Is visiting other church's 'inappropriate'

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Option 2 would be the best fit or me, personally.  Why would you ever think otherwise?

When I signed up to create an account on this board I agreed, through my use of this service, that I would not use this message board to post any material which I know is false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate of any law.

I did not agree that I would not create another account if a board Moderator banned an account I used in the past to create posts on this board.

I also did not agree that everyone who views my posts will agree that my posts are not false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate of any law.

Some say or think my posts are false when I know they are not false.

Some say or think my posts are abusive when I know they are not abusive.

Some say or think my posts are hateful when I know they are not hateful.

Etc, etc, etc.  For example, the board Nemesis issued warnings of abuse to accounts I created when I knew I had not been abusive.  And recently she or he (the board Nemesis) simply banned accounts I created to post on this board which left me with no account to post with, so I then had to create another account to be able to post.

So what you are seeing as I continue to post on this board is not me breaking some board rule that I agreed to when I created an account to post with.  I have kept up my end of the deal and yet the board Nemesis has continued to ban my accounts.  And no I do not agree with the idea that my accounts are “sock puppets” because my idea of a sock puppet is based on the definition which says a sock puppet is: An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously.  And my accounts don’t fit that definition because every account I post with is very clearly and obviously me PLUS I do not consider a banned account to be a valid account, so if all are banned I essentially do not have one.

So here I am with another account to post with and I fully intend to agree with all of the board rules, as I understand them, based on my knowledge of what is right and what is wrong.  You and others will no doubt continue to disagree with me, I am sure, but that is all part of the fun with all of us being able to share our thoughts with each other here on this board.

Just because you repeat a lie multiple times, doesn’t make it true. 

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

And Ray and Churchill and some other names you still don't seem to be aware of.  Glad to see you do know who is speaking to you, at least a little bit.

Well, I did ask earlier if I'd missed any!  Spill it!

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

The content of what I say is the part I want you to think about.  The name I use to say what I say is not really important.

The content is what keeps getting you banned.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

No, it is some people's hatred of what I write that keeps getting me banned.  To hate is to want to get rid of something.  To love is to try to nurture and teach and edify.  People on this board obviously hate me and want to get rid of me around here.

Being extremely annoyed is not the same as hatred.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

No, it is some people's hatred of what I write that keeps getting me banned.  To hate is to want to get rid of something.  To love is to try to nurture and teach and edify.  People on this board obviously hate me and want to get rid of me around here.

You’re not that special  

What gets you banned is your repeated violation of board rules.  Just because you are unwilling to accept reality doesn’t make it any less real. 

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

The content of what I say is the part I want you to think about.  The name I use to say what I say is not really important.

The presentation of what you say is the part you want to think about.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:54 AM, sheilauk said:

If/when you do, bear in mind that Church of England services vary substantially and one service isn't as representative as attending one LDS service would be. To start with,  there is the high church/low church split.  Some are very traditional,  others can be very evangelical,  or very modern.  The nature of the service very much depends on the style of the vicar and the wardens. There are 3 C of England churches in the town I recently lived in.  I've been to services in all of them and they were all very different,  even different hymn books! I'm sure it will be interesting though! And they have some very beautiful buildings. I enjoy photographing churches and cathedrals. Christmas  would be a good time to visit,  the services are often at different times and there will be one on Christmas day whether its a Sunday or not. Midnight Mass on Christmas eve is often very enjoyable.  Or a christingles service which is often held in the evening.

Interesting! I've visited some of these churches during the week and have taken lots of photos. In a couple of cases, I've featured interior/exterior shots of local churches as part of my Yank in Sussex documentary videos. 

6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I wonder if the board can give Ahab a chance to redeem himself, and be able to come clean and not have to keep creating accounts in order to post. Can someone get a break here? 

If he has not made too much work for the mods such that they don’t trust he will show any restraint, if he were to walk away for several months and then ask the mods to take him back, there might be hope...but he may have burned that bridge by his creating a need for them to constantly babysit the board.

