Seriously No Politics ×

Ken Live Blogs 192nd Semiannual General Conference

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the Twelve

• If the Savior were here right now, what would he say to you

• He would express His Love for you

• His love would fill your whole soul

• The Savior would reassure us: “Let not your heart be troubled”; “Fear not, doubt not”

• Christ took our sins upon Himself so that we could repent

• We have covenanted with Him when we were baptized and those covenants are renewed each time we partake of the Sacrament

• With Christ’s help, there are no limits to what we can accomplish

• We are Sons and Daughters of God

• Christ wants us to inherit all we have; it is why we are here on earth

• Our destiny, our future, our choice is to become like our Heavenly Father and like our Savior

• But … we … must … choose

• Mortal life clouds our vision so we don’t always see things as clearly as we would like

• Does good seem evil, and evil seem good?

• We must remember who we are and why we are here, and we must trust God

• “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me”

• Christ and the Restored Gospel are the best choice and the best answer

• They who wait upon the Lord will be renewed

• For the Strength of Youth* is an invaluable guide: Subtitle – “A Guide for Making Choices”

• FTSOY* points us to Him; it reminds us who we are and who He is

• FTSOY* doesn’t make decisions for you: It focuses on the foundation for choices, on values, principles, and doctrines

• Come Follow Me and FTSOY* are similar: They have similar goals, to bring their users to Christ

• Joseph Smith: “I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves”

• “Watch yourselves, your thoughts, your words, and your deeds …”

• We should focus less on rules than on the Savior

• When our greatest desire is to let God prevail in our lives, many decisions become easier: We know what we want to accomplish, and what kind of person we want to become

• If the Savior were standing here, he would express His confidence in you and His love for you

Edited by Kenngo1969

Sister Tracy Y. Browning, 2nd Counselor Primary General Presidency

• Are our tent doors open and directed in direction of the prophets?

• Just as glasses help us to focus, so, too, the Savior helps us to focus most on what’s important

• As we seek the spirit, we will be able to see “things as they really are, and things as they really will be

• Sacrament, the spirit, prayer, and the Savior can be a compass that helps guide us through the storms of life

• Nothing invites the Spirit more than focusing on Jesus Christ

• Jesus is the purpose of our focus and the intent of our destination

• As we see more through Him, we will see more of Him

• Jesus Christ is the source of redemption and salvation

• Scribes and Pharisees accused He who gave the law of breaking it

• Yesterday, sacrifice was required; today, Sacrament is required

• We submit our will to Christ because He submitted His will to the Father

• “Come and see, come and help, come and stay, come and belong”

• Do we engage in the outward performances without allowing them to change the inward vessel?

• As we allow Him to direct us in all things, we receive testimony that all things denote that there is a God

Elder Rafael E. Pino of the Seventy

• Certain customs and traditions can help us stay on the covenant path

• If a custom or tradition cannot help us stay on the covenant path, we should forsake it

• If we really want to embrace a new normal, we should turn our souls to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ: Let that be our “new normal”

• The “normal” things of life should be those that keep us on the covenant path

• “If there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things”

• What should be normal customs and traditions for a member of the Church of Jesus Christ

• Personal and family scripture study

• Personal and family prayer

• Weekly sacrament meeting attendance

• Participate frequently in Temple worship and ordinances for our ancestors

• “Steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works”

• “Embrace your new normal by repenting daily”; “Magnify your callings”; “Live each day so you are more prepared to meet your maker”

• “And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness”

Elder Hugo Montoya of the Seventy

• Elder Montoya offered to shovel snow from in front of his neighbor’s house. His neighbor had a snowblower, so his neighbor removed snow from in front of his own house, then offered to remove snow from in front of Elder Montoya’s house. Elder Montoya accepted.

• When we make mistakes and commit sins, the plan provides a Savior so that we can return to the presence of God

• God answers prayers according to His Infinite Mercy

• Happiness does not depend on circumstances, but on our attitude toward our circumstances

• Happiness has nothing to do with the circumstances of our lives, and everything to do with the purpose of our lives

• Heavenly Father is there for each of His children

• “This is my work and my glory: to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man”

• “If it be possible, let this cup pass from me. Nevertheless, not as I will, but as Thou wilt”

Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Twelve

• “This Day” is used repeatedly in the Book of Mormon

• At General Conference, we come to hear counsel for “This Day”

• We must renew our commitment to the Book of Mormon

• He held up a 1970 edition of the Book of Mormon: Despite the fact that it is worn, it is most important to him

• Read the Book of Mormon

• Highlight every passage that testifies of Christ

• The Book of Mormon applies to “This Day”

• Elder Renlund became a Book of Mormon missionary and a disciple of Jesus Christ

• “Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testify should come into the world. I am the light and the life of the world.”

