Seriously No Politics ×

What motivates you to live the WOW?

31 minutes ago, snowflake said:

.Dad din't drink near beer after the Bishop corrected his error.....section 89 is not up for different interpretations if you want to go to the temple.  

My wife drinks near-bear pretty often and the bishop doesn't give a darn haha I don't remember what it's called but we also drink a "near-wine" that's pretty darn good too.

10 hours ago, snowflake said:

When you look at the WOW do you read the text itself or use the current salt lake COJCOLDS take on the WOW? 

The Church of Jesus Christ is led by prophets today as it has been continuously since Joseph Smith. I don’t put a time frame on my acceptance of divine revelation. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
12 hours ago, california boy said:

Nothing shows a stronger testimony than someone willing to drink Postum.  That stuff tastes like boiled hay.

Disagree. I grew up drinking it. It’s not too bad. These days, I add it to hot chocolate for a flavor boost. Very nice. 

Of course, I wouldn’t drink cola even without the caffeine. To me, it tastes like paint thinner. 

So there’s no accounting for taste, I guess. 

I do like Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. I wish they made non-caff versions of them. 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

If I were an outsider reading this post and the replies, by the end I would have no idea what the word of wisdom is and what I should avoid. 

Just goes to show you shouldn’t rely on this board for your understanding of Church doctrine. Authoritative sources abound and are easily accessible elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

If I were an outsider reading this post and the replies, by the end I would have no idea what the word of wisdom is and what I should avoid. 

Just do what the brethren tell you my friend.....they won't lead you astray,  revelation trumps all scripture.

Beer, coffee, wine are no-no's.......medical marijuana, prescription opiates, energy drinks, and meat in the summer is an a-okay. 

1 minute ago, snowflake said:

Just do what the brethren tell you my friend.....they won't lead you astray,  revelation trumps all scripture.

Beer, coffee, wine are no-no's.......medical marijuana, prescription opiates, energy drinks, and meat in the summer is an a-okay. 

Yeah, we get it. You hate the Church. 

14 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

I would ask the missionaries. They will be better at it.

6 minutes ago, snowflake said:

And even we are better at it then our critics who condescendingly deign to tell us what it should include.

22 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If I were a stake president I would assign bishops in my stake to read the handbook regularly. 

And/or "Yes, absolutely.  My door is always open, I am [almost] always available, but please, please, please consult the Handbook before contacting me!" ;) :D  That would be my first question: "Is it in the Handbook?" and/or [if I know it's in the Handbook] "Have you read the Handbook?" :) 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Disagree. I grew up drinking it. It’s not too bad. These days, I add it to hot chocolate for a flavor boost. Very nice.

I grew up on it too and love it.  

Funny, I too mix mine with hot chocolate at about 50/50 ratio.   It is the perfect combo because the Postum tames the sweetness of the hot chocolate (WAY too sweet) and adds a tasteful and well complemented complexity to the flavor.

11 hours ago, california boy said:

I could probably have a cup of Postum with enough sugar and cream.  Just hold the Postum. 

As my uncle used to say, "if we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, but we don't have any eggs." Were it not for children, teaching would be a great career. Ever tried a cup of warm Vegemite tea?

7 hours ago, snowflake said:

When you look at the WOW do you read the text itself or use the current salt lake COJCOLDS take on the WOW? 

Non-alcoholic beers have no alcohol or a very tiny  amount, certainly much less than vanilla flavoring. They are grain drinks, IMO, no different than herbal teas, Pero, or Postum. I wouldn't take a six pack to a Father/Son outing, but I would not feel guilty about enjoying one in privacy or with friends.

5 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I'll have to vote with you on this.

Pero is OK, though.  

Coffee taste and smell are far more disgusting to me than Pero or Postum. Coffee breath......arrrrggghhhh.

4 hours ago, snowflake said:

Yes, I would just keep on drinking LOL! How the LDS got by in the old west without whiskey is truly a miracle!...wait.....they did use whiskey.....never mind. 

Church leaders were concerned about it from the beginning. It's fascinating to read JoD talks on the Word of Wisdom over the 1850s-90s.

6 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

As my uncle used to say, "if we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, but we don't have any eggs." Were it not for children, teaching would be a great career. Ever tried a cup of warm Vegemite tea?

Never had Vegemite tea, but plenty of Vegemite sandwiches.  I actually like them.  Got used to them on my mission in NZ. So maybe I would like the tea version.  Do you recommend it?

7 minutes ago, california boy said:

Never had Vegemite tea, but plenty of Vegemite sandwiches.  I actually like them.  Got used to them on my mission in NZ. So maybe I would like the tea version.  Do you recommend it?

I really like Vegemite on toast and also on a sandwich with peanut butter and grape jelly. That would be anathema to Aussies or Kiwis. Tea is kinda like drinking beef bullion.  As a child and youth my mother kept a jar of sagebrush tea in the fridge. I had to drink a glass straight every day. It was a pioneer remedy for anything that ails you.

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

I really like Vegemite on toast and also on a sandwich with peanut butter and grape jelly. That would be anathema to Aussies or Kiwis. Tea is kinda like drinking beef bullion.  As a child and youth my mother kept a jar of sagebrush tea in the fridge. I had to drink a glass straight every day. It was a pioneer remedy for anything that ails you.

Yeah. the only thing that goes with Vegemite is butter.  Toast is optional

3 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

I assume it usually just cured a bout of joy or happiness?

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I do like Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. I wish they made non-caff versions of them. 

Back in the mid-90's my wife and I were shopping at Food 4 Less in Provo. We passed by a display of caffeine free Mountain Dew. I looked at my wife and asked, "Why?" That's the only time I ever saw CFMD.

2 hours ago, snowflake said:

For such a legalistic group (COJCOLDS) I find it very perplexing as to why the group doesn't follow it's own Prophet's teachings.  When you read section 89, wine is allowed if produced by the saints for their sacrament....today that is taboo. Mild barley drinks (beer) are allowed....today that is taboo.  Meat should be eaten sparingly and in the winter......taboo.....eat as much as you want whenever. The WOW is not a commandment or constraint according to the text but a principle with a promise....try drinking a coffee at your next LDS function (or be really rebellious and drink a near beer) and see what happens.  The church doesn't even follow the teachings of Joseph's D&C section 89......  I remember as a kid my Dad drinking near beer and my father getting into a long Discussion with the bishop about the wording of section 89.....Dad din't drink near beer after the Bishop corrected his error.....section 89 is not up for different interpretations if you want to go to the temple.  

Of course it is. 

16 minutes ago, Thinking said:

passed by a display of caffeine free Mountain Dew.

They had it in Canada as nothing that wasn’t cola looking could have caffeine in it. I think the law has been changed though. 

51 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Coffee taste and smell are far more disgusting to me than Pero or Postum. Coffee breath......arrrrggghhhh.

Yes.  Coffee breath is revolting.  Then again, so is garlic breath, onion breath, fish breath, any breath but mine lol

And add me to the list of Pero/hot chocolatiers. It’s my favorite winter treat.