CV75 Posted March 19, 2017 Posted March 19, 2017 (edited) 7 hours ago, Meadowchik said: Or, the situation is this: Human beings create a musical that generates both sympathy and humour over the ridiculousness of Mormonism. Or, the situation is this: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/south-park-creators-defend-musical-book-mormon/story?id=13214753 “Although it was written to poke fun at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Stone reiterated that the "Book of Mormon" was not meant to just mock Mormonism, but religion in general, calling his show, "an atheist's love letter to religion." "Anybody's religion, to an outsider, it's just as goofy," he said. "I don't think either of us think Mormonism is any goofy-ier than Hinduism or Christianity, from an outsider's point of view." In other words, this is an example of how love is expressed without a god: “Outsiders and them.” “They’re goofy but we’ll poke fun rather than fight.” “We’ll create our own kind happiness and optimism through the universal language of mockery, music and laughing at others.” I don't see the situation so specific to Mormonism, but the Church certainly took advantage of an opportunity in her customarily happy and optimistic way! Edited March 19, 2017 by CV75 2
MormonVideoGame Posted March 19, 2017 Posted March 19, 2017 1 hour ago, Calm said: Unfortunately at least one reported joining has since left last I heard. I didn't know that, thanks for the honesty.
Bernard Gui Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) On March 18, 2017 at 6:43 PM, bcuzbcuz said: My wife went with a group of work collegues to see the musical "The Book of Mormon" on Friday night. It was their Ladies Night out and the musical had them in laughter for the whole show. To anyone who hasn't seen the musical, it is about a missionary in Africa who, when confronted with difficult questions and issues from contacts, just makes stuff up. His advice for men with aids is hilarious but disturbing. His partners attempts to convert a local war lard and the ensuing x-ray had the audience in stitches. Trey Parker and Matt Stone of "South Park" fame are the writers of the musical, which explains some of the raw moments. The part that neither my wife nor I understand is that, following the play, positioned outside all the exit doors, were groups of missionaries, each wearing the identifying name tags, handing out Books of Mormon to any and all who would accept them. A sort of "now that you've seen the musical, why not read the real book?". To understand the ludicrous in the missionary's actions is to understand the juxtaposition the musical has to the Mormon beliefs. The musical offers entertainment value of having a good belly laugh, but the not so hidden message is that this missionary, the one who just makes stuff up, is no different from Joseph Smith, who was exceedingly creative to make up all the Mormon "stuff". My wife observed a young couple travelling home on the same bus, late on this Friday night, regailing themselves in laughter by flipping open to pages in their free copy of the BofM and reading a passage. They would read a lline or two and then laugh out loud. So I repeat my question. Just what does the church hope to gain from spending time and effort in handing out the Book of Mormon at a theater play that has absolutely no connection to anything Mormon? Quite the contrary, the musical laughs repeatedly at the church. Having been on the production side (orchestra member and orchestra director) of aquite a few musicals, I would like to express an unapologetic condemnation of this piece of puerile pop culture offal masquerading as entertainment. Why anyone would spend big bucks to hear this kind of basura I beyond my comprehension. It is irrefutable evidence of how low our standards have sunk. I hesitate to link and do so with a huge caveat for extremely offensive material... the lyrics of the songs from the show. Read them if you dare and ask yourself, "This is worthwhile? This is entertaining? This is something I want to see? I would pay over $100 to see this? In 20 years this is something local schools and theater groups would be proud to present?" Americans will be proud to sing "Joseph Smith American Moses" in their community and school theaters? This is perhaps the lowest point American pop culture has reached in my lifetime. I can't adequately express how awful this stuff is when compared with the the legacy of great musical theater....Gilbert and Sullivan, Lerner and Loewe, Loesser, Rogers and Hammerstein, Bernstein, Bock, Gershwin, Porter, Herman, Berlin, Cohan, Willson, and so many more that have contributed not only to wonderful musical theater, but whose works are woven into our national identity. it's a sad day indeed when this caca not only gets an audience but also is honored and rewarded....not because of any kind of musical or literary excellence but as a sarcastic disrespectful thumb in the eye of religion and payback to the LDS church with social shaming and bullying. Want to know what I really think about this show? "Dead skunk in the middle of the road and it's stinking to high heaven." WARNING...HIGHLY OFFENSIVE LYRICS http://www.themusicallyrics.com/b/225-the-book-of-mormon-musical.html Edited March 20, 2017 by Bernard Gui 4
california boy Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) 19 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: You miss the point, bcuz. This has been the official LDS response since the musical opened. Of course it is a comedy and an anti-Mormon comedy at that. No one doubts that. Am I the only one that saw the musical that didn't think it was anti-Mormon? Yes it was poking fun of some of the quirkiness of Mormonism. But hey, the church is quirky. That is what makes it so different than all the other religions. Quite honestly, I felt it showed a very sympathetic view of Mormonism. The main plot is a missionary message that was just not connecting with the african population where the play is set. So this "green" elder changes the message to be something that the africans could understand and identify with. He substitutes western understanding with African understanding. As a result, the whole village is baptized. Yes the Africans didn't get everything about the church quite right. But please, there are a lot of members that don't get everything about the church quite right, especially when they are first baptized. We don't call them anti-Mormon. I personally thought that this musical could be performed in any ward in the church without offending most members EXCEPT for two very crude musical number that really was unnecessary. It is a really funny and well written musical. And there was enough humor in the play that really only a very solid member would even understand the connection. So how many here on this board have actually seen the play? And did they really feel it was anti-Mormon? Edited March 20, 2017 by california boy 2
