Garden Girl Posted October 7, 2012 Posted October 7, 2012 The other one that stood out was from Packer's talk, about the two lights. As he started telling his story, I became absorbed in it, like when you are reading a really good book - I realized how absorbed I had become later, when I snapped out of it and came back to seeing an old man who was now unable to stand in front of a podium... As he was telling the story, I kept wondering what he was going to liken that second light to - perhaps the upper light was that of the Father, and the lower was the light of the Son? or perhaps it would be the light of the scriptures, or the light of prayer, or of the Holy Spirit - there are so many possibilities to liken it to... When he said the light was us, it took me back a bit. That's a big responsibility.I love this story, and the Hymn No. 335 which he recited... "Brightly beams our Father's mercy, from his lighthouse evermore, but to us he gives the keeping of the lights along the shore."In other words, from Heavenly Father's "lighthouse" beams out across the waves the light of his love and mercy in the gospel... and warning of the reefs or rocks, but we must be vigilant and keep the lights burning along the shore, marking the path of safety into the harbor. The lighthouse might stand on craggy rocks where all can see its light, but we are the lights guiding into the harbor as we do our best to live the gospel and share it with others.GG 1
Duncan Posted October 7, 2012 Posted October 7, 2012 As a convert, I used to be that way with all talks that involve being sealed to your family - because as a convert, I started out not being sealed to anyone... it's personally hard to hear, but on the other hand, I wanted to shake those who had their big happy Mormon families, and tell them to wake up, and appreciate what they had.A councilor in our bishopric is divorced. He interviewed me for the temple, and asked me if I had ever been divorced, and I told him no. He looked at me with pain in his eyes - the pain of someone who understands what that question entails - and told me he hopes I would never have to experience that. His words impacted me, and have helped me within my marriage. I'm grateful that he shared a little of his pain with me.My stake president is divorced and I had a former Bishop who is back in the bishopric as a counselor now who is also divorced and one of them...makes fun of his wife in talks and I dunno what will happen in the future if she sticks around or not. Thank you for that Changed!
Cobalt-70 Posted October 7, 2012 Posted October 7, 2012 Missionary work is a priesthood responsibility, men have the priesthood - why not emphasize that?MIssionary work is not, in principle, a priesthood responsibility. "Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work." (D&C 4:3). This was written prior to the restoration of the Aaronic priesthood.
ChristLove Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 What in particular failed to convince you that we are Christians?Some of the baggage doctrine like Heavenly Mother, Brother Lucifer, or failing to understand the trinity and it's Oneness. I feel that the Mormon Church does not teach the true teachings of Christ. In a reverse of your own beliefs, Christ would say "Mormonism draws near to me with their lips but are far from me by their heart".
blackstrap Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 Oh , to be able to understand and explain the Trinity and its Oneness as preached in " Christian " churches. I believe the Catholics say it best. It is a mystery!
Saints Alive Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 .... In a reverse of your own beliefs, Christ would say "Mormonism draws near to me with their lips but are far from me by their heart". I think that shows a gross misunderstanding of that quote and it's context.
changed Posted October 8, 2012 Author Posted October 8, 2012 ...makes fun of his wife in talks ...A lot of people deal with pain by trying to make light of it, at least I have done that - either exaggerate it, or make light of it... I guess skirting the truth on either side allows us to avoid actually facing it for what it really is...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Last GC comments - my mind keeps wandering back to this scripture that was ref'd in the talk about faith.And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 88:118)I think he misquoted it in the talk, and said to learn by "reason and by faith" instead of "study and faith" but the same thing applies. I like the idea that faith is not doing something despite what our reason/studying/learning has told us, but that acting in faith is another way to learn. Hindsight is 20/20, faith turns to knowledge through experience. Also, there was a lot on the atonement - on forgiveness, and hope, and commitment to covenants. and, I think we should start a T-shirt design contest. "I am a Mormon. I believe it, I live it, I love it." - Who on here is an artist, and can make a cool design that we can all download and print on T's? 1
Duncan Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 A lot of people deal with pain by trying to make light of it, at least I have done that - either exaggerate it, or make light of it... I guess skirting the truth on either side allows us to avoid actually facing it for what it really is...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Last GC comments - my mind keeps wandering back to this scripture that was ref'd in the talk about faith.And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 88:118)I think he misquoted it in the talk, and said to learn by "reason and by faith" instead of "study and faith" but the same thing applies. I like the idea that faith is not doing something despite what our reason/studying/learning has told us, but that acting in faith is another way to learn. Hindsight is 20/20, faith turns to knowledge through experience.Also, there was a lot on the atonement - on forgiveness, and hope, and commitment to covenants.and, I think we should start a T-shirt design contest. "I am a Mormon. I believe it, I live it, I love it." - Who on here is an artist, and can make a cool design that we can all download and print on T's?they make fun of their current wife!
Calm Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 I can practically guarantee someone has already done it. If you livening Utah you would have noticed forget me nots coming out of our ears after that talk. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few entrepreneurs whose main purpose in watching GC is to gather new ideas for products (yes, I am a cynic on this after having seen what people try to get sold at church bookstores.
