Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

On 2/5/2024 at 5:30 PM, bluebell said:

That's a good one.  Especially since it's based on a true story.

On 2/5/2024 at 4:18 PM, Tacenda said:

"The Vow", good every time I watch it. :)

Ok, I'm blaming you two if I cough my lungs out (I have a cold) if this makes me cry and stirs up my coughing.

Watching Netflix a little more often, hurt back, and watched this one in black and white. Such a good one, with a theme that has a message as well. 

"The Children's Hour" with Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine and James Garner. 

Not a movie, but hopefully it's okay I put this here. I love Queer Eye, my son and daughter in law shared this gem of a series a few years ago, I've watched since Season 1 and it's now on Season 8. Each time I'm filled with several emotions while watching this team of men change people's lives. The latest one they help a hearing impaired coach/teacher at a deaf school, it had me smiling ear to ear and tears welling up as well. I recommend this series to all who can partake, it's such a heartwarming show, that some may be off put at first by these wonderful gay men, they aren't your usual men, far better! haha But not what they are but who they are and how they help change lives. I see them as genuine as well, very. 

https://bobbyberk.com/queer-eye-season-8-denton-the-makeover-and-reveal/

• 2 weeks later...

Here in the northern part of Utah, it's windy and heavy snow so we battened down the hatches and watched "Yesteryear". I saw it already a few years ago, and it's good the second time around as well. Beatles' fans will surely love it, as well. Netflix had it added recently, great movie!

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Here in the northern part of Utah, it's windy and heavy snow so we battened down the hatches and watched "Yesteryear". I saw it already a few years ago, and it's good the second time around as well. Beatles' fans will surely love it, as well. Netflix had it added recently, great movie!

Is it called "yesterday"?  It was a good movie.  Interesting premise.

Went to go see Dune: Part 2 yesterday at the AMC Dolby theater I like. 2h 46m is a long time to be sitting for one show, so I want the best seats (and sound) possible.

I really enjoyed the movie. As one might expect, there were some changes made when compared to the book, but I thought most of them worked pretty well.

The director has started working on writing the script for a Part 3 (which, technically, has not yet officially been greenlit) to adapt the second book, Dune Messiah, as the final chapter.

I say not yet, but I assume the first two films have garnered enough buzz and (more importantly) money for the final act to be all but a done deal. It's just a matter of time, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

What did you think about Alia’s part or the lack of it?

My daughter said they didn’t do much with the Space guild either or explained the connections between it all which took a lot of the edge off in her opinion.

Trying not to do spoilers for those who haven’t read the books.

She says it’s the first adaptation she wish she never saw.  She now understands why I have never been able to watch the Lord of the Rings movies as much as I want to see the scenery.

Edited by Calm
On 3/7/2024 at 6:26 PM, Calm said:

What did you think about Alia’s part or the lack of it?

So, as much as I really loved the book, this was actually one of the changes I thought worked well on film.

In the books, Herbert was able to execute this concept of a four year old who looks her age but thinks, speaks, and acts like an adult (who just also happens to be a genius and full blown Reverand Mother to boot).

I don't think that's something that would translate on screen in a way that feels genuine to modern audiences though. I know it's sci-fi and all, but nobody is going to go along with Doogie Howser, pre-K.

My daughter said they didn’t do much with the Space guild either or explained the connections between it all which took a lot of the edge off in her opinion.

They didn't go into any meaningful detail about the Spacing Guild in either of the movies, but that didn't really bother me. The Guild doesn't play a big role in the first book, so focusing on them now would just make things too convoluted. You've got enough going on with the Harkonnens, the Bene Gesserit, and the Emperor. 

She says it’s the first adaptation she wish she never saw.  

While I don't think all of the changes were net positives, overall I think this is probably the best adaptation of Dune that has been done. And I highly recommend people go see it on the biggest, loudest screen possible. It's one of those films that is just meant to be seen in theaters.

She now understands why I have never been able to watch the Lord of the Rings movies as much as I want to see the scenery.

I get that. 

No film is going to be a perfect recreation of the source material, but Peter Jackson's adaptation of LOTR is pretty faithful to the original - much more so than many other books I've seen made into films.

Most of the changes involve cutting small things out or merging some of the side character actions onto the main cast. (Arwen is a good example of that - there's a bit more of her in the movies than in the books, but I think those alterations are all in keeping with the spirit of things.)

Still, if you know those are the sorts of things that are going to bother you and ruin the experience, well, you would know you the best. 

And, given that the extended versions run 11+ hours in total, that's basically an entire day you can spend doing something else instead. :D

2 hours ago, Amulek said:

They didn't go into any meaningful detail about the Spacing Guild in either of the movies, but that didn't really bother me. The Guild doesn't play a big role in the first book, so focusing on them now would just make things too convoluted. You've got enough going on with the Harkonnens, the Bene Gesserit, and the Emperor. 

Just seems like Paul has much less leverage if you don’t know the true importance of Spice to the economy.

21 hours ago, Calm said:

Just seems like Paul has much less leverage if you don’t know the true importance of Spice to the economy.

