Jump to content

Ring out Wild Bells


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

I can't sing this again.

Need some R&B, hip hop, phat beat to get this hymn out of my mind and a new version installed

 

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I love that song! :lol:

I hate to burst your bubble, New-Killer, but I'm with Bluebell: I do, too.  It's, like, written in a minor key, which is something that isn't common for our Hymns. ;)

  • Like 3
Link to post
2 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

You people are such music teases.  How about a link?

Do you have the Hymns app on your phone?  You can listen to it there.  I think it's number 311 or somewhere close to that.

Edit to add I was way off. It’s #215. 

Edited by bluebell
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
5 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

You people are such music teases.  How about a link?

I quickly looked for it last night - I was trying to find one in hip hop or r&b for fun but the same tune. 😁  None of the versions in the few moments I searched used the same tune - even the MoTab one.  So disappointed. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
15 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

I can't sing this again.

Need some R&B, hip hop, phat beat to get this hymn out of my mind and a new version installed

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 11/18/2020 at 6:49 PM, nuclearfuels said:

I can't sing this again.

Need some R&B, hip hop, phat beat to get this hymn out of my mind and a new version installed

100% with Nuclearfuels on this ... easily the most hideous song in the hymnbook. Depressing lyrics. Downer minor key that cannot be redeemed by the Picardy third on the last chord. Yuck! Only antidote to bad choral music is good instrumental music (though you probably won't hear this in any church setting, it'll for sure get "Bells" out of your head).

Edited by Derl Sanderson
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Derl Sanderson said:

100% with Nuclearfuels on this ... easily the most hideous song in the hymnbook. Depressing lyrics. Downer minor key that cannot be redeemed by the Picardy third on the last chord. Yuck! Only antidote to bad choral music is good instrumental music (though you probably won't hear this in any church setting, it'll for sure get "Bells" out of your head).

Nothing inherently wrong with or “downer” about a minor key. 

Link to post
On 11/19/2020 at 8:08 AM, LoudmouthMormon said:

You people are such music teases.  How about a link?

I’m pleased to introduce you to a very useful feature of our Church hymnal, called “Index of Titles and First Lines.” Available in both print and digital editions, it provides instant access to hymn numbers by titles, which are listed alphabetically. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Link to post

Truth be told, I think some of our hymns suffer from the problem opposite the one posited by Derl Sanderson: It's not because the tune is too melancholy that, often, it doesn't match the text, but, rather, because it is too ... perky-perky-perky!!! ... Everything is fine-and-dandy, and hunky dory, and perky-perky-perky!!! ... :rolleyes:  Yes, there's sadness and distress and heartbreak in the world, but, be perky-perky-perky!!!  Christ hasn't overcome the world because he denies all of the "bad" stuff, all of the ways in which life is less than ideal ... He has experienced all of those things in ways that make the experiences even those of us who have, it seems, experienced more than our share of them pale by comparison.

I'm reminded of the following semi-whimsical bit of verse delivered from the pulpit by a former ecclesiastical leader of mine:
 

Quote

 

If you see the silver lining in every cloud of gray,

If you're always smiling 'cause your face just froze that way,

If you're always happy amidst the crowds so blue ...

... Then have your head examined, Bud, there's something wrong with you!

 

;):D

Ain't nothin' wrong with minor keys, and contemplative tunes and texts ...  More often than not, such is the very stuff of life.

My $0.02, actual value much less.  I'm sure your mileage varies.

  • Like 2
Link to post

I've never heard the song. Maybe it's more popular out west than here in Indiana.

I looked at the lyrics and was struck by "the year is dying in the night" 

I think a lot of people are looking forward to being done with this year! Perhaps, that is why it is being chosen to sing

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, Prof said:

I've never heard the song. Maybe it's more popular out west than here in Indiana.

I looked at the lyrics and was struck by "the year is dying in the night"

I think a lot of people are looking forward to being done with this year! Perhaps, that is why it is being chosen to sing [Emphasis added by Kenngo1969.]

Amen to that, Brother!  Amen to that!!! :rolleyes:

P.S.:  What are you a "Prof" of, and where?  If you don't want to share the In-Real-Life information here (or at all), I understand, but feel free to reach out to me at Ken(dot)Gourdin(at)gmail.com.

