Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

A fist bump instead of a handshake


Recommended Posts

Today, I made my selection of people I picked to greet with an incoming handshake. They saw me incoming and held out a fist... I adjust to a fist bump. As the one who first initiated the greeting, I couldn't help feeling they were impolite not to greet me in-kind. Why are they doing it? Is it a new habit, is it their natural reaction, they didn't notice it was supposed to be a handshake. Did Covid destroy the handshake in my ward?

Are you all losing the handshake in your ward?

Bonus: Is there Utah/Texas Westerners here aware of Southern manners that men aren't to initiate a handshake with a lady? As not to obligate them to touch you. You have to wait for them to offer their hand first. I don't notice if that's the way in my Ward, half are transplants and these sunny women usually always immediately shoot out an expectant handshake, as I've seen.

Edited by Pyreaux
Link to comment

I do the fistbump only because it is easier to deal with than do nothing at all. My immune system isn't the best so I try to do at least a little bit to protect it more. 

But more importantly I find it invasive (and in a way, impolite, despite the cultural idea) to be expected to have personal body contact with someone.  

 

Edited by Rain
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

Covid has not changed my Protestant brethren one bit. They do a handshake into a one-armed hug. Though I suspect if asked, its a little defiance of safe practices, and if God/Covid takes them, so be it.

Covid didn't change my feelings on handshakes.  I haven't liked handshakes for decades.  It did give me a more culturally acceptable excuse not to shake. 

 

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

Covid has not changed my Protestant brethren one bit. They do a handshake into a one-armed hug. Though I suspect if asked, its a little defiance of safe practices, and if God/Covid takes them, so be it.

It could be worse (and I know some that go this far):  "Greet ye one another with an holy kiss." (1 Corinthians 16:20, and Romans 16:16, 2 Corinthians 13:12, 1 Thessalonians 5:26)

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

Today, I made my selection of people I picked to greet with an incoming handshake. They saw me incoming and held out a fist... I adjust to a fist bump. As the one who first initiated the greeting, I couldn't help feeling they were impolite not to greet me in-kind. Why are they doing it? Is it a new habit, is it their natural reaction, they didn't notice it was supposed to be a handshake. Did Covid destroy the handshake in my ward?

Are you all losing the handshake in your ward?

Bonus: Is there Utah/Texas Westerners here aware of Southern manners that men aren't to initiate a handshake with a lady? As not to obligate them to touch you. You have to wait for them to offer their hand first. I don't notice if that's the way in my Ward, half are transplants and these sunny women usually always immediately shoot out an expectant handshake, as I've seen.

Covid is on the rise again, maybe they are being more cautious?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, InCognitus said:

It could be worse (and I know some that go this far):  "Greet ye one another with an holy kiss." (1 Corinthians 16:20, and Romans 16:16, 2 Corinthians 13:12, 1 Thessalonians 5:26)

Combine that with the old story of Spencer W. Kimball saying that French kissing was a “holy kiss”.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I worked closely with a lot of men as a musician, and I offer a fist bump explosion for hellos and goodbyes. Otherwise, everybody would be expecting a hug and a just like to maintain clear boundaries. Handshake would be too formal for me. I don’t care about Covid anymore.

I am a hugger. In one community I have been in I learned the advantage of a quick and inoffensive “Are you a hugger?”

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

So, don't breathe... and get married (no "singling" ^_^). But touching an unwashed hand after it touched the church doorhandle then touch you face is safe, that's just how you catch the flu or rhinovirus, I guess.

Try licking the door handle. People look at you as if you are some kind of diseased crazy person.

Link to comment

My dad taught me Southern manners even though he as a native of Utah.  I was taught never to extent your hand to a lady.  Wait for them to initiate the hand shake. With men, I have noticed that the fist bump has remained a constant since covid.  Probably about 50/50 with the hand shake.

Link to comment
15 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

So, don't breathe... and get married (no "singling" ^_^). But touching an unwashed hand after it touched the church doorhandle then touch you face is safe, that's just how you catch the flu or rhinovirus, I guess.

oops.  Meant "singing"   🙂

 

Edited by telnetd
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, telnetd said:

oops.  Meant "single"   🙂

I know. I don't mean to be mean. I'm not a Grammer Nazi, my unedited posts are often riddled with typos. I just can't resist the low hanging fruit of comedy, I regret that sometimes it can come at another's expense. I just hope it's lighthearted or so funny so they can laugh at it too.

Edited by Pyreaux
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

I went away from the handshake years ago before covid.

simple story, went to use the bathroom and noticed some people not washing hands afterwards.

Am I wrong?

Nope. Part of why I was happy to stop was the young man who picks his nose and the man (mentally disabled) who often scratches his groin. I understand that things get spread when people touch things and I am not constantly worried about that, but it still does not encourage me to shake their hands or make me want to only shake certain hands. 

Edited by Rain
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...