Jeanne Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 13 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said: Having been on the production side (orchester member and orchestra director) of a quite a few musicals, I would like to express an unapologetic condemnation of this piece of puerile pop culture offal masquerading as entertainment. Why anyone would spend big bucks to hear this kind of basura I beyond my comprehension. It is irrefutable evidence of how low our standards have sunk. I hesitate to link and do so with a huge caveat for extremely offensive material... the lyrics of the songs from the show. Read them if you dare and ask yourself, "This is worthwhile? This is entertaining? This is something I want to see? I would pay over $100 to see this? In 20 years this is something local schools and theater groups would be proud to present?" Americans will be proud to sing "Joseph Smith American Moses" in their community and school theaters? This is perhaps the lowest point American pop culture has reached in my lifetime. I can't adequately express how awful this stuff is when compared with the the legacy of great musical theater....Gilbert and Sullivan, Lerner and Loewe, Loesser, Rogers and Hammerstein, Bernstein, Bock, Gershwin, Porter, Herman, Berlin, Cohan, Willson, and so many more that have contributed not only to wonderful musical theater, but whose works are woven into our national identity. it's a sad day indeed when this caca not only gets an audience but also is honored and rewarded....not because of any kind of musical or literary excellence but as a sarcastic disrespectful thumb in the eye of religion and payback to the LDS church with social shaming and bullying. Want to know what I really think about this show? "Dead skunk in the middle of the road and it's stinking to high heaven." WARNING...HIGHLY OFFENSIVE LYRICS http://www.themusicallyrics.com/b/225-the-book-of-mormon-musical.html I read the American Prophet lyrics..and you know, it is what it is. Just sayin;..
california boy Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) 57 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said: Having been on the production side (orchestra member and orchestra director) of a quite a few musicals, I would like to express an unapologetic condemnation of this piece of puerile pop culture offal masquerading as entertainment. Why anyone would spend big bucks to hear this kind of basura I beyond my comprehension. It is irrefutable evidence of how low our standards have sunk. I hesitate to link and do so with a huge caveat for extremely offensive material... the lyrics of the songs from the show. Read them if you dare and ask yourself, "This is worthwhile? This is entertaining? This is something I want to see? I would pay over $100 to see this? In 20 years this is something local schools and theater groups would be proud to present?" Americans will be proud to sing "Joseph Smith American Moses" in their community and school theaters? This is perhaps the lowest point American pop culture has reached in my lifetime. I can't adequately express how awful this stuff is when compared with the the legacy of great musical theater....Gilbert and Sullivan, Lerner and Loewe, Loesser, Rogers and Hammerstein, Bernstein, Bock, Gershwin, Porter, Herman, Berlin, Cohan, Willson, and so many more that have contributed not only to wonderful musical theater, but whose works are woven into our national identity. it's a sad day indeed when this caca not only gets an audience but also is honored and rewarded....not because of any kind of musical or literary excellence but as a sarcastic disrespectful thumb in the eye of religion and payback to the LDS church with social shaming and bullying. Want to know what I really think about this show? "Dead skunk in the middle of the road and it's stinking to high heaven." WARNING...HIGHLY OFFENSIVE LYRICS http://www.themusicallyrics.com/b/225-the-book-of-mormon-musical.html I disagree totally. Yes there are two songs that uses crude language. But the rest of the music is hardly the lowest point in American pop culture. I would encourage anyone who wants to understand this musical better to read the lyrics. Just don't read Hasa Diga Eebowai or Joseph Smith. America Moses which does have some which I found quite offensive and definitely R rated. But read the rest of the lyrics. Of course you aren't seeing the whole musical. But I think you will not find them offensive. But hey, I could be totally wrong. For those that are willing to have an open mind, love to hear what you think. Edited March 20, 2017 by california boy
california boy Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 43 minutes ago, Jeanne said: I read the American Prophet lyrics..and you know, it is what it is. Just sayin;.. And that is one of the two that I find offensive. Read the other lyrics. It is not the evil that Bernard thinks in my opinion. I mean I am not going to defend this play as being perfect, but it is hardly the evil over the top anti-Mormon play that some want to portray it to be. 1
