Seriously No Politics ×

What About Those "good" R-Rated Movies?

What about movies you allow to be shown at a church activity or if your children have a bunch of member friends over. My standard for any church activity is general, no swearing and no sexuality. A bit tough, but I have found it easier simply not to allow movies at any church function. When friends are over, I have my kids let the parents know before hand the movies we may be watching. I have one family who is strongly opposed to Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, for example.

Since it is a public activity, in the States one shouldn't be showing commercial movies at church activities.

Since it is a public activity, in the States one shouldn't be showing commercial movies at church activities.

In Canada it is only if you are charging for it I believe. But I suspect that thousands of wards have youth gatherings on a Friday night where they throw in a movie. 

See, I loved Se7en because I thought it was about trying to do good even in the most horrible circumstances. Children of Men is absolutely amazing and moral and life-affirming, but it's certainly not decorous. So is The Fountain. So is Braveheart. Training Day. The Machinist. Donnie Darko. Fight Club. Trainspotting. Amelie. Saving Private Ryan. The Painted Veil. The Prestige. Sunshine. The Last King Of Scotland. Blood Diamond. Etc., etc..

The thing is, if we accurately filmed the Bible, it would be NC-17 at least. And we're told to "search into and contemplate the 
lowest considerations of the darkest abyss", and bring the hidden things in the darkness to light. Though some art might be dark, that's because it's creating a contrast by which to show light

Porky's !!!! No, really. I get a pass because I watched it when I was young and didn't know any better. Not now. :)

Porky's is trash... I only saw the first part and turned it off...

GG

See, I loved Se7en because I thought it was about trying to do good even in the most horrible circumstances. Children of Men is absolutely amazing and moral and life-affirming, but it's certainly not decorous. So is The Fountain. So is Braveheart. Training Day. The Machinist. Donnie Darko. Fight Club. Trainspotting. Amelie. Saving Private Ryan. The Painted Veil. The Prestige. Sunshine. The Last King Of Scotland. Blood Diamond. Etc., etc..

The thing is, if we accurately filmed the Bible, it would be NC-17 at least. And we're told to "search into and contemplate the 
lowest considerations of the darkest abyss", and bring the hidden things in the darkness to light. Though some art might be dark, that's because it's creating a contrast by which to show light.

Well you know I love ya but I disagree.

There is no need to put that stuff into your brain. I didn't even link to the wikipedia on Se7en because it was so disgusting. That is fair warning to anyone who wants to do so.

And where does it say this?

And we're told to "search into and contemplate the 
lowest considerations of the darkest abyss", and bring the hidden things in the darkness to light.

Edited by mfbukowski

Ok found it

The things of God 
are of deep import, and time and experience and careful and ponderous and solemn thoughts can only 
find them out. Thy mind, O Man, if thou wilt lead a soul 
unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost Heavens, and search into and contemplate the 
lowest considerations of the darkest abyss, and expand upon the broad considerations of eternal 
expanse; he must commune with God. How much more dignified and noble are the thoughts of God, 
than the vain imaginations of the human heart, none but fools will trifle with the souls of 
men (History of the Church, vol. 3, p. 295).

I don't see that as an endorsement of R or X rated movies- I think he is talking about "leading a soul unto salvation" who has experienced those things- not that we need to experience them ourselves

I used to own a gallery in which an artist or two displayed stuff I will not even  describe on this forum today.  It would have made Mapplethorpe blush.  But now I see that as totally degrading to the divinity of man.  I can see your point, but I really do disagree.  We don't need to go there.

Edited by mfbukowski

Thanks- and that shows the context.  Note the next paragraph when he speaks about even our conferences being too vulgar.

Edited by mfbukowski

Yes, well I have a past. I was young.

Don't we all and weren't we all?

Ok found it

I don't see that as an endorsement of R or X rated movies- I think he is talking about "leading a soul unto salvation" who has experienced those things- not that we need to experience them ourselves

I used to own a gallery in which an artist or two displayed stuff I will not even  describe on this forum today.  It would have made Mapplethorpe blush.  But now I see that as totally degrading to the divinity of man.  I can see your point, but I really do disagree.  We don't need to go there.

I don't believe everything has to be didactic. Most of the time when I want to watch a movie. It is turn off my brain time, and just go enjoy with the movie.

