerusalem center. An older gentleman asked where my daughter was going to school (ASU) and told her that if she wanted to go to school there she would have to go to a BYU school because if they accepted kids from other schools there would be too many problems with parties. If I had been by her I would have told him how wrong he was about kids like her. People come from all over the world to go to BYU so it isn't just a "Utah" idea. Where do people get ideas like this? Who knows where he got such ideas. It's silly judgmental ignorance it sounds like to me. Who wants that, in this day and age? I didn't go to a BYU school and had a great experience so I'm happy as a clam to recommend non-BYU.
Calm Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 Byy Jerusalem is a BYU campus. Of course they only take kids registered at BYU. 2
Eek! Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 Back in the early 80's I spent some time studying Hebrew at Tel Aviv University. I remember word on the street was that a BYU student showing a school ID card could write a personal check at a store in Jerusalem and it would be accepted because their reputation was that good. Obviously I didn't have a BYU ID card so never put it to the test. My guess is that the Church places a very high priority on making an excellent impression on the Israelis, just in case... one day down the road... the opportunity should arise to build a temple in Israel. That being said, directors and leaders usually have the authority to make intelligent and/or inspired exceptions to published policies.
ttribe Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 <---------- Has Bachelor's degree from ASU and Master's degree from BYU; never impaired academically or professionally as a result of ASU's "party school" reputation. Go Devils! (Class of 1996)
Jeanne Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 56 minutes ago, Rain said: When on my mission several of my companions talked about me being the obedient one. My daughter fasted and prayed at age 11 and told me she would like her patriarchal blessing. The bishop told me he hoped more of the girls in the ward would follow her example and do personal progress projects like hers. She has wanted to go to BYU for ages and feel in love with BYUI knee she stepped on campus. She prayed over college was was saddened to learn that Heavenly Father wanted her to go to ASU instead. I tell these things not to brag, but to prove a point. My companions often asked why I would go to USU. BYU was better want a party school. On Sunday we went to church at the BYU Jerusalem center. An older gentleman asked where my daughter was going to school (ASU) and told her that if she wanted to go to school there she would have to go to a BYU school because if they accepted kids from other schools there would be too many problems with parties. If I had been by her I would have told him how wrong he was about kids like her. People come from all over the world to go to BYU so it isn't just a "Utah" idea. Where do people get ideas like this? First of all..what a wonderful Mom you are!! You love, support and TRUST speaks volumes about the genuine relationship between you two. I commend anyone who gets to go to any college and wish that I could have a do over myself. All she needs is her family..good professors and the good head she has on her shoulders..doesn't matter what school.
Scott Lloyd Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 It's harder than ever to get into BYU these days, so faithful Mormon families need to be open to other options. I would say enrollment in LDS Institute is essential, wherever one goes..
Robert F. Smith Posted June 7, 2016 Posted June 7, 2016 1 hour ago, Rain said: When on my mission several of my companions talked about me being the obedient one. My daughter fasted and prayed at age 11 and told me she would like her patriarchal blessing. The bishop told me he hoped more of the girls in the ward would follow her example and do personal progress projects like hers. She has wanted to go to BYU for ages and feel in love with BYUI knee she stepped on campus. She prayed over college was was saddened to learn that Heavenly Father wanted her to go to ASU instead. I tell these things not to brag, but to prove a point. My companions often asked why I would go to USU. BYU was better want a party school. On Sunday we went to church at the BYU Jerusalem center. An older gentleman asked where my daughter was going to school (ASU) and told her that if she wanted to go to school there she would have to go to a BYU school because if they accepted kids from other schools there would be too many problems with parties. If I had been by her I would have told him how wrong he was about kids like her. People come from all over the world to go to BYU so it isn't just a "Utah" idea. Where do people get ideas like this? Thousands of foreign students attend the various universities in Israel, including the Hebrew Univ in Jerusalem (which I attended), and Mormons should not feel obligated to spend a semester at the BYU Jerusalem Center -- except to attend Sabbath services there each week. College students in Jerusalem can fend for themselves, find their own lodging and transportation, and do just fine. ASU is an excellent school, and has a School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies (MENAS) where one can study Hebrew, Judaic Studies, Arabic, etc. One can also participate in an archeological excavation, if desired. The preparation for summer school at the Hebrew Univ is worth considering, as is grad school there after a degree at ASU. 1
VideoGameJunkie Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 My friend Courtney Simpson was a sweet mormon girl who then went to Arizona State to be on the cheerleading team and then she wound up becoming a well known porn star and her Mormon family was crushed.
