Seriously No Politics ×

Covid III: Delta Force

22 minutes ago, T-Shirt said:

I don't know how to embed a video, but check out the link, it is only 20 seconds

https://youtu.be/7c6sOd97V8s

Why were they recording that reaction?

In case you missed my subtle insinuation I am asking how staged that was. Also why were they so excited when a lot of them are clearly not wearing masks today? You can also see in several of the kid’s mannerisms that they are already fixated on the teacher so her calling that out was not an abrupt interruption and some of them are holding it in ready to start jumping around. Look at the body language. It would be cute if it wasn’t ridiculous propaganda.

I would have been the kid who screamed in excitement briefly and then got back to what I was doing on my tablet and realized I was supposed to still be excited so I screamed out again for a few seconds while clearly just focusing on the tablet.

My poor MIL, has been sick with Covid going on her second week. The retirement community she lives in won't let her be among the other residents, she's so lonely in her room. When we spoke with her on Sunday and asked if she went to church, because she hadn't answered her phone, we thought maybe they let her out of her room, she said she didn't know. Like she didn't know if she went to church? I wonder if Covid is making her have brain fog, because she kept saying she didn't know, on some other simple questions..she's 93. :(

Edited by Tacenda
9 minutes ago, pogi said:

Why?

based on people I have talked to (several school administrators, counselors,  Teachers and children), most of the discipline problems with the mask mandates happen in middle school and high school.  There is a certain subset of children in school who like to get attention by misbehaving.  These students like to test the boundaries.  These students figured out really quick that they can cause maximum disruption with minimal effort by messing with the mask rules.  (most of these students don't have a particular political agenda, just like to cause mischief. 

This creates discipline headaches.   They have even had to shut down some schools in my region over disciplinary problems at school. 

Talking to the elementary school teachers, one of the bigger headaches is that many children rely on facial expressions in their communication with others, making it more difficult to learn.

This is aside from the politics that come from the adults.   I was talking to a local school official the other day, who at his school, many of the teachers say they will walk out if the mask mandate in schools is lifted and other teachers say they will walk out if the mandate is not lifted. 

34 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Look at the body language. It would be cute if it wasn’t ridiculous propaganda.

Yeah, that is performing, lol.  Plus yelling at the top of their lungs and running around like monkeys without the teacher telling them it was okay….well, maybe school is different these days. 

There might have been kids who felt that way, maybe even all of them, but there is just too high of a proportion of quiet, unsure, or resistant kids in any class I have seen (been room mother or worked in classes helping out for 13, 14 years in elementary) to believe that was spontaneous. 

Edited by Calm
34 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My poor MIL, has been sick with Covid going on her second week. The retirement community she lives in won't let her be among the other residents, she's so lonely in her room. When we spoke with her on Sunday and asked if she went to church, because she hadn't answered her phone, we thought maybe they let her out of her room, she said she didn't know. Like she didn't know if she went to church? I wonder if Covid is making her have brain fog, because she kept saying she didn't know, on some other simple questions..she's 93. :(

Are people checking on her frequently?

I posted this earlier, but since the discussion has swung back to masks and children and schools, I thought I’d chime in again. My state, New Mexico, lifted the mask mandate last Thursday. I teach high school English: honors sophomores and regular juniors. My school has 1700 students. Last Friday was the first day without a mask mandate in school. I’d say 90% of the students were still wearing them. Today that number was probably down to 60%. 

22 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I posted this earlier, but since the discussion has swung back to masks and children and schools, I thought I’d chime in again. My state, New Mexico, lifted the mask mandate last Thursday. I teach high school English: honors sophomores and regular juniors. My school has 1700 students. Last Friday was the first day without a mask mandate in school. I’d say 90% of the students were still wearing them. Today that number was probably down to 60%. 

Do you think parents are pushing it or the kids themselves?

1 minute ago, Calm said:

Do you think parents are pushing it or the kids themselves?