Oh, the movies make it clear that interstellar travel is impossible without spice, making it (by far) the most valuable substance in the universe. They just don't spend much time on the Spacing Guild itself. 

My son and grandson loved it…though my son who has read the books didn’t like the portrayal of Jessica (too much of a villain in his view).

He thought the look of the film was very well done.  Makes me wish I could see it on the full screen rather than what will likely be my IPad.

Edited by Calm
20 minutes ago, Calm said:

My son and grandson loved it…though my son who has read the books didn’t like the portrayal of Jessica (too much of a villain in his view).

He thought the look of the film was very well done.  Makes me wish I could see it on the full screen rather than what will likely be my IPad.

My son and daughter in law said it was so good and to make sure we see it on the big screen. They hadn't been to a movie theater for quite awhile. Hope you can see it on as large a screen as possible! I'm going to watch part one and then go see it hopefully. My husband doesn't care to see it, darn it.

13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm going to watch part one and then go see it hopefully.

Find a girlfriend and make it a ladies’ night out.  :) 

Maybe if the endless cycle of doctor and dental appointments that we seem to be stuck in could end after next week, maybe it is worth the risk.  I think the last movie I saw in theatres was Star Wars’ Force Awakens, so 2015.  It will feel a bit weird sitting there with headphones on to lower the volume, lol.  Might require earplugs as well from what I remember.  I wonder if I could get new glasses by then as I hate my progressives.  Been meaning to get them for driving so it’s easier to catch the big picture.  If I am going to that effort, I want maximum enjoyment with minimal discomfort.  :P 

I really would prefer not to end my movie going days with The Force Awakens.

Now if I could talk my daughter into going too so we can take it apart afterwards (an essential part of the movie ritual for me)….between Covid and mass shootings, she has a bit of a theatre phobia.  My husband isn’t a nitpicker, so no fun when analyzing and deconstructing.

I am rambling.  Time for sleep, I guess.  :) 

Edited by Calm
11 hours ago, Calm said:

Find a girlfriend and make it a ladies’ night out.  :) 

Maybe if the endless cycle of doctor and dental appointments that we seem to be stuck in could end after next week, maybe it is worth the risk.  I think the last movie I saw in theatres was Star Wars” Force Awakens, so 2015.  It will feel a bit weird sitting there with headphones on to lower the volume, lol.  Might require earplugs as well from what I remember.  I wonder if I could get new glasses by then as I hate my progressives.  Been meaning to get them for driving so it’s easier to catch the big picture.  If I am going to that effort, I want maximum enjoyment with minimal discomfort.  :P 

I really would prefer not to end my movie going days with The Force Awakens.

Now if I could talk my daughter into going to so we can take it apart afterwards (an essential part of the movie ritual for me)….between Covid and mass shootings, she has a bit of a theatre phobia.  My husband isn’t a nitpicker, so no fun when analyzing and deconstructing.

I am rambling.  Time for sleep, I guess.  :) 

I love your "rambling" but not rambling to me! My wish is for you and your family see it, in the best of circumstances. 

Edited by Tacenda

I'm purposefully not re-reading the books and keeping my memory of the details fuzzy. That way, I won't be too disappointed with changes. I've read some spoilers of the changes and think that will actually help my enjoyment. I won't be caught off guard. I am seeing the movie Saturday. I loved the first movie.

My biggest complaint with the Lord of the Rings movie adaptions is I felt they completely ruined Faramir. Very frustrating. Overall, the movies did a really good job. The last movie disappointed me the most. The Hobbit trilogy was unwatchable for me. 

23 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I'm purposefully not re-reading the books and keeping my memory of the details fuzzy. That way, I won't be too disappointed with changes. I've read some spoilers of the changes and think that will actually help my enjoyment. I won't be caught off guard. I am seeing the movie Saturday. I loved the first movie.

My biggest complaint with the Lord of the Rings movie adaptions is I felt they completely ruined Faramir. Very frustrating. Overall, the movies did a really good job. The last movie disappointed me the most. The Hobbit trilogy was unwatchable for me. 

The Hobbit trilogy just became a money grab.  If they had stuck with one movie, or two at the most, it would have been so much better.  And no Tauriel.  I agree about Faramir as well.  Taking the hobbits to osgiliath was too much of a stretch.

I liked the second Dune, though I've never read the books.  The movie is entertaining and the actors do a great job.  For anyone not familiar with the story though I recommend re-watching Dune 1 before seeing Dune 2 again if it's been a while.  The second movie starts right up from where the first one left off. 

Watched Damsel on Netflix last night.  The premise is interesting and the movie was entertaining (even though the fight scenes were overlong and kind of showed the lack of plot/story).  The one thing that I thought was weird was how the leading actress, Millie Bobby Brown, is English yet her english accent during the movie sounded so fake.  Very odd.

I also thought the make up they put her in was distracting but I think they might have done that so they could show how much she has changed by the time she's going toe-to-toe with the dragon.

27 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Millie Bobby Brown, is English yet her english accent during the movie sounded so fake.  Very odd.

Was it her actual accent?