Seriously No Politics ×

A boycott and a birthday - Women's boycott this Sunday

There were as many women in sacrament meeting today as their normally are.  If someone had stayed home because of the boycott no one would know though.  Everyone would just assume they were sick or out of town.

The idea of a boycott to draw attention to putting women on the stand doesn't' seem very well thought out.

In our ward today, many women were wearing something green, none stayed home in protest (that I could tell), and five that started coming back regularly a few weeks ago attended yet gain!

On 3/15/2024 at 5:20 PM, smac97 said:

The RS presidency sitting on the stand during Sacrament Meeting does not seem to make much sense.  They are not there to preside or participate or speak.  And if they are there for "representation," then that rationalization applies to all presidencies in the ward, of which there are a lot.  Does it make sense for all those presidencies to also sit on the stand in the name of "representation"?  It seems not.

In our small ward, half the congregation would be on the stand. 

Well, maybe not half, but I think all seats on the stand would be occupied.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:28 PM, smac97 said:

I was serving as my ward's bishop during the "Wear Pants to Church" protest.  I was aware of the protest ahead of time.  We had one sister in the ward, a newly-married woman, who wore pants on that Sunday.  She did not speak or act out in any untoward way, and I felt no need to say or do anything about it.  

Thanks,

-Smac

One young sister in our ward wears trousers* to church every Sunday. She sometimes wears a white shirt with a tie, along with a sport coat. Nobody seems to care.

* I write "trousers" because here in the UK, "pants" has a different meaning.

On 3/15/2024 at 2:05 PM, LoudmouthMormon said:
On 3/14/2024 at 2:37 PM, pogi said:

Report back from your wards if you noticed a smaller women's presence on Sunday

Action item taken.  :) 

Zero absences noted.  Sister X gave a banger of a talk on that Italian pastor who got a BoM and a testimony in WWI days.  Sister Y did a musical number that brought tears to people's eyes.  Organist & conductor were the same gender they always were.  Ward is full of working and retired professionals, lots of folks savvy in matters of social media and online presences.  

It's hard for angry activist folks to make a difference in a church led by Christ.  Successes are rare.  

1 hour ago, CV75 said:

many women were wearing something green

Thanks for reminding me it Saint Paddy’s….don’t want to space on wishing my sister happy birthday.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like the boycott was the dud I thought it would be.  

Even if there were 1 or 2 women in every ward decided to boycott it wouldn’t even be perceivable.

Edited by pogi
2 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Zero absences noted.  Sister X gave a banger of a talk on that Italian pastor who got a BoM and a testimony in WWI days.  Sister Y did a musical number that brought tears to people's eyes.  Organist & conductor were the same gender they always were.  Ward is full of working and retired professionals, lots of folks savvy in matters of social media and online presences.  

It's hard for angry activist folks to make a difference in a church led by Christ.  Successes are rare.  

Are you saying women who participated in this were doing it out of anger?  If so, please show me where it says they were angry.

7 hours ago, CV75 said:

Today is St. Patrick's Day -- I propose green water and green bread. There is no scriptural prohibition, no revelation against the color of the sacramental emblems. Thus we recognize out common humanity of all people everywhere.

I would have no problem with this

14 hours ago, Calm said:

I read from the bottom up, it was obviously sarcasm with the previous post

... otherwise there would be no reason for a sarcastic post.

6 minutes ago, ZealouslyStriving said:

A 13-15 yo girl gave the opening prayer in Sacrament meeting... is that progress? I don't remember youths doing prayers during SM before.

The youth in our ward have been giving them for a few months (They give both prayers every 2-3 weeks). I figured it was just something in our ward.  Maybe it's being encouraged everywhere.

10 minutes ago, ZealouslyStriving said:

I don't remember youths doing prayers during SM before.

Except blessing and passing the sacrament?

17 minutes ago, ZealouslyStriving said:

A 13-15 yo girl gave the opening prayer in Sacrament meeting... is that progress? I don't remember youths doing prayers during SM before.

They recently made a change that anyone who has been baptized, can pray in sacrament meeting. I think it’s wonderful. My 10-year-old niece said the prayer in their ward last month. I remember when, for a short time, they stopped letting women pray in Sacrament meeting because they decided that it was a priesthood meeting and so needed to be opened by a priesthood holder. We’ve definitely come along way.   

1 minute ago, The Mean Farmer said:

In my Stake.  Stake Council meeting and High Council meeting are back to back.  98% of the time we are in Stake Council.  Only things that have to be done by the High Council are saved for that meeting.

Just a data point

What are the things that must be done by the high Council?

2 hours ago, Rain said:

The youth in our ward have been giving them for a few months (They give both prayers every 2-3 weeks). I figured it was just something in our ward.  Maybe it's being encouraged everywhere.

They have youth team teaching our family history class, helping with the tech stuff.  I thought that was brilliant.  They are also helping with being the chorister.  I haven’t been on a Sunday where they gave prayers, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was happening.  The ward is making a strong effort to give youth meaningful roles, which I fully back.  Been very please to see it.

Posted (edited)

On the Birthday of the Relief Society, Sister (why isn't the Relief Society presidency referred to as "President...") J. Anette Dennis said the following:

There is no other religious organization in the world that I know of, that has so broadly given power and authority to women.

Her reasoning:

Yes, other faiths ordain women to roles like priest or pastor, but those individuals represent a small minority when compared to the total number of women within their congregations.

By contrast, all women, 18 years and older in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who choose a covenant relationship with God in the House of the Lord are endowed with priesthood power directly from God.

And that’s not all.

All Latter-day Saint women are given priesthood authority to fulfill their callings, or volunteer positions within their congregations, and other assignments, she said, regardless of whether they have performed the rituals found within the faith’s temples.

