Seriously No Politics ×

David Archuleta's new single about he and (some in?) his family leaving the Faith

35 minutes ago, Daniel2 said:

The basic thrust of this conviction—that heaven cannot be so if we end up separated from those we love—is a thoroughly Mormon one with its roots in the faith’s earliest days.

35 minutes ago, Daniel2 said:

Moving into modernity, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland similarly confesses that “I don't know how to speak about heaven in the traditional, lovely, paradisiacal beauty that we speak of heaven. I wouldn't know how to speak of heaven, without my wife or my children. It would not be heaven for me.”

These exactly. It’s a very Mormon song. 

1 hour ago, Daniel2 said:
This morning, Jaxon Washburn, a self-proclaimed active and believing Latter-day Saint member of Mormons Building Bridges, posted the following on social media regarding David Archuleta's new single, "Hell Together."  This may be the most high-profile, public case of an LDS family choosing one of their own over their Faith...  The verses are written from David's own point of view, with the chorus being the words of someone within his family (it's unclear who or how many share the sentiment it expresses).

It will be interesting to see what effect, if any, his song has within LDS circles.  Personally, it brought me to tears and really affected me, as did Jaxon's written response (below).  Both Joseph Smith's and Elder Holland's words about heaven not being heaven without those we love especially hit home, and I found myself surprised to being in agreement with them both. I am sure others' mileage will vary.

His lyrics painful lyrics perfectly describe what happens when former believers surrender to the fallen nature, give up on Christ, and lose the Spirit. 

Edited by teddyaware
1 hour ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

The basic thrust of this conviction—that heaven cannot be so if we end up separated from those we love—is a thoroughly Mormon one with its roots in the faith’s earliest days.

Moving into modernity, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland similarly confesses that “I don't know how to speak about heaven in the traditional, lovely, paradisiacal beauty that we speak of heaven. I wouldn't know how to speak of heaven, without my wife or my children. It would not be heaven for me.”

These exactly. It’s a very Mormon song. 

I don't think Elder Holland's comment is particularly comparable to David's.  Elder Holland is not rejecting or rebelling against the Restored Gospel, David is. 

I wish David well.  The Restored Gospel is, in the end, only compelling and meaningful for those who accept it on the Lord's, rather than the individual's, terms.  We see this in the story of the Rich Young Man:

17  And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

Elder John M. Madsen applied this story in this 2002 General Conference talk:

Almost 2,000 years ago, a rich young man asked an extremely important question of the Savior: “Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?” (Matt. 19:16).

Having “heard” the Savior’s instructions and His gentle invitation to “come and follow me” (Matt. 19:21), the rich young man “went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions” (Matt. 19:22).

Tragically, millions in the world today still prize and choose “the riches of the earth” over the “riches of eternity” (D&C 38:39), not knowing or fully understanding that “he that hath eternal life is rich” (D&C 6:7; emphasis added), and that eternal life is God’s greatest gift to man (see D&C 14:7). Simply stated, eternal life is to live forever as families in the presence of God (see D&C 132:19–20, 24, 55).

As I see it, the rhetorical conceit David uses in his lyrics fundamentally distorts and misrepresents the Restored Gospel.  That conceit is that we believe that the "gates {of heaven}" have been wrongfully or arbitrarily "close{d}" to those who choose to not obey the commandments of Jesus Christ.  And the lyrics seem to imply that the leaders of the Church, not God, have "close{d} the gates" ("So let 'em close the gates / Oh, if they don't like the way you're made, / then they're not any better").  The commandments have come through prophets and apostles, but do not originate with them.

I note the lyric's inclusion of modern notions sexual identity.  "Oh, if they don't like the way you're made..."  The Church acknowledges same-sex attraction, but then requires adherence to the Law of Chastity.  The Church likewise acknowledges opposite-sex attraction, and also requires adherence to the Law of Chastity.  "{The Lord} doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness..." (2 Nephi 26:33.)  This is a genuinely universal declaration, and necessarily applies to our brothers and sisters who identify as LGBT.

So that brings us back to "identity."  Our @Hamba Tuhan has stated: "All sexual identity is a late 19th-century Western social construct."  He has been emphasizing this point for some time:

Here:

But seriously, what on earth does Elder Bednar mean when he says, "There are no homosexuals in the Church"?

