Help

ERayR

I have arranged a lunch date with a lovely woman at the cafeteria (her suggestion) where she works (the local medical facility).  At this point I am hoping to turn this into future outings. 

First  - do I bring her a flower?  If so what would you suggest?

Second - If this goes well should I invite her to family outing Sunday Or is it a bit too soon for that?

Any other suggestions.

Speaking as a single woman....I think the flower would be a lovely gesture. I don't have a suggestion for a particular kind (maybe avoid a rose? I don't know).

As for the family outing, that may feel like a bit much at this point. But you could maybe get a better feel for that at the lunch date and float the idea out there if it seems natural.

I have arranged a lunch date with a lovely woman at the cafeteria (her suggestion) where she works (the local medical facility).  At this point I am hoping to turn this into future outings. 

Second - If this goes well should I invite her to family outing Sunday Or is it a bit too soon for that?

Any other suggestions.

Flower is a good idea, in a vase of course so she can keep it at her desk. Too soon for a family outing, maybe a nicer place to eat next--the cafeteria provides the perfect segue for that LOL! Have fun!

I was also single and dating for several years (I'm married again now).

I would have loved a guy bringing me a flower on our first date. Maybe something more cute or casual like a daisy would be fun (I love tulips too :))

As far as inviting her to a family outing, I'm not so sure. I don't know your situation, but who would this include? Kids, parents, extended family? As a general rule, it's a bit soon to have her meet family members (IMO). But there are always exceptions and maybe just wait and see if it feels right to invite her. Good luck!!!

Yes for simple flowers - not a bouquet of roses.  Maybe some wild flowers?  Family - not yet.  :D

Flower is a good idea, in a vase of course so she can keep it at her desk. Too soon for a family outing, maybe a nicer place to eat next--the cafeteria provides the perfect segue for that LOL! Have fun!

Vase could be bulky if she does not go right back to work.

Somewhere I've see folding plastic bag vases. Filling them with water creates a stable shape, but they can fit in a purse so can be carried around between home and work and play...dumping out water first of course.

Edited by calmoriah

Any other suggestions.

I would know better how to answer if I knew how you met. But, if flower...something simple. Family outing right away; no. Just what I would do...at my age and I believe we are close in age.

Alright!  Good for you ERayR!  I agree with a simple flower idea, daisies are a good idea something more along the wild flower line.  What a lovely gesture though, I hope she doesn't take it the wrong way.  And remember, don't try too hard, let her chase you too.  But maybe that is infantile advice.  No games!  But good luck, just have fun as if she's just a friend.  Less stressful. 

Hello ERayR...

Okay!! 

I'll add my voice to the flower suggestion... something casual... and I think florists have a small testube style vial that they can put cotton soaked with water or something so it will stay fresh... My supermarket has a floral dept with all sorts of lovely flowers... ask the clerk... I like the daisy... no roses yet. 

Family outing... not yet...

Just keep things casual till you see how you get along... have you known the lady long?

This is sort of  exciting...

GG

Hello ERayR...

Okay!! 

I'll add my voice to the flower suggestion... something casual... and I think florists have a small testube style vial that they can put cotton soaked with water or something so it will stay fresh... My supermarket has a floral dept with all sorts of lovely flowers... ask the clerk... I like the daisy... no roses yet. 

Family outing... not yet...

Just keep things casual till you see how you get along... have you known the lady long?

This is sort of  exciting...

GG

Two or three years but only on a professional basis.  The last couple of months she has had a smile and a warm greeting for me.  When I ask her, with some trepidation, if she would go out with me she enthusiastically accepted.   Also about 3 or 4 years ago she was a volunteer volleyball coach for the team my granddaughter, who was killed last year, played on.  I have some hopes but also some insecurities.  I feel like the guy in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

Simple flower - yes.

Family - I first thought, "no", but I'm actually going to say it depends.

Do your kids know you are going out? How do they feel about it? I suspect there will be a range of feelings, even as adults. That doesn't mean that she should never meet family if one or more kids is having a hard time with it. Just that for many it will be too soon.

As far as your date goes then it also depends. If she expressed an interest in meeting them then I think it would be fine. If not then it is probably too soon.

Edited by Rain

Any other suggestions.

Yes, bring a daisy.

And yes, if things go well go on a family outing.

Live life to the fullest ERayR.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Two or three years but only on a professional basis.  The last couple of months she has had a smile and a warm greeting for me.  When I ask her, with some trepidation, if she would go out with me she enthusiastically accepted.   Also about 3 or 4 years ago she was a volunteer volleyball coach for the team my granddaughter, who was killed last year, played on.  I have some hopes but also some insecurities.  I feel like the guy in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

Haha!!!  I love that movie.  :D  So when is the date?  Did it happen yet?  How did it go?  :D 

Thank you all for the advice.  I think that I will play it by ear inspiration.  Just pray that I will know what to do and have success in spite of myself.

Haha!!!  I love that movie.  :D  So when is the date?  Did it happen yet?  How did it go?  :D

Tomorrow

Thank you all for the advice.  I think that I will play it by ear inspiration.  Just pray that I will know what to do and have success in spite of myself.

Tomorrow

You need to keep us posted then.

I'd vote no to a family date for the second time.  Your children may be older, but that still doesn't mean you should parade your dates through the family until or unless you get to a place where you think it could be permanent.  And it is likely too overwhelming to her too (not to mention may speed things up too much when you need to talk your time.   It also interferes with your getting to know her.   (If you were talking about asking her if she'd like to help you complete the playhouse you are building for your grandchildren at their home, on a future date, I might have a different opinion because you could introduce her as another volunteer helper.)

I'd vote yes to a flower, but not a vase (and with no expectation it will survive the date, anyway).

Report:

Had an enjoyable lunch.  Went well but not as expected.  She is younger than I thought and involved in those aspects of life.  Had some good conversation and wound up with a very pleasant new young friend (though not in a romantic or future romantic way) and an invitation to do it again. 

Thanks for the input.

I'm glad it went well, though i'm sure it must be a little disappointing that it can't be romantic.  Oh well!  You have lived to date another day and that's what's important!

I have also added a very good friend to my friends roster.