Robert F. Smith Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 55 minutes ago, california boy said: Am I the only one that saw the musical that didn't think it was anti-Mormon? Yes it was poking fun of some of the quirkiness of Mormonism. But hey, the church is quirky. That is what makes it so different than all the other religions. Quite honestly, I felt it showed a very sympathetic view of Mormonism. The main plot is a missionary message that was just not connecting with the african population where the play is set. So this "green" elder changes the message to be something that the africans could understand and identify with. He substitutes western understanding with African understanding. As a result, the whole village is baptized. Yes the Africans didn't get everything about the church quite right. But please, there are a lot of members that don't get everything about the church quite right, especially when they are first baptized. We don't call them anti-Mormon. I personally thought that this musical could be performed in any ward in the church without offending most members EXCEPT for two very crude musical number that really was unnecessary. It is a really funny and well written musical. And there was enough humor in the play that really only a very solid member would even understand the connection. So how many here on this board have actually seen the play? And did they really feel it was anti-Mormon? I haven't seen the musical, so I'll take your word for it that it is more quirky and fun than anti-Mormon. I have never been offended that people seem to enjoy the musical and go to it in droves. Indeed, if (as you say) it is a very sympathetic view of Mormonism, then all the more reason to openly advertize and missionize at the exits. 1
cinepro Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) If "The Book of Mormon" musical is in some way supposed to have a net benefit for the Church, then based on the shows that have come out in the last few years about Scientology, they should just be going like gangbusters right now. Edited March 20, 2017 by cinepro
cinepro Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 6 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said: I haven't seen the musical, so I'll take your word for it that it is more quirky and fun than anti-Mormon. I have never been offended that people seem to enjoy the musical and go to it in droves. Indeed, if (as you say) it is a very sympathetic view of Mormonism, then all the more reason to openly advertize and missionize at the exits. It is not a "sympathetic" view of Mormonism. It is only "sympathetic" in that it presents Mormons as kind but delusional idiots. "Oh, look at that, they say we're kind. How sympathetic!" Any LDS who tries to pretend that the show (and its massive popularity) is anything but an unmitigated disaster for the Church is fooling themselves. Every day, thousands and thousands of people all over the world are paying to see a 2+ hour musical that presents a pretty accurate view of the founding narrative of the Church, and then mocking it (and the missionary program) to shreds. It is statistically certain that at least some of these thousands of people would end up joining the Church, but I suspect there are just as many people who have decided to move to Uganda based on seeing the play as have decided to join the Church (and the Ugandan Tourist Bureau is probably in the same mode of self-denial regarding the play). 1
Robert F. Smith Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 9 minutes ago, cinepro said: It is not a "sympathetic" view of Mormonism. It is only "sympathetic" in that it presents Mormons as kind but delusional idiots. "Oh, look at that, they say we're kind. How sympathetic!" Any LDS who tries to pretend that the show (and its massive popularity) is anything but an unmitigated disaster for the Church is fooling themselves. Every day, thousands and thousands of people all over the world are paying to see a 2+ hour musical that presents a pretty accurate view of the founding narrative of the Church, and then mocking it (and the missionary program) to shreds. It is statistically certain that at least some of these thousands of people would end up joining the Church, but I suspect there are just as many people who have decided to move to Uganda based on seeing the play as have decided to join the Church (and the Ugandan Tourist Bureau is probably in the same mode of self-denial regarding the play). O.K., cinepro, consider me a fool then, while I consider you as too cleverly cynical by half.
Bernard Gui Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 2 hours ago, california boy said: I disagree totally. Yes there are two songs that uses crude language. But the rest of the music is hardly the lowest point in American pop culture. I would encourage anyone who wants to understand this musical better to read the lyrics. Just don't read Hasa Diga Eebowai or Joseph Smith. America Moses which does have some which I found quite offensive and definitely R rated. But read the rest of the lyrics. Of course you aren't seeing the whole musical. But I think you will not find them offensive. But hey, I could be totally wrong. For those that are willing to have an open mind, love to hear what you think. We definitely disagree. It's garbage..x-rated songs and highly offensive, not R....I didn't call it evil. Just trash. I can't imagine an active Saint defending if because of it's "sweet" message. A few cheap junior high level scatalogical laughs does not greatness make. Don't waste money on this. Donate the ticket price to a soup kitchen or buy some Girl Scout cookies. 2
Popular Post The Nehor Posted March 20, 2017 Popular Post Posted March 20, 2017 3 hours ago, california boy said: Am I the only one that saw the musical that didn't think it was anti-Mormon? Yes it was poking fun of some of the quirkiness of Mormonism. But hey, the church is quirky. That is what makes it so different than all the other religions. Quite honestly, I felt it showed a very sympathetic view of Mormonism. The main plot is a missionary message that was just not connecting with the african population where the play is set. So this "green" elder changes the message to be something that the africans could understand and identify with. He substitutes western understanding with African understanding. As a result, the whole village is baptized. Yes the Africans didn't get everything about the church quite right. But please, there are a lot of members that don't get everything about the church quite right, especially when they are first baptized. We don't call them anti-Mormon. I personally thought that this musical could be performed in any ward in the church without offending most members EXCEPT for two very crude musical number that really was unnecessary. It is a really funny and well written musical. And there was enough humor in the play that really only a very solid member would even understand the connection. So how many here on this board have actually seen the play? And did they really feel it was anti-Mormon? Having viewed it I am convinced it is more insulting to Africans then LDS but it has enough insults for both. Somehow the portrayal of Africans as credulous idiots is forgiven because the main intended target is a more culturally acceptable target of mockery. 