P.P.S.: Wikipedia has some very interesting background on the song, including a brief mention of its use by Latter-day Saints.  It gives one a good idea of why the song isn't exactly "Perky-perky-perky!" :rolleyes:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_Out,_Wild_Bells

P.P.P.S: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/music/library/hymns/ring-out-wild-bells?lang=eng

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to post
5 hours ago, Prof said:

I've never heard the song. Maybe it's more popular out west than here in Indiana.

I looked at the lyrics and was struck by "the year is dying in the night" 

I think a lot of people are looking forward to being done with this year! Perhaps, that is why it is being chosen to sing

For the first time in my life, I have ordered next year’s calendars before Halloween. Usually it is the last week or two in December through February.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
10 hours ago, Prof said:

I've never heard the song. Maybe it's more popular out west than here in Indiana.

I looked at the lyrics and was struck by "the year is dying in the night" 

I think a lot of people are looking forward to being done with this year! Perhaps, that is why it is being chosen to sing

No, it’s not more popular here. It is rarely sung, even at New Year’s. 

Link to post
On 11/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, Derl Sanderson said:

easily the most hideous song in the hymnbook. Depressing lyrics. Downer minor key that cannot be redeemed by the Picardy third on the last chord. Yuck! Only antidote to bad choral music is good instrumental music (though you probably won't hear this in any church setting, it'll for sure get "Bells" out of your head).

100%

Link to post
20 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Perhaps there are reasons not many hymns are written in this way?

Yeah.  We're all snowflakes who melt at the first hint of a wisp of an idea that life is (or that it should be) anything other than easy, hunky-dory, fine-and-dandy!!! :D :rofl: :D As Sheri Dew put it so aptly, "If life were easy, it wouldn't be hard!" ;)

Link to post

My wife was the ward chorister for six years, so I sent her a link to this thread for her amusement.  Her comments are as follows: 

"There aren't many choices for 'New Year's' themed hymns, so we end up using this one despite our reservations. But the hymn itself isn't the problem. It has wonderful words, taken directly from a Tennyson poem, and the harmonies are actually quite beautiful. The problem is that it's too difficult for most congregations to sing. The timing is unusual and no one is familiar enough with the hymn to sing the harmonies correctly. Since it's in a minor key, the congregation doesn't anticipate the correct notes very well. You get a great deal of off pitch singing and mistimed notes. The organist is generally unfamiliar with the hymn as well, so it's often played too slowly. The combination of problems can make it sound pretty bad. But the hymn itself... Here, listen to it and concentrate on the words." 

This is the link she found:

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
6 hours ago, InCognitus said:

My wife was the ward chorister for six years, so I sent her a link to this thread for her amusement.  Her comments are as follows: 

"There aren't many choices for 'New Year's' themed hymns, so we end up using this one despite our reservations. But the hymn itself isn't the problem. It has wonderful words, taken directly from a Tennyson poem, and the harmonies are actually quite beautiful. The problem is that it's too difficult for most congregations to sing. The timing is unusual and no one is familiar enough with the hymn to sing the harmonies correctly. Since it's in a minor key, the congregation doesn't anticipate the correct notes very well. You get a great deal of off pitch singing and mistimed notes. The organist is generally unfamiliar with the hymn as well, so it's often played too slowly. The combination of problems can make it sound pretty bad. But the hymn itself... Here, listen to it and concentrate on the words." 

This is the link she found:

 

Hmm. 
 

The time signature is 6/8, not as common as the pervasive 4/4 and 3/4, but not all that unusual either. “Master, the Tempest Is Raging,” “Love One Another” and “Ill Go Where You Want Me to Go” are all written in 6/8 time, and we don’t seem to have much trouble with them. “Silent Night” has an even less common time signature, 6/4, and it is arguably the most popular hymn/carol of time. 
 

The other comments could apply to virtually any hymn in our hymnal that we don’t sing very often. We find them difficult because, well, we don’t sing them very often. For years I have advocated having congregations sing some of the more unsung (a word I use advisedly) selections so we can get used to them, but there is much resistance to this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, Sandra Day OTanner said:

I think the old Catholic Church was right about minor keys being (dis)harmony of the Devil.

Whatever might be your opinion of minor keys, they are not disharmony. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...