I don't believe everything has to be didactic. Most of the time when I want to watch a movie. It is turn off my brain time, and just go enjoy with the movie.

That's what I do here.  ;)  To me, this is a video game.

But I don't read fiction and I don't play other games, I have never been into team sports, so my recreation is arguing religion with people, and exercising.  Pretty much all I read is philosophy and science magazines.  Most movies bore me or I am too busy looking for flaws in their logic.  I am a total nerd.

I drive my poor wife nuts but she loves me anyway.  I will never know why!   ;)

The F-bomb is a big one.

Screenwriting 101 is character dialogue should seem natural and believable.

The use of the F word is way over used to the point where it desensitizes people to how the offensive it is.

Edited by PtolemyGlenn

The F-bomb is a big one.

The use of the F word is way over used to the point where it desensitizes people to how the offensive it is.

I keep worrying we'll hear the f-bomb used like the d and s word now. But even worse, I've noticed the Lord's name is spoken of over and over in movies and pretty sure it's done in vain.

My job pretty much requires me to listen to 10-15 hours of stand-up comedy per week and the best comics tend to use at least some (if not A LOT) of profanity.  Don't get me wrong.  I think many of them would be funnier without it, but their mansions and luxury cars would seem to argue otherwise.  In any event, in BC times (Before Church), I could listen to profanity without giving it a second thought.  But now, my ears are becoming increasingly tender.  Fortunately, my sarcasm, cynicism and general contentiousness have maintained their peak levels, so all is not lost ;)

The F-bomb is a big one.

I keep worrying we'll hear the f-bomb used like the d and s word now. But even worse, I've noticed the Lord's name is spoken of over and over in movies and pretty sure it's done in vain.

I agree it is taking the Lord's name n vain.

I often feel why is this needed to be said. You see it alot in scenes of a sexual nature.

i think as adults, it really is about free agency.  i went to school for media, i.e. photography & film so i definitely agree that media does impact you, but some 'good' R-rated movies impacy you in a good way.  i cant see how the passion would be considered bad.  the Savior voluntarily did those things & for some, they need to see it like that to get the idea.  i on the other hand, prefer the bible series from the history channel for the life of the Savior..but again, just free agency & simple honesty.

for example, i knew a good priesthood holder who went out of his way to rent foreign movies that didnt have the american ratings system.  he would see all types of nudity & explicit scenes & he was perfectly fine with it.  i on the other hand, see this as a perfect example of the difference between following the spirit of the law or the letter of the law.

i personally prefer other movies to the hangover series.  doco's, nature shows, science or physics shows are all more entertaining than the dribble hollywood is putting out these days.

so with my personal power of free agency, i try to be as honest with myself & the Lord as possible.  for example, i have a medical condition that i need to take a stimulant to regulate a gland issue.  just today, i forgot to pack my meds with me as i was going to the temple.  when i realized i had forgot it, i simply stopped at a petrol station & purchased a diet coke.  we are advised to avoid caffeinated drinks.   in this instance, the diet coke became a pseudo med for me that i need to take daily.  in this instance i am following the spirit of the law.

dont get me wrong.  i do not partake of coffee or tea, because those are specifically forbidden. to double down my honesty with the Lord, i will compleetely enforce the letter of the law on myself the next time it happens.  meaning, i will turn around & get the meds at the house.  if i miss an appointment, or am late to work for this reason, then thats totally on me.

so back to the good R-rated movies, i can see a military movie with war violence perfectly fine for me as an adult to watch.  i was raised in a military family & some of the best lessons that ive learned about the gospel has been through these sorts of movies.  in the movie glory, for example, the lessons are to the brim!!  the putrid practice of slavery, the example of how one can have high character & integrity through broderick & denzels roles, the dicotomy of man through the same roles, enduring to the end, etc, etc  these are valuable lessons that fit perfectly into the gospel.  why its rated R, is anyones clue since my favorite movie of the civil war is gods & generals & it has 50 times the war violence glory has, yet its listed as pg-13!! 

which brings up another issue, which is the questionable workings of the motion picture association.  the mpa is basically a secret combination & im sure when all is revealed, we will be aghast at how they chose their ratings one way or another.