2 hours ago, cinepro said: It is not a "sympathetic" view of Mormonism. It is only "sympathetic" in that it presents Mormons as kind but delusional idiots. "Oh, look at that, they say we're kind. How sympathetic!" Any LDS who tries to pretend that the show (and its massive popularity) is anything but an unmitigated disaster for the Church is fooling themselves. Every day, thousands and thousands of people all over the world are paying to see a 2+ hour musical that presents a pretty accurate view of the founding narrative of the Church, and then mocking it (and the missionary program) to shreds. It is statistically certain that at least some of these thousands of people would end up joining the Church, but I suspect there are just as many people who have decided to move to Uganda based on seeing the play as have decided to join the Church (and the Ugandan Tourist Bureau is probably in the same mode of self-denial regarding the play). Yeah, it is sympathetic in the same way that minstrel shows were sympathetic to African Americans. On your second point I am less convinced. Publicity often helps a movement, sometimes even negative publicity. I believe we can use it to some good. Mockery can even be helpful. Mocking something tends to make it appear less dangerous. When we are the creepy women-stealers holed up in polygamous compounds or those nuts who go into our temples to conduct secret ceremonies or that horrible group who fight gay marriage we are seen as the enemy. For someone who watched the musical we may seem more harmless afterwards and without that barrier of fearful other we may be able to get through to people. 2 hours ago, cinepro said: If "The Book of Mormon" musical is in some way supposed to have a net benefit for the Church, then based on the shows that have come out in the last few years about Scientology, they should just be going like gangbusters right now. They are portrayed as a cult in the modern sense. Most of the studies of them focus on their sucking the life and money out of people to exploit them. The same charges are leveled at the LDS faith but most LDS are relatively happy and 10% does not result in poverty and we do not have to raise huge sums of cash to buy the next ordinance of exaltation. We are treated relatively lightly. 5
sunstoned Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) 4 hours ago, california boy said: Am I the only one that saw the musical that didn't think it was anti-Mormon? Yes it was poking fun of some of the quirkiness of Mormonism. But hey, the church is quirky. That is what makes it so different than all the other religions. Quite honestly, I felt it showed a very sympathetic view of Mormonism. The main plot is a missionary message that was just not connecting with the african population where the play is set. So this "green" elder changes the message to be something that the africans could understand and identify with. He substitutes western understanding with African understanding. As a result, the whole village is baptized. Yes the Africans didn't get everything about the church quite right. But please, there are a lot of members that don't get everything about the church quite right, especially when they are first baptized. We don't call them anti-Mormon. I personally thought that this musical could be performed in any ward in the church without offending most members EXCEPT for two very crude musical number that really was unnecessary. It is a really funny and well written musical. And there was enough humor in the play that really only a very solid member would even understand the connection. So how many here on this board have actually seen the play? And did they really feel it was anti-Mormon? I don't feel this musical was anti mormon at all. I feel that most of the people who have seen this play would not feel that it was anti anything. It was a story about mormon missionaries in Africa. Yes, this play exposed some of the quirky mormon beliefs. But it did not misrepresent these beliefs. If you believe this stuff, then own it. Don't spin it, own it. Edited March 20, 2017 by sunstoned
sunstoned Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said: We definitely disagree. It's garbage..x-rated songs and highly offensive, not R....I didn't call it evil. Just trash. I can't imagine an active Saint defending if because of it's "sweet" message. A few cheap junior high level scatalogical laughs does not greatness make. Don't waste money on this. Donate the ticket price to a soup kitchen or buy some Girl Scout cookies. Really? You thing this story line is trash? It is a good thing they didn't delve too far into our church history or things could have gone down hill real fast.
Bernard Gui Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) 1 hour ago, sunstoned said: Really? You thing this story line is trash? It is a good thing they didn't delve too far into our church history or things could have gone down hill real fast. Really. The show is awful offal. Edited March 20, 2017 by Bernard Gui
The Nehor Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 1 hour ago, sunstoned said: I don't feel this musical was anti mormon at all. I feel that most of the people who have seen this play would not feel that it was anti anything. It was a story about mormon missionaries in Africa. Yes, this play exposed some of the quirky mormon beliefs. But it did not misrepresent these beliefs. If you believe this stuff, then own it. Don't spin it, own it. So when the missionary started confusing LDS teachings with Battlestar Galactica and added hobbits we need to own that belief? 3
