Seriously No Politics ×

Tattoos Of Regret

BCSpace

I think body art can be beautiful, but honestly I'd get tired of something like that probably within a year. If you feel the need to adorn the body in such a fashion, why not do henna or body paint (lots of colours)? You can do it yourself or have a friend, costs less, much less painful, don't have to worry about weight gain or loss or aging skin and you can tailor it to the rest of what you are wearing.

I think this is stunning: 274554_100002567242912_8233403_n.jpg

I agree. My daughters have done henna decorations at fairs and such and I didn't mind. It is temporary and often beautiful. Kind of like wearing a nice scarf that lasts for a few weeks and fades over time.

• 4 weeks later...

Tattoo's? Really? on LDS members and Temple Recommend holders? Guess I'm from a different generation! When I was growing up Tattoo's were usually worn by PWT, ex-felon's and loose women! Guess things have changed??????

I am a Temple Recommend holder, and I have a tattoo... It is not something I am particularlly proud of, and would remove it if I could... I am a member of the District RS Presidency, and have been called as a Temple Patron... I attend the Temple at least once per quarter, or as often as I can find the time and funding for the 6 hour drive...

When going to the Temple, I usually wear a longer skirt, or dark hose to hide my tattoo (which is on the ankle)... I usually put a band aid on it too...

God knew I had a tattoo when He called me to the RS Presidency... God knew I had a tattoo when He called me to be a Temple Patron... He also knew my heart... And, that my heart belongs to Him!!

I made a mistake... Everyone does... And, if everyone's mistakes left indelible marks on the skin, I would be much more decorated than I already am!! And, I am sure there are many on this board that would be as colorful (if not more) than I am!!

I have repented for many sins over the last 40+ years... And, will continue to do so today, and in the future...

Will you repent of judging people like me today...??

Just a thought...

Silver Girl

Edited by Silver Girl

I am a Temple Recommend holder, and I have a tattoo... It is not something I am particularlly proud of, and would remove it if I could... I am a member of the District RS Presidency, and have been called as a Temple Patron... I attend the Temple at least once per quarter, or as often as I can find the time and funding for the 6 hour drive...

When going to the Temple, I usually wear a longer skirt, or dark hose to hide my tattoo (which is on the ankle)... I usually put a band aid on it too...

God knew I had a tattoo when He called me to the RS Presidency... God knew I had a tattoo when He called me to be a Temple Patron... He also knew my heart... And, that my heart belongs to Him!!

I made a mistake... Everyone does... And, if everyone's mistakes left indelible marks on the skin, I would be much more decorated than I already am!! And, I am sure there are many on this board that would be as colorful (if not more) than I am!!

I have repented for many sins over the last 40+ years... And, will continue to do so today, and in the future...

Just a thought...

Silver Girl

Are you a convert to the LDS Church? If so I understand completely, my Ward is full of Converts with Tattoo's. If you were born and raised in the Church then you have no excuses as you knew better from the start! Your body is a temple, I know you wouldn't spray Graffiti on the Temple walls as would you not on your own body (Temple) No one is Judging anyone here! That's Heavenly Fathers work!

Just a thought...

Silver Girl

I am a firm believer that we create our own hell in this life and the next. Your tatoo exists, it was done in the past, and the Lord remembers it no more. Learn to use it as a reminder of the joy in serving the Lord rather than the unhappiness of an older life. If anyone has a problem with it, that is their personal problem and has nothing to do with you.

From one who wears many scars of the soul,

Are you a convert to the LDS Church? If so I understand completely, my Ward is full of Converts with Tattoo's. If you were born and raised in the Church then you have no excuses as you knew better from the start! Your body is a temple, I know you wouldn't spray Graffiti on the Temple walls as would you not on your own body (Temple) No one is Judging anyone here! That's Heavenly Fathers work!

"No excuses" is "no judging"? Interesting concept.

I am a firm believer that we create our own hell in this life and the next. Your tatoo exists, it was done in the past, and the Lord remembers it no more. Learn to use it as a reminder of the joy in serving the Lord rather than the unhappiness of an older life. If anyone has a problem with it, that is their personal problem and has nothing to do with you.

Well said.

Have tattoo on my foot. Got it when i ran my first 26.2 marathon. Has "26.2" and the date of the marathon 6 years ago. I'm very proud of it and it a reminder to me of some things I overcame at the time. No one sees it but me, being on my foot. It's for me. I wouldn't remove even if there was a magic pill invented.

Thats how I feel about mine. Let the world whine about what they think a tatoo is and what it represents. To me its art, and if you design your own, you created it to remind you of something. If its good, then its good. But if people see a tatoo, no matter what the design, and only see bad, then I suppose that's thier problem, not mine. I am perfectly comfortable being an active High Priest and second assistant to the High Priest Group Leader, a temple recommend holder and returned missionary - I am also an artist. But, perhaps people like me see something else besides gang members with tattoos .... what do you see?

