Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

General Conference - What Do You Think So Far?


Recommended Posts

Posted

So, first up, they changed the missionary age. Interesting that YW are not called at the same age as the YM, and that he emphasized missionary work as being more of a priesthood responsibility than something for women.

Posted

So, first up, they changed the missionary age. Interesting that YW are not called at the same age as the YM, and that he emphasized missionary work as being more of a priesthood responsibility than something for women.

Age difference seems linked demand of make military service requires in some countries.

Missionary work is a priesthood responsibility, men have the priesthood - why not emphasize that?

It is however obviously not exclusively a priesthood responsibility, other ways the ladies wouldn't get to go at all.

Posted

Uchtdorf was a rockstar as usual, but I was otherwise pretty underwhelmed. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not the right audience for most General Conference talks; my reaction is usually along the lines of Paul Toscano's. :/

Posted

There's always something we can gain from listening to General Conference if we want it and are looking for it. Elder Cook touched on a lot of things in his talk this morning (unrighteousness, apathy, unkindness, violence, sexual immorality, impure thoughts, repentance, the Atonement); and I thought President Uchtdorf's talk about how life is short and to make good choices now so we don't have regrets later was particularly apt.

Posted

Uchtdorf was a rockstar as usual, but I was otherwise pretty underwhelmed. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not the right audience for most General Conference talks; my reaction is usually along the lines of Paul Toscano's. :/

I don't know Paul Toscano. What is his reaction of which you speak?

Posted

There's always something we can gain from listening to General Conference if we want it and are looking for it. Elder Cook touched on a lot of things in his talk this morning (unrighteousness, apathy, unkindness, violence, sexual immorality, impure thoughts, repentance, the Atonement); and I thought President Uchtdorf's talk about how life is short and to make good choices now so we don't have regrets later was particularly apt.

I hope I never reach the point where I can't find something of worth that uplifts me in the various talks. And yes, Pres Uchtdorf was wonderful as usual. My sister loves him, so I called my dear inactive sister to tell her when he came on and she was already watching. Made my heart sing...

I love conference and each of today's talks have had something I could take to heart.

GG

Posted

I hope I never reach the point where I can't find something of worth that uplifts me in the various talks. And yes, Pres Uchtdorf was wonderful as usual. My sister loves him, so I called my dear inactive sister to tell her when he came on and she was already watching. Made my heart sing...

Both President and Sister Uchtdorf (Harriet) have this effect on people. It was interesting, when he was called to be an apostle. I was participating on the main German-language anti-Mormon message board at the time, and the response was very positive. This group is both more sophisticated and more vicious than the North American variety (hard to imagine, I know), and they had accused me of being an "internet missionary" sent by the Church to combat them. I pointed out that the Church would certainly have sent a native speaker to do that, instead of me.

I was shocked (and pleased) to hear positive testimonial after testimonial about the Uchtdorfs, most from his tenure as Mannheim stake president. The best one was a woman who said that "Hinckley" and the others know for a fact that it's all a fraud, but Uchtdorf "really believes it. All of it. He really does." The Uchtdorfs have had a huge impact on both people friendly to and unfriendly to the Church, and they temper and blunt the edges of those who are bitter and hostile. I think you can sense this effect and way in how many people regard him as one of their top two Conference speakers.

Posted

So, first up, they changed the missionary age. Interesting that YW are not called at the same age as the YM, and that he emphasized missionary work as being more of a priesthood responsibility than something for women.

There's nothing new about that. Missionary service has always been regarded as optional for women and more-or-less obligatory for priesthood holders.

If anything, I noted an unusually affirmative tone on this matter when President Monson declared that the missionary service of women is "welcome."

Posted

I was shocked (and pleased) to hear positive testimonial after testimonial about the Uchtdorfs, most from his tenure as Mannheim stake president. The best one was a woman who said that "Hinckley" and the others know for a fact that it's all a fraud, but Uchtdorf "really believes it. All of it. He really does."

I suspect that nationalism influences that attitude to some degree.

Posted
I don't know Paul Toscano. What is his reaction of which you speak?

Paul Toscano? Married to Margaret, part of the September Six?