california boy Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said: We definitely disagree. It's garbage..x-rated songs and highly offensive, not R....I didn't call it evil. Just trash. I can't imagine an active Saint defending if because of it's "sweet" message. A few cheap junior high level scatalogical laughs does not greatness make. Don't waste money on this. Donate the ticket price to a soup kitchen or buy some Girl Scout cookies. Ok let's look at these vile evil trash lyrics. Nothing like bringing them out to the light of day. Here is the first number. Got any problem with this one? Quote Original Broadway Production (2011)The Book of Mormon: the Musical - Hello! Lyrics ELDER PRICE: Hello! My name is Elder Price And I would like to share with you The most amazing book. ELDER GRANT: Hello! My name is Elder Grant. It's a book about America A long, long time ago. ELDER PRICE: It has So many awesome parts You simply won't believe How much this book can change your life. ELDER GREEN: Hello! My name is Elder Green I would like to share with you This book of Jesus Christ. ELDER YOUNG: Hello! My name is Elder Young ELDER HARRIS: Hello! ELDER YOUNG: Did you know that Jesus Lived here in the U.S.A.? ELDER GRANT: You can Read all about it now! ELDER WHITE: Hello! ELDER YOUNG: In this nifty book, it's free! No, you don't have to pay! ELDER YOUNG: Hello! ELDER SMITH: Hello! My name is Elder Smith! And can I leave this book with you For you to just peruse? ELDER BROWN: Hello! ELDER GREEN: Hello! ELDER HARRIS: Hello! ELDER SMITH: I'll just leave it here. It has a lot of information you can really use! ELDER PRICE: Hello! ELDER HARRIS: Hi! ELDER PRICE: My name is- ELDER GREEN: Jesus Christ! ELDER GRANT: You have a lovely home! ELDER CROSS: Hello! ELDER YOUNG: It's an amazing book! ELDER SMITH: Bonjour! ELDER WHITE: Hello! ELDER HARRIS: Ni hao! ELDER WHITE: Me llamo Elder White! ELDER GRANT: Are these your kids? ELDER GREEN: This book gives you the secret To eternal life! ELDER SMITH: Sound good? ALL: Eternal life! ELDER GREEN: With Jesus Christ! ALL: Is super fun! ELDER BROWN: Hello! ELDER HARRIS: Ding dong! ALL: And if you let us in, We'll show you how it can be done! ELDER GRANT: No thanks? ELDER GREEN: You sure? ELDER GRANT: Oh, well. ELDER GREEN: That's fine. ELDER GRANT: Goodbye! ELDER GREEN: Have fun in hell. ELDER GRANT and ELDER CROSS: Hey now! ALL: You simply won't believe how much This book will change your life, This book will change your life, This book will change your life! This book will change your life, This book will change your life! ELDER CUNNINGHAM: HELLO! Would you like to change religions?! I have a free book written by Jesus! VOICE: NO, NO, ELDER CUNNINGHAM! That's NOT how we do it! You're making things up again! JUST STICK TO THE APPROVED DIALOGUE. Elders, show him! ELDERS: Hello! ELDER CUNNINGHAM: Hello... ELDERS: My name is: ELDER CUNNINGHAM: Elder Cunningham? ELDERS: And we would like to share with you this book of Jesus Christ! ELDER PRICE: Hello! ELDER GRANT: Hello! ELDER GREEN and ELDER YOUNG: Ding dong! ELDER WHITE and ELDER BROWN: Heigh ho! ELDER SMITH: Just take this book! ELDER HARRIS: It's free! ELDER BROWN: For you! ELDER HARRIS: For me! ELDERS: You see? You simply won\'t believe How much this book will change Your life! (Hello!) This book will change your life! This book will change your life! (Hello!) This book will change- -So you won\'t burn in- ELDER WHITE: Hell...O! ELDERS: You\'re gonna die someday! But if you read this book you\'ll see That there\'s another way. Spend eternity With friends and family. We can fully guarantee you that This book will change your life! (Hello!) This book will change your life! (Hello!) This book will change your life! The book of Mormon! (Mormon!) Hello!!!
Calm Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) 22 hours ago, cinepro said: but I suspect there are just as many people who have decided to move to Uganda based on seeing the play as have decided to join the Church (and the Ugandan Tourist Bureau is probably in the same mode of self-denial regarding the play). I suppose I might be able to tolerate the critical/satirical Mormon*** material, but from the lyrics and descriptions, I find the portrayal of the Ugandans racist. Quote Somehow the portrayal of Africans as credulous idiots is forgiven because the main intended target is a more culturally acceptable target of mockery. I find it remarkable that this is happening. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-barber/mormon-show-paints-africa_b_3807463.html Quote "The musical…gives off a lot of Parker and Stone’s familiar comic heat, as well as their familiar lack of illumination... The laughter is hip; the formula is Hollywood. AIDS, female circumcision, assassination, Jesus, and the despoiled African population as a collective Stepin Fetchit routine are the targets here; one African character, for instance, finds a typewriter at a local market and thinks she’s “texting”—big racist gag. The show is smart enough to test the waters of outrage but not brazen enough to take a genuine plunge." I played some of the cast recording for my friend, Ryan, back in 2012, after he’d just returned from a 3-year stint with the Peace Corps in Uganda. He was less than amused, offended not for me (an ex-Mormon), but for all the joyous, smart, and faithful people he’d just left behind in Africa. Ugandans, he insisted, were deeply religious people; they had much more awareness of the issues facing them than the musical was giving them credit for. http://www.backwordsblog.com/single-post/2016/06/07/Americanism-on-Broadway-The-Book-of-Mormon-Musical ***I was disgusted with the racism and treatment of women and children in it, so went to "antimormon". I don't know if it qualifies for that though it is certainly bigoted against religion in general. Raping someone with a book of Mormon after an apparently vulnerable spiritual moment (as related by one reviewer) does make me wonder. The whole attitude of Mormons are sweet and nice and well meaning, but gullible and childish in their outlook on life reminds me of how my grandparents patronizingly used to talk about the blacks they knew. Edited March 21, 2017 by Calm 4
