Seriously No Politics ×

Reconciling bruce r. McConkie

9 minutes ago, JAHS said:

President Heber H Grant once said:

"You always keep your eye on the President of the Church and if he ever tells you to do anything, and it is wrong, and you do it, the Lord will bless you for it."

We can't suspect that everything they say might be wrong. We have to have some degree of trust and faith in them, otherwise there will be disorder in the church and in our minds.

Why are prophets even a thing? Why not rely on our own inner compasses? Also, why aren't we listening to prophetesses??

Edited by Tacenda
33 minutes ago, JAHS said:

"You always keep your eye on the President of the Church and if he ever tells you to do anything, and it is wrong, and you do it, the Lord will bless you for it."

We can't suspect that everything they say might be wrong. We have to have some degree of trust and faith in them, otherwise there will be disorder in the church and in our minds.

So this off the cuff comment related to us second hand decades after the fact is what you base your belief on? Doesn’t that seem kind of flimsy to you? 

Edited by SeekingUnderstanding
40 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Why are prophets even a thing? Why not rely on our own inner compasses? Also, why aren't we listening to prophetesses??

This is one of your stranger posts.

Prophets are a thing because God said they are a thing.
Inner compasses are not a thing, unless you are referring to the light of Christ.  And the Holy Ghost is a higher revelator than that.
And which prophetesses are we ignoring?  I'd love to know.

44 minutes ago, JAHS said:

And he was wrong.

6 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Inner compasses are not a thing, unless you are referring to the light of Christ.  And the Holy Ghost is a higher revelator than that.

Which prophetesses are we ignoring? Name one in the LDS church? They have been squelched because of the inequality of women's authority in the church. 

To the bold: haha, thanks! Forgive my strange posts, I feel comfortable on the board, and you get to see the real me, no one sees. 

9 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Which prophetesses are we ignoring? Name one in the LDS church? They have been squelched because of the inequality of women's authority in the church. 

Well that depends on which definition of prophet you are using.
If you use the definition in the Book of Revelation then anyone with a testimony of Christ has the Spirit of Prophecy.  So that would include our Relief Society President when she speaks would it not?

As far as women having authority in the Church, both the Apostle Paul in the New Testament and Joseph Smith in our dispensation addressed that.
You can consider that outdated relic thought of the past, but it's not like we're ignoring God on the issue.

I guess based on your "inner compass" you can always create God in your own image and set whatever rules you like.

Edited by JLHPROF
1 minute ago, JLHPROF said:

Well that depends on which definition of prophet you are using.
If you use the definition in the Book of Revelation then anyone with a testimony of Christ has the Spirit of Prophecy.  So that would include our Relief Society President when she speaks would it not?

As far as women having authority in the Church, both the Apostle Paul in the New Testament and Joseph Smith in our dispensation addressed that.
You can consider that outdated relic thought of the past, but it's not like we're ignoring God on the issue.

I guess based on your "inner compass" you can always create God in your own image and set whatever rules you like.

No, I equate inner compasses as personal revelation which Pres Nelson has given many talks on as of late, I believe. Why wouldn't we be on par with prophets, why are they special and we aren't as far as comparing their revelation to ours? How can one trust a prophet when they are fallible? Why wouldn't we choose our own revelation and rely on our compass, the one we have that directs our lives, the lives we live, not the prophet. The prophet doesn't live in our lives normally, he's in his world, we're in our own worlds. He's not in our thoughts, he can't read all our minds. He isn't God.

The trustworthiness in prophets lessens the more we see they can be wrong and sometimes in dangerous ways. I'm thinking of other denominations that have prophets as well. What of the prophets that have condemned those that are gay in the past, and the lives that have been taken because of it? There are many examples I could give. What of the lives that have been harmed because of the law of polygamy (think Brigham Young) in it's day? Not all polygamous marriages were good, women and their children starved because of lack of care, and starved as far as human contact as well. 

13 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Well, John D. Lee didn't fare so well.

I really don’t believe Brigham Young was stupid enough to order Lee to attack a wagon train while he was working to negotiate some kind of truce with the federal government.

I don’t think prophetic counsel applies in his case.

16 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

No, I equate inner compasses as personal revelation which Pres Nelson has given many talks on as of late, I believe. Why wouldn't we be on par with prophets, why are they special and we aren't as far as comparing their revelation to ours? How can one trust a prophet when they are fallible? Why wouldn't we choose our own revelation and rely on our compass, the one we have that directs our lives, the lives we live, not the prophet. The prophet doesn't live in our lives normally, he's in his world, we're in our own worlds. He's not in our thoughts, he can't read all our minds. He isn't God.

The trustworthiness in prophets lessens the more we see they can be wrong and sometimes in dangerous ways. I'm thinking of other denominations that have prophets as well. What of the prophets that have condemned those that are gay in the past, and the lives that have been taken because of it? There are many examples I could give. What of the lives that have been harmed because of the law of polygamy (think Brigham Young) in it's day? Not all polygamous marriages were good, women and their children starved because of lack of care, and starved as far as human contact as well. 

It's an issue of authority, not spirituality.
You have every right to personal revelation and to live your life according to it.
A person doesn't have the right to receive revelation that is binding on someone else outside their authority.

The Prophet is the one appointed by the Lord to receive revelation to direct his Church.  It's not that complicated.

