Introducing myself

Hello long-time lurker here.

I’m a Canadian graduate student here in the Great White North with an interest in the church, and its culture and doctrine.

I was raised in the church, served my mission stateside and identity as lgbtq+.

Seeing as this forum is largely comprised of and for practicing members, I respect and will abide by norms of this forum by not adding any unnecessary conflict.

Yet I’ll be quite honest, while many of the posters here are nuanced and engage in good faith arguments, one of the things that finally convinced me to participate on here is the lack of external voices, particularly nuanced or ‘progressive’ members/post-members who live outside the United States. 

There have been a few of such voices yes, but they seem to put up with a lot of flak on here- and it’s high time I roll up my sleeves and join the fun.

Good!   We could use a couple (hundred  ;)) more "thinkers" hereabouts!

Looking forward to fighting or agreeing with you soon!

(sarcasm) ;)

Another Canadian here - currently a researcher at UofC, but moving onto my PhD in September.

Politically neoliberal, religiously I'm a progressive fundamentalist. I mean both of those things unironically.

Welcome!

I've never seen members here as representing a faction.  But maybe I'm not here enough to see it.   I hope we all are working to live our discipleship of Jesus Christ fully and joyfully.    Glad to welcome everyone.

8 hours ago, halconero said:

Another Canadian here - currently a researcher at UofC, but moving onto my PhD in September.

Politically neoliberal, religiously I'm a progressive fundamentalist. I mean both of those things unironically.

Welcome!

Nice! And appreciated! I know Calgary quite well! 

9 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Looking forward to fighting or agreeing with you soon!

You and me both! And hopefully both! Even in my orthodox years I never really felt comfortable with ‘peace’. Not lively enough. Kinda assimilatory even.

I hope we all are working to live our discipleship of Jesus 

7 hours ago, rpn said:

Glad to welcome everyone

Much obliged! I’m a spicy nachos kinda guy and still figuring things out as far as discipleship goes. I know enough however to realize that the framework I grew up with was unsustainable. 

2 hours ago, Canadiandude said:

both! Even in my orthodox years I never really felt comfortable with ‘peace’. Not lively enough. Kinda assimilatory even.

His peace is what allows me to get up and fight. 

Glad you decided to start participating. I'm a 10 year convert from atheism. It's been quite a ride. I do live in Utah and it is hard to fit in because of the personal culture I bring with me to church.

16 minutes ago, JVW said:

Glad you decided to start participating. I'm a 10 year convert from atheism. It's been quite a ride. I do live in Utah and it is hard to fit in because of the personal culture I bring with me to church.

Welcome, I'm in Utah as well.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:27 PM, JVW said:

That’s fair. We all bring in something don’t we?

I’m probably leaning towards your prior position myself but can respect those with belief in the church, so long as they are trying to make it a safer, more equitable place.

I’m kinda a Red Tory politically so I find myself influenced by some aspects of the faith such as the importance of collective security, and a degree of pessimism regarding power relations between actors such as states. 

One might call this Realism though there’s many variations of this paradigm haha!

On 8/13/2021 at 10:27 PM, JVW said:

Welcome to you too.  I've been in Utah for almost 8 years.  It's a unique place as far as the church is concerned.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:50 PM, Canadiandude said:

I was raised in the church, served my mission stateside and identity as lgbtq+.

There have been a few of such voices yes, but they seem to put up with a lot of flak on here- and it’s high time I roll up my sleeves and join the fun.

BRING IT ON.

Because, hey - why not?  And welcome to the shoebox.