Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

I Watch Rated R Movies


Recommended Posts

Posted

I also self select. No hard and fast rules. 

Breaking Bad has become my new gold standard for TV as well as movies. 

Posted
13 hours ago, JAHS said:

I know about the talks that mention them; I am talking about the general official guidance from the church to members throughout the world. They want to avoid referring to any ratings systems because people might only think that only R-rated movies are the ones to avoid. And rating systems differ throughout the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_picture_rating_system

I have NO idea what an R-rating equates to in my country.

My husband and I decided early in our marriage that we would not watch anything that we would be uncomfortable watching with our children in the room . We have not wavered in that decision, it has however evolved as our children have grown. The movie mentioned in the OP is a great example of an excellent movie. We too will not watch movies with gratuitous violence or profanity,  and definitely no sexual content or smutty humour. So we still stick to the decision to not watch anything that we would be uncomfortable watching with our kids. The youngest is now 24.

Posted

i think a lot of the "no R rated movies" stuff came out in the 80s.  it still gets talked about from time to time, but yes, it doesn't make a lot of sense to an international church.  not everyone has the american rating system.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mars said:

i think a lot of the "no R rated movies" stuff came out in the 80s.  it still gets talked about from time to time, but yes, it doesn't make a lot of sense to an international church.  not everyone has the american rating system.

Yes, only one Prophet has made a statement about R rated moves (iirc) and it was President Ezra T. Benson in the 1980's when he was speaking to a group of young men about sexual content in movies.

Posted
16 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

Just finished Blood Diamond, an incredibly devastating film featuring a slave minor, a diamond smuggler and a journalist embroiled in the story of conflict diamonds on Sierra Leone.

Plot spoiler ahead: 

The worst part is not the killing, but the transforming of children into killing machines. The best part is not when the slave reunites his family and testifies before an international commission against blood diamonds, but when he finds his indoctrinated son and tells him, "They made you do bad things, but you are a good boy. You are my son and I will take you home."

I know many fellow LDS reject the practice of watching R-rated movies and I can respect that. For me, I don't feel a non-Church commission knows what is worthy of watching or not. 

I am willing to stop a show or movie that exploits violence, language, sex, to entertain and I make the effort to do so. I suppose I've hoped that is consistent with the spirit of the counsel we've been given against watching inappropriate content including rated-R movies. I feel that sometimes repulsive content may be a legitimate element of a genuine story which needs telling.

Maybe I just don't know how to find the very good movies which avoid R content while still speaking importance? I'm open-minded to that idea.

So, in the spirit of me re-evaluating my movie habits, what are some of your favorite non-R movies which also tell not-too-varnished, need-to-be told stories of life? Which ones effectively deliver gospel-consistent messages?

 

Depends of how didactic you want to  get.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, JAHS said:

Actually we are not specifically told to not watch R-rated movies, because some pg-13 movies might not be inappropriate. 

“Don’t attend or participate in any form of entertainment, including concerts, movies, and videocassettes, that is vulgar, immoral, inappropriate, suggestive, or pornographic in any way. Movie ratings do not always accurately reflect offensive content. Don’t be afraid to walk out of a movie, turn off a television set, or change a radio station if what’s being presented does not meet your Heavenly Father’s standards.”  (For the Strength of Youth)

We absolutely have been told this in the past. I believe Pres. Benson made a point of this in 1986. I've had leaders that have made this a requirement on temple recommends.

To avoid the problem I just watch the NR (not rated) version instead ;) 

ETA- here's a link to the lds.0rg page that lists results for R Rated movies. There are pages of references. This is hardly a topic to be dismissed merely as a one-and-done kind of mention. It has been a prevalent message

https://www.lds.org/search?lang=eng&query=r+rated+movies

From Pres. Benson specifically- "We counsel you, young women, not to pollute your minds with such degrading matter, for the mind through which this filth passes is never the same afterward. Don’t see R-rated movies or vulgar videos or participate in any entertainment that is immoral, suggestive, or pornographic. And don’t accept dates from young men who would take you to such entertainment."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1986/10/to-the-young-women-of-the-church?lang=eng

 

Edited by HappyJackWagon
Posted
10 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

 

"Apocalypto" is also rated R, but is perhaps the best picture of ancient Mesoamerican life just before the Spanish Conquista.

This is a terrific movie... and I really did think of the BoM peoples when I watched it... 

GG

 

Posted

It is not a commandment written down somewhere no to ever watch "R" rated movies, but counsel from our leaders to avoid them, the same with PG-13, movies that contain inappropriate material. I only watch "R" rated movies unless they are based on true stories concerning our history, such as war movies that depict battles that show the courage of our fighting men and women. Movies such as this are rated "R" because the battles and injuries are not "G" rated material. Also we need to see movies about the Holocost, that can be so awful, but helps us to understand the horrors of such event, so that we never allow something like this to happened again. Other than this, our elders admonishment is spot on. 