11 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I really don’t believe Brigham Young was stupid enough to order Lee to attack a wagon train while he was working to negotiate some kind of truce with the federal government.

I don’t think prophetic counsel applies in his case.

Actually, I believe Lee blamed Pres. George A. Smith of the First Presidency, and assumed it came from Pres. Young.

Per a quick Wiki search:
"in the Life and Confessions of John D. Lee he (or an editor) wrote, "I have always believed, since that day, that General George A. Smith was then visiting southern Utah to prepare the people for the work of exterminating Captain Fancher's train of emigrants, and I now believe that he was sent for that purpose by the direct command of Brigham Young."

Edited by JLHPROF
10 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

It's an issue of authority, not spirituality.
You have every right to personal revelation and to live your life according to it.
A person doesn't have the right to receive revelation that is binding on someone else outside their authority.

The Prophet is the one appointed by the Lord to receive revelation to direct his Church.  It's not that complicated.

I wouldn't prophesy for someone else, or tell them something is from God. That's what they call using the Lord's name in vain. Good thing I finally learned it doesn't have anything to do with swearing. 

38 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Actually, I believe Lee blamed Pres. George A. Smith of the First Presidency, and assumed it came from Pres. Young.

Per a quick Wiki search:
"in the Life and Confessions of John D. Lee he (or an editor) wrote, "I have always believed, since that day, that General George A. Smith was then visiting southern Utah to prepare the people for the work of exterminating Captain Fancher's train of emigrants, and I now believe that he was sent for that purpose by the direct command of Brigham Young."

So a member of the First Presidency was in the area so he assumed that it was about the wagon train and decided that was a kill order?

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:
2 hours ago, JAHS said:

And he was wrong.

OK, but says who? Your opinion I assume?

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

To the bold: haha, thanks! Forgive my strange posts, I feel comfortable on the board, and you get to see the real me, no one sees. 

My own wife was an incredible prophetess. She knew things were coming in the church before we heard it from the president of the church.

1 minute ago, JAHS said:

OK, but says who? Your opinion I assume?

Common sense I would think.
I missed the part where God is ok with sin if it's commanded by someone with a prophetic title.

1 hour ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

So this off the cuff comment related to us second hand decades after the fact is what you base your belief on? Doesn’t that seem kind of flimsy to you? 

President Benson agreed with it as recorded in the gospel doctrine manual "Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson" which we all studied in our church course.

15 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Common sense I would think.
I missed the part where God is ok with sin if it's commanded by someone with a prophetic title.

I'm not talking about sin; I am talking about church doctrines. I don't know of any prophet that has told me to sin.

7 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I'm not talking about sin; I am talking about church doctrines. I don't know of any prophet that has told me to sin.

That's like saying it's not a sin if God tells you to do it.  But what exactly are you talking about?  Replace the word "sin" with some explicit action and then say whether or not you think that act is or was or would be a sin.

Like, I don't know of any prophet that has told me to kill someone when that act of killing someone was or would be a sin.  Seriously.  I don't know of any prophet who has done that.

Edited by bOObOO
1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

Per a quick Wiki search:

For the sources behind the Confessions, and a bit of its history, see Richard Turley, "Problems with Mountain Meadows Massacre Sources" in BYU Studes 47:3, 2008.  

https://byustudies.byu.edu/article/problems-with-mountain-meadows-massacre-sources/

Also worth a close look, Hugh Nibley's discussion of Lee's journals and the book his attourney published after his death, in Tinkling Brass and Sounding Symbols, in the "Is there a Danite in the House? You Never Know" chapter, pages 668-679. 

FWIW,

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA

3 hours ago, JAHS said:

True, but what if this was one of the uncommon errors?  What if the Lord places more value on us seeking his Spirit to follow with guidance from prophets rather than dependency on prophets, such that when prophets are wrong, he holds us accountable if we don’t seek the Spirit and instead just go ahead and do it, assuming the Lord is okay with that?

Edited by Calm
13 minutes ago, Calm said:

True, but what if this was one of the uncommon errors?  What if the Lord places more value on us seeking his Spirit to follow with guidance from prophets rather than dependency on prophets, such that when prophets are wrong, he holds us accountable if we don’t seek the Spirit and instead just go ahead and do it, assuming the Lord is okay with that?

The guidance I normally seek from God is how to apply a certain directive or doctrine to my life that has come from the prophet or even decide if it applies to me at all. 
There are doctrines of knowledge or interpretations of doctrines that a prophet might declare, but whether he is right or wrong they are not the kind that would put my eternal life in jeopardy.  Like I said before I don't know of any prophet that has told me to actually do something wrong that would cause me to commit sin.

41 minutes ago, Calm said:

The Lord would have not even given us personal revelation if he had not wanted us to use it, and Moroni 10 4-5 would not exist.

Blind obedience leads to Jonestown, not the Celestial Kingdom 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

Edited by mfbukowski
4 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Given the track record of prophets I will stick to my own critical thinking skills and inner compass.

5 hours ago, Kevin Christensen said:

I don't need to set myself up as anything other than a member of a covenant society trying to do my best where I am.  I did notice that as a Prophet Elder Benson was considerably softer in tone than he was as an apostle.  I think he may have learned something he did not know before.

I noticed that to. As soon as he became prophet his main topic he spoke on was usually about the Book of Mormon.