Calm Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 they make fun of their current wife!Not a wise thing unless their wife has told them they love the attention. I suppose there might be someone out there who likes that kind of treatment.
volgadon Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 Some of the baggage doctrine like Heavenly Mother, Brother Lucifer, or failing to understand the trinity and it's Oneness. I feel that the Mormon Church does not teach the true teachings of Christ. In a reverse of your own beliefs, Christ would say "Mormonism draws near to me with their lips but are far from me by their heart". I meant in this particular conference.I don't feel that the protestant world teaches all the true teachings of Christ, yet Christians they indisputably are. 1
rpn Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 For those who heard Elder Oaks talk with pain, I hope you stayed through the talks on the atonement, which can heal that pain. 1
changed Posted October 8, 2012 Author Posted October 8, 2012 I can practically guarantee someone has already done it. If you livening Utah you would have noticed forget me nots coming out of our ears after that talk. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few entrepreneurs whose main purpose in watching GC is to gather new ideas for products (yes, I am a cynic on this after having seen what people try to get sold at church bookstores.well, here's my non-priest craft free version for anyone to download if they want it. I'm not an artist, I stole the image off Google, and I changed from "know" to "believe", but that is what I feel comfortable wearing, and if anyone else likes it, they can use it too.
Sky Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 Was very interesting to watch. I won't go as far as agreeing it is a Christian Church, but I do not agree that it is a dangerous cult. Fascinating stuff.We see our Church as a restoration of the ancient church that Christ established - built upon a foundation of prophets and apostles. Christ is the center of our faith. I hope you were able to get a sense of this in at least some small way from listening to the talks.
DBMormon Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 Choir's singing of "Hope of Israel" was awesomeElder Holland's Talk was awesome - directed to me in a way that helped me see some choices I have made were good but there is a need to push forward and keep going.Elder Eyring's talk on the Lord's Pavillion was inspiring.Felt bad for Elder Hales who found himself using Elder Holland's same material, though it was good to get the other side of that story as well.
Glenn101 Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 I, for one, can always find something that I need to hear. And not just one something. Elder Hollands talk resonated with me on several different levels. His expansion of the conversation that Christ had with Peter when the Savior repeatedly asked Peter if he loved Him. I am pretty sure that Peter wearied of the Savior wearing him out with this one theme over and over. But, there was a point to be made, and eventually Peter "got it".We do not hear a lot of new stuff in general conference. No new doctrine has been announced in decades. New policies are announced as they come into being. General leadership positions are vacated and filled. But most of the talks concern things that we have heard over and over before, for the long time members. But maybe not so for the new converts. If there was not a need for that repetition, it would not be there. If the membership really "got it" we would not need to hear it. As Christ said "They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick." (Matthew 9:12)Of course all of us do not need everything that is said, but it does not hurt to hear it maybe repackaged in a new light or insight. Again, I point to Elder Holland's talk.I am not talking about anyone else here but myself. I need to listen more intently to the talks and not doze off. I really don't have an excuse at home, because I have a set of phones to compensate for my badly deteriorated hearing and I can understand most of what is being said.The point about he Lord not remembering sins that have been repented of and forgiven was especially on point for me. I find myself all too often tormenting myself for past failures that I have repented of, but have not forgotten. Of course, I need to be vigilant not to return to any of the vices I repented of, but I also need to let go of them and move on at a faster pace.And then, there is the advice to become the "manner of men" that we ought to be. Like Christ. I need to work on that. And I forget way to easily. It does not hurt to hear a general authority call upon me to live a more Christ like life. Lest I forget.Glenn 1
Calm Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 Even if the substance of a talk does not catch us up, I look on it as an opportunity to get to know the speaker better, find out what is important to them, hear about their lives. If we are expecting to spend eternity with each other, I think we need to find a variety of reasons for listening and being interested in each other because eventually we may run out of new topics to talk about so we better find other reasons to enjoy talking with others.
Antoni Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 Even if the substance of a talk does not catch us up, I look on it as an opportunity to get to know the speaker better, find out what is important to them, hear about their lives. If we are expecting to spend eternity with each other, I think we need to find a variety of reasons for listening and being interested in each other because eventually we may run out of new topics to talk about so we better find other reasons to enjoy talking with others.Good advice.I've only managed to watch first two talks this GC, but my wife and I will be working our way through them over the coming days.Elder Cooks talk about husbands being accountable for every tear they cause their wive's and children was especially sobering.
Rivers Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 (edited) Duplicate Edited October 8, 2012 by Rivers
Rivers Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 (edited) While many conference talks are sleepers, I find that if I have the patience to sit through all of conference I can find a lot of gems. My favorite talks were Ballard's talk about the 1/12 teaspoon of honey, Oak's talk about children, uchdorf's talk about finding joy in the journey, and Holland's talk about getting off your butt and applying what you have learned from spiritual experiences. Some things are worth it even if I had to sit through the worst possible combination of Elder Scott talking about family history. Edited October 8, 2012 by Rivers
bluebell Posted October 8, 2012 Posted October 8, 2012 The two opposite reactions to Elder Scott's talk on here remind me that maybe not every conference talk is meant to speak to us. When one doesn't though, that doesn't mean it was a 'bad' talk. Who knows who's answer to a prayer it has been.
Antoni Posted October 9, 2012 Posted October 9, 2012 Indeed, I think it's a bit arogant to assume every talk is for me!
Deborah Posted October 9, 2012 Posted October 9, 2012 I definitely relate to some talks more than others. I think it depends on where we are and what issues we are dealing with but it seems there is something for everyone if we listen.I was impressed with the positive messages even in our hard times, but with the admonition to continue getting our lives in order so we can let our lights shine. I know some people who think we are on the verge of complete and total breakdown and they are ready to run to the mountains, but the message in conference seemed to be not to hide but to stand and let your light shine and reach out to others.
Avatar4321 Posted October 10, 2012 Posted October 10, 2012 I too was impressed with the bluntness of the messages. It also made me realize once again how in tune the church leaders are to the issues of the day.They have to be blunt. They are called to make sure the world cannot misunderstand their message.
Recommended Posts