Years ago (I think President Hinckley) spoke about "R" Rated movies with their horrible violence spoke of how such movies a numbing to the soul. He then pointed out how bad it is to see men taking part in such violance...then how much worse to see women doing the same, and he is (was) so right. Seeing women is graphic sex or violance only causes men to see them as object, or with the violance, just as brutal and without soul as those who delight in it. I am not talking about men or women in war needing to defend themselves and their country. Either way, no harm would ever come to those who do not watch "R" rated movies, in fact we would all be vlessed if we did not...of that I am sure. If fact I an not see a downside of us all listening to and following the words of the Prophet. IMHO

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

We absolutely have been told this in the past. I believe Pres. Benson made a point of this in 1986. I've had leaders that have made this a requirement on temple recommends.

To avoid the problem I just watch the NR (not rated) version instead ;) 

ETA- here's a link to the lds.0rg page that lists results for R Rated movies. There are pages of references. This is hardly a topic to be dismissed merely as a one-and-done kind of mention. It has been a prevalent message

https://www.lds.org/search?lang=eng&query=r+rated+movies

From Pres. Benson specifically- "We counsel you, young women, not to pollute your minds with such degrading matter, for the mind through which this filth passes is never the same afterward. Don’t see R-rated movies or vulgar videos or participate in any entertainment that is immoral, suggestive, or pornographic. And don’t accept dates from young men who would take you to such entertainment."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1986/10/to-the-young-women-of-the-church?lang=eng

 

Like I said earlier, I know about the talks that mention not watching R-rated movies; I am talking about the general official guidance from the church today to members throughout the world. They want to avoid referring to any ratings systems because people might only think that only R-rated movies are the ones to avoid. And rating systems differ throughout the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_picture_rating_system

Most of those articles in the link you provided are stories about people who talked about not watching R-rated movies, but what I posted is the general counsel from the church.

 

Edited by JAHS
Posted (edited)

There is definitely still a stigma attached to members watching R rated movies.  

I'll bet there are members of this board who'd flatly refuse to watch a movie with an R rating (not even some of the great historical movies that are rated R such as Glory or Schindler's List, etc.).  I know that members still almost gasp if you state you're going to see a movie that is rated R.

I would never take a child to one and would even be selective about taking an older youth to see one, but I feel that way about some PG or PG-13 movies too.  

As adults, I think we're old enough and should be wise enough to select which movies are good to go see, irrelevant of what the rating on it is.  It feels very controlling to allow the church (or anyone else) to dictate which movies I go see as an adult.

.

Edited by ALarson
Posted

I love the title of this thread.  The only thing I would add is: "neener neener neener!" :)  Personally, I don't automatically exclude all R rated movies from my watch list, but I definitely consider it.  I don't feel comfortable with graphic sex or gratuitous violence.  Some nudity actually doesn't bother me if it is brief, appropriate to the plot and non sexual in nature (e.g., people running nakey-butt into the ocean, etc).  An interesting movie I have enjoyed that I think is quite spiritual in nature is The Green Mile.  I'm not normally a Stephen King fan, but I really love that story.

Posted
23 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

So, in the spirit of me re-evaluating my movie habits, what are some of your favorite non-R movies which also tell not-too-varnished, need-to-be told stories of life? Which ones effectively deliver gospel-consistent messages?

I think goodness and truth can be found anywhere, and in some of the least expected places. Yet we are commanded to stand in holy places, or where the Lord has asked us. Unless we lack that advantage, I think it is best seek knowledge and wisdom from the best “books” because there is sufficient opportunity to come across the worst without trying.

I think our leaders have referred to the MPAA rating system where it is used in the same sense that the Lord refers to the kingdoms of glory: while there are eternal principles and laws that govern even the lowest kingdoms (), where some good may be found among the “liars, and sorcerers, and adulterers, and whoremongers, and whosoever loves and makes a lie” (for even they “receive…  of the Holy Spirit through the ministration of the terrestrial (D&C 76:86, 103).”), we benefit far more by engaging in the greater light, kingdoms and books (D&C 88:36-38).

That said, I watch movies for purely their entertainment and recreational value!

Posted
2 hours ago, ALarson said:

There is definitely still a stigma attached to members watching R rated movies.  

I'll bet there are members of this board who'd flatly refuse to watch a movie with an R rating (not even some of the great historical movies that are rated R such as Glory or Schindler's List, etc.).  I know that members still almost gasp if you state you're going to see a movie that is rated R.

I would never take a child to one and would even be selective about taking an older youth to see one, but I feel that way about some PG or PG-13 movies too.  

As adults, I think we're old enough and should be wise enough to select which movies are good to go see, irrelevant of what the rating on it is.  It feels very controlling to allow the church (or anyone else) to dictate which movies I go see as an adult.

.

I am one who won't see a rated R movie, but I won't gasp if others do and I laugh at the idea that I am allowing the church to control me. When I plan on doing something and someone tells me I should do it I actually have to fight the rebellion that springs up in me that now wants me to refuse to do it. No, there is nothing about control here.

