Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Love the gospel, not the church


Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, there is a difference in "the church" and "going to meetings/church".  I was going to talk about how I think the Church is more true than the gospel! ha ha

But that is a very different discussion than the experience of attending meetings.

I normally only attend Sacrament Meeting.  Since I raised a bunch of kids, I'm used to not getting anything out of it, and now that most of the kidlets are grown, I guess it doesn't bother me.  I think most of our testimony givers keep on track.  I sometimes attend Relief Society (bawl fest, sigh), and I haven't attended Sunday School for quite some time.  I do attend choir practice after the block.

Sometimes I go home.  But quite often, I sit in the lobby.  (My children would be in class.)  I have had so many amazing connections by sitting in the lobby.

I don't go to church to learn anything, feel the Spirit, or etc etc.  It's a lost cause and I'm pretty sure it's all my fault lol.

 The reason I go is to minister.  I hug all my people I hug; say hi to all my people I say hi to; have longer conversations with a few; sometimes give goodies; make notes on what I heard in church or what I saw in church, so that I know who and what to minister that week.  It's so fun!!  And it would be so much harder if I didn't have all those people together in one room, once a week, for me to scan and see what I can do.

Posted
11 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

Had a rough Sunday yesterday. I kid you not that a grown woman bore testimony in sacrament meeting that God saved her hamster’s life.  Another brother spoke for 20 minutes about the Cuban missile crisis and how it related to his foot that just got amputated.

I love the gospel I have been taught.  I think Mormonism is closer to the truth than anything I’ve come across so far.  But, I really don’t like coming to church.

What do people do who feel similarly (if anyone)?  My mood sinks on Sunday mornings, and I’m resenting the church more and more even though the gospel that has been restored so far is beautiful to me.

 

SoMo...

Your bishop needs to give guidance on what F&T meetings are to be... Ours had become questionable with the travelmonies, people whispering in children's ears, etc etc.  So our bishop reigned all that in and emphasized Christ-centered testimonies... and that changed the tone and feel of our meetings... 

I, too, love the gospel... I happen to be in a good ward with wise leadership... helps everyone to keep focused on the Savior particularly... makes Church enjoyable and uplifting....

So I join others here in encouraging you to be patient... is it possible for you to meet with your bishop to express your feelings?   At any rate, good luck... I encourage you to continue to attend and try to love your brothers and sisters, flaws and all...

GG

Posted
12 hours ago, Ouagadougou said:

For me personally, failing to attend fast and testimony meetings has been, in many ways, the best method to remedy such feelings or "mood sinks."

Isn't attending church just once a month still considered "active?"  😀

Technically it's once per quarter, though I don't know anyone who would actually consider that active ;) 

Posted
14 hours ago, The Nehor said:

But what if their stories are dull and ignorant too?

At my age, I prefer that my stories are dull. 

You may have heard of the Dos Equis most interesting man in the universe? I am the least interesting man in the universe. And I think that is a good thing🙂

Posted
1 minute ago, Prof said:

At my age, I prefer that my stories are dull. 

You may have heard of the Dos Equis most interesting man in the universe? I am the least interesting man in the universe. And I think that is a good thing🙂

Now I am more afraid of getting older. :( 

Posted
18 hours ago, cinepro said:

I've never understood people that complain about weird talks, testimonies, lessons or comments in class. 

I love it when things get weird.  As long as it's not happening too much, of course. Or when I was on my mission and an investigator had come.

