Duncan Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 While I am no fan of MLM I think you can be skunk in any profession. Dishonesty, greed, scams are not limited to any profession
The Nehor Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 And we know that The Lord would never call one of those to any high position.God, we thank thee, that we are not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as these multi-level marketers. Hmmm....analogy falls apart. You see, the publicans Jesus brought in were repentant and it was possible (though rare) to be an honest publican who only collected taxes justly owed. I am grateful to God that I am not a multi-level marketer. Unlike the Pharisee in the referenced scripture though I do not have much time to focus on that as my prayer time is taken up with my other sins.
The Nehor Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 While I am no fan of MLM I think you can be skunk in any profession. Dishonesty, greed, scams are not limited to any profession True, but some professions are inherently scammy and dishonest.
The Nehor Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Does that include deseret book They are a weird area. If they were to start tying faithfulness to the purchase of their products then yes.
Avatar4321 Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 I think it can. Some professions face more temptations than others. If I chose to be a porn star or a bar tender, i think I would have some obvious problems with worthiness for example. Law and business have some temptations also. As would the Entertainment industry. It's the man not the profession that may have issues.
The Nehor Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 I think it can. Some professions face more temptations than others. If I chose to be a porn star or a bar tender, i think I would have some obvious problems with worthiness for example. Law and business have some temptations also. As would the Entertainment industry. It's the man not the profession that may have issues. I don't care how virtuous you are I am not okay with someone being a loan shark or a mafia don.
Mola Ram Suda Ram Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Too late. You've opened the box and it can't be stuffed back in. Take the worst aspects of MLM, add in the misuse of ward directories as sales call lists, sprinkle in out of context quotes from church leaders as part of your sales pitch, produce a product that is completely condemned by Deuteronomy 4:2, and put guilt-ridden threats at the beginning of every video about how you are going to burn and become a minion of Satan if you make a copy of the video, and what do you get? Living Scriptures.Oh snap that is pretty good observation. For the record I am no fan of MLM's. They disgust me in fact, as they do prey an awful lot on the ignorant. If you knew that you were not going to make money unless you were on the first few tiers would you do it? That disclaimer always seems to be left out of the sales pitch.
halconero Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Hmmm....analogy falls apart. You see, the publicans Jesus brought in were repentant and it was possible (though rare) to be an honest publican who only collected taxes justly owed. I am grateful to God that I am not a multi-level marketer. Unlike the Pharisee in the referenced scripture though I do not have much time to focus on that as my prayer time is taken up with my other sins.Where do they repent of being publicans?
The Nehor Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Where do they repent of being publicans? They don't repent of being publicans. They repent of sinning on the job which was admittedly what almost all publicans did: "And Zacchæus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold."
LoudmouthMormon Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Wow. Y'all are talking about choice of profession affecting worthiness, and you pick MLM to discuss? The first thing that came to my mind was "guy who kidnaps and grooms children for the global sex trade". But yeah, I suppose MLM could be considered a close second. (That last sentence was a joke, btw...)
The Nehor Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Wow. Y'all are talking about choice of profession affecting worthiness, and you pick MLM to discuss? The first thing that came to my mind was "guy who kidnaps and grooms children for the global sex trade". But yeah, I suppose MLM could be considered a close second. (That last sentence was a joke, btw...) I think we were trying to leave out professions that were blatantly illegal like sex-slave trafficking and serial jaywalkers.
ERayR Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Where do they repent of being publicans? Oh my at first I read that as politicians but then that would get the thread closed wouldn't it.
bluebell Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Yes, i think our choice of profession can affect our worthiness. No, i don't believe that everyone involved with an MLM is immoral.
Avatar4321 Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 I don't care how virtuous you are I am not okay with someone being a loan shark or a mafia don. How can you be a virtuous loan shark or mafia don?
strappinglad Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 How can you be a virtuous loan shark or mafia don? You could give loans to deserving people at 2% per week instead of the usual 5%. As a Don , you could look after the widows and orphans... that you created. Few men are pure evil. Even Hitler loved his dog.
halconero Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 They don't repent of being publicans. They repent of sinning on the job which was admittedly what almost all publicans did: "And Zacchæus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold." I agree with that. My argument is more along the lines that profession doesn't necessarily determine worthiness.
ERayR Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 I agree with that. My argument is more along the lines that profession doesn't necessarily determine worthiness. Yes but, people of lower standards seem to float to some professions more than others.
cinepro Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 Where do they repent of being publicans? The problem is that after they repented of being publicans, they relapsed. Which makes the re-publicans. 4
rpn Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 So OP, why don't you ask this man about how he reconciles honesty with his fellowmen and helping MLMarketers? He might tell you that he is determined to do what he can to help them NOT take advantage or be dishonest ---- sometimes people represent others for that very reason (though it can be hard to maintain one's morality when everyone else in a company is corrupt). I'd venture a guess that many of those who do MLM think of themselves as helping others, and fully righteous, and probably even ARE both of those things. It is important for mortals to understand that the Lord judges on the person's heart as well as their capacity, ,and their ability, and their knowledge. He doesn't always look at things the same way that mortals do. While it is entirely possible that men who issue calls to people who kill or molest or steal from others failed to listen to the Lord in issuing the calls (in those stakes and wards where people are blinded by social ties or expectations, or the like, sometimes people who could do the work are overlooked because of mortal failings), it is also possible that they got it right, and the person simply sinned anyway.
Sleeper Cell Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 You could give loans to deserving people at 2% per week instead of the usual 5%. As a Don , you could look after the widows and orphans... that you created. Few men are pure evil. Even Hitler loved his dog.IIRC, he eventually poisoned his dog.
thesometimesaint Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 IIRC, he eventually poisoned his dog. All Dogs go to Heaven. People not so much.
Grudunza Posted May 9, 2014 Posted May 9, 2014 While it is entirely possible that men who issue calls to people who kill or molest or steal from others failed to listen to the Lord in issuing the calls (in those stakes and wards where people are blinded by social ties or expectations, or the like, sometimes people who could do the work are overlooked because of mortal failings), it is also possible that they got it right, and the person simply sinned anyway. This reminds me of a totally off-topic subject that I found interesting... The BTK serial killer was finally caught after 20 years or so because he had become the president of his local Christian church and used the church's computer to send some taunting message to the police, which they were able to trace back to him. When I first heard that, it made me think how gullible the people of that congregation must have been to have given a notorious serial killer the highest position in their church. But then I thought about it and realized that the people may have been inspired to do that, in a way they couldn't possibly have known, in order to lead to the situation that finally got him caught. So I guess, to vaguely tie this to the subject at hand, sometimes the Lord has purposes for the people that are called to leadership positions that are beyond any question of their apparent worthiness (or not).
Tacenda Posted May 10, 2014 Posted May 10, 2014 I've noticed the same about these companies--location and being staffed by RMs. I've never had alarms or pest control--never felt it necessary. So I simply haven't paid attention. I have wondered how they can have success though. What are these deceptive sales tactics you mention? I've had alarm sales guys come to my door--always tell them no. What do they do that is so bad?Thanks.My nephew on my husband's side is a RM, and he got married today. They are moving out of state and selling pest control, learned that today.
Yirgacheffe Posted May 10, 2014 Posted May 10, 2014 So can a Mormon be worthy if she is a Showtime exec or runs a hotel chain that sells in-room porn?I wouldn't know if a Mormon could be worthy in any given situation, but for me personally I would see someone at Showtime or a hotel chain who votes for showing porn as participating in the porn industry. While this kind of participation doesn't for me rise to the point of say not forming friendships, they wouldn't be the first people I would consider taking moral advice from.
Recommended Posts