Seriously No Politics ×

Pres. Uchtdorf at first session: the g and s building

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf is giving an important address at the first session (women's session) of general conference right now.

He is referring to Lehi's dream and speaking specifically about the great and spacious building in that dream, applying it to those who doubt, let go of the iron rod, wander away from the path and even join those in the building in their mocking and laughing at those who are still on the path.

"Choosing the path of discipleship will lead to the fulfillment of your divine nature."

I look forward to reading and absorbing the text of this talk at my leisure.

President Uchtdorf has become a favorite of mine among the Brethren.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

My favorite part was the long bit about loving our enemies and realizing WE are the ones who need to change.  THAT'S what I understood to be the discipleship he was speaking of.  Isn't interesting how we get different things from the same place?

I thought the song was hymn 154, but maybe not?  What was the main lyric?  (I heard it but it's already left me, lol).

9 hours ago, Maidservant said:

My favorite part was the long bit about loving our enemies and realizing WE are the ones who need to change.  THAT'S what I understood to be the discipleship he was speaking of.  Isn't interesting how we get different things from the same place?

I'll have to admit I tuned in late, so it's likely I never saw/heard portions you picked up on. (That's the beauty of President Uchtdorf's talks: You can come in at any portion and still be well-fed.)

I thought the song was hymn 154, but maybe not?  What was the main lyric?  (I heard it but it's already left me, lol).

I just looked it up, and I see it's a hymn I have never even seen before, much less sung. But it only has one verse; I thought the women tonight sang more than one.

it's times like this I wish I were still ward choir director. When I found something I was unacquainted with that I really liked, I would have our choir sing it. It was quite satisfying.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
17 minutes ago, juliann said:

Ahem. Why aren't we talking about the women speakers at the women's session?  Pres. Jones used the words....Heavenly Mother!

*Mother in Heaven, quoting Pres. Kimball, to be exact.

Well, (ahem) I must sheepishly admit President Uchtdorf's was the only one I saw, because it never occurred to me to tune in until the session was almost over. :pardon:

I look forward to reading/seeing/hearing the women's talks later. I'm always edified by them.

Did Sister Oscarson speak tonight? She's one of my favorites. And not just because she's my former mission mom (more like an older sister, because she was only 24 years old when she and Paul began serving).

53 minutes ago, juliann said:

Ahem. Why aren't we talking about the women speakers at the women's session?  Pres. Jones used the words....Heavenly Mother!

When did we start letting women speak in the women's sess.........uhhhh, never mind. I do not want to be lynched.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I'll have to admit I tuned in late, so it's likely I never saw/heard portions you picked up on. (That's the beauty of President Bednar's talks: You can come in at any portion and still be well-fed.)

I just looked it up, and I see it's a hymn I have never even seen before, much less sung. But it only has one verse; I thought the women tonight sang more than one.

it's times like this I wish I were still ward choir director. When I found something I was unacquainted with that I really liked, I would have our choir sing it. It was quite satisfying.

Unfortunately HiJolly did not have the inside scoop for this session.

27 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I completely forgot about it!!  I will be watching/listening to it today or sometime this week though.  

My married son and also my married daughter both live over in a very Mormon Arizona community.  I was surprised to learn that high schools held their homecoming dances last night (many of them).  I talked to my daughter this morning and she said most Moms and girls did not attend or listen last night (stake center with ice cream social beforehand).  She told me most just tape it and listen to it later now and I do think that is becoming more common.

My wife enjoyed it.  She does especially love hearing from the women.

Edited by ALarson
20 minutes ago, ALarson said:

My married son and also my married daughter both live over in a very Mormon Arizona community.  I was surprised to learn that high schools held their homecoming dances last night (many of them).  I talked to my daughter this morning and she said most Moms and girls did not attend or listen last night (stake center with ice cream social beforehand).  She told me most just tape it and listen to it later now and I do think that is becoming more common.

My wife enjoyed it.  She does especially love hearing from the women.

My children go to the school with the largest seminary here (at least from what I understand), but there are still a lot of kids who are not members. I know the principal is not a member and various teachers are not, though I know the superintendent is. So while there are a lot of members there are still a lot who are not.

Even when I lived in Utah though our school had a marching band competition on conference weekend. It was started a year when my son was under a nonmember director. The next year the director was LDS and he had heard so many pleas to change it that he really tried to not hold it that weekend. The problem? Nearly everything in high school calendars is affected by school events/activities in the schools around, the schools further into the state and even out of state.  

Edited by Rain
31 minutes ago, Rain said:

My children go to the school with the largest seminary here (at least from what I understand), but there are still a lot of kids who are not members. I know the principal is not a member and various teachers are not, though I know the superintendent is. So while there are a lot of members there are still a lot who are not.

Of course.  The school they attend does have a Mormon principal and mainly Mormon teachers (as well as it being over 90% Mormon kids attending from what I've been told).  That was why I was a bit surprised.  But, they still plan on listening to the broadcast later.  My daughter just said that her Bishop and YW President and Relief Society President were not real happy about it because there is a lot of effort put into the social at the Stake Center and wanted it to be supported and well attended.  It really cut downon  the numbers of who attended as that was not the only High School in the stake having Homecoming last night.  I know there isn't always a lot of control over that too.

I was also responding to bluebell that I think it's becoming much more common to tape it and watch it later....