I’d lean more towards the kids. I say that because if the kid didn’t want to wear a mask, and the parent said you had to, the kid would probably just wear the mask around their chin if at all. How would the parent know? (and I see a handful of kids in the hallways wearing masks around their chin)

The principal’s son is in one of my classes. She doesn’t wear a mask now, but the son does.

I imagine as more time goes by, fewer and fewer will wear masks. 

It is also worth noting that many service workers wish they could continue wearing masks. They find it weirdly liberating not to have to paste on a fake smile while dealing with the ridiculous demands of stupid customers. You can even stick your tongue out at them.

It also has lessened the frequency in which men try to badger women into smiling for them. We shouldn’t just focus on the negatives.

8 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It is also worth noting that many service workers wish they could continue wearing masks. They find it weirdly liberating not to have to paste on a fake smile while dealing with the ridiculous demands of stupid customers. You can even stick your tongue out at them.

It also has lessened the frequency in which men try to badger women into smiling for them. We shouldn’t just focus on the negatives.

When I was wearing a mask in public, I actually didn't mind it. I could leave my mouth wide open, burp, mouth words to my favorite song, and also monologue what was on my mind without others noticing... Blessings in disguise. ; )

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Why were they recording that reaction?

In case you missed my subtle insinuation I am asking how staged that was. Also why were they so excited when a lot of them are clearly not wearing masks today? You can also see in several of the kid’s mannerisms that they are already fixated on the teacher so her calling that out was not an abrupt interruption and some of them are holding it in ready to start jumping around. Look at the body language. It would be cute if it wasn’t ridiculous propaganda.

I would have been the kid who screamed in excitement briefly and then got back to what I was doing on my tablet and realized I was supposed to still be excited so I screamed out again for a few seconds while clearly just focusing on the tablet.

I am sure it was staged.  You like to throw out lots of, (what you think is), humor, but you don't recognize it when it comes from someone else.  Nevertheless, if you think kids don't mind, you're even more nuts than I thought.

14 hours ago, Calm said:

Masks are less about catching it and more about spreading it. There are plenty of adults in schools. I think one needs to look at the incidence of illness for teachers and their social contacts before saying there is no good reason.  How can we expect teachers and staff to continue teaching, etc if we demonstrate we don’t care about their safety?

Teachers can get the vaccine. And get boostered. No need to burden the children.  Do we trust the vaccine that President Nelson called a Godsend or not?

Edited by Rivers
10 minutes ago, T-Shirt said:

I am sure it was staged.  You like to throw out lots of, (what you think is), humor, but you don't recognize it when it comes from someone else.  Nevertheless, if you think kids don't mind, you're even more nuts than I thought.

So you were saying you put it out as a joke knowing in advance it was faked? While you were posting it as if it were proof? When you have a habit of following me around the board like a lost puppy and then trying to ‘defeat’ me every time?

Hmmmmmmmm……..

Yeah, gonna go with:

4fd.gif

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

So you were saying you put it out as a joke knowing in advance it was faked? While you were posting it as if it were proof? When you have a habit of following me around the board like a lost puppy and then trying to ‘defeat’ me 

You defeat yourself, you don't need my help.

Edited by T-Shirt
On 8/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Ipod Touch said:

I've wondered about this.  From what I understand, areas with strict mask mandates fared no better than areas with no or loose mandates.  

If masks work, why was there no difference in cases/deaths/transmission?

ETA: Comparing vaccine effectiveness vs. mask effectiveness.  It is so clear that vaccinated areas are doing much much better than low-vaccineated areas.  So if masks are so effective, why don't we see this same contrast?  My suspicion is that wearing a mask is like going through airport security.  It doesn't actually work but it makes everyone feel better for doing *something*.

The Bangladesh study showed that surgical masks did some good and that cloth masks were pretty much useless.  And that was in a low-vaccinated area.  Now that the vaccine has been available for a year, I feel masks are largely unnecessary.  Get the jab. Burn the mask.

13 hours ago, Rivers said:

Teachers can get the vaccine. And get boostered. No need to burden the children.  Do we trust the vaccine that President Nelson called a Godsend or not?

