Seriously No Politics ×

BYU bans fan for racial slur

Okrahomer

9 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

If you've never attended a volleyball game in the Smith Fieldhouse, you're missing out; but this sort of thing is just so...disappointing. 

Can the police charge someone for that?  I am glad they permanently booted him, but why wasn’t he kicked out the first time he yelled it?  Seriously, stop the game and get him out before continuing. 

Edited by Calm
5 minutes ago, Calm said:

Can the police charge someone for that?  I am glad they permanently booted him, but why wasn’t he kicked out the first time he yelled it?  Seriously, stop the game and get him out before continuing. 

I agree.  It seems like the police could file charges against him.  The Deseret News also has a bit more information.  Apparently, it was difficult to identify the culprit.  There were over 5,000 people at the match, and it was a very raucous crowd.  It's typical (everywhere) to heckle the opposing team's server; but this went beyond the realm of heckling into the realm of hate.  The culprit was sitting in the student section, but was not a BYU student.

"On Saturday evening, BYU released another statement indicating that members of the athletic department spent “hours” investigating the incident, including reviewing video of the game and speaking with event management and security staff.  

The university said when Duke initially reported the behavior, “there was no individual pointed out” and no one was able to identify the suspected culprit until after the game was over.

I haven’t gone to a BYU game in 40 years. Have they gotten typically over the top?  I know there has been some problems at times with rivalries. I remember driving through Provo maybe 5 years ago on the way home from my mom’s who lived a couple of blocks north of the stadium before a game with Utah and a pickup full of fans in UofU shirts had its windows down and one guy sitting on the door at the stop screaming profanities at Provo in general. Fun times. 

I wonder what would have happened had the fellow been a Duke fan from Somalia ? Talk about being on the horns of a dilemma !

The n-word is a racial slur and should be avoided by all, not OK to use by just one race and put in songs and comedians performances. 

7 hours ago, blackstrap said:

I wonder what would have happened had the fellow been a Duke fan from Somalia ? Talk about being on the horns of a dilemma !

The n-word is a racial slur and should be avoided by all, not OK to use by just one race and put in songs and comedians performances. 

It is weird that it's only unacceptable when used by a white person towards a black person.  I guess it's the same when a non-member uses the slur "Mormon" with a member of the church.  Only members can use that word.  

But I'm glad BYU acted the way they did.  Duke still sucks!

11 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

If you've never attended a volleyball game in the Smith Fieldhouse, you're missing out; but this sort of thing is just so...disappointing. 

This sounds so outlandish and over the top to me (like the outrages one would expect to see in Mississippi during the early 1960s) that the two most likely scenarios are: 1) The guy who exhibited this insane, hateful behavior is a backwoods knuckle dragger with an I.Q. of 75. 2) Or this is going to turn out to be another racial hoax setup ala Jussie Smollett.

11 hours ago, blackstrap said:

Oh boy.

31 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

This sounds so outlandish and over the top to me (like the outrages one would expect to see in Mississippi during the early 1960s) that the two most likely scenarios are: 1) The guy who exhibited this insane, hateful behavior is a backwoods knuckle dragger with an I.Q. of 75. 2) Or this is going to turn out to be another racial hoax setup ala Jussie Smollett.

And a false flag insinuation.

3 hours ago, gopher said:

It is weird that it's only unacceptable when used by a white person towards a black person.  I guess it's the same when a non-member uses the slur "Mormon" with a member of the church.  Only members can use that word.  

Ugh.

23 hours ago, Calm said:

Sounds like BYU didn't have something in place to nip that in the bud, but for sure they will now I'm thinking.

22 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I'm rather shocked at the governor's wording, not as professional as I'm use to seeing come from the average governor. I love the guy though! And I feel just as outraged, just a little surprised he said a** holes, haha.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Sounds like BYU didn't have something in place to nip that in the bud, but for sure they will now I'm thinking.

