Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

@bluebell

No doubt, as an historian, you've heard the saying from Spanish philosopher Jorge Santayana that "Those who don't know [or who don't learn from] history are destined to repeat it."  With recent events in Israel, I've been unnerved slightly and saddened greatly by the anti-Semitism that's broken out in much of the world.  (Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised: It's hard not to think that it hasn't been bubbling just under the surface for quite some time, simply waiting for an excuse to come to the fore.)

While I make no claim to knowing anything about anything, and while I do think, when considering history and/or when trying to evaluate current events in light of it, that it's important to avoid parallelomania, nevertheless, I can't help but think that there's more than a good deal of irony in how so many excoriate those clueless Germans of the 1930s and 40s ("How could they do such a thing?!") and yet, in the very next breath, they excoriate modern Israelis for their "overreaction" to the attacks by Hamas.

:unknw:

[Apologies for the thread jack!  We now return you to your regularly-scheduled, on-topic programming! :D]

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Took my teenage daughter to go see this over the weekend at one of the Dolby theaters here in the metroplex, and I thought it was actually a pretty good medium for watching a performing artist. Sound was great, views were clear, and seats were comfy (for those of us who were happy to sit through the 2.5 hr+ show).

There was some CGI added to the film for the transitions between 'eras' that I thought was kind of sub-par. I would have skipped all of that and just gone with however it was handled in the actual show, but I don't think kids will be bothered by that.

All in all, we had a fun time.

1 hour ago, Amulek said:

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Took my teenage daughter to go see this over the weekend at one of the Dolby theaters here in the metroplex, and I thought it was actually a pretty good medium for watching a performing artist. Sound was great, views were clear, and seats were comfy (for those of us who were happy to sit through the 2.5 hr+ show).

There was some CGI added to the film for the transitions between 'eras' that I thought was kind of sub-par. I would have skipped all of that and just gone with however it was handled in the actual show, but I don't think kids will be bothered by that.

All in all, we had a fun time.

You are a good dad. 

On 10/30/2023 at 9:11 AM, Calm said:

You are a good dad. 

I had a good role model.

My dad never cared for sports at all (not even a little bit), but he came to every single football game from junior high on up just to see his kids perform in the marching band. Now, sometimes he would take off after halftime but he was always there, and that always meant a lot to me - more so now that I'm older and have kids of my own who are into things that I, likewise, don't especially care for. :)

Hocus Pocus

Belated, but we finally got around to watching it last night (the original, of course, not the disappointing sequel). 

Makes for a fun holiday tradition. Out of curiosity, are there any other people here who do the same? Are there certain movies you always watch at certain times of the year (e.g., Christmas)?

1 hour ago, Amulek said:

Hocus Pocus

Belated, but we finally got around to watching it last night (the original, of course, not the disappointing sequel). 

Makes for a fun holiday tradition. Out of curiosity, are there any other people here who do the same? Are there certain movies you always watch at certain times of the year (e.g., Christmas)?

There used to be when all my kids were younger but not so much anymore.  My husband doesn't really enjoy watching movies more than once, my older kids aren't in the house anymore really, and the younger ones are old enough now (9 and 10) that the fun kids type movies don't hold their interest for more than one showing.

We used to watch the Muppet Christmas Carol and It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown every year though, when I could still get people to do it.  I'll still put on Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas if it comes on to play in the background because I loved that show when I was little, but it's way too unsophisticated to interest my kids.

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

still put on Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas if it comes on to play in the background because I loved that show when I was little, but it's way too unsophisticated to interest my kids.

In 2019, it was announced that a film remake of Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas was in the works to be directed by Bret McKenzie.[3]

Wiki…

On 11/4/2023 at 12:57 PM, bluebell said:

There used to be when all my kids were younger but not so much anymore. 

We'll usually turn Independence Day on at some point during the Fourth of July break, and my wife and I still stay up late on Christmas Eve and wrap presents with White Christmas running in the background. Good times.