I think this has been explained several times already in this thread, but since it would appear that you still haven't grasped it, let me try to break it down for you from my perspective as both a professional historian and faithful Latter-day Saint:

1. Sexual identity is a recent social construct, dating to the second half of the 19th century. Before that, neither heterosexuality nor homosexuality (or any other kind of -sexuality) existed, either as words or identities. Same-sex behaviour, of course, has been ubiquitous. In addition to all the quotes from queer and queer-friendly historians that I have provided on this forum in the past, let me add a few more here:

• 'Modern sexuality moved from a situation where same-sex activity was merely excessive sex (sexual acts) to a regime where sexuality was linked to self (sexual identities). It was a shift that also saw the division into heterosexual and homosexual, a split that has been assumed in modern sexual paradigms' (Barry Reay, 'Writing the modern histories of homosexual England', Historical Journal, 52:1 [2009], 213.)
  • 'Many historians of sexuality have argued that a hetero/homosexual binarism emerged only after 1869 following the coinage of "homosexuality", which, according to Foucault, introduced the homosexual as a new "species" of being. Some interpretations of Foucault's work had emphasized the precise moment when the "homosexual" created a radical rupture in western understandings of sexual deviancy. According to this view, the social and cultural identities based on an exclusive same sex-erotic attraction were virtually impossible before the nineteenth century' (Robert Beachy, 'The German invention of homosexuality', Journal of Modern History, 82:4 [2010], 802-03).
  • 'Other gay historians have supported Foucault's periodization but questioned his exclusive emphasis on medicalization ... Dan Healey's work on Moscow and St. Petersburg documents a shift in same-sex relations around 1900 from an earlier model of adult men patronizing both younger male and female prostitutes to a subculture of men who desired exclusively other men' (ibid., 803).
  • 'A central -- if not perhaps the most central -- element that has characterized modern homosexuality is the understanding of erotic same-sex attraction as a fundamental element of the individual's biological or psychological makeup. Homosexuality has thus been defined and constructed around the debate over the innate character of sexual identity, whether governed by nature or nurture, biology or culture, genetics or environment' (ibid., 803-04).
  • 'This idea of (homo)sexual personhood has a very recent history. The homosexual "species" emerged and took root in Germany after the mid-nineteenth century through the collaboration of Berlin's medical scientists and sexual minorities. This confluence of biological determinism and subjective expressions of sexual personhood was largely a German phenomenon, moreover, and it clearly underpins modern conceptions of sexual orientation' (ibid., 804).

2. This new social construct spread slowly at first but started to become ascendant in the West in the second half of the 20th century, when it was adopted for its political utility. In many ways, one can read the wholesale invention of 'gay marriage' and the current legal and social attempts to silence all dissent to it as the clearest indication that the discourse has gone from merely ascendant to genuinely hegemonic.

3. In their quest for normalisation and domestication, all ascendant discourses attempt to mask their genealogies by creating narratives of having 'always already' existed. These enabling narratives become essential to propping up a hegemonic discourse and inevitably result in historical revisionism, wherein the new discourse is projected backward onto histories that predate it (a point perfectly expressed in Orwell's 1984: 'The past was alterable ... Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia'):

• 'But the conceptual quandary is deeper (and relates to the distinction between sexual acts and identities referred to in the opening sentence of this article). The difficulty starts, quite literally, with the titles of these two historical surveys. The lesbian of the 'lesbian' history does not appear until chapter 7. The gay in the 'gay' history (as indeed its authors point out) is not applicable until the book's closing pages ... The danger of writing general homosexual histories is that the very nature of the exercise, the act of naming in the book's title -- "A gay history", "A lesbian history" -- imposes modern meanings and interpretations' (Reay, 'Writing the modern histories', 215).

4. Under the direction of the prophets, the Church has at no point in its history embraced this new discourse of sexual identities. Consequently, whilst the Church recognises the reality of same-sex behaviour (and even same-sex attraction, though one could reasonably argue that this is itself a modern construct, arising from the suggestive influence of the normalisation of homosexuality as an identity), the Church has maintained the sharp distinction between behaviour and identity.

5. The Church's position puts it at odds with a number of trends/forces in Western society -- and with those, like you, who have uncritically embraced the new discourse of sexual identity -- but it is a position far more in harmony with the paradigm that has existed for nearly all of human history and which remains the dominant paradigm around the world in areas least subject to Western colonisation of the imagination. It also is in harmony with the work of all serious historical scholarship on this topic.

