Seriously No Politics ×

I heard an interesting theory last night -- that Mitt Romney ordered the coffee ice cream as a means of subtly communicating that he is not controlled by the church. I'm curious what your take is on this? Possible? If so, what do you think of this tactic?

I heard an interesting theory last night -- that Mitt Romney ordered the coffee ice cream as a means of subtly communicating that he is not controlled by the church. I'm curious what your take is on this? Possible? If so, what do you think of this tactic?

I think the pharisees are alive and well.

Romney is more honest than what you propose. I assume that he ordered coffee ice cream because he likes it and eating it does not conflict with his understanding of the WofW.

I agree that this theory may be over complicating his motives.

I agree that this theory may be over complicating his motives.

People do that to often, don't they? We think we know the motivations of others, when all we really know is our own heart. We learn more about ourselves when we review the way we perceive others. Romney is not nearly so calculating as this "tactic" assumes. It is why I can think of nothing else other than he likes coffee ice cream.

I'm not sure why Mitt enjoyed some coffee ice cream.....maybe because it is absolutely delicious?

However, I chuckle at the indignation that some people have towards the original poster's premise; one reply states that Mitt is just "more honest" than that, that the "pharisees" are alive and well with this type of notion, or that Mitt is not as "calculating" as the original poster assumes.

This is a man representing an entire political party in a race for the most powerful position on the planet. He has the weight of the party, the weight of the conservative movement and the weight of the country's future on his shoulders.

To think that there is no chance that Mitt would use such a simple, subtle manuever to show that he is not completely controlled by the church (a valid concern among voters), to me, shows one's lack of understanding of the political machinery and mechanisms that drive presidential elections.

I am not suggesting that the coffee ice cream was anything more than a tasty treat on a hot day. However, to outright dismiss the tactic proposed by the original poster displays a lack of understanding of the true machinations of presidential elections in this country.

I'm not sure why Mitt enjoyed some coffee ice cream.....maybe because it is absolutely delicious?

However, I chuckle at the indignation that some people have towards the original poster's premise; one reply states that Mitt is just "more honest" than that, that the "pharisees" are alive and well with this type of notion, or that Mitt is not as "calculating" as the original poster assumes.

This is a man representing an entire political party in a race for the most powerful position on the planet. He has the weight of the party, the weight of the conservative movement and the weight of the country's future on his shoulders.

To think that there is no chance that Mitt would use such a simple, subtle manuever to show that he is not completely controlled by the church (a valid concern among voters), to me, shows one's lack of understanding of the political machinery and mechanisms that drive presidential elections.

I am not suggesting that the coffee ice cream was anything more than a tasty treat on a hot day. However, to outright dismiss the tactic proposed by the original poster displays a lack of understanding of the true machinations of presidential elections in this country.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. (Sigmund Freud)

Edited by ERayR

Probably not. We need to remember that there are many saints in good ol' Mass that may look down on him if he had such a motive. It also may not be against the word of wisdom since ice cream is not a hot drink. The same would hold true for coffee cream in chocolate.

Isn't there a rule against having more than one thread about coffee ice cream at a time?

I think the pharisees are alive and well.

No kidding!

For me, coffee ice cream is just about the greatest thing in life! Especially mixed with chocolate ice cream.

My wife and I absolutely love coffee ice cream, and it never occurred to us even once that it was a violation of the word of wisdom. Frankly, I think anyone who believes coffee ice cream is against the WoW is just a little bit on the crazy side of nuts.

Yeah, I am less interested in diving into any moral implications regarding the word of wisdom. I think that was well covered in the previous thread. I'm more curious about the idea that this could have been a deliberate move to communicate a specific message. And if this is the case (a big if), then thoughts on this as a tactic.

No kidding!

For me, coffee ice cream is just about the greatest thing in life! Especially mixed with chocolate ice cream.

My wife and I absolutely love coffee ice cream, and it never occurred to us even once that it was a violation of the word of wisdom. Frankly, I think anyone who believes coffee ice cream is against the WoW is just a little bit on the crazy side of nuts.

I think that feels a little like justification. Ice Cream Coffee has both Coffee (directly from the bean) and contains just as much caffeine. Frankly I think anyone who believes coffee ice cream is NOT against the WoW is just a bit on the crazy side of nuts.

I think that feels a little like justification. Ice Cream Coffee has both Coffee (directly from the bean) and contains just as much caffeine. Frankly I think anyone who believes coffee ice cream is NOT against the WoW is just a bit on the crazy side of nuts.

:lol:

Yeah, Patricia Holland and I are real sinners!

You're not serious, are you?

No kidding!

I am out of points already. Calmoriah got the last one. Personally I think it is bad tasting stuff, but then what do I know.

Yeah, I am less interested in diving into any moral implications regarding the word of wisdom. I think that was well covered in the previous thread. I'm more curious about the idea that this could have been a deliberate move to communicate a specific message. And if this is the case (a big if), then thoughts on this as a tactic.

Read my post # 9.

The ban is against coffee. Using your logic, Campaign Ice Cream is perfectly fine too, even though it contains a lot of Alcohol.

So, apparently you are serious. Wow! Phariseeism IS alive and well in Mormonism. Of course, I already knew that. I just didn't know it extended to, of all things, coffee ice cream!

So, should Sister Holland and I turn in our temple recommends? :lol:

So, apparently you are serious. Wow! Phariseeism IS alive and well in Mormonism. Of course, I already knew that. I just didn't know it extended to, of all things, coffee ice cream!

So, should Sister Holland and I turn in our temple recommends? :lol:

That's between her and her Bishop. This has nothing to do with Phariseeism or anything silly like that. It has to do with being honest. If my family asked if Ice Cream Coffee was against the WoW, I'd say coffee was banned, so hiding it in Ice Cream changes nothing.

I think it's legalistic, the craziness that as LDS we are having these conversations. I read somewhere that one of the signs of a cult is to tell it's members what not to eat or drink. So we need to get away from this idea. It feels cultish when we are arguing over Ice cream with coffee bean.

Does anyone know if the mormon pioneers packed coffee and tea on their wagons/carts?