2 hours ago, Amulek said:

We'll usually turn Independence Day on at some point during the Fourth of July break, and my wife and I still stay up late on Christmas Eve and wrap presents with White Christmas running in the background. Good times.

I watched White Christmas for the first time a couple of years ago and I didn't get the appeal. I wonder if some shows you have to watch for the first time as a kid for them to really stick.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:38 AM, Amulek said:

Hocus Pocus

Of course you have to watch Die Hard for Christmas

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I watched White Christmas for the first time a couple of years ago and I didn't get the appeal. I wonder if some shows you have to watch for the first time as a kid for them to really stick.

I never liked it, but my guess is definitely the childhood tradition adds to the appeal.  Lots of us like to revisit the nicer childhood feelings.

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

I watched White Christmas for the first time a couple of years ago and I didn't get the appeal.

Well, to be fair, it's not an amazing film. Don't get me wrong, I really like the title song, but the rest is just kind of okay.   

2 hours ago, transublimination said:

Of course you have to watch Die Hard for Christmas

No objections here. Would probably need to find an edited version to be kid friendly, but I wouldn't mind throwing it in the mix somewhere between Elf and The Santa Clause. 

When I was a kid there was a period of time - maybe it was only a couple of years - where, every Thanksgiving, TBS would play 24 hours of Eastwood. To this day I would still very much prefer to see The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly over any Cowboys game on turkey day. 

We watched Warm Bodies again for something like the 6th or 7th time. More than any other show I've watched except for maybe a traditional thing like It's A Wonderful Life.

When it first came out there was no way I was going to watch it. I don't like zombie stuff. I heard the plot on the radio, told my husband and he agreed that we definitely didn't want to watch it.  We were vocal about it so our kids knew.

Then we saw a trailer for it and we and the kids came out of the theater wanting to watch it - maybe.  My husband and I chose to watch it without telling the kids and we loved it so much we took them back. 

I don't buy movies for myself usually. I just don't like watching the same ones over and over again.  But we bought this one.  My parents were here for my daughter's graduation last week so we pulled it up and watched it again!

Funny thing, along with the gory, horror type movies I don't like, I also don't like it in decorations or costumes. Lately though I have been wanting a big skeleton. I don't want it scary or anything. Just doing something a normal person would, like riding a bike. Saw a picture the other day of a very tall one putting up Christmas lights on the roof.  Loved it! 

Edited by Rain
46 minutes ago, Rain said:

We watched Warm Bodies again for something like the 6th or 7th time. More than any other show I've watched except for maybe a traditional thing like It's A Wonderful Life.

When it first came out there was no way I was going to watch it. I don't like zombie stuff. I heard the plot on the radio, told my husband and he agreed that we definitely didn't want to watch it.  We were vocal about it so our kids knew.

Then we saw a trailer for it and we and the kids came out of the theater wanting to watch it - maybe.  My husband and I chose to watch it without telling the kids and we loved it so much we took them back. 

I don't buy movies for myself usually. I just don't like watching the same ones over and over again.  But we bought this one.  My parents were here for my daughter's graduation last week so we pulled it up and watched it again!

Funny thing, along with the gory, horror type movies I don't like, I also don't like it in decorations or costumes. Lately though I have been wanting a big skeleton. I don't want it scary or anything. Just doing something a normal person would, like riding a bike. Saw a picture the other day of a very tall one putting up Christmas lights on the roof.  Loved it! 

My daughter, she's 39, would go bonkers to be able to take Halloween into Christmas with a large skeleton putting lights up! I better not give her ideas, or I better giver her ideas, that's so funny! 

We have done the Grinch taking down our lights in the past.

53 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My daughter, she's 39, would go bonkers to be able to take Halloween into Christmas with a large skeleton putting lights up! I better not give her ideas, or I better giver her ideas, that's so funny! 

We have done the Grinch taking down our lights in the past.

I think you should totally give her ideas! Except those big skeletons are expensive!