6. Fortuitously, the Church's position also happens to be a defence of revealed truth relating to these issues. 

And here:

1) I do not, nor have I ever, identified with any late 19th-century Western social construct of sexuality, hetero-, homo-, bi-, or otherwise.

2) One of my former housemates now lives in a city where several of his friends have 'come out' as non-heterosexual specifically because doing so makes unchastity more socially acceptable, apparently. My friend even said to me that he was thinking about it as well since then, when he breaks the Law of Chastity (as he has done on many occasions), people will look on him with pity and compassion instead of judgement.

3) Clearly we are dealing with a cultural phenomenon.

4) If we teach these youth and young adults the truth -- historically, anthropologically, and linguistically grounded -- they'll be fine since it meshes perfectly with our doctrines.

And here:

What are you saying? Homosexuality is a modern invention within the past 150 years? I must be misunderstanding you. Could you please clarify.

Nope, no misunderstanding. The notion that people have innate, fixed, gendered 'sexual orientations' and therefore can be classified (and bound) by such constructions is less than 150 years old and is completely unique in human history, a fact even gay historians acknowledge.

If you're genuinely interested, a more academic introduction can be found in 'Gendered Sexuality: The Privileging of Sex and Gender in Sexual Orientation':
I'm a historian by profession and work in a research school with other historians, anthropologists, and linguists. I'm not aware of a single one who would contest the reality that 'sexual orientation' is a recent construct with a knowable history or that it is a specifically Western construct that has spread into our part of the world only because of Western colonialism (including the entertainment industry's colonising of the imagination).

And here:

Do you think an approach of our way or the highway approach should continue?  Either get married to someone of the opposite sex, or never have a relationship with another person.  If you can't accept that, then there really isn't a place for you in the Church.

I'm not certain, but I think you're asking if the Church should stop teaching basic Christian sexual mores, and my answer to that question (if I'm correct) is no. But as a member of the Church who has never married anyone of any sex, I have grown genuinely sick and weary of how you and others always frame this question: If there is 'no place' in the Church for people who aren't married to the opposite sex, then there is no place for me and millions of other members like me, and that's pure BS. Seriously, I'm sick of it to the point of frustration or anger or something I'd prefer not to experience. I know you think this line helps you score points or something, but it's simultaneously absurd and deeply offensive. Please stop pretending you get to speak for me.

It is, for me, sad and unfortunate that David has chosen the "sexual identity" paradigm in ways that, for him, require the exclusion and rejection of the paradigm of the Restored Gospel.  I think this sort of dilemma is fabricated and illusory and unnecessary.  Hamba is quite right: "The Church's position puts it at odds with a number of trends/forces in Western society -- and with those {} who have uncritically embraced the new discourse of sexual identity."  Once sexual orientation/attraction is set aside as an "identity" or, at least, is subordinated to the "identity" each of us has as a child of God, than much of the angst and confusion and conflict is resolved or substantially reduced.  

I hope David has a change of heart, but meanwhile, I wish him well.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
23 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

His lyrics painful lyrics perfectly describe what happens when former believers surrender to the fallen nature, give up on Christ, and lose the Spirit. 

Actually, it sounds like the lyrics of someone freed from a cult. 

Bow your head, don't be bold
You'll survive by doin' what you're told.
Said, 'love is earned and we can't choose,'
But the more you grow, you know the truth.

Hallelujah
What's it doing for ya when it’s in the way? 
Hallelujah
Wish we knew it sooner.

I like this line:

If they don't like the way you're made
then they're not any better.

18 minutes ago, pogi said:

Actually, it sounds like the lyrics of someone freed from a cult. 

"{L}ove is earned and we can't choose" is a markedly unfair, even dishonest, characterization of the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Another mischaracterization of us is "cult" when used for its pejorative connotations, which it carries because it is often associated with groups or movements that exhibit extreme or unorthodox beliefs, practices, or behaviors.  The Latter-day Saints cannot be reasonably characterized as "extreme" in their practices or behaviors.  We can, depending on the context, be characterized as "unorthodox," but such a characterization hinges on what is considered "orthodox," and that is a moving target.

