Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Results: 10 day social media fast


Recommended Posts

Posted
15 hours ago, Veggie juicer said:

I think as a human race there are many people who feel safer in the zone of black and white thinking.  Religion is attractive to such people because it offers structure for that paradigm. 

In truth,  it's much harder to think for and regulate ones self.  

We love to be told what and what not to do.  If culturally it becomes a rule that we not use social media I will be very disappointed.  But not surprised. 

I would argue that if you think everything is clear cut once you accept the gospel you are still working through the fundamentals and it is okay to be there . The real challenges come later when you are clawing your way up further and need revelation and new commandments and those terrifying experiences where you pray for the correct course of action and you get the distinct answer that God wants you to figure the situation out on your own.

Posted
16 hours ago, bsjkki said:

So,..one of my husbands past complaints about his High Priest Quorum lessons,  is that they would frequently devolve into a rant about technology and millennials.  http://mentalfloss.com/article/52209/15-historical-complaints-about-young-people-ruining-everything

7. "A Mere Amusement of a Very Inferior Character"

In its July 1859 issue, Scientific American rallied against a wicked game that made both the mind and body weaker—chess:

A pernicious excitement to learn and play chess has spread all over the country, and numerous clubs for practicing this game have been formed in cities and villages...chess is a mere amusement of a very inferior character, which robs the mind of valuable time that might be devoted to nobler acquirements, while it affords no benefit whatever to the body. Chess has acquired a high reputation as being a means to discipline the mind, but persons engaged in sedentary occupations should never practice this cheerless game; they require out-door exercises--not this sort of mental gladiatorship.

13. "A Progeny Yet More Corrupt"

In Book III of Odes, circa 20 BC, Horace wrote:

Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.

They were not entirely wrong.

2823253-Paul-Morphy-Quote-The-ability-to

I feel the same way about olympians and other athletes. Focusing a huge portion of your life towards competing to be the best at an activity that does not have a ton of value. I get the entertainment value and the health benefits but are these things worth living for?

Posted
On 10/18/2018 at 1:15 PM, bsjkki said:

Facebook is now a major communication tool. It was very hard to advertise ward activities, a last minute baptism and for the sisters to ask each other for help or wish each other Happy Birthday. I know there are others ways to do  this but Facebook is not just "social media" it is now like using the phone or email. It makes all of these things easier.

   I guess people see things differently: Facebook is NOT like using the phone or email to many of us. To me its nothing but a waste of time.

Posted
3 hours ago, mnn727 said:

   I guess people see things differently: Facebook is NOT like using the phone or email to many of us. To me its nothing but a waste of time.

I see Facebook groups as useful to get news out about activities and opportunities.

It can also be used to distribute photos to the grandparents and other relatives and worthwhile things of that nature.

Then there is the other 99% made up of garbage political memes, angry rants, social oneupmanship, pointless arguments, and facile self-justification. You just have to avoid that part.

Posted
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I see Facebook groups as useful to get news out about activities and opportunities.

It can also be used to distribute photos to the grandparents and other relatives and worthwhile things of that nature.

Then there is the other 99% made up of garbage political memes, angry rants, social oneupmanship, pointless arguments, and facile self-justification. You just have to avoid that part.

Yep!

Posted (edited)

I just finished mine today. I decided to rid myself of the news and news-oriented comedy, as well as this website and FB. FB, not from necessity (I'm not on it a lot to begin with) but just a "might as well" attitude and just in case it became my next time-filler. I wanted to make sure I had a reason and goal in mind to doing my fast and that my fast made sense for me...thus the pause before starting. My main goal was simple, I'm short on time that I can be active nowadays and I wanted to utilize what I did have as much as possible. 

It was a good experience. Though I still had to spend a lot of down time just resting, there was less that took me away from the sleep I needed. And when I was awake I got more done around the house that I hadn't had time for. I also read a book that I've had on kindle forever, saw some friends, caught up on paperwork, and started a new art project. I didn't feel much a difference socially....then again, my closest friends are largely not social media related. I'm planning as a take away to drastically reduce my time with news catch up, especially. My time is still limited and what I was often doing was reading about the exact same events from differing sources....or deep diving way too much. I could get a quick rundown and limite my deep dives to issues or topics that REALLY interest me an have more time to explore other hobbies and aspects to my life that hold more meaning. 

Anecdotally from some people who talked to me about their experiences over the last 10 days, their's was either neutral or positive.  Most of the ones I've talked to though were generally younger (20's-30's). Ironically because they were off social media, they often caught up on the news and felt more informed about what's going on (among other things that they found useful/beneficial). 

 

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams
Posted
On 10/21/2018 at 12:23 AM, The Nehor said:

They were not entirely wrong.

2823253-Paul-Morphy-Quote-The-ability-to

I feel the same way about olympians and other athletes. Focusing a huge portion of your life towards competing to be the best at an activity that does not have a ton of value. I get the entertainment value and the health benefits but are these things worth living for?

I think someone who is driven in such a way to find the apex of their ability in a single aspect of their life is absolutely remarkable.  I'm lying in bed right now checking the boxes of my cell routine thinking I could take a page from that kind of drive.  To each his own. 

 

Posted

I really felt no different. After thinking about it for a few days I figured out why.

So my fast included this board and the other board I am on, facebook and instagram - sort of. I started thinking about the voices of good women, sharing faith after conference who wouldn't have an Internet presence and decided that while I wouldn't be reading, I would continue to post things that were good by instagram, which were shared to facebook. I posted 2 pictures of beautiful sunsets with conference quotes and a post of gratitude for my father-in-law.