I don't agree with some of the theology he presented when he was still active (namely, the spots where it got more fundamentalist with a heavy dose of Adam-God, though I do very much appreciate that he believed the Holy Spirit of Wisdom was female), but I gotta agree with some of his criticism in his Mormon Stories interview that there is often little to distinguish the teachings during a modern LDS General Conference from any other Protestant meeting.

Personally, I don't find the Traditional Christian paradigm to even approach the power of (so-called) "Nauvoo-Era" Mormonism, and it's rather disheartening that we don't seem to emphasize the more unique aspects of the Restoration and how that paradigm can be used to deal with our challenges. I think the LDS paradigm of Uncreated Intelligence & Element, Eternal Progression, the Divine Council, Heavenly Mother/Female Divinity, etc. (essentially the apotheosis of the best aspects of Humanism), has the potential to radically revolutionize the world and cause "wars and contentions to cease" by "gather[ing] all the good and true principles of the world and treasuring them up", etc., but it just seems ... buried, from my perspective. Muted in favor of Traditional Christian platitudes and lackluster faith-promoting stories.

My personal experience, then, is that I haven't found GC talks to be particularly inspired or inspiring of late, but as I said, I'm probably just not part of the right audience, since others seem to be getting an awful lot out of what are, to me, not particularly interesting talks. I mean, some people are treating the announcement of the change in missionary age like it was another Sermon in the Grove? I don't get it. There are, to me, far more pressing concerns, and more interesting solutions to be found in the Restoration.

Posted (edited)

If anything, I noted an unusually affirmative tone on this matter when President Monson declared that the missionary service of women is "welcome."

You know how you are always supposed to go to conference with questions, and then listen for answers? Well, I have a list for this one, among which is to better understand the role of women within the church, and if that role will be changing at all. I make it a point to be content with whatever answers await me - I just want to be sure I am up to date with what I'm supposed to be doing. (Some of the Mormon.org messages seemed to be celebrating career gals.) Seemed to me there was a huge emphasis on families, and taking care of - perhaps not only our own children, but doing some welfare work for other children as well, so that was my answer on that account.

It is very sad to hear the stats on families breaking down, and hearing about so many kids who are in trouble..

Edited by changed
Posted

My personal experience, then, is that I haven't found GC talks to be particularly inspired or inspiring of late, but as I said, I'm probably just not part of the right audience, since others seem to be getting an awful lot out of what are, to me, not particularly interesting talks.

Jeremy,

One thing to keep in mind is that general conference is a message to the world, not just believing church members. That our most basic doctrines and teachings are presented in conference is, I think, to be expected given the wider audience. It's a missionary opportunity on a grand scale and a call to wayward and wandering members as much as a meeting for the faithful.

I mean, some people are treating the announcement of the change in missionary age like it was another Sermon in the Grove? I don't get it. There are, to me, far more pressing concerns, and more interesting solutions to be found in the Restoration.

I am a little surprised by the reaction as well. I'll have to listen to the announcement again but I didn't hear it presented as a revelation by Pres. Monson, only as a matter of policy based on the success of similar policies in certain other countries. It struck me as similar to the move to a three hour block after success with the pilot programs.

Of course, I'm not a 19 year old girl. If I were, this would have been a most thrilling change. I was in countdown mode from the day I turned 20. Couldn't wait to submit my papers. Couldn't check the mail often enough while waiting for my call. To be honest though, once you get a few more decades under your belt, the difference between 19 and 21 seems fairly insignificant.

Posted

Jeremy,

One thing to keep in mind is that general conference is a message to the world, not just believing church members. That our most basic doctrines and teachings are presented in conference is, I think, to be expected given the wider audience. It's a missionary opportunity on a grand scale and a call to wayward and wandering members as much as a meeting for the faithful.

Really? Then why doesn't the church use it's vast resources to pay to have General Conference broadcast to a wider audience? Not just the interwebs, but network television? Or why aren't the missionaries knocking on my door inviting me to General Conference? They know where I live, I am friendly, I don't bite...

I think you may be preaching an ideal that doesn't exist.

Posted (edited)

Really? Then why doesn't the church use it's vast resources to pay to have General Conference broadcast to a wider audience? Not just the interwebs, but network television? Or why aren't the missionaries knocking on my door inviting me to General Conference? They know where I live, I am friendly, I don't bite...