Just now, Calm said:

If he has not made too much work for the mods such that they don’t trust he will show any restraint, if he were to walk away for several months and then ask the mods to take him back, there might be hope...but he may have burned that bridge by his creating a need for them to constantly babysit the board.

I know from personal experience that a repentant soul is sometimes welcome after a period of penance.

1 minute ago, jkwilliams said:

I know from personal experience that a repentant soul is sometimes welcome after a period of penance.

You're assuming the person behind the masks feels anything resembling remorse.  I don't see much foundation for that assumption.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Option 2 would be the best fit or me, personally.  Why would you ever think otherwise?

Because the rules include not creating another account if you have been banned.  

1 minute ago, ttribe said:

You're assuming the person behind the masks feels anything resembling remorse.  I don't see much foundation for that assumption.

Which is likely the main reason mods wouldn’t take him back because they would guess it was just restarting the cycle...but they may be more patient than I am.

9 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

#WeAreAllAhab

6 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Well in your case, then, that was surely a mistake.

🤨🤪😉

(For those who are sarcasm impaired, and are slow learners, just know that this is an example)

1 hour ago, Raingirl said:

What gets you banned is your repeated violation of board rules.

It is why I report him and there is a good chance I have been the one who reports him the most (based on how often I see people disappear for a bit after I make a report, I don’t think many others use the option).  I have also given him rep points over the years for some good posts where he managed to say something profound without the overcomplex language.  Since I don’t think Ahab is malicious, I finally just put him on ignore due to not wanting to deal with unraveling his more convoluted posts, but he robs me of that option by creating a new alias...so if he is forcing me to read him...even if just long enough to recognize the style, I am going to report him when he breaks the rules and not just for his most extreme posts.  I do feel an obligation to the mods to help the board be the version they want because it has been a great blessing in my life, so I report when stuff registers with me and it appears to be intentionally breaking rules or even if unintentional, is too far off the board’s standards.

And I am being public about it now in hopes he finally gets the message he needs to adapt to the board as the board has adapted as far as it is willing to him.

Edited by Calm
15 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Interesting! I've visited some of these churches during the week and have taken lots of photos. In a couple of cases, I've featured interior/exterior shots of local churches as part of my Yank in Sussex documentary videos. 

Beautiful churches and interesting videos!  You have a drone!  I enjoyed them, very well done.  I used to live in East Sussex. Btw, did you know that when first built, the walls would have been highly and colourfully decorated, not the white plaster or even bare stone that we see now.  The decoration was done away with during Cromwell’s Puritanism. He and Henry VIII did much to change religion in England!

2 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

I could have sworn he was Ishmael before. Maybe that was a different iteration of the board. 

Ahab, Ishmael...natural connection.  Unless the mods deleted some accounts (and looking at the membership list that seems unlikely as they go back to the original, including early banned ones), he couldn’t create a new alias that has already been used.  

24 minutes ago, Calm said:

Because the rules include not creating another account if you have been banned.  

Yes, but if one does NOT follow the rules....

If the mods let it go, all moderation and the board itself could disappear.

It's like ransomware, or kidnapping, which effectively is what is happening.

How much of everyone's time and bandwidth  is being wasted?

Paying up ransome makes stopping the practice impossible 

You'd just have to close down the board or load it with trash

This poster has claimed he doesn't sinned in years 

His pride and infallibility is unlimited

No, he just breaks Covenants. We post here under a promise to obey the rules, that apparently don't apply to him

I like the guy personally but having to deal with his behavior in taking over a discussion is just a pain in the .....

Edited by mfbukowski
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

So what you are seeing as I continue to post on this board is not me breaking some board rule that I agreed to when I created an account to post with. 

Ahab, please, please, please, for your own well being, recognize this isn’t true.  It is very concerning you are willing to ignore the long-standing and very clear rule of avoiding banning by creating a new account.  It is not one of the unwritten rules.

