Satanic Temple Creating Database For Those Who Wish To Refuse A Mormon Baptism For The Dead

JAHS

"Group creates 'opt out' website for LDS practice of baptism for the dead"

"The Satanic Temple is creating a database for those who wish to refuse a Mormon baptism for the dead after they die.

TST says the Baptism Opt Out registry gives the person the ability to ensure, while they are alive, their religious liberties are upheld.

"By creating this registry, we have ensured that the LDS Church will need to check in with The Satanic Temple before performing their baptism for the dead, or risk violating the direct wishes of those they seek to convert."

http://kutv.com/news/offbeat/do-not-publish-marcie-read-group-creates-opt-out-web-site-for-lds-baptism-for-the-dead

Not sure how they expect to enforce this.

This is inane propaganda.  First, I would never check such a database.  Second, after a hundred years passes away the list will be meaningless and descendants will still do the work for all their ancestors.  Third, the dead really care; how do you demonstrate that?  Fourth, and this is what always amazes, if a religion focused on a God you don't recognize or worship wants to pray for your salvation, does anyone care?  Why?  

I know a few groups that can roll themselves into a tizzy fit about Mormon baptisms for the dead, but I have always felt this is more childish than anything else.  If a group wants to be really helpful start a list that people can sign that will encourage anyone to pray for them regardless of religion.  I will sign that list.  

No one is going to check this database.  First of all the name, Satanic Temple, will keep most people away.  Also, names are turned in for ordinance work by individuals.  This submission process is not something the church has much control over,  I'm sure there is filtering and checks in place, but with the massive about of names that are submitted, things slip through. This is evidenced by the many duplicate names that are submitted, and the continued submission of holocaust victim names.  

From their website:

"The mission of The Satanic Temple is to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people. In addition, we embrace practical common sense and justice.

As an organized religion, we feel it is our function to actively provide outreach, to lead by example, and to participate in public affairs wheresoever the issues might benefit from rational, Satanic insights. As Satanists, we all should be guided by our consciences to undertake noble pursuits guided by our individual wills. We believe that this is the hope of all mankind and the highest aspiration of humanity."

"rational Satanic insights"?

I get with their long history of forced baptism, including losing children this way, why there are many Jews who have an issue with it. It becomes a symbol for them of how Christians just went ahead and dictated their religious lives for centuries.

I get why some relatives get ticked off because of the calm assurance of LDS relatives who will just do the work after they are dead, especially if the LDS are smug about it or even gloating (totally wrong).

For those who don't have that level of interaction or history, I don't see why they would be upset about a ritual they don't believe has any power or lists of names that are less meaningful than the local phone book to them.  I accept that many are, but still haven't been able to relate to it.

This is as silly as the time I told my kids if they didn't get their room cleaned up in 20 minutes, it meant they loved Justin Bieber.  They didn't do it.  I said, "Do you know what this means?" "That I love Justin Bieber?"  "Yes."  There was howling.  Seriously, from the depths of their soul. 

You can't make someone be Mormon anymore than you can declare someone loves Justin Bieber when they don't. 

"Group creates 'opt out' website for LDS practice of baptism for the dead"

"The Satanic Temple is creating a database for those who wish to refuse a Mormon baptism for the dead after they die.

TST says the Baptism Opt Out registry gives the person the ability to ensure, while they are alive, their religious liberties are upheld.

"By creating this registry, we have ensured that the LDS Church will need to check in with The Satanic Temple before performing their baptism for the dead, or risk violating the direct wishes of those they seek to convert."

http://kutv.com/news/offbeat/do-not-publish-marcie-read-group-creates-opt-out-web-site-for-lds-baptism-for-the-dead

Not sure how they expect to enforce this.

This is fully in keeping with LDS doctrine, since Satan wants to prevent the success of any plan but his.  He is very spiteful.  Yet there must needs be opposition.

What if we baptized for and in behalf of the name of "Legion" (Luke 8:30)?

Wouldn't we then have this entire group's work done in one fell swoop?

:crazy:

I dunno, but I was in a group (of missionaries, no less, in the MTC) when the ordinances for a gentleman with the first name "Lucifer" were done.  The sealer couldn't help but shake his head. :huh:

Edited by Kenngo1969

It doesn't matter. You cannot help or hurt someone who has died.

Regards,

Jim

1 Peter 3:18, 1 Peter 4:6, and John 15:29 would seem to disagree. :)