Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

PS I'll be raising a glass (donating a dollar) if Elder Holland makes me want to cheer! Or if President Monson quotes a poem! Or, for all my mofem friends, if a woman gives a prayer! Oh and if President Uchtdorf wears a purple tie (like the ties he wore to the Gen Women's Mtg).

 

What are you watching for this conference?

Posted (edited)

You might be able to get me to watch General Conference if you said that every time a certain word was mentioned I have to take a drink of Lagavulin.

 

How about this: to prove that Mormons are Christians, every time Jesus is mentioned I get to taste that wonderful peat-smoke of the 16 year single malt Scottish whiskey.  Whaddya say?

 

:)

Edited by MiserereNobis
Posted

You might be able to get me to watch General Conference if you said that every time a certain word was mentioned I have to take a drink of Lagavulin.

 

How about this: to prove that Mormons are Christians, every time Jesus is mentioned I get to taste that wonderful peat-smoke of the 16 year single match Scottish whiskey.  Whaddya say?

 

:)

Hey - you go right ahead - just so long as you donate a dollar!

Posted

You might be able to get me to watch General Conference if you said that every time a certain word was mentioned I have to take a drink of Lagavulin.

 

How about this: to prove that Mormons are Christians, every time Jesus is mentioned I get to taste that wonderful peat-smoke of the 16 year single match Scottish whiskey.  Whaddya say?

 

:)

 

I'll raise a glass of beer to that .... Root Beer that is. :)

Posted (edited)

All - donations have already started coming but please promote this wherever you're so inclined.  Blogs or websites, emails, facebook... 

 

I literally had a crazy dream about this early this morning and thought... what the heck! Certainly twice a year we can all join hands across the Mormon community! If this goes well, I'll launch a similar campaign every 6 months and make reasonable upward adjustments to the fundraising goal. 

 

I chose charity water because 100% of the donation goes to the cause. They raise funds separately for operating expenses. 

Edited by mercyngrace
Posted (edited)

All - donations have already started coming but please promote this wherever you're so inclined. Blogs or websites, emails, facebook...

I literally had a crazy dream about this early this morning and thought... what the heck! Certainly twice a year we can all join hands across the Mormon community! If this goes well, I'll launch a similar campaign every 6 months and make reasonable upward adjustments to the fundraising goal.

I chose charity water because 100% of the donation goes to the cause. They raise funds separately for operating expenses.

There is also the option of the Clean Water projects for those who arent comfortable contributing to an unfamiliar charity. It looks like ultimate goal is the same, one goes about it on a more individual basis and the other is more community oriented if that makes a difference to anyone as well. Charity water looks to be much, much more expansive than the Church's projects, having been able to reach over 2 million people, looks to be very effective as well.

I post this not to compete in any way with Mercy's option, I think it's a brilliant idea, just doing this to take away any excuse about being unsure about the charity....if someone is watching general conference it is highly likely this will correspond with a high level of trust in lds humanitarian projects:

http://ldscharities.org/initiatives/clean-water?lang=eng

Donate here: https://donate.lds.org/TNHO3ajmoEyyUA7Sb5uKkg/G/5ZgVo9Qd8EmHpj8ZRnFhzg?cat=7g19dTKZDkKoIWRgyresjQ&cde1=796

Edited by calmoriah
Posted

For those who haven't yet "liked" or aren't "following", I've been adding Bingo boards throughout the day for folks across the spectrum of internet Mormonism. This is just to help you track the number of "glasses you raise" during conference. There's a board for NOMs, a board for MoFems, a board for TBMs, and a board for the kiddies. I had a lot of fun creating them based on issues that *I think, based on reading the bloggernacle for years now* matter to each group. 

 

These are meant to get a laugh, obviously, but it'd also be wonderful if we all remembered that we are more alike than we are different (hmmm... where have I heard that recently?) and that we also share a common need with many of our brothers and sisters who need clean water!

 

[/PSA]

Posted

You might be able to get me to watch General Conference if you said that every time a certain word was mentioned I have to take a drink of Lagavulin.

 

How about this: to prove that Mormons are Christians, every time Jesus is mentioned I get to taste that wonderful peat-smoke of the 16 year single malt Scottish whiskey.  Whaddya say?

 

:)

 

Jeez, Lagavullin is too good for a drinking game.  I'd go with something peaty, but cheaper -- Laphroaig.

Posted

For those who haven't yet "liked" or aren't "following", I've been adding Bingo boards throughout the day for folks across the spectrum of internet Mormonism. This is just to help you track the number of "glasses you raise" during conference. There's a board for NOMs, a board for MoFems, a board for TBMs, and a board for the kiddies. I had a lot of fun creating them based on issues that *I think, based on reading the bloggernacle for years now* matter to each group.

These are meant to get a laugh, obviously, but it'd also be wonderful if we all remembered that we are more alike than we are different (hmmm... where have I heard that recently?) and that we also share a common need with many of our brothers and sisters who need clean water!