Jeanne Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 23 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said: My friend Courtney Simpson was a sweet mormon girl who then went to Arizona State to be on the cheerleading team and then she wound up becoming a well known porn star and her Mormon family was crushed. I had to smile at this because you wrote it with such frank wit!! Well see...there is another degree you can get at ASU
Rain Posted June 8, 2016 Author Posted June 8, 2016 2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said: It's harder than ever to get into BYU these days, so faithful Mormon families need to be open to other options. I would say enrollment in LDS Institute is essential, wherever one goes.. Obviously, BYUI is different accademically, but she did apply and get accepted for it. She has no problems with the spiritual aspect of getting accepted to any of the schools. She did not apply to BYU so we won't know what would have happened there, but she did well enough to get automatic scholarships for both ASU and NAU. She actually really dragged her feet on ASU after getting her answer till she visited the institute. Now she is ok with going there. It has just really started to bother her that people, and this was not the first experience, judge her spirituality because she is not going to a BYU campus. It bugged me too when my companions made comments. 1
Scott Lloyd Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 2 minutes ago, Rain said: Obviously, BYUI is different accademically, but she did apply and get accepted for it. She has no problems with the spiritual aspect of getting accepted to any of the schools. She did not apply to BYU so we won't know what would have happened there, but she did well enough to get automatic scholarships for both ASU and NAU. She actually really dragged her feet on ASU after getting her answer till she visited the institute. Now she is ok with going there. It has just really started to bother her that people, and this was not the first experience, judge her spirituality because she is not going to a BYU campus. It bugged me too when my companions made comments. When I said it's more difficult than ever to be accepted at BYU, I was referring to academic performance. There are a lot of bright young people in the Church today, all of them with high moral and spiritual standards. Which is why I have no patience with the "free BYU" apostates.
The Nehor Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 1 hour ago, VideoGameJunkie said: My friend Courtney Simpson was a sweet mormon girl who then went to Arizona State to be on the cheerleading team and then she wound up becoming a well known porn star and her Mormon family was crushed. Let me guess...Liberal Arts degree? Oh right, I have a Liberal Arts degree. Well, it is always nice to have a fallback career option. 1
Rain Posted June 8, 2016 Author Posted June 8, 2016 2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: Thousands of foreign students attend the various universities in Israel, including the Hebrew Univ in Jerusalem (which I attended), and Mormons should not feel obligated to spend a semester at the BYU Jerusalem Center -- except to attend Sabbath services there each week. College students in Jerusalem can fend for themselves, find their own lodging and transportation, and do just fine. ASU is an excellent school, and has a School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies (MENAS) where one can study Hebrew, Judaic Studies, Arabic, etc. One can also participate in an archeological excavation, if desired. The preparation for summer school at the Hebrew Univ is worth considering, as is grad school there after a degree at ASU. My husband had wanted to work on an online masters in engineering for years at ASU, but it was never the right time till we moved here. Funny thing is he could now easily go to class, but is doing it online (fits his schedule better). 1
readstoomuch Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 It is too bad about the girl who became a porn star. That really would break a parent`s heart. It can happen with any kid going to any school. BYU is hard to get into and luckily my son was just admitted, though he is going on a mission first. Interestingly, it is much easier to get a faculty position at BYU if you have most of your schooling or at least your graduate degrees from another school. I had a child get their schooling at a state school and then graduate school at BYU. The other child did their first two years at a local community college and then transferred to BYUI (after his mission) and met his wife there. Both families are not going to church, but my son seems closer to coming back. It will still probably be several years if at all for both of them. Your kids break your heart and you just want the best for them. Going to Ricks and BYU worked for me. They really helped me get on