• President Nelson gave a copy of the Book of Mormon to an African King: “Nothing is more precious to me than this additional knowledge of Jesus Christ”

• The Book of Mormon can “Heal restore strengthen succor and console our souls”

• President Nelson is doing all he can to “flood the earth with the Book of Mormon”; we must follow his lead

• “The fullness of the Gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple to the ends of the earth”

• When we hand them a Book of Mormon, we are opening their minds and hearts to the word of God

• We must reach out to those who have been “kept from the truth only because they know not where to find it”

• The Book of Mormon contains “good tidings of great joy”

Posted in error, alas!  A thousand pardons!

Edited by Kenngo1969

President Russell M. Nelson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ

• No matter what happens in our lives, the greatest strength comes from the Lord

• With the dedication of each new temple, additional godly power comes into the world to counteract the influence of the Adversary

• Any form of abuse is an abomination to the Lord

• The Lord grieves, and the Prophet grieves, for anyone who falls victim of abuse

• Those guilty of abuse will face the wrath of Almighty God

• Each of us must be alert to anyone who may be being abused

• The Savior does not tolerate abuse, and neither do His servants

• More information makes it more challenging to ferret out what is true and what is not—and, I might add, to ferret out what is most important and what is less so

• Whatever “truths” might be “relative,” some truths are absolute

• The Church of Jesus Christ embraces all truth that God conveys to His children

Saturday Afternoon Session 

President Russell M. Nelson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ

• No matter what happens in our lives, the greatest strength comes from the Lord

• With the dedication of each new temple, additional godly power comes into the world to counteract the influence of the Adversary

• Any form of abuse is an abomination to the Lord

• The Lord grieves, and the Prophet grieves, for anyone who falls victim of abuse

• Those guilty of abuse will face the wrath of Almighty God

• Each of us must be alert to anyone who may be being abused

• The Savior does not tolerate abuse, and neither do His servants

• More information makes it more challenging to ferret out what is true and what is not—and, I might add, to ferret out what is most important and what is less so

• Whatever “truths” might be “relative,” some truths are absolute

• The Church of Jesus Christ embraces all truth that God conveys to His children

Sorry.  I'm a little discombobulated.  Anybody remember who the first speaker Saturday Afternoon was?  I forgot to put a 'dividing" notation in my notes! :o :shok:<_< 

12 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Thank you!!!!! We had a wedding this weekend and could not watch. These notes were wonderful.

Welcome! :friends:  (I hope the wedding was delightful! :D)

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

• Church of Jesus Christ considers Christ’s atoning sacrifice … the ultimate expression of Divine Love in God’s plan

• Everything else is simply an appendage to the Atonement. —Joseph Smith

• “For this cause, I have been lifted up”

• Though we don’t emphasize the cross, still, we respect those who do

• Many of Christ’s early followers chose to not emphasize the cross, because they wished not to focused on His death

• We wish to focus on Christ’s resurrection, in addition to his crucifixion and death

• There are pictures in the Temple of Christ on the cross and his appearance to Mary

• “The lives of our people must be the symbol of our faith.” —Gordon B. Hinckley

• “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me”

• The crosses we bear are more important than the ones we wear

• A true Christian cannot follow Christ only in those matters with which he agrees

• We all have our crosses to bear: Singles yearn to be married, many fight mental illness, parents care for disabled children, those in poverty struggle to get out, those who wrestle with matters of gender, identity, and sexuality

• There is a cost to discipleship

• “I will not offer unto the Lord my God that which doth cost me nothing”

• The weight of our challenges should make us more empathetic to the burdens being carried by others

• Everyone in the human family is not only welcome, but invited into his redeeming embrace

• The marvelous conclusion to our personal via dolorosa is that the blessings we seek will come

• However dark the path and however heavy the cross, we must continue to follow Him

Edited by Kenngo1969