BANNED BEHAVIORS include but are not limited to:
• Spamming or advertising products, publications, or websites...
Creating another user name (sock puppet) to get around suspension or banning
• Contacting anyone who doesn't want to be contacted

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/66539-board-guidelines-update-please-review-before-posting/#comments

You may not be lying to others in that you have convinced yourself it is okay to ignore that requirement, but you are lying to yourself.  It isn’t worth it.

my idea of a sock puppet is based on the definition which says a sock puppet is

That is not how the moderators are defining it and you should understand about variations of definitions if anyone does.  Can you be charitable and read the rule how the mods mean it?

If the parentheses are removed and the label of sock puppet gone, would you then interpret the rule as never create a new account when banned or suspended?

Edited by Calm
9 minutes ago, Calm said:

Ahab, Ishmael...natural connection.  Unless the mods deleted some accounts (and looking at the membership list that seems unlikely as they go back to the original, including early banned ones), he couldn’t create a new alias that has already been used.  

What’s next? Queequeg?

2 minutes ago, sheilauk said:

Beautiful churches and interesting videos!  You have a drone!  I enjoyed them, very well done.  I used to live in East Sussex. Btw, did you know that when first built, the walls would have been highly and colourfully decorated, not the white plaster or even bare stone that we see now.  The decoration was done away with during Cromwell’s Puritanism. He and Henry VIII did much to change religion in England!

My wife and I are planning our first trip together to the UK next year.  She went there a while back with her sister, but it will be my first time.  We got a killer deal on round-trip tickets from Salt Lake to Inverness.  My great-great-grandfather Alexander F. Macdonald, was born in Camus-luinie (Kintail parish, ) in 1825.  He was the first ancestor on my father's side to join the Church.  He was also one of the first missionaries to visit Inverness, and in fact I think he opened the first branch of the Church there.

Meanwhile, my wife's ancestors are mostly from Ireland and Wales.  We haven't fully sorted out our itinerary, but we might take a hop over to Ireland in addition to exploring the Highlands.

Thanks,

-Smac

32 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Well in your case, then, that was surely a mistake.

🤨🤪😉

(For those who are sarcasm impaired, and are slow learners, just know that this is an example)

I’d imagine Nemesis regrets it every day. 

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

When I signed up to create an account on this board I agreed, through my use of this service, that I would not use this message board to post any material which I know is false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate of any law.

I did not agree that I would not create another account if a board Moderator banned an account I used in the past to create posts on this board.

I also did not agree that everyone who views my posts will agree that my posts are not false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate of any law.

Some say or think my posts are false when I know they are not false.

Some say or think my posts are abusive when I know they are not abusive.

Some say or think my posts are hateful when I know they are not hateful.

Etc, etc, etc.  For example, the board Nemesis issued warnings of abuse to accounts I created when I knew I had not been abusive.  And recently she or he (the board Nemesis) simply banned accounts I created to post on this board which left me with no account to post with, so I then had to create another account to be able to post.

So what you are seeing as I continue to post on this board is not me breaking some board rule that I agreed to when I created an account to post with.  I have kept up my end of the deal and yet the board Nemesis has continued to ban my accounts.  And no I do not agree with the idea that my accounts are “sock puppets” because my idea of a sock puppet is based on the definition which says a sock puppet is: An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously.  And my accounts don’t fit that definition because every account I post with is very clearly and obviously me PLUS I do not consider a banned account to be a valid account, so if all are banned I essentially do not have one.

So here I am with another account to post with and I fully intend to agree with all of the board rules, as I understand them, based on my knowledge of what is right and what is wrong.  You and others will no doubt continue to disagree with me, I am sure, but that is all part of the fun with all of us being able to share our thoughts with each other here on this board.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

You are not interpreting the rules as others do, so you are taking advantage of those who do

If everyone did this, chaos would ensue and moderation would be useless

The board would be useless as it nearly is now.

We have very few "real scholars" left.

They even let me post here

Edited by mfbukowski