Calm Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) Warning...vulgar language from the show: https://halfwaytoamidlifecrisis.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/book-of-mormon-musical-haven-for-racial-stereotyping/ Quote The facts about Uganda — notice how I didn’t say Africa — are that genital mutilation was outlawed four years ago, but it continues to be practiced in rural areas not by some imposing military coup leader as a method of imposing his power but largely by elderly females who have been performing the surgery as a cultural initiation for decades. In fact, genital mutilation of girls in most African countries (see, used it appropriately there) is often carried out due to a complicated mix of social, cultural, and religious mandates by these local practitioners, who also preside over other important rites of passage in the village — births, for example. In Book of Mormon, the clumsy and under-achieving missionary Elder Cunningham knows just the remedy for this social ill — make up stories that explicitly forbid mutilation and pretend they are written in The Book of Mormon . . . problem solved. And because these ‘Africans’ are stereotypically portrayed as eager sponges willing to soak up anything and everything presented to them, not only do they forgo mutilation but they also stop “raping babies.” Yup, raping babies. Remember the very real and present danger that exists for virgins in some African societies where it is believed that having sex with a virgin can cure one of AIDS? Well, to get a hearty laugh, Book of Mormon throws in a line about there being no virgins left except babies. Hence, the need to rape babies, hence a running joke about raping babies. And if you were wondering, yes, that ‘joke’ got laughs every time... Eventually, the ‘Africans,’ led by the non-character of Nabulungi (the product of another running joke in which Elder Cunningham simply just can’t get her name right; I mean really who doesn’t find the blatant disregard for another culture hilarious?) put on a pageant for visiting Mormon dignitaries that reveals their misconceptions about the religion’s history. The pageant marks the pinnacle of the racial and cultural stereotyping that Book of Mormon leans upon for laughs — like children, the villagers are innocent in their mistakes and unintentionally, inappropriately, sexual in their expression (an echo of the “Baptism” number in which Nabulungi is baptized by Elder Cunningham in a pantomime of a sexual de-virginization). Horrified, the visiting elders must speak to their fellow Mormons separately (because the children can’t hear daddy yelling!) and as they leave, Nabulungi, in her manufactured innocence, proclaims, “I think they liked it!” Finally, instructed in the deception that has been played upon them, the Ugandan villagers come to the realization that even if these stories that commanded them not to rape babies and not to commit FGM if they wished to please a greater power are fabricated, Elder Cunningham had given them what they had really been missing — hope. And . . . white savior trope complete. Ultimately, while the audience is indeed encouraged to laugh at the bumbling and naive Mormon missionaries, they are equally if not more so led to laugh at what amounts to an egregiously stereotypical portrayal of a culture that is struggling to keep its head above water. As of 2010, there were 14.1 million Mormons worldwide, and that number is growing exponentially. The Church of Latter-Day Saints can take a bit of ribbing on what are largely factual representations of their beliefs and practices. But when 140 million girls and women worldwide are living with the consequences of FGM (which can include recurrent bladder and urinary tract infections, cysts, infertility, an increased risk of childbirth complications and newborn deaths, and the need for later surgeries), the humor is lost on me — especially when Book of Mormon so conveniently solves this problem by scaring off the FGM-inducing General with threats of his being afflicted with lesbianism from ‘Heavenly Father’ should he continue his behavior. Tee-hee, lesbianism as a curse from God. You know what would make that even funnier? If Uganda had criminal punishments for homosexuality and had passed a so-called “Kill the Gays” bill in 2009 which allows for extradition back to Uganda for same-sex acts committed by citizens outside its borders. Now that would be hilarious. Edited March 21, 2017 by Calm 2
Calm Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) Quote Libby Purves, reviewing for the Times (behind a paywall), goes further. "No sophisticate dares object to the swearwords, joke Jesus, a missionary having his sacred book rammed up his bum, or comic songs about female circumcision and the superstition that raping babies cures Aids," she writes. "It's postmodern irony, innit?" But it isn't much more than that, she goes on, and she has a particularly hard time stomaching the show's irony when it comes to Africa. "Beneath its jollity, [Mormon] is morally null and – without seeming to notice it – pretty racist," she argues. "Stone and Parker do not even have the courtesy to invent a country, as Evelyn Waugh did in Black Mischief. They chose Uganda." https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2013/mar/22/the-book-of-mormon-reviews Language warning: http://robotjane.tumblr.com/post/57259232555/white-people-are-mad-that-book-of-mormon-musical Quote A Black character is shot in the head at point-blank range immediately after showing one of the few glimmers of personality that the show’s black characters ever display. This is done for nothing more than dramatic effect, and though its mildly disquieting effect on the white supporting lead is showcased, not so much as a tear is shed for him by any Black characters, including his wife, whom he died defending. In fact, she is shown dancing around with everyone else several scenes later. Contrast this with the reaction of cartoonish grief (wailing, cursing god) that overtakes the Black characters when they are told that their white savior has died. This is particularly horrifying in the context of a staging of the show in Chicago, where I noticed all the theatre employees were Black but out of the entire full-house audience I only counted two people of color. Chicago has also been in the news (both real and Oniony) for the dubious distinction of being so lethal to Black bodies. Using gun violence against a Black man as a gag or a foil against that social backdrop is particularly inexcusable and repugnant. The male lead cannot remember the female lead’s name. She barely seems more than annoyed by this, and whatever opposition she may have to being called increasingly insulting monikers, such as “Nutella” and “Necrophilia” instead of her actual name, must be brought in as body language by the actress, since not a single goddamn word is written into the script about it. This, on the heels of child star Quvenzhané Wallis having to defend her own name from erasure by a white newslady in a news story about