The first few days I was at home. The last 6 I was in Utah. Two days visiting my parents and the rest helping clean out my father-in-law's home because he is in assisted living and there are problems with his house sitting empty.

So why didn't I feel a change?  When I first started getting on the internet I was a SAHM. While occasionally we had play groups the days were long on talking with children and short on talking with adults. I could call a friend, but often that friend might be dealing with a screaming toddler or in the middle of story time.  Schedules do not always match up. 

Later, as my husband started to travel for work, sometimes with no phone access then things were even lonlier.

As my children got in to their teens then I had more flexible time, but most moms I knew went back to work. I turned to the 80 year women in our ward and that was awesome sometimes, but many of them felt I was too young for them.

Social media filled the gaps for me. It gave me a way to socialize. It increased my friendships. It allowed me to easily connect with people who had my interests. Over the years I have met many more than 100 people. One of those, from this board, but I knew her from another one, will visit me for the second time for a few days and she also took my husband in when he visited where she lives.  So even my very introverted husband is benefited through social media and he really enjoyed his time with her and her husband.

So I didn't miss the socializing during the fast because instead of being alone I was with my parents and in-laws. 

 

Posted
On 10/21/2018 at 1:23 AM, The Nehor said:

They were not entirely wrong.

2823253-Paul-Morphy-Quote-The-ability-to

I feel the same way about olympians and other athletes. Focusing a huge portion of your life towards competing to be the best at an activity that does not have a ton of value. I get the entertainment value and the health benefits but are these things worth living for?

Some activities may not have value for you, but they may have value for others.

Posted
2 hours ago, Thinking said:

Some activities may not have value for you, but they may have value for others.

True, but I am not convinced they are worth living for. They are a great spice to life but it seems almost like idolatry to me to make them your primary focus.

Posted
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

True, but I am not convinced they are worth living for. They are a great spice to life but it seems almost like idolatry to me to make them your primary focus.

Thank goodness you don't have those skills you have to sacrifice in order to be righteous. 

 

Posted
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

True, but I am not convinced they are worth living for. They are a great spice to life but it seems almost like idolatry to me to make them your primary focus.

Wise words.  But they could be applied to anything, such as religion for instance.

Posted
3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

True, but I am not convinced they are worth living for. They are a great spice to life but it seems almost like idolatry to me to make them your primary focus.

In your original post you only referenced sports. Do you feel the same way about other types of entertainment?

Posted
2 hours ago, sunstoned said:

Wise words.  But they could be applied to anything, such as religion for instance.

I would argue that God is worth living for. Whether that encompasses religion depends on what definition of the word you are using.

Posted
3 hours ago, Veggie juicer said:

Thank goodness you don't have those skills you have to sacrifice in order to be righteous. 

 

Yeah, it is definitely all sour grapes here. 

Posted

I admit I am addicted to Youtube. The whole thing went down the other day and I started to twitch. That's a bad sign isn't it? There are videos on Youtube of people doing absolutely unbelievable feats of physical prowess. I imagine it takes thousands of hours of practice to do so. Of course , spending countless hours learning how to do brain surgery or rocket science may have more value to society than learning how to do tricks on a skateboard, but whatever floats your boat.

Posted

Upon reflection I am reacting more to the process than the content.  I think we would ALL do well to examine our waste and adjust.  Looking critically at others waste is itself, wasteful.  I waste a lot of time on plenty, not the least, this forum. We could all do better.  

I think the exercise of the fast gave many people an opportunity to be mindful of our own waste.  

Posted
Just now, Veggie juicer said:

Upon reflection I am reacting more to the process than the content.  I think we would ALL do well to examine our waste and adjust.  Looking critically at others waste is itself, wasteful.  I waste a lot of time on plenty, not the least, this forum. We could all do better.  

I think the exercise of the fast gave many people an opportunity to be mindful of our own waste.  

Sorry, to clarify: this is in response to my reaction to Nehors judgement of excellence in areas like Olympic athleticism. 

May I spend less time here so that I never actually figure out the option of editing my posts, I pray. 

Posted (edited)

25 posts gives editing rights...sorry if this means you feel the need to never post again.  You should at least give yourself 7 more posts as you won't be able to tell if I am right until then.

Edited by Calm
  • 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

http://www.ldsliving.com/Watch-Best-selling-Author-s-Findings-from-a-Survey-about-the-10-day-Social-Media-Fast-May-Surprise-You/s/90850

Quote

In a TEDx Talk given at BYU on May 4, Blankson revealed the final results of her survey which garnered over 2000 responses.

  • 82% of women did not want to participate in the fast and only did so to follow the prophet or to alleviate guilt.
  • 60% felt more productive
  • 40% reported better sleep
  • 13% reported less back/ neck pain
  • 14% exercised more
  • 45% reported an increased focus
  • 41% reported being more at peace
  • 41% were happier
  • 55% were more present with friends and family

In a previous LDS Living article, Blankson said, “We often hear that unplugging feels good, but what does it actually do for your mind, body, and spirit? This survey is an incredible opportunity to hear from thousands of women about their experiences.”

More about the survey and how Blankson got involved:

http://www.ldsliving.com/How-a-Social-Media-Addict-and-Happiness-Expert-Are-Responding-to-President-Nelson-s-Challenge/s/89738

There may be a self selected issue as perhaps only women who felt dramatic changes cared enough to respond to the survey call.

Edited by Calm
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...