I am not sure what they can do in a similar situation unless they hire personnel to sit in each of the sections or put listening mikes or whatever in order to be able to hear any issue themselves and not have to depend on others reporting.  Might not be a bad idea to have more personnel if behaviour is worsening at games. Knowing you will get kicked out of all games if caught and then seeing a security shirt in front or behind you would, I expect, cause you to think again about more extreme behaviour.  Before BYU security can do anything, they have to be aware of it.  I wonder if the jerk saw the increase of security once the Duke coaches let BYU security know it was happening and shut up so as not to get ejected, but once the game was over thought it was no big deal.

There are several stories out there.

1) I don't like slurs generally, so wouldn't use them myself.

2) That said, there is a distinction between a member of one race using a slur and a member of the "slurred" race using it. I come from a Jewish background. My best friend is an Indigenous Canadian. There are slurs used against both groups.

When non-members of that group, say, a white person who is a gentile, uses the slur, they are usually using it with hostility and to exert their superiority over the non-white person.

Many Jews, Indigenous people, Black people and others will sometimes use slurs that have been used against them in conversation with each other. It's a colloquial way of identifying with the shared history of oppression, trial, or difficulty among the group. It is also way of taking the words of those responsible for oppressing them (the Confederacy and other racist Americans, antisemitic European communities, etc.) and flipping them into a sort of honorific and form of recognition amongst fellow members of the group.

Put another way, a white person using the n-word is using it to exert their superiority or reduce the esteem of a black person. A black person using it with another black person is a way of exerting the commonality of their history and shared experiences as Black Americans. That doesn't make it non-vulgar, nor does it mean that a black person using it is doing some without some level of casualness. It just comes from a different place.

Like I said, it's not something I would do for a variety of reasons, but a Gentile calling me a "k**e" absolutely comes off to me differently than a Jewish person using it with me in casual conversation.

1 minute ago, halconero said:

1) I don't like slurs generally, so wouldn't use them myself.

2) That said, there is a distinction between a member of one race using a slur and a member of the "slurred" race using it. I come from a Jewish background. My best friend is an Indigenous Canadian. There are slurs used against both groups.

When non-members of that group, say, a white person who is a gentile, uses the slur, they are usually using it with hostility and to exert their superiority over the non-white person.

Many Jews, Indigenous people, Black people and others will sometimes use slurs that have been used against them in conversation with each other. It's a colloquial way of identifying with the shared history of oppression, trial, or difficulty among the group. It is also way of taking the words of those responsible for oppressing them (the Confederacy and other racist Americans, antisemitic European communities, etc.) and flipping them into a sort of honorific and form of recognition amongst fellow members of the group.

Put another way, a white person using the n-word is using it to exert their superiority or reduce the esteem of a black person. A black person using it with another black person is a way of exerting the commonality of their history and shared experiences as Black Americans. That doesn't make it non-vulgar, nor does it mean that a black person using it is doing some without some level of casualness. It just comes from a different place.

Like I said, it's not something I would do for a variety of reasons, but a Gentile calling me a "k**e" absolutely comes off to me differently than a Jewish person using it with me in casual conversation.

My son in law is from Aguascalientes Mexico and immigrated with his father, sister and brother right out of high school. He'll refer to himself as a wetback, and laugh. 

You nailed it on this explanation halconero! :)

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

My son in law is from Aguascalientes Mexico and immigrated with his father, sister and brother right out of high school. He'll refer to himself as a wetback, and laugh. 

You nailed it on this explanation halconero! :)

We had a Bishopric member use that term in his testimony. My spouse was doing the Spanish translation via headsets and edited it but was horrified. He was not necessarily trying to be derogatory but was too ignorant to know better. 

*I think it was the week he was called. Not a great way to start. 

Edited by bsjkki
On 8/27/2022 at 11:10 PM, bsjkki said:

Is something like this protected by the First amendment?  I mean, let’s say someone at the game heard him and punched him for saying it. Could the guy then sue the puncher?  Or have him arrested for assault?

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Is something like this protected by the First amendment?  I mean, let’s say someone at the game heard him and punched him for saying it. Could the guy then sue the puncher?  Or have him arrested for assault?

You can’t assault anyone. You would be arrested. This ‘speech’ is not protected at a event like this. You can be asked to stop/leave or get banned. If you refuse to comply, the person can get arrested. It’s a privately owned venue.