As a "Godsend", we should trust the vaccine enough to give it to our children.  Wasn't any more of a burden for my son than any of the other dozen mandated shots he gets in his youth (some of which diseases are much lower risk to children than Covid, BTW).  While kids are not likely to die and are less likely to have severe disease, they can still get pretty darn sick, many with long-term sequela.  Even if they wouldn't have died or been hospitalized without the jab, it the vaccine reduces their illness by a day or two, and reduces the severity to be more mild - the jab is worth it and less of a burden overall.  

Edited by pogi
1 hour ago, Rivers said:

Now that the vaccine has been available for a year, I feel masks are largely unnecessary.  Get the jab. Burn the mask.

A multipronged approach, especially during outbreaks and peak periods, is essential to reduce the burden of disease in the community.  Pretty much all public health experts agree.  It is good for our hospitals, its good for our health, its good for our economy.  Masks are good.  If trends keep continuing as they are, we may reach a point where masks are no longer indicated (I'd say below 5% positivity rate).  But we are not there yet. 

Edited by pogi
14 hours ago, Danzo said:

based on people I have talked to (several school administrators, counselors,  Teachers and children), most of the discipline problems with the mask mandates happen in middle school and high school.  There is a certain subset of children in school who like to get attention by misbehaving.  These students like to test the boundaries.  These students figured out really quick that they can cause maximum disruption with minimal effort by messing with the mask rules.  (most of these students don't have a particular political agenda, just like to cause mischief. 

This creates discipline headaches.   They have even had to shut down some schools in my region over disciplinary problems at school. 

Talking to the elementary school teachers, one of the bigger headaches is that many children rely on facial expressions in their communication with others, making it more difficult to learn.

This is aside from the politics that come from the adults.   I was talking to a local school official the other day, who at his school, many of the teachers say they will walk out if the mask mandate in schools is lifted and other teachers say they will walk out if the mandate is not lifted. 

Kids are really good at working the system.  I remember a student walk-out in Junior High that I participated in (and was on the news), I don't honestly remember what the cause was, and I didn't really care at the time either.  It was an excuse to skip class, and my participation was not an expression of my feelings on the cause some kids were protesting.  That's kids for ya, but it doesn't really address the fact that kids are highly influenced by their parents political beliefs.  With masks unfortunately becoming so political, it is no surprise that kids attitudes towards masks are largely influenced by their parents.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.15.22270948v1

CONCLUSIONS The fourth COVID-19 mRNA dose restores antibody titers to peak post-third dose titers. Low efficacy in preventing mild or asymptomatic Omicron infections and the infectious potential of breakthrough cases raise the urgency of next generation vaccine development.

32 minutes ago, pogi said:

A multipronged approach, especially during outbreaks and peak periods, is essential to reduce the burden of disease in the community.  Pretty much all public health experts agree.  It is good for our hospitals, its good for our health, its good for our economy.  Masks are good.  If trends keep continuing as they are, we may reach a point where masks are no longer indicated (I'd say below 5% positivity rate).  But we are not there yet. 

Ok. But if you’re going to wear a mask.  Wear one that really works. Not the cloth ones.  Unfortunately the ones that work the best are the least comfortable.  N95’s are very cumbersome, but they are the best.

Edited by Rivers
47 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Ok. But if you’re going to wear a mask.  Wear one that really works. Not the cloth ones.  Unfortunately the ones that work the best are the least comfortable.  N95’s are very cumbersome, but they are the best.

I'd concur with you in recommending the more effective masks.  I found an N95 mask at work that is very comfortable - the only one I can tolerate.  A good KN95 is probably the more comfortable and likely choice for the general public.  However, I will say that if all you have is a cloth mask on hand - wear it.  Not all cloth masks are created equal.  I have posted plenty of studies which evaluate the efficacy of different types of fabrics and layers, etc.  There are some that are actually quite effective, even more so than surgical masks.    

Edited by pogi