Edited by ALarson
1 hour ago, ALarson said:

Of course.  The school they attend does have a Mormon principle and mainly Mormon teachers (as well as it being over 90% Mormon kids attending from what I've been told).  That was why I was a bit surprised.  But, they still plan on listening to the broadcast later.  My daughter just said that her Bishop and YW President and Relief Society President were not real happy about it because there is a lot of effort put into the social at the Stake Center and wanted it to be supported and well attended.  It really cut downon  the numbers of who attended as that was not the only High School in the stake having Homecoming last night.  I know there isn't always a lot of control over that too.

I was also responding to bluebell that I think it's becoming much more common to tape it and watch it later....

Having a Mormon administrator does not guarantee you'll get Mormon-friendly administration. If anything, it may be apt to be less so. 

The first superintendent we had after they formed our new school district was Mormon and a BYU grad. But he was kind of a steamroller in implementing his goals, and he enjoyed a  working relationship with a compliant school board apt to rubber stamp whatever he wanted.

His way to get everyone "college ready" was to try to cram more required academic courses into the school day for high school.  This, of course, reduced the number of available elective slots, and when concerns were raised about how this might impact released-time LDS seminary enrollment, he was initially cavalier about it, saying the Church would just have to hold more classes before or after school (there is already an early-morning option for the kids who need it, but it doesn't work well for everyone). Local and area Church leaders cooperated with him (ultimately, released-time seminary remained an option) but I don't think they were really enthused about his attitude. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I completely forgot about it!!  I will be watching/listening to it today or sometime this week though.  

Bluebell, this is hard for me to believe! But I know you are not a liar. But still amazes me you didn't know it was the General Conference Women's session yesterday.

I also tuned in late because I went to a movie and caught Elder Uchtdorf's talk that was almost over. I wasn't happy that he made the analogy with the tree of life and the people laughing in the big and spacious building, it seemed he was making an analogy directed to members such as me, minus the laughing outsiders but those that turn away from the tree because of doubt. Or atleast that's how I took it. 

11 hours ago, juliann said:

You can always start a separate thread ... unless engaging in tyranny by showing up randomly in threads and demanding to know why people aren't talking about what you think they should be talking about in that particular thread is what floats your boat. :rolleyes: 

12 hours ago, juliann said:

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

You can always start a separate thread ... unless engaging in tyranny by showing up randomly in threads and demanding to know why people aren't talking about what you think they should be talking about in that particular thread is what floats your boat. :rolleyes: 

15 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think Juliann does raise a valid point, though. If we are going to discuss the women's session, we should highlight women speakers. 

A couple of years ago, Scott started a thread that was extremely complimentary and was devoted specifically to Sister Oscarson's talk (I don't recall, but I think it was in a General Session), but don't let that fool you, Juliann.  He's just trying to thwart your neverending quest to stamp out misogyny wherever it may be found (and even in many places where it may not be found).  I've never met Scott in real life, but I have it on good authority that he's nothing but a misogynistic pig. :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, Scott Lloyd said:

President Uchtdorf, as I recall, has expressed patience with those who have doubts ("questions" would be a better word). 

I see a distinction between merely entertaining or harboring doubts and wallowing in them, obsessing over them and promulgating them, as though to sow seeds of doubt in others. 

I believe it is the latter, not the former, to which President Uchtdorf is applying the imagery of the great and spacious building. 

Whether that has application to oneself is, of course, a matter for personal and quiet introspection. 

Indeed.  The so-called "Recovery From Mormonism," should, instead, be called "Wallowing in Non-Recovery" (WINR, pronounced "Whiner." ;):D)

2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think Juliann does raise a valid point, though. If we are going to discuss the women's session, we should highlight women speakers. 

I so agree with this Scott...ur....um...did I just agree with you Scott??  Yes..I do!!:) 

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I also tuned in late because I went to a movie and caught Elder Uchtdorf's talk that was almost over. I wasn't happy that he made the analogy with the tree of life and the people laughing in the big and spacious building, it seemed he was making an analogy directed to members such as me, minus the laughing outsiders but those that turn away from the tree because of doubt. Or atleast that's how I took it. 

I had a really hard time with Nephi for awhile. Sometimes he seemed very self righteous etc. Then one day I came across a passage (don't remember which one) that showed me just how much he loved his family. I realized that sometimes he might have erred in his behavior, but he really wanted the best for those he loved so he was trying his best to help them get back to Heavenly Father.

I have seen this great love in President Uchtdorf. He is unjudging and has this great humor. I think that if you look at these things and try to feel God's love for you that you will find some from President Uchtdorf despite some things he may not have communicated well.

Perhaps one thing to do rather that assuming the analogy was directed at you and being unhappy about it would be to ask, "Lord, is it I?" If it is not then you need not worry.  If it is then the you can ask the Lord if you need to change or not and what you need to do if you need to change.  

Indeed.  The so-called "Recovery From Mormonism," should, instead, be called "Wallowing in Non-Recovery" (WINR, pronounced "Whiner." ;):D)

Oh my!

Are we allowed to chastise a member who's a "Contributor" with 7,225 posts and 4,654 green-approval belly stars, without getting banned ourselves?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OCJUdhhBRIg

Edited by PeterPear

I love it!

I think it was Greg Smith who proposed a variation on "ever learning but never able to come to a knowledge." As I recall, his version was "ever doubting but never able to come to a resolution."