Groups derisively labeled as "cults" are often seen as deviating from mainstream norms or established religious or social practices.  Again, this characterization only works in the context of what is considered "mainstream."  Muslims pray five times a day, but few conversant people label their religion as a "cult."  

Additionally, "cult" can imply manipulation, coercion, or exploitation of its members by charismatic leaders.  This is, I think, one of the more frequently-intended connotation.  I don't think it's fair, though.  The Brethren aren't really fairly characterized as "charismatic leaders."  Substantial numbers of Latter-day Saints leave or drift into inactivity, and even open opposition, and do so with impunity.  The Church has self-imposed constraints on the authority it can exercise over its members (see D&C 134:10).

The negative perception of cults has been reinforced by media portrayals of high-profile cases involving destructive cults, which often emphasize the harmful or dangerous aspects of such groups. As a result, the term "cult" has become loaded with negative implications, leading to its pejorative meaning in common usage.  This too is a frequently-intended meaning/connotation.

Thanks,

-Smac

9 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It is, for me, sad and unfortunate that David has chosen the "sexual identity" paradigm in ways that, for him, require the exclusion and rejection of the paradigm of the Restored Gospel.  I think this is dilemma is fabricated and illusory and unnecessary.  Hamba is quite right: "The Church's position puts it at odds with a number of trends/forces in Western society -- and with those {} who have uncritically embraced the new discourse of sexual identity."  Once sexual orientation/attraction is set aside as an "identity" or, at least, is subordinated to the "identity" each of us has as a child of God, than much of the angst and confusion and conflict is resolved or substantially reduced.  

No. Wrong. False. Ridiculous. Bad. Ill-conceived. Incorrect. Fantasy.

Yes.  Right.  True.  Reasonable.  Good.  Well-conceived.  Correct.  Reality.

;) 

You have no first-hand knowledge of this.

You don't know this.

Once sexual orientation/attraction is set aside as an "identity" or, at least, is subordinated to the "identity" each of us has as a child of God, then much of the angst and confusion and conflict is resolved or substantially reduced.

Don’t you think that virtually every devoted LDS queer person tries this?

I can't speak for "every devoted LDS queer person."  However, I have a good friend who previously "identified" as a lesbian, but she chose to set aside or subordinate that identity.  I have another friend, now deceased, who was quite emphatic in his choice to reject the "identity" paradigm.  Before he passed he expressed regret, even some frustration, that he had bought into it for so much of his life.  He acknowledged his past sexual attraction to other men, but he rejected it as his "identity."  He said it (sexual attraction) was something he experienced, but not who he was, not his "identity."

I have another friend who is, I think, "tr{ying} this" to some extent.  He is fairly open about being sexually attracted to men, but I'm not sure that he specifically "identifies" as gay (or, given that he's married to a woman, "bisexual").  In any event, he subordinates that orientation / identity.  He is an active and observant Latter-day Saint.  Then there are online anecdotes, but I can't personally vouch for these.

In any event, to more directly answer your question, no I don't know that "virtually every devoted LDS queer person tries this."  I think the "sexual identity" paradigm has become very firmly entrenched in modern society, so much so that it is not even questioned.  By way of example, look at this compilation of quotes from Hamba, which are often responsive to people who seem to be shocked at the very notion that "sexual identity" is, historically speaking, a novelty.  Or as Hamba has (with documentation) put it:

• "a late 19th-century Western social construct,"
  • "'a hetero/homosexual binarism emerged only after 1869 following the coinage of "homosexuality", which, according to Foucault, introduced the homosexual as a new 'species' of being,'"
  • "'the social and cultural identities based on an exclusive same sex-erotic attraction were virtually impossible before the nineteenth century,'"
  • "A central -- if not perhaps the most central -- element that has characterized modern homosexuality is the understanding of erotic same-sex attraction as a fundamental element of the individual's biological or psychological makeup"
  • "'This idea of (homo)sexual personhood has a very recent history'"
  • "'The homosexual "species" emerged and took root in Germany after the mid-nineteenth century through the collaboration of Berlin's medical scientists and sexual minorities. This confluence of biological determinism and subjective expressions of sexual personhood was largely a German phenomenon, moreover, and it clearly underpins modern conceptions of sexual orientation'"
  • "This new social construct spread slowly at first but started to become ascendant in the West in the second half of the 20th century, when it was adopted for its political utility."
  • "'Before that point [the late 1860s], Western culture did not include the concept we now call "sexual orientation" or "sexual identity"'"
  • "Clearly we are dealing with a cultural phenomenon."