I think you may be preaching an ideal that doesn't exist.

It's possible I have a mistaken idea, Grimace, wouldn't be the first time.

I got that impression because there are talks which specifically address listening non-members. Elder Oaks' talk today was an example of that if I'm remembering it correctly.

eta:I think this was the ideal Pres. Hinckley envisioned when, referencing the conference center, he said "in this great hall... the voices of prophets will go out to all the world in testimony of the Redeemer of mankind."

Edited by mercyngrace
Posted

Really? Then why doesn't the church use it's vast resources to pay to have General Conference broadcast to a wider audience? Not just the interwebs, but network television? Or why aren't the missionaries knocking on my door inviting me to General Conference? They know where I live, I am friendly, I don't bite...

I think you may be preaching an ideal that doesn't exist.

not even the churches resources reach that far. What network could they possible afford to broadcast for 6 hours?
Posted

So, first up, they changed the missionary age. Interesting that YW are not called at the same age as the YM, and that he emphasized missionary work as being more of a priesthood responsibility than something for women.

I have enjoyed it very much...good talks and good topics. I love the simplistity of it all.
Posted

I've been Mormon less than 1 year, so perhaps I do not understand some issues.

The reaffirmed that Marriage is for a male and a female. That is not a surprise and is welcome. I wonder how the church will react to the new law in California?

I was surprised that it seemed that women were de-emphasised in Missionary work. This was a surprise to me. When I started visiting with Missionaries, it was women, and I have to say that if men had shown up, that would have been the end of it for me, such was my opinion of Men at the time. Now, I have a good relationship with men, but not then.

Posted
I was surprised that it seemed that women were de-emphasised in Missionary work. This was a surprise to me. When I started visiting with Missionaries, it was women, and I have to say that if men had shown up, that would have been the end of it for me, such was my opinion of Men at the time. Now, I have a good relationship with men, but not then.

They aren't de-emphisiesed its just that there isn;t the same divine mandate for women to serve as there is for men due to the priesthood. As Pres. Monson said their service is very welcome and they do a great service.

Posted

I was surprised that it seemed that women were de-emphasised in Missionary work.

I curious why you think that. The fact that the age for women was also dropped means I think that we will in fact see more sister missionaries.

Posted

Uchtdorf was a rockstar as usual, but I was otherwise pretty underwhelmed. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not the right audience for most General Conference talks; my reaction is usually along the lines of Paul Toscano's. :/

Did you do the Priesthood session? It was pretty good (and I will admit to taking a couple of naps during the first few speakers), but the last three speakers were all three members of the First Presidency, and by the time President Monson said Amen I was ready to dub them the First Triumvirate. The Spirit was so powerful that I almost cannot remember any of their words (except for Pres. Uchtdorf, who talked about airplanes again). As I said in another thread, that does it for me. I will be listening to the remaining two sessions, but for me Conference is over, because nothing could top that. That was amazing.

Posted

ive liked the talks. I thought Elder Balland's and Elder Hawk's were extremely good.

I find we get what we prepare ourselves for.

Elder Hawk's was outstanding. Of course, being somewhat Native American myself it couldn't but resonate somewhat.

Posted (edited)

Both President and Sister Uchtdorf (Harriet) have this effect on people. It was interesting, when he was called to be an apostle. I was participating on the main German-language anti-Mormon message board at the time, and the response was very positive. This group is both more sophisticated and more vicious than the North American variety (hard to imagine, I know), and they had accused me of being an "internet missionary" sent by the Church to combat them. I pointed out that the Church would certainly have sent a native speaker to do that, instead of me.

I was shocked (and pleased) to hear positive testimonial after testimonial about the Uchtdorfs, most from his tenure as Mannheim stake president. The best one was a woman who said that "Hinckley" and the others know for a fact that it's all a fraud, but Uchtdorf "really believes it. All of it. He really does." The Uchtdorfs have had a huge impact on both people friendly to and unfriendly to the Church, and they temper and blunt the edges of those who are bitter and hostile. I think you can sense this effect and way in how many people regard him as one of their top two Conference speakers.

I gather you served your mission in Germany? If so, where and when? Me = Germany Central (Duesseldorf) 1972-74.

Edited by Stargazer
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...