her. Disease and physical pain (insofar they afflict Black bodies) is played for laughs, reinforcing a racist cultural belief that Black bodies simply don’t experience as much pain, just a hop skip and a jump away from classic racist accusations that Black families don’t love their children as much as white ones, that their physical and emotional suffering is laughable and their well-being immaterial even to themselves. Stupid, lazy running joke about a Black woman mistaking a typewriter for a mobile phone. Just… I don’t even. Besides the fact that the continent of Africa is home to some of the largest-growing markets for cell phone use in the world, this character, who “texts” all her friends by typing them letters, is somehow also portrayed as illiterate, when she fails to actually read the book whose stories about which she’s so zealously faithful. She’s the perfect noble-savage simpleton who is able to read, but not able to understand. That is, until a bumbling white idiot stumbles into her life and gives it meaning with his magically enlightening whiteness. I won’t even get into the ridiciously stereotypical portrayal of Uganda. It’s ****ing South Park, I’ve seen the stupid Starvin’ Marvin episode. (At this point, I would also like to point out that I did not buy tickets to this musical for myself, I was asked to see it by my parents who had driven a long way to see me.) A Black character is shot in the head at point-blank range immediately after showing one of the few glimmers of personality that the show’s black characters ever display. This is done for nothing more than dramatic effect, and though its mildly disquieting effect on the white supporting lead is showcased, not so much as a tear is shed for him by any Black characters, including his wife, whom he died defending. In fact, she is shown dancing around with everyone else several scenes later. Contrast this with the reaction of cartoonish grief (wailing, cursing god) that overtakes the Black characters when they are told that their white savior has died. This is particularly horrifying in the context of a staging of the show in Chicago, where I noticed all the theatre employees were Black but out of the entire full-house audience I only counted two people of color. Chicago has also been in the news (both real and Oniony) for the dubious distinction of being so lethal to Black bodies. Using gun violence against a Black man as a gag or a foil against that social backdrop is particularly inexcusable and repugnant. The male lead cannot remember the female lead’s name. She barely seems more than annoyed by this, and whatever opposition she may have to being called increasingly insulting monikers, such as “Nutella” and “Necrophilia” instead of her actual name, must be brought in as body language by the actress, since not a single goddamn word is written into the script about it. This, on the heels of child star Quvenzhané Wallis having to defend her own name from erasure by a white newslady in a news story about her. Disease and physical pain (insofar they afflict Black bodies) is played for laughs, reinforcing a racist cultural belief that Black bodies simply don’t experience as much pain, just a hop skip and a jump away from classic racist accusations that Black families don’t love their children as much as white ones, that their physical and emotional suffering is laughable and their well-being immaterial even to themselves. Stupid, lazy running joke about a Black woman mistaking a typewriter for a mobile phone. Just… I don’t even. Besides the fact that the continent of Africa is home to some of the largest-growing markets for cell phone use in the world, this character, who “texts” all her friends by typing them letters, is somehow also portrayed as illiterate, when she fails to actually read the book whose stories about which she’s so zealously faithful. She’s the perfect noble-savage simpleton who is able to read, but not able to understand. That is, until a bumbling white idiot stumbles into her life and gives it meaning with his magically enlightening whiteness. I won’t even get into the ridiciously stereotypical portrayal of Uganda. It’s ******** South Park, I’ve seen the stupid Starvin’ Marvin episode. (At this point, I would also like to point out that I did not buy tickets to this musical for myself, I was asked to see it by my parents who had driven a long way to see me.) Edited March 21, 2017 by Calm 1
Calm Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) Review of The Book of Mormon (musical) 3 Apr ’16 by Remy Nakamura Leave a Comment Quote I felt sucker-punched by The Book of Mormon. I was expecting a clever if irreverent take down of Mormonism; I got that, but I had to choke it down with a big bucket of humor at the expense of blacks on stage and in the audience. For what it’s worth, I’m a Mormon who was excommunicated for apostasy during the Prop 8 controversy. I served a two-year mission to Japan. I’m also straight/white-passing queer POC. I went in without reading any reviews, but with a general sense that though offensive in that beloved South Park way, it was a very good show. A huge part of the ‘humor’ comes from the encounter between white American missionaries and villagers in rural Uganda. As the musical progresses, it escalates from poking fun at naive American perceptions of Africans (starting with cluelessness about Uganda’s location) to making joke after joke largely at the expense of the Ugandans, fully capitalizing on the worst stereotypes of sub-Sarharan Africa. Here’s a quick list: In general, the villagers are portrayed as poor, naive, backwards, crass, and hypersexualized. All of the women in the village have suffered from or are in danger of clitoridectomies. The smart and resourceful female lead, Nabulungi, uses a typewriter to ‘send texts’. Nabulungi is called: ‘Namba Jamba’, ‘Jon Bon Jovi’, ‘Neosporin’, ‘Necrophilia’ and probably a dozen other demeaning names by the male lead. The village is terrorized by a warlord named “Butt ****** Naked” (who is the source of sodomy-related jokes even after the play ends, when the cast asks the audience for donations to a Broadway AIDS foundation. And rape is treated both as character development and a punchline.) A man’s claim to rape babies to cure his AIDS is also repeatedly played for laughs. Another recurring joke: “There are maggots in my scrotum!” “You