I think most people, including most Latter-day Saints, take "sexual identity" as a given, as something that has always existed, not as a novelty with "a very recent history," as a "new social construct" which "emerged only after 1869," which sexual identities "were virtually impossible before the nineteenth century," which was "adopted {in the second halve of the 20th century} for its political utility."

However, if and when "sexual identity" is revisited, and then set aside or subordinated, then much of the angst and confusion and conflict is resolved or substantially reduced.  How often is this revisiting and re-evaluation of "identity" happening amongst the Latter-day Saints?  I don't really know.  I suspect you don't know either.

They try it a lot and they try hard.

"It" here refers to what?

You didn’t discover one weird trick that everyone is ignoring.

Mischaracterization.  I haven't claimed to "discovery" anything, nor is it a "trick."  And it's not that folks are "ignoring" the recent vintage of "sexual identity."  Rather, I think they aren't aware of it.

You’re talking about a painful journey many have walked and suggesting that if they had just tried harder to be closeted and pretended their identity isn’t real then all the angst and confusion would be gone or become insignificant.

You are misunderstanding or misconstruing my point.  You are presuming that "sexual identity" is a given.  I am suggesting that it is not, and that it is instead an innovation of fairly recent mintage.  I am not denying the reality that some people are sexually attracted to those of their same sex.  I am, instead, noting that that this condition is not, or need not be treated as, an "identity."

Also finding my identity was a HUGE relief. My identity wasn’t mainstream when I was coming to grips with it. I was was left questioning ‘WHAT THE HELL AM I?’

A child of God.

Finding a name for what you are and the stories of those in similar situations is a relief.

The "name" you reference here is, historically speaking, a brand new concept.  That it has attained some cultural hegemony does not mean it is etched in stone.  If a person can choose to take the "name" as an "identity," he can also choose to not do so, or to subordinate that "name" or "identity" to one that is, or ought to be, more foundational.

It is not making up an identity out of convenience or some kind of perversity.

Mischaracterization.  I have not suggested this.  See the various sources cited by Hamba (complied here).

It is making sense of the world. Telling people they were better off in the angst and confusion of being alone because God wants that isn’t putting God in a good light. 

Mischaracterization.  I have not done this.

Stop mindlessly opining on cures that just don’t work.

I decline to go along with your attempt at censorship.  

This is one reason queer people often grow to church. They hear advice like this and try it and when it fails they are told they should have tried it. It is a mockery of their suffering and an insult to what many have endured. Then comes the resentment of the time lost trying to follow this path.

Mischaracterization.  I have not mocked anyone, nor their suffering.

Could you try reading the stories of the people who endure the stuff you are dismissing instead of making up fantasy stories in your own head about how it works?

Mischaracterization.  I have not dismissed anyone, nor am I making up fantasy stories.

Thanks,

-Smac

3 minutes ago, Daniel2 said:

"{L}ove is earned and we can't choose" is a markedly unfair, even dishonest, characterization of the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I anticipated someone would eventually criticize Archuleta’s lyrics for “unfairly not being an accurate reflection of LDS doctrine/beliefs/practices,” or at the very least being an “incomplete view of LDS doctrine/beliefs/practices.”

It's a reasonable anticipation.

In addition to SeekingUnderstanding’s excellent point that Archuleta is entitled to his own experience of Mormonism,

Daniel Patrick Moynihan had it right: “You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

David is entitled to "his own experience," but he is not entitled to unfairly or dishonestly characterized the doctrines and teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

it’s worth pointing out that lyrics often use poetic wording that, while still reflective of the larger truth, may not reflect every detail or specific nuance with which some members of the church may be quick to take umbrage.

Lyrics can also be plainly unfair and dishonest and inaccurate.  Such as we've seen here.

Thanks,

-Smac

55 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Another mischaracterization of us is "cult" when used for its pejorative connotations, which it carries because it is often associated with groups or movements that exhibit extreme or unorthodox beliefs, practices, or behaviors.  The Latter-day Saints cannot be reasonably characterized as "extreme" in their practices or behaviors.  We can, depending on the context, be characterized as "unorthodox," but such a characterization hinges on what is considered "orthodox," and that is a moving target.