Rather, I know myself and I know my imagination and how the language, sex and violence, gratuitous or not affects me and it isn't pretty. It's just not worth my time to look into R rated movies to see if it will be ok with me. I have yet to find one that would work for me so at this point it makes no sense to me to keep looking. As it is, even in the movies or TV I see I will look away because I don't handle some of those things well. It isn't that I have thought about it and let the church control me. It is that I HAVE thought about it and made my own choice.

So I don't know how to answer your question Meadowchik. I can't think of one now, but I suspect that many that are out there I wouldn't see anyway for the same reasons I wouldn't see their R rated equivilents. I do know there are some so if I can remember any of them I will post them here later for you.

 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Rain said:

I am one who won't see a rated R movie, but I won't gasp if others do and I laugh at the idea that I am allowing the church to control me. When I plan on doing something and someone tells me I should do it I actually have to fight the rebellion that springs up in me that now wants me to refuse to do it. No, there is nothing about control here.

Rather, I know myself and I know my imagination and how the language, sex and violence, gratuitous or not affects me and it isn't pretty. It's just not worth my time to look into R rated movies to see if it will be ok with me. I have yet to find one that would work for me so at this point it makes no sense to me to keep looking. As it is, even in the movies or TV I see I will look away because I don't handle some of those things well. It isn't that I have thought about it and let the church control me. It is that I HAVE thought about it and made my own choice.

That's great and I totally respect you doing what works for you.

If you read what I stated, I said, "It feels controlling"....and it does, for me.  But each of us have to do what feels right for us.  I carefully read many reviews of a movie to see why it's rated R and then I still am selective regarding which ones I choose to view.  That's worked quite well for me (although I have walked out of a few movies in the past too).

Posted

I've had people scoff and say similar things about my choice so I clumped your words in with theirs. Sorry. 

But on that idea - couldn't that be said of anything the church advises? If they suggest we don't go into debt except for a few things or not drinking or reading scriptures? What makes this different? 

Posted

I never watched R rated movies.  Then I heard great things about Blood Diamond.  I watched it and loved it!  I think it is a movie that everybody should watch.  Then I started watching more R rated movies and ended up regretted watching most of them, so I stopped watching R rated movies.  Now I use vidangel.  Problem solved!

https://www.vidangel.com

Posted
12 hours ago, busybee said:

I have NO idea what an R-rating equates to in my country.

My husband and I decided early in our marriage that we would not watch anything that we would be uncomfortable watching with our children in the room . We have not wavered in that decision, it has however evolved as our children have grown. The movie mentioned in the OP is a great example of an excellent movie. We too will not watch movies with gratuitous violence or profanity,  and definitely no sexual content or smutty humour. So we still stick to the decision to not watch anything that we would be uncomfortable watching with our kids. The youngest is now 24.

As my kids grew older we of course changed their viewing habits. My oldest Granddaughter is 22 going on 40. Her dad turns 43 this year.   ;)

Posted
14 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

 

I watch Mollywood movies.

We all have our petty failings.

Well, you could watch Bollywood movies if you wanted.

A perfectly normal bit of movie dialogue suddenly dissolves into 5000 people singing and dancing in the street.

 

Posted
On 4 March 2016 at 11:06 PM, gclayjr said:

How about Saints and Soldiers!

Regards,

George Clay

As a Brit, I officially award the "worst British accent ever" award to this film. It was even worse than **** van Dyk in Mary Poppins :)

To the OP... Invictus is inspiring. Cry Freedom is another powerful but not gratuitous film. Both of the above are about South Africa. Probably worth watching Cry Freedom first.  

Posted
16 hours ago, ALarson said:

That's great and I totally respect you doing what works for you.

If you read what I stated, I said, "It feels controlling"....and it does, for me.  But each of us have to do what feels right for us.  I carefully read many reviews of a movie to see why it's rated R and then I still am selective regarding which ones I choose to view.  That's worked quite well for me (although I have walked out of a few movies in the past too).

It is no more "controlling" than any other exhortation to righteousness. Teaching wise conduct and warning of the consequences of not following it may rub some the wrong way, but it can't be said to control them. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It is no more "controlling" than any other exhortation to righteousness.  

I never stated that it was.  I was only expressing my feelings on this which are just as valid as yours. 

Current church leaders have not stated "no R rated movies" for adults.  I agree that many R rated movies (and also PG or PG13) are not appropriate for children or youth (in or out of the church).  As adults, hopefully we can made wise decisions on our own regarding which movies we choose to view.  Many things can be taken into consideration when making that choice.

I have found that I avoid movies with certain themes or story lines, no matter what they are rated (such as child abuse or anything to do with a child being harmed, but there are other themes I avoid too).  We just have to know ourselves and make wise choices regarding this and other things we expose ourselves to (music, literature and so on...).

. 

 

Edited by ALarson
Posted
On 3/5/2016 at 4:59 PM, thesometimesaint said:

Depends of how didactic you want to  get.

IMO every movie teaches something whether intentionally or unintentionally, usually both, even if meant as entertainment only.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...