Tattoos Of Regret

BCSpace

Peaches Geldof: Why was I allowed to have tattoos aged 14?

Bob Geldof has been criticised in the past, often unfairly, for the louche activities of some of his children. Now, his daughter Peaches seems to have questioned the rock singer’s parenting skills.

The 22-year-old television presenter says she wishes that she had been dissuaded from covering her body with “art” work. “Fourteen-year-old girls should not be allowed to have tattoos,” she tells Mandrake. “The ones I have from that age are more like prison tattoos.”

Peaches - whose mother, Paula Yates, died of an accidental heroin overdose - adds: “I recently came to the conclusion that I regret every single tattoo I’ve ever had done. I have so many bad tattoos. Some of them I look at now and find them horrendous. If I could graft a completely new skin for myself, I would.”

So, they're ok for 14 year old boys? :)

What does age of accountability mean? You're only accountable for the things your parents let you do?

14 years old was old enough to make a decision about being sealed to the Prophet, but too young to make a decision about a tattoo?

I have no tattoos. I've thought about it in the past, but I'm not really into pain. Is there a commandment forbidding tattooing?

I have a tattoo on my ankle, and regret it...

At the time that I got it, I was inactive, and did not ever picture myself going back to church, or to the Temple... Now, when I am at church, I feel uncomfortable showing it... In the winter, I wear dark hose, or dress boots... In the summer, I wear a band aid over it, of cover it with make up... I also have a couple of very cute sun dresses, that are breezy, and ankel length...

The really cool thing is that no one in my Branch judges me, or has made any comments... It is not because others judge that I am self concious about it... It just does not fit my personality any more...

If money were no object, I would have it removed... And, of course, I do not judge anyone else with a tattoo...

Silver Girl

PS. The tattoo is a small, female Tazmanian Devil with red lipstick and a hair bow... Just in case you wondered... LOL

I don't see how this post got two points.

14 years old was old enough to make a decision about being sealed to the Prophet, but too young to make a decision about a tattoo?

There is a difference between marraige and a tattoo, hopefully both can receive counseling from a wise parent. And the glib remark about a 14 year old being sealed to the prophet was unnecessary.
Is there a commandment forbidding tattooing?

Yes there is. From both the Old Testament and modern day. Now I do not judge anyone who has had a tattoo, my father has many, however he did not grow up learning council from the scriptures nor from our current prophets.

I am against them, although many find them artistic and I am one. I as a businessman do not like my employees to have them and if they do I require them to be covered up because they go into homes of customers, and I do not want my customers to feel uncomfortable. Many people connect tattoos to gangs and prison life, this is one reason I have my employees who have them cover them up.

Edited by Anijen

So, they're ok for 14 year old boys? :)

I have no tattoos. I've thought about it in the past, but I'm not really into pain. Is there a commandment forbidding tattooing?

Do you mean apart from the very clear direction given by President Gordon B. Hinckley and other Church leaders?

“I promise you that the time will come, if you have tattoos, that you will regret your actions. They cannot be washed off. They are permanent. Only by an expensive and painful process can they be removed. If you are tattooed, then probably for the remainder of your life you will carry it with you. I believe the time will come when it will be an embarrassment to you. Avoid it. We, as your Brethren who love you, plead with you not to become so disrespectful of the body which the Lord has given you.” President Gordon B. Hinckley, “A Prophet’s Counsel and Prayer for Youth,” Liahona, Apr. 2001, 37.
Edited by Scott Lloyd

I don't see how this post got two points.

There is a difference between marraige and a tattoo, hopefully both can receive counseling from a wise parent. And the glib remark about a 14 year old being sealed to the prophet was unnecessary.

Yes there is. From both the Old Testament and modern day. Now I do not judge anyone who has had a tattoo, my father has many, however he did not grow up learning council from the scriptures nor from our current prophets.

I am against them, although many find them artistic and I am one. I as a businessman do not like my employees to have them and if they do I require them to be covered up because they go into homes of customers, and I do not want my customers to feel uncomfortable. Many people connect tattoos to gangs and prison life, this is one reason I have my employees who have them cover them up.

Getting a tattoo can seriously jeopardize one's eligibility to serve a mission (see link). Apparently a lot depends on one's attitude about it and whether it can be covered up while serving the mission.

Lev 19:28

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Along with what the Prophets have told us.

Plus you jeopardize a mission like Scott Lloyd has shown.

Plus the negative connotations that can go with them.

I do not see this as a problem so much within the church. Most people I know who do have tattoos received them before their membership or while inactive.

However outside the membership of church it is pandemic. It seems to be the new fad and its hard to see people without them anymore.