Groups derisively labeled as "cults" are often seen as deviating from mainstream norms or established religious or social practices.  Again, this characterization only works in the context of what is considered "mainstream."  Muslims pray five times a day, but few conversant people label their religion as a "cult."  

Additionally, "cult" can imply manipulation, coercion, or exploitation of its members by charismatic leaders.  This is, I think, one of the more frequently-intended connotation.  I don't think it's fair, though.  The Brethren aren't really fairly characterized as "charismatic leaders."  Substantial numbers of Latter-day Saints leave or drift into inactivity, and even open opposition, and do so with impunity.  The Church has self-imposed constraints on the authority it can exercise over its members (see D&C 134:10).

The negative perception of cults has been reinforced by media portrayals of high-profile cases involving destructive cults, which often emphasize the harmful or dangerous aspects of such groups. As a result, the term "cult" has become loaded with negative implications, leading to its pejorative meaning in common usage.  This too is a frequently-intended meaning/connotation.

Thanks,

-Smac

Wait, you are going to start fact-checking song lyrics? Have you read a hymnal lately? Glass houses and all that.

And the Church is not extreme? Remember when we were behind one of the “twin relics of barbarism”?  Remember when the mobs drove out our ancestors and the US army followed after?

55 minutes ago, pogi said:

Just "set aside your identity",

Not quite.  Set aside sexual attraction/orientation as an "identity."  Do you see the difference?

or at least "subordinate" it? 

Not quite.  If the individual is not ready to set aside the concept of sexual attraction/orientation as an "identity," then subordinate it to the "identity" each of us has as a child of God.  

Why? 

Because adopting sexual attraction/orientation as an "identity" tends to lead to sinful behavior, or justifications for sinful behavior.  Conversely, setting aside sexual attraction/orientation as an "identity," or else subordinating it, allows a person room to choose to obey God, and to make that choice free from (or with reduced measures of) the angst and confusion and conflict arising out of the conflict between worldly notions of sexuality and those espoused in the Restored Gospel.

That's not shaming at all! 

No, it's not.  A man who is sexually attracted to women, but who nevertheless chooses to constrain his behavior to that which is prescribed by God, has not been, and need not be, "shamed" into doing so.

In raw numbers, there are far more instances of church members violating the Law of Chastity's proscriptions as to opposite-sex behavior.

Is it so shameful that it needs to be set aside?

I said nothing about "shame."  Nor do I agree with the sentiment.

Is it any wonder why gay people have a hard time surviving in this church?    

I think a big part of the difficulty is the notion that sexual attraction/orientation is an "identity" or species of people.  This is, historically speaking, a novelty, and one that can and should be set aside.  Short of that, it should be subordinated to the "identity" we each have as children of a common Heavenly Father.  If that "identity" is paramount, then the individual can choose to constrain his sexual expressions and behaviors to the confines of the Law of Chastity.  This is the choice we all must make, regarding of whether our sexual proclivities hew toward those of the same sex or the opposite sex.

Thanks,

-Smac

10 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Wait, you are going to start fact-checking song lyrics?

I made a passing comment about David misrepresenting the doctrines and teachings of the Church.

And the Church is not extreme?

"Extreme" as in "of a character or kind farthest removed from the ordinary or average"?  No, it is not.

Remember when we were behind one of the “twin relics of barbarism”?  Remember when the mobs drove out our ancestors and the US army followed after?

Things can change in 130+ years.

Thanks,

-Smac

2 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Not quite.  If the individual is not ready to set aside the concept of sexual attraction/orientation as an "identity," then subordinate it to the "identity" each of us has as a child of God.  

Setting aside the concepts outlined in The Family Proclamation seems rather heretical, from an LDS viewpoint, to me.  Maybe my wandering in the desert of disbelief has scrambled my noggin though.

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

I don't think Elder Holland's comment is particularly comparable to David's.  Elder Holland is not rejecting or rebelling against the Restored Gospel, David is. 

Sometimes I wonder if you are intentionally this obtuse or if you just have an online persona to maintain. Indeed, Elder Holland describing heaven in terms of his closest relationships is something that David could never relate to. 🙄😬. Only Latter-day Saints can feel such things. Keep up the good work!