Wife and I hadn't attended Church for a long time when we got a new niece and a baby blessing came.  We went and sat in boredom until the crazy lady from their ward got up.  I was nearly compelled to head on back to church as the lady condemned everyone in the ward, city, county they lived in, state, country and the world.  I felt for a moment I was witnessing the modern story of Abinadi, as everyone seemed to hate on this lady.  My in-laws told me she is the crazy lady who always takes time to offer her condemnations.  They in fact told us it was coming before that day.  But as she passionately condemned I was being convicted, ready to run off into the woods and carry on her legacy after her burning ceremony.  I came to my senses and realized she was just some crazy lady, perhaps like Abinadi was crazy, if he really ever was.  She was really living in the past, with ETB, McConkie, JSF, you know, that crew.  My son was as astounded as I.  he sat wondering if the blatant racism was coming back, a particularly touchy subject for him.  It really broke up the boredom though, and I was reminded of the great virtue of Mormonism--the breeding of crazy nonsense, piercing the humdrum that most seem to feed off of, the very humdrum I grew to eschew.   

Posted
18 hours ago, Calm said:

 

I find I resent myself more than others when feeling this way. I don’t like resenting myself. I try to avoid those situations. With church, it was learning how to look st it differently. Expect different things.   Works most of the time. Of course, it probably helps health keeps me out of church a lot so when I go I am more grateful from the start. 

I know.  It was only recently that I found out that my ward has had the 9 a.m. slot, which at least enables me to go to Sacrament Meeting.  I'm sure that, if I let them, things which could annoy me have happened in the meetings I've attended, but I haven't noticed.  I'm not focused on Bonkers Brother Baker or Silly Sister Smith.  With apologies, since this sounds selfish, it's not about them: It's about me and about my personal relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. 

Yes, I know that annoying and bizarre things can and do happen at Church.  I know that often, some ... Ahem! ... interesting ... specimens are caught in a gospel net that snares all kinds.  I certainly could become annoyed, and I might even have good cause to do so.  But offense (and similar sentiments, such as annoyance) are curious things: They're far more often easily taken than they are purposefully given.  I can't control what Brother Baker and Sister Smith do.

I once read a quote that even when people do horrible things, they're simply trying in unskillful ways to make their lives work.  (I can't find it.)  If I can cut even someone who does horrible things at least a little bit of slack, then why can't I do the same for someone who does merely annoying things? 

Posted (edited)

I gave up a long time ago trying to ensure the correct gospel was taught.  I just sit back and watch the show now.  A change in attitude and vision of the church has helped me cope.

Edited by 2BizE
Posted
On 11/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, SouthernMo said:

Had a rough Sunday yesterday. I kid you not that a grown woman bore testimony in sacrament meeting that God saved her hamster’s life.  Another brother spoke for 20 minutes about the Cuban missile crisis and how it related to his foot that just got amputated.

In Sunday school, the instructor quoted the August 2001 Ensign (page 22):

“The Prophet Jospeph Smith taught, 'Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed.”

He taught that all ordinances are covenants.  Hard to go to a class where so much untrue is taught.

I love the gospel I have been taught.  I think Mormonism is closer to the truth than anything I’ve come across so far.  But, I really don’t like coming to church.

What do people do who feel similarly (if anyone)?  My mood sinks on Sunday mornings, and I’m resenting the church more and more even though the gospel that has been restored so far is beautiful to me.

 

This is why I like being in the nursery 🙂

Posted
On 11/5/2018 at 3:35 PM, SouthernMo said:

Had a rough Sunday yesterday. I kid you not that a grown woman bore testimony in sacrament meeting that God saved her hamster’s life.  Another brother spoke for 20 minutes about the Cuban missile crisis and how it related to his foot that just got amputated.

In Sunday school, the instructor quoted the August 2001 Ensign (page 22):

“The Prophet Jospeph Smith taught, 'Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed.”

He taught that all ordinances are covenants.  Hard to go to a class where so much untrue is taught.

I love the gospel I have been taught.  I think Mormonism is closer to the truth than anything I’ve come across so far.  But, I really don’t like coming to church.

What do people do who feel similarly (if anyone)?  My mood sinks on Sunday mornings, and I’m resenting the church more and more even though the gospel that has been restored so far is beautiful to me.

 

I attended an LDS congregation in my stake whose members primarily spoke a language other than English. It was beautiful to see their faith, determination, and in truth, a distilled list of programs, events, auxiliaries, etc.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...