[/PSA]

This is precisely the reason that I'm a Mormon (or more accurately, an aspiring Mormon). Regardless of any questions about our history or doctrines, I KNOW that this church produces people who can turn a snarky drinking game into something that will literally provide "living water" to others.

And then the added touch of creating boards to reach out to "unorthodox" Mormons lets me KNOW this Church produces people who exhibit the best qualities of Christ.

And for me, that is MORE than enough reason to be a Mormon.

Posted (edited)

Okay, I saw this earlier today. We are in one of the same FB groups! I just bumped it

Edited by mtomm
Posted

Okay, I saw this earlier today. We are in one of the same FB groups! I just bumped it

 

Uh-oh... my secret identity has been compromised... lol ;)

Posted (edited)

You might be able to get me to watch General Conference if you said that every time a certain word was mentioned I have to take a drink of Lagavulin.

 

Couldn't come up with something better than Scotch? Typical Roman. I'll see your nasty scotch with Uzo.

Edited by Valentinus
Posted (edited)

This is so wonderful, and how you geared it to so many groups. I'd love to help, is there a link I missed? Oops found it!

Edited by Tacenda
Posted

Jeez, Lagavullin is too good for a drinking game.  I'd go with something peaty, but cheaper -- Laphroaig.

 

When I was a youngin and first dabbled in Scotch, I asked a bartender to give me the Scotch with the most outrageous name and pronunciation.  She gave me a tumbler full of Laphroaig and I loved it.  Cheaper, yes, but perfectly peaty.

 

Since I'm on an LDS board, I wanted to show my taste and discernment by saying Lagavulin, but I'll take Laphroaig anyday :)

Posted

Talisker for me.  18-year if you can find it (hint - not Utah).  You can double-down on your unworthiness (in the eyes of believing LDS) by enjoying a good cigar with it (e.g., Davidoff #2's)--unlike the Islays you boys cited--Laphroaig, Lagavulin--that's just too much smoke

 

But if I were looking to pair General Conference with a proper beverage--it would have to be a Tawny Port.  Sticky, sweet and strong hints of nuttiness... 

;0)

 

--Erik

 

PS.  Sorry, couldn't resist

Posted (edited)

All - it's the last day of General Conference which means it's the last day to donate to our "give a drink for conference" charitywater campaign.

 

If you've meant to and have forgotten or just haven't gotten around to it, please consider giving a few dollars. Despite a quick start, we are still well below the $1000 goal.

 

I'm linking a couple of youtube  videos so you can see just what this organization does and why and of course, the campaign link.  Thanks!

 

To donate: http://my.charitywater.org/general-conference-april-2014

 

(PS There is an anonymous button you can click if you want to donate without using your name on the public page but you will still need to input your email so that you can get your tax receipt - 100% tax deductible - which arrives in your inbox in a matter of seconds after making the donation.)

 

Scott Harrison on what he saw in Africa:

 

 

Rob Bell on Scott Harrison and CharityWater: 

Edited by mercyngrace
Posted

As I sat here listening to Elder Corbridge talk about revelation and in the wake of Elder Perry's talk about following the Spirit, I feel like I should share how this project came about. I'd been thinking long and hard about I could do two things - (1) give more compassionate service/charity and (2) share the love I feel for all my friends in the various real life and online LDS communities all along the spectrum of belief. (Yes. I really love you guys!) Early Friday morning, much too late to begin a campaign like this, I woke with a start after having had a vivid dream. I dreamt this. An invitation for friends to join in a worthy cause during General Conference weekend, while we're all brought together and so many of us are participating virtually. Was it a revelation? Only $305 short of our goal, I think it must have been. Thanks to all who have contributed and those yet to contribute. I love my faith community (those who are in, those who are out, and those who are hanging on by a thread). You make this world a better place!

Posted

Leave it up for a few days for those of us watching conference late. :)

Posted

In for $50.  The caption when I clicked "Donate Now" was a little disconcerting, "you're donating to General Conference April 2014!"  Call me naïve--but I trusted that was a typo of some sort...

;0)

 

--Erik

Posted

In for $50.  The caption when I clicked "Donate Now" was a little disconcerting, "you're donating to General Conference April 2014!"  Call me naïve--but I trusted that was a typo of some sort...

;0)

 

--Erik

 

LOL, thanks Five Solas! It's just the name I picked for the "campaign". This is the first time I've done this so I wasn't super creative. :)

Posted (edited)

I joked around a bit with drinking scotch, so I want to be serious and say that I, too, am in, and that initiatives like this always make God smile, whether they come from Mormons, or Catholics, or Buddhists, or Hindus, or Muslims, or atheists, or whomever.  God loves when His children look out for each other.

 

Thanks, mercyngrace!

 

(and though I didn't watch General Conference, I did enjoy a snifter of Laphroaig while I donated, ha!)

Edited by MiserereNobis
Posted

My parents and I played an actual Drinking Game during General Conference, swilling root beer (and occasionally burping) every time President Monson used a triplet.  It was fun! ;)

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...