Your Favorite Scripture And Why.

The scriptures have played a huge role in my life. During my lifetime, different scriptures have reached out and spoken deeply to my heart and soul. My favorite scripture is Romans 1:16:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth…..

This is my favorite scripture because of my mother. My mother grew up in a small East Texas town called Atlanta. She was one of the first converts in Atlanta and was baptized during her senior year of High School. As a result, her two best friends were banned from seeing her.

During a time when a young person only wants to fit in and have friends, my mother found herself being ostracized and all alone. This scripture gave her comfort and the strength to help face a very difficult time in her life.

As a side note, I recently went back to Atlanta, Texas with my mother for a visit. Atlanta now has a beautiful LDS Church with a big ward with many prominent members of the community. Times have certainly changed in the South.

I love hearing about other’s favorite scriptures!

What is your favorite scripture and why?

I have always liked

Doctrine and Covenants 133:52-53

"And now the year of my redeemed is come; and they shall mention the loving kindness of their Lord, and all that he has bestowed upon them according to his goodness, and according to his loving kindness, forever and ever.

In all their afflictions he was afflicted. And the angel of his presence saved them; and in his love, and in his pity, he redeemed them, and bore them, and carried them all the days of old;"

I have tried to focus on God's love in my life and this struck me when I read it

I have always liked

Doctrine and Covenants 133:52-53

"And now the year of my redeemed is come; and they shall mention the loving kindness of their Lord, and all that he has bestowed upon them according to his goodness, and according to his loving kindness, forever and ever.

In all their afflictions he was afflicted. And the angel of his presence saved them; and in his love, and in his pity, he redeemed them, and bore them, and carried them all the days of old;"

I have tried to focus on God's love in my life and this struck me when I read it

Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I have many favorites. One is Helaman 5:12-

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Another one is Isaiah 61:3-

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified."

Another one is Isaiah 61:3-

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified."

that's a great one, Elder Hafen of the 70 wrote an article entitled, "beauty from Ashes" in the ensign, in case you didn't know! Great stuff!

I have always liked 2Ne9:18

"18 But, behold, the righteous, the saints of the Holy One of Israel, they who have believed in the Holy One of Israel, they who have endured the crosses of the world, and despised the shame of it, they shall inherit the kingdom of God, which was prepared for them from the foundation of the world, and their joy shall be full forever."

I am sure a lot of people have many favorite scriptures. Oddly enough mine is simply

Jesus wept.

I became fond of this scripture while teaching seminary. Probably most of you are familiar with this scripture since it is one of the most quotes scriptures in seminary because it is also one of the shortest scriptures in the Bible. So how did it become one of my favorite scriptures?

Lazarus was extremely ill and near death. Martha and Mary who were close to Jesus sent messengers to ask Christ to come and heal their beloved brother. The scriptures record that Christ lingered for 4 days before responding. By the time Jesus got there, Lazarus had already died. When Mary comes to meet Jesus, she cries to Him, if He had only been here sooner, her beloved brother would not have died. Then the bible records that "Jesus wept." I think of all the things that Jesus could have done or said. He could have chastised Mary for not believing in the resurrection, or He could have explained to her that God had a plan for Lazarus. or a hundred other responses. But instead Christ felt noting but love and compassion for Mary. And sometimes the best thing for us to to is to weep for those that are grieving.

Ironically enough it is this single event that compelled the Pharisees to decide that Christ had gotten out of control and had to be dealt with. Within 2 weeks, Christ was on the cross. He must have known that raising Lazarus from the dead would set in motion His own pending death. Yet, his response to Mary was simply. "Jesus wept".

I am sure a lot of people have many favorite scriptures. Oddly enough mine is simply

Jesus wept.

I became fond of this scripture while teaching seminary. Probably most of you are familiar with this scripture since it is one of the most quotes scriptures in seminary because it is also one of the shortest scriptures in the Bible. So how did it become one of my favorite scriptures?

Lazarus was extremely ill and near death. Martha and Mary who were close to Jesus sent messengers to ask Christ to come and heal their beloved brother. The scriptures record that Christ lingered for 4 days before responding. By the time Jesus got there, Lazarus had already died. When Mary comes to meet Jesus, she cries to Him, if He had only been here sooner, her beloved brother would not have died. Then the bible records that "Jesus wept." I think of all the things that Jesus could have done or said. He could have chastised Mary for not believing in the resurrection, or He could have explained to her that God had a plan for Lazarus. or a hundred other responses. But instead Christ felt noting but love and compassion for Mary. And sometimes the best thing for us to to is to weep for those that are grieving.

Ironically enough it is this single event that compelled the Pharisees to decide that Christ had gotten out of control and had to be dealt with. Within 2 weeks, Christ was on the cross. He must have known that raising Lazarus from the dead would set in motion His own pending death. Yet, his response to Mary was simply. "Jesus wept".

beautiful!

Moroni 7:48

48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

I love this scripture because it gives me hope that I truly can become like the Savior. I long for that day.

Ecclesiastes 3:11

He hath made every [thing] beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

I love this scripture because it conveys the vastness of God's creation and that all things are beautiful. It teaches us that there is no end to learning because there will always be new things to discover about the universe. Understanding this helps us to learn humility and have reverence for all of God's creations. When we ponder God's creations we can come to understand how much God loves us and that his plan for us perfect even if we don't fully understand everything.

I know it's a scripture mastery, but it has always been my favorite:

Ether 12:27-28

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.

28 Behold, I will show unto the Gentiles their weakness, and I will show unto them that afaith, hope and charity bringeth unto me—the fountain of all brighteousness.

I guess it's my favorite for personal reasons... I am a very flawed person... and have a long ways to go to get to him. This gives me hope that I can eventually reach him =).

Edited by TAO

I forgot I was going to add to this thread.

1 Ch. 16:29 Give unto the lord the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.

It is restated in ps 29:2 and ps 96:8.

Jeremiah 20:7-9

O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived; thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.

Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

Two scriptures:

1. D&C 58:42... "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more."

2. Isaiah 1:18... "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Reason they are my favorites.... self explanatory...

from the beach on a lovely sunny day... crisp, but a welcome from the gray rain.

GG

Pretty much all of 1 Cor 13, but in particular:

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Also D&C 84:88 which is written for missionaries, but I believe can be expanded to whomever is listening to the Spirit with the intent of doing whatever God would have him do to accomplish His Work:

88 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.

This one helped me get through a hard labour once upon a time.

Edited by calmoriah

Also D&C 84:88 which is written for missionaries, but I believe can be expanded to whomever is listening to the Spirit with the intent of doing whatever God would have him do to accomplish His Work:

This one helped me get through a hard labour once upon a time.

Lots of great scriptures posted here. This one is beautiful imagery, driving home the point that He is everywhere with you. I read it to mean, at least at one level, that The Father is taking your right hand, the Son is taking your left. The holy ghost is guiding your heart, and the angels are serving as holy sentinels, protecting you on your journey.