Edited by Anijen

How about posting a pic? :)

Well, actually, it is quite distinctive, and would be easily recognizable... If I were to post it, and anyone who knew me personally were on here, it would blow my cover!! LOL

I wish to remain incognito!! LOL

Silver Girl

:ph34r:

.... Is there a commandment forbidding tattooing?

wow, welcome to Bible 101.

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:28

not t mention 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 or 2 Corinthians 6:14-17, etc...

There are many prohibitions of the unnatural disfigurement of the body. Some may have stemmed from the manner by which many people would "mourn" (prevailing with Egyptians, Babylonians, etc..)

But it was also seen in how the Gentiles would worship idols, a sort of "mark of honor". Tattoos were a common practice among lesser and more savage tribal people and is easily viewed as a lack of reverence for the body.

Edited by subgenius

Anijen:

It was good advice directed at the youth of the Church. Employers are as a whole are a very conservative lot so ome young person just starting out on their career should not have obvious tatoos when searching for that first important job. To the old retired person like me such advice just doesn't apply, and I still have no desire to get a tatoo. :)

Edited by thesometimesaint

If you need to turn to the Law of Moses for a commandment against tattooing, you lose. :)

President Hinckley's counsel against tattooing is wise counsel. Wise counsel does not make it a commandment. Folks need to just lighten up.

fine example of cherry-picking. Just reference Corinthians if the OT is so "inadequate" for your purposes.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote, “The practice is a desecration of the human body and should not be permitted. … Latter-day Saint servicemen in particular are counseled to avoid the pitfalls of tattooing. Persons who are tattooed are not, however, denied the ordinances and blessings of the temples”And Hinckley did not simply "counsel", he proclaims that the Presidency and the 12 "discourage" the act.Tattoos may also be in contradiction of Articles of Faith, because they are most likely not anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy.

I assume you mean "lighten up" as in not being so heavy on things that offer no benefit and often only satisfy a carnal urge?

What possible justification can be offered in support of Church endorsement for tattoos, or other such extreme body modifications?

If you need to turn to the Law of Moses for a commandment against tattooing, you lose. :)

President Hinckley's counsel against tattooing is wise counsel. Wise counsel does not make it a commandment. Folks need to just lighten up.

I was responding to your post. I lose because I gave a commandment out of the Old Testament in direct response to your post? And now I need to lighten up?

seriously

Anijen

who is happily teaching the Old Testament in seminary this year.

I got a tatoo on my upper arm when i was 33 years old. I really dont think kids should get them because the dont think about all the things that go along with a tatoo. Where it is, and if it can be seen when you dont want it to be seen. Being on the upper arm, a short sleeved shirt hides it just fine. I like mine, but of course I thought about mine and designed it for a year before I took it to an artist to have it done. Its a compass, with a ying and yang dial, and the needle is pointing to true north. It also has a chain dangling down from the top. Each of the four directional pointers protrudes out from the dial. The south pointer is dripping with blood! LOL DONT GO SOUTH! LOL The 'point' of the design is that truth can be found anywhere, but the best truth is found when you are pointing true north, not not just north, and certainly not south. There are many other meanings and symbolism to the Ying and Yang, also the four colors of each direction, North = green, West = Red, East = Blue, and South = yellow. I'll let you all figure that out. Because I was an adult when I got it, and spend a lot of time thinking about it, I have no regrets on the tatoo. Im not a biker, a drinker, or anything like that. And if I have the tatoo throughout the eternities, Im ok with that.

308971_2375705238877_1437975575_2796664_5675072_n.jpg

I hope I dont hurt anybody's eyes! LOL

And on top of that, the poor girl has to live with the name Peaches!

LOL....from the article one would think she is covered in tattoos, from what I understand she has twenty, all easily concealed. Several of them are quite nice. Tattoos is an interesting subject for me. I like them, almost got one 3 days before entering the MTC (i was negotiating a price with the artist but he wanted too much money).

My friends in highschool has tattoo's all of the said "Do not get even 1, because if you get 1 you will get more". Some of them were barely 17yrs old and had 5 tattoos.

I think body art can be beautiful, but honestly I'd get tired of something like that probably within a year. If you feel the need to adorn the body in such a fashion, why not do henna or body paint (lots of colours)? You can do it yourself or have a friend, costs less, much less painful, don't have to worry about weight gain or loss or aging skin and you can tailor it to the rest of what you are wearing.

I think this is stunning: 274554_100002567242912_8233403_n.jpg

Edited by calmoriah
  • 2 weeks later...

... I hope I dont hurt anybody's eyes! LOL

Owwwww, my eyes! My eyes! ;)

It's okay, all she needs to do is marry a guy named Mario and everything will be just peachy.