My dear sisters, you belong to a church which offers all its women priesthood power and authority from God.

Do you agree that the Church tops the list of church's for power and authority given to women?

I know that President Oaks gave a talk which alluded to the idea that women get the priesthood in temples, but is this an actual ordination to priesthood authority?  If so, which priesthood, Melchizedek or Aaronic?   If women truly hold the priesthood as alluded to, why can't they hold any office?  

What kind of authority is it they hold if it can only be exercised under the authority of a man? 

Why do men preside in the home?  Because, we are taught, that they hold the priesthood.  So, which is it?  I thought women hold the priesthood too?  It feels disingenuous to suggest that women hold authority in our church like they do in other churches, when they can't hold office and can't ever preside over a man like they can and do in other churches.  

Kristine Haglund, a writer and former editor of Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, responded by "noting that the church’s patriarchal structure bars women from its central decision-making structure in their local congregations and church headquarters."

Latter-day Saint women’s ecclesiastical authority is dramatically less,” she said, “than in churches which extend priesthood to women.

While “distinguishing between priesthood power and priesthood office in this way may feel empowering for many LDS women,” Haglund said, “the fact that women’s priesthood power is exercised exclusively with the permission and at the direction of men who hold priesthood office feels constraining and disempowering to many.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lds-church-gives-more-power-to-women-than-any-other-religious-organization-leader-declares/ar-BB1k3vqR?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=30c872b78b7a4a2f996ba47b913ff659&ei=9

Edited by pogi
6 minutes ago, pogi said:

On the Birthday of the Relief Society, Sister (why isn't the Relief Society presidency referred to as "President...") J. Anette Dennis said the following:

Her reasoning:

Do you agree that the Church tops the list of church's for power and authority given to women?

I know that President Oaks talk alludes to the idea that women get the priesthood in temples, but is this an actual ordination to priesthood authority?  If so, which priesthood, Melchizedek or Aaronic?   If women truly hold the priesthood as alluded to, why can't they hold any office?  

What kind of authority is it they hold if it can only be exercised under the authority of a man? 

Why do men preside in the home?  Because, we are taught, that they hold the priesthood.  So, which is it?  I thought women hold the priesthood too?  It feels disingenuous to suggest that women hold authority in our church like they do in other churches, when they can't hold office and can't ever preside over a man. 

Kristine Haglund, a writer and former editor of Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, responded by "noting that the church’s patriarchal structure bars women from its central decision-making structure in their local congregations and church headquarters."

From what you quoted: "All Latter-day Saint women are given priesthood authority to fulfill their callings, or volunteer positions within their congregations, and other assignments, she said, regardless of whether they have performed the rituals found within the faith’s temples."

You don't need to go the temple to have the authority.  So if you have a calling that doesn't require a member to be in it (let's say organist, but I can't remember if that was actually one of them) does that mean an unendowed member has priesthood authority playing this week and the nonmember playing next week doesn't? 

18 hours ago, Rain said:
21 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Are you saying women who participated in this were doing it out of anger?  If so, please show me where it says they were angry.

18 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Don’t you know? Women who assert their preferences are all Angry Women.  

*shrug*.  I guess when some hoped-for activism goes universally unnoticed by everyone, then questioning adjectives and identity politics is the standard fallback position.

@Rain's questioning adjectives: Fine, pick whatever modifier word you'd like.  How about this: "It's hard for resolutely mature and steadfastly determined activist folks to make a difference in a church led by Christ.  Successes are rare."  Does that work?  I feel like it comes across as sarcastic, especially when you envision the words coming out of my avatar's mouth.  Anyway, in your effort to move against my overall statement, pick whatever adjective you feel appropriate.  My overall point remains the same.  Feel free to actually interact with it if you wish.

@MustardSeed's identity politics: I totally get that the entire point of the thing is a women's issue.  But you unrighteously judge me, and your unrighteous judgment is false at that.  I've studied activism for decades, and my point stands for activists of any and all genders.  Trying to paint a picture of me as some sort of mysogynist or someone biased against women?  Because I made a point with which you disagree?  2nd great commandment much?  I'm not feeling the love.  It's like you're looking at me already concluded about who you think I am, and the image you have of me doesn't match what I see in the mirror.  But I'll tell you what - in case I'm somehow blind to my own male chauvenism, I'll ask my wife to opine about how being assertive intersects with her emotions, and I'll listen to what she has to say.

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Rain said:

From what you quoted: "All Latter-day Saint women are given priesthood authority to fulfill their callings, or volunteer positions within their congregations, and other assignments, she said, regardless of whether they have performed the rituals found within the faith’s temples."

You don't need to go the temple to have the authority.  So if you have a calling that doesn't require a member to be in it (let's say organist, but I can't remember if that was actually one of them) does that mean an unendowed member has priesthood authority playing this week and the nonmember playing next week doesn't? 

Good question.

By the same argument, her comment seems to suggest that men who have never been endowed with priesthood (Aaronic or Melchizedek) but who hold a church calling, actually hold and exercise the priesthood.  If they do, then why do they need to be endowed further?   Whatever it is that women and unordain men hold, it clearly is not an endowment they hold with the same authority/power/privilege, otherwise they would be able to serve in a priesthood office as a priesthood holder, no further endowment would be needed if they already have the authority of the priesthood, and equal opportunity to preside would be afforded.  If anything, it is a temporary borrowed authority that does not belong to them, but they are allowed to use (kind of like how keys can be borrowed temporarily for callings), but it is in no way the same as being endowed or ordained to priesthood authority like men get in our church and like women get in other churches. 

Edited by pogi
36 minutes ago, Rain said:

does that mean an unendowed member has priesthood authority playing this week and the nonmember playing next week doesn't? 

Yes, that's what it means, according to Pres. Oaks.