the right track. I was glad I was married when I went to graduate school back east. The reality is that much more frequently than in the past, kids are going to have to find their way through the secular learning that is available to them. Looking back on my older children, they both did the Head Start or college while in high school route. It did seem to expose them to ideas that seemed damaging to them as high school students. Our younger two have not done that program, but have taken many advanced placement classes. We purposely tried to keep them in their high school and they took seminary (as did the older two), mostly early morning. They are doing much in music and sports. They seem more anchored than our older kids. Time, and prayer will tell. 1
california boy Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 5 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said: My friend Courtney Simpson was a sweet Tymormon girl who then went to Arizona State to be on the cheerleading team and then she wound up becoming a well known porn star and her Mormon family was crushed. Ty Mansfield went to BYU and later became a porn star. I don't think going to BYU guarantees you good career choices. 3
thesometimesaint Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 Where ever you go for your university experience be the best student you can be. Some 40 years after my graduation I'm still thankful for the experience and education. Though no one asks anymore for my resume. 1
stemelbow Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 17 hours ago, Calm said: Byy Jerusalem is a BYU campus. Of course they only take kids registered at BYU. My wife went to BYU Jerusalem in the 90s and never went to a BYU school outside of that. I dont' know how she made that happen, but she recounts being an odd case.
boblloyd91 Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 19 hours ago, Rain said: When on my mission several of my companions talked about me being the obedient one. My daughter fasted and prayed at age 11 and told me she would like her patriarchal blessing. The bishop told me he hoped more of the girls in the ward would follow her example and do personal progress projects like hers. She has wanted to go to BYU for ages and fell in love with BYUI when she stepped on campus. She prayed over college and was was saddened to learn that Heavenly Father wanted her to go to ASU instead. I tell these things not to brag, but to prove a point. My companions often asked why I would go to USU - BYU was better and USU was a party school. On Sunday we went to church at the BYU Jerusalem center. An older gentleman asked where my daughter was going to school and told her that if she wanted to go to school there she would have to go to a BYU school because if they accepted kids from other schools there would be too many problems with parties. If I had been by her I would have told him how wrong he was about kids like her. People come from all over the world to go to BYU so it isn't just a "Utah" idea. Where do people get ideas like this? USU is definitely not a party school like other schools are. USU is awesome....Go Aggies!!! 1
phaedrus ut Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 I've attended numerous colleges over the years including BYU, USU, and some in the Ivy League. As a True Aggie I would highly recommend USU to anyone and it was as great as a college experience as I had anywhere. I wasn't a fan of BYU when I went there and when I'm approached by prospective college students I caution them about attending. Phaedrus
rongo Posted June 8, 2016 Posted June 8, 2016 17 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: ASU is an excellent school . . . I attended ASU for two semesters as a post-baccalaureate student in my 30s, and found it to be exponentially easier than BYU (my undergraduate degree). I got straight As for the first time in my life! Maybe part of it was that I was much older than most other students (more mature, etc.), but mostly, I think it was just plain very easy. I even had a professor call me into her office to discuss plagiarism concerns. This stunned me, and I was worried. She showed me a recent paper I had written, using footnotes (I detest parenthetical citation, and only use it when absolutely required), and said that while all of the items flagged by software as being direct quotes had been properly cited in the paper and in the footnotes, it was written much better than what she usually encounters. I explained to her that I have a BA in English teaching, and had, in fact, at that time, taught high school English for five years (I'm now in my 14th year, and am teaching German, but have taught middle school science and high school biology as well). I assured her that I didn't need to plagiarize on her papers. I didn't find ASU to be very rigorous. I graduated from BYU with a 3.4, and had to work hard for that.
Recommended Posts