I am not a convert... I was born and raised in the Church, although my parents were inactive for very long periods of time during my childhood and adolesence... And, no, I do not have any excuse... Other than the fact that I am an infallible, and imperfect human, who makes mistakes...

Thank the good Lord, my Savior Jesus Christ, that He has provided me a way to repent, even for the "grevious sin" of having a tattoo... He has forgiven me of many sins, including the tattoo... And, I am eternally in debt to His Grace, Wisdom and Mercy...

How thankful I am it is His work to judge me (and not yours!!)

Enjoying the Lord's Tender Mercies Today, From The Blustery Shores of Lake Superior!!

Silver Girl

Edited by Silver Girl

Thank you, Storm!!

My tattoo does not bother me very much... I am careful to keep it concealed when working as a representative of the Church (I have a District calling, and go to the Temple as often as I can)...

And, I do agree with you, Storm... I use it as a reminder of where I started, and how far I have come!! I am so proud of the progress I have made in this life, and know that I have SO much further to go... The joy is in His service...

I, too, have scars, that have nothing to do with tattoos... And I am grateful to the Saviour for easing those burdens, and blessing me with His Tender Mercies!! I pray He is blessing you too!!

Have a terrific day!!

Silver Girl

I'm not opposed to tattoos per se. Because they are permanent, I do think people should think very hard about them. The best advice I was given was to consider a design for a full year.

My wife and I hope to get one commemorating our son who was lost to SIDS.

I'm not opposed to tattoos per se. Because they are permanent, I do think people should think very hard about them. The best advice I was given was to consider a design for a full year.

My wife and I hope to get one commemorating our son who was lost to SIDS.

Our first child and son died of SIDS at months. We just keep his picture on the wall, when asked how many children we have we always include him, we still talk about him, and our two other children still talk about him though they never knew him. He remains a part of our lives. There is nothing else we can do to improve our memory of him.

I would say that I am a bit of a purist and prefer that we keep bodies as clean as when they came into this world. HOWEVER, to each his own.

Our first child and son died of SIDS at months. We just keep his picture on the wall, when asked how many children we have we always include him, we still talk about him, and our two other children still talk about him though they never knew him. He remains a part of our lives. There is nothing else we can do to improve our memory of him.

I would say that I am a bit of a purist and prefer that we keep bodies as clean as when they came into this world. HOWEVER, to each his own.

My sister in law adds her two children that died to some of the family photos by placing their pictures in the upper corners.

Storm Rider said: I would say that I am a bit of a purist and prefer that we keep bodies as clean as when they came into this world. HOWEVER, to each his own.

Great statement! Also, we are "Taught" by the church at youth to keep our bodies clean and pure.

Storm Rider said: I would say that I am a bit of a purist and prefer that we keep bodies as clean as when they came into this world. HOWEVER, to each his own.

Great statement! Also, we are "Taught" by the church at youth to keep our bodies clean and pure.

Sounds like a tradition .... I mean, if we were to totally be clean and pure, we wouldnt wear clothes (especially colored ones), & women wouldnt wear makeup. Clean and pure doesnt nessesarily mean lack of color. But I suppose people see what they want to see. Clean and pure is what you think it is in your mind over and above clean thoughts, and being well bathed! People are free to think what a tattoo means, but the same has been said for art for many years.

What you really need to find is something that says its church doctrine that tatoos are wrong. And you wont specifically find it, because its not doctrine.

When I was in high school my teacher taught me about the bias against artistic expression. They enlisted all of the students to create a scupture, and the winning design would be chosen as a statue that the class would build in the school courtyard. My entry was three square pillars of different heights and on the top of each was a round sphere. When I was creating them I was thinking about the three degrees of glory, and even the Godhead. Then some rumors got back to the principal that it was 'dirty'. He killed the project. My teacher reminded me that even principals can be bias.

Below is a Logo (middle one) that represented one of the companies I used to own. The company was called On Dunes Performance. The first time my brother saw it, he told my dad that it too was 'dirty'. Really? Again, we see what we want to with art. I told my brother to get his mind out of the gutter.

I see the point that some are making: Dont get a tattoo because people will think bad things about you if they do, they may not hire you, people might think bad things about you. But, when we are adults we realize that to be Christian means to love everyone, regardless of our bias. We are taught not to judge others, and welcome all to church. You know, I think I know Jesus Christ well enough to know that he wouldnt turn away someone that has a tattoo. So, do we remove our tattoos to appease judgmental people? Or do we wear them to help people understand not to be judgemental? Which would be more Christlike? What do the marks on Christ's hands represent to you?

post-17409-0-67243000-1319080012_thumb.j

Edited by Messenger

Below is a Logo (middle one) that represented one of the companies I used to own. The company was called On Dunes Performance. The first time my brother saw it, he told my dad that it too was 'dirty'. Really? Again, we see what we want to with art. I told my brother to get his mind out of the gutter.

I don't see what he saw. I can't figure it out at all. And I have an interest in lingam/yoni worship.

(Don't explain it to me, especially in open forum.)