should see the doctor!” “I *am* the doctor!” I studied the crowd after the performance. Some folks were hurrying to beat the exodus from the parking structure, but many small groups were laughing as they recounted different scenes. But not a single black audience member was smiling. Most looked shell-shocked. There was potential in this play. There was a level of depth and complexity that went into the portrayal of the white Mormon missionary characters and a sophistication to the humorous critique of Mormonism and American proselytizing that didn’t make it to the other half of the cast. The Ugandans were played for cheap laughs, and these jokes could’ve been written by just about any racist and homophobic 12-year-old. But what was most disappointing was hearing everyone around us laughing heartily at, and not with, the African characters. Parker and Stone know their audience well. This is the sad and low baseline for humor in America. http://www.mindonfire.com/2016/04/03/review-of-the-book-of-mormon-musical/ Edited March 21, 2017 by Calm 2
Calm Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) Quote Things only get worse from there. Elder Price’s reward for baring his soul is sexual assault. There were a few gasps from the Salt Lake audience when this plot turn was revealed, but it was followed by laughter. In some twisted way this was the writers’ ultimate achievement. Congratulations guys, you made a brutal rape comedic, and it’s okay because the weapon was literally Mormon scripture and the victim a dumb missionary. Yes, this is make-believe. Yes, this is parody. Yes, I can take a joke, but at that point in the show, the audience was as complicit as the goons that guard the Ugandan warlord. We laugh at the cruelty; Elder Price is no longer a human being. We have entered the realm of bigotry. Behold the power of theater." "Just because we can say something doesn’t mean we should. If a satirist chooses to ridicule an already marginalized group he is now in a position of privilege that can contribute to a dangerous unawareness of how his unbridled speech can degrade the humanity of his targets. The consequence of that abuse of power is that those targets start to see themselves as victims and become vulnerable to demagogues who preach retribution. Hate breaks out all over.... Bless your hearts, Parker, Stone, and Lopez. You are now pillars of the Church of American Musical Theater. “The Book of Mormon” is bursting with loving references to that tradition. You have been compared to Rogers and Hammerstein. I saw groundbreaking creativity on display, but no engagement with improving the human condition, the foundation of powerful satire. The production was another sad skirmish in the culture wars, isolating Mormons instead of bringing them, and other conservative people of faith, into the conversation. While the giants of the Broadway musical used this medium to expose bigotry, you have given intolerance a whole new life — drumming it into the dear little ears of worldwide audiences six nights a week. Bravo. http://onbeing.org/blog/nothing-sacred-satire-comes-to-salt-lake-city/ This last is the only one I posted from a believing LDS. Edited March 21, 2017 by Calm 1
Meadowchik Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: You are allowing your personal feelings to color your judgment. This really isn't a question about how this or that person feels about those ridiculous or horrible Mormons, but rather a practical question about marketing. I was responding to someone's personal, emotional framing of the situation. 1
Popular Post Scott Lloyd Posted March 20, 2017 Popular Post Posted March 20, 2017 On 3/18/2017 at 7:43 PM, bcuzbcuz said: The part that neither my wife nor I understand is that, following the play, positioned outside all the exit doors, were groups of missionaries, each wearing the identifying name tags, handing out Books of Mormon to any and all who would accept them. A sort of "now that you've seen the musical, why not read the real book?". To understand the ludicrous in the missionary's actions is to understand the juxtaposition the musical has to the Mormon beliefs. The musical offers entertainment value of having a good belly laugh, but the not so hidden message is that this missionary, the one who just makes stuff up, is no different from Joseph Smith, who was exceedingly creative to make up all the Mormon "stuff". My wife observed a young couple travelling home on the same bus, late on this Friday night, regailing themselves in laughter by flipping open to pages in their free copy of the BofM and reading a passage. They would read a lline or two and then laugh out loud. I'm trying to resist re-establishing a presence here, but I can't resist offering this eyewitness account from my missionary son as a counterpoint to the above. He was called a week or two ago to the mission office in Stockholm for a "train-the-trainers" training session. Here's his account: Quote It was already past 9, so I was expecting us to just hit the hay, but then the POEs asked me if I wanted to go to the China Theater with them and hand out copies of the Book of Mormon to people coming out of the Book of Mormon musical. I said of course I did. So we drove through downtown Stockholm and set up right outside the theater. We had over 200 copies of the Book of Mormon. There was 3 POEs, me the honorary POE, and 6 other Elders, and we took positions outside the doors, and waited. Then the rush came. LOTS of people started pouring out, and we handed out BoM´s like candy. 15 minutes went by and 200 copies of the BofM were GONE. 200 SWEDES now had copies of the Book of Mormon. I don´t know if I´ve given out 100 copies to Swedes on my entire mission! And we handed out even more cards, and people would stop to talk to us, some didn´t believe we were real missionaries haha they thought it was a gig with the show or something, and other people were way happy to get a copy of the Book of Mormon. It was some of the most fun I´ve had yet on my mission!! The Stockholm area missionaries do this every night, hand out about 200 per night and 1000 on weekends. President Beckstrand said about 5000 copies have been handed out. Massive success is being had in connection with the Book of Mormon musical, and it´s very exciting to see how the Lord is using this musical to help His work move forward. 8
Recommended Posts