Lawsuit Accusing Relatives of Lds Church President of Sexually Abusing Children Dismissed

Not sure if this ever got discussed here, but since it was such a big discussion back in 2018, I wanted to make sure everyone saw how this turned out.

The plaintiffs dropped the suit, their attorney Craig Vernon told the station, after a recent Utah Supreme Court ruling “eviscerated” their case. That decision deemed that a new state law removing the statute of limitations in civil suits alleging sexual abuse could not be applied retroactively.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, cinepro said:

Not sure if this ever got discussed here, but since it was such a big discussion back in 2018, I wanted to make sure everyone saw how this turned out.

Good to see you again. Missed you posting. 

I'm glad that it was dismissed, but I would have liked to see it dismissed for lack of merit rather than on procedural grounds.  In any case, as regards the Mileses, all's well that ends well, I suppose.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Ahab said:

How nice of you to bring this up again.  I'm glad the case was eviscerated.

While it's great that it was dismissed, I am disappointed that it wasn't dismissed based on the merit (or lack thereof) of the accusation.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, cinepro said:

While it's great that it was dismissed, I am disappointed that it wasn't dismissed based on the merit (or lack thereof) of the accusation.

That was weird. Did you and Ken coordinate your answers?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Calm said:

That was weird. Did you and Ken coordinate your answers?

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

That was odd!! 

I don’t think it weird that they would independently arrive at and voice the same sentiment. And there aren’t too many different ways to express it. 

I have a similar feeling regarding the Masterpiece Bake Shop case that came before SCOTUS. I’m glad the baker prevailed in that case, but I wish it had been on merit rather than procedural grounds. 

• Like 2

It wasn’t weird they thought that way, it was the deja vu, something glitched experience. It took me a few seconds to register what had happened. 

12 hours ago, cinepro said:

I would hope that is could be dismissed based on the lack of merit of the accusations. I'm not sure how I feel about the statutes not applying for such serious crimes.

1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

I would hope that is could be dismissed based on the lack of merit of the accusations. I'm not sure how I feel about the statutes not applying for such serious crimes.

13 hours ago, cinepro said:

16 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm glad that it was dismissed, but I would have liked to see it dismissed for lack of merit rather than on procedural grounds.  In any case, as regards the Mileses, all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Was the case at a point where "merit" could be considered?  

7 minutes ago, provoman said:

Good question. 

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I don’t think it weird that they would independently arrive at and voice the same sentiment. And there aren’t too many different ways to express it. 

I have a similar feeling regarding the Masterpiece Bake Shop case that came before SCOTUS. I’m glad the baker prevailed in that case, but I wish it had been on merit rather than procedural grounds. 

It was odd for another reason as well. I took a double take because in my mind I'd thought that Ken said it not Cinepro. Thinking my mind tricked me. 

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, provoman said:

Hmmm.  I don't know.  Good question.  To get a real answer, you'd need to consult a lawyer, which, of course, I am not.  The parties are not supposed to wait for a request for discovery from an opponent before disclosing, at least broadly, what evidence they have (or expect to have) to support their claims.  (See Utah Rule of Civil Procedure 26.) 

Dropping the suit is technically an admission the suit has no merit.  Craig Vernon can issue a public statement dressing up the pig, but the law is what it is.

Edited by Bob Crockett
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I took a double take because in my mind I'd thought that Ken said it not Cinepro.....

Exactly...but it wasn’t quite what I remembered and yet no edit and why edit anyway...than looking closer and seeing ken’s name on the first post and not yet realizing there were two because of the way I was scrolling on the phone I only saw one post at a time and then going back again and seeing that they had both said the same thing.  It was an odd disorientation for a moment. Surreal. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Bob Crockett said:

Dropping the suit is technically an admission the suit has no merit.  Craig Vernon can issue a public statement dressing up the pig, but the law is what it is.

I'm loath to disagree with you Counselor.  I'm full well aware that you have forgotten more about the law than I'll ever know, and, for that reason (among others), certainly, you have my respect.  Dropping this suit may be a tacit admission that it lacks merit, but there are myriad reasons why a Plaintiff might choose to not go forward with litigation that have nothing to do with the merits of the case.  Surely, you know far better than I do how expensive, time-consuming, and resource-intensive litigation can be.  Surely, you know that the strategy of some parties (particularly where there is a tremendous power imbalance between opposing parties) is simply to grind down the will of their opponents using various tactics to ensure that the case never gets to trial, completely irrespective of the merits.

P.S.: And, thinking of at least one other erstwhile client that Mr. Vernon has had (while this was a case of him withdrawing and not a case of her declining to go forward), sometimes, an attorney's client is simply too Looney Tunes :crazy: for the attorney to do his job effectively.

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 1
Just now, Calm said:

Exactly...but it wasn’t quite what I remembered and yet no edit and why edit anyway...than looking closer and seeing cinepro’s name and going back and seeing that they had both said the same thing.  It was an odd disorientation for a moment. Surreal. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

Dropping the suit is technically an admission the suit has no merit.

How could the suit go ahead even with the statute of limitations still in place due to the ruling?

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, cinepro said:

I don't think this is fair, exactly!  We both said the same thing, but your comment, thanks to the fact that I repped it, has more rep points than mine does! :unknw::huh:  What's up with that!? :angry::aggressive:  Should I retract my rep point?!  :D:rofl::D  

:friends:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't think this is fair, exactly!  We both said the same thing, but your comment, thanks to the fact that I repped it, has more rep points than mine does! :unknw::huh:  What's up with that!? :angry::aggressive:  Should I retract my rep point?!  :D:rofl::D  

The world should be balanced....in this one thing at least.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Should I retract my rep point?! 

That would give balance, but it would also imply that you didn't like your own comment.  It is a real conundrum! 

• Like 2

I took away a point from cine for this post for causing my existential crisis. 

went and gave him another elsewhere to balance that part of the universe. :P 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Sometimes the remake is just better than the original...

• Like 3