Church discipline proceedings on a member who no longer lives in the stake boundaries?

13 minutes ago, Amulek said:

Don't do it.

I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!!!

Fool me once...

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ttribe said:

I always try to stay at least one step ahead of them...

On a not-unrelated note, is there a modern cure for the vapours, or is it still smelling salts?

Edited by jkwilliams
6 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

On a not-unrelated note, is there a modern cure for the vapours, or is it still smelling salts?

Definitely the ice bucket challenge.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Like your accusing the Church of Jesus Christ of “coercing” it’s members?  

Born and raised in the Church, active in it all my life, I’ve yet to encounter a single instance of coercion, not even from fellow members acting on their own part who, like me, are imperfect. 

You probably weren't told to marry a woman and promised if you did you would become straight did you.  Tell me that wouldn't have changed your entire life as well as the person you married.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, california boy said:

You probably weren't told to marry a woman and promised if you did you would become straight did you.  Tell me that wouldn't have changed your entire life as well as the person you married.

Sorry, but that doesn’t strike me as coercion, even if what you were told could be blamed on the Church, which, I’m not convinced it could. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

As I said, you're grossly exaggerating what I said. But I do enjoy seeing you in high dudgeon mode.

“Dudgeon”? Nah. You’re engaging in histrionics again. 

But if I were you, I’d be wary of using that word. I know what it means, but a person I know was permanently banned from this board for applying it to another poster when a member of the moderation team didn’t know the definition but was apparently certain it must be something perfectly vile. 

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/70223-woman-loses-temple-recommend-for-talking-about-her-divorce/page/19/

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

“Dudgeon”? Nah. You’re engaging in histrionics again. 

But if I were you, I’d be wary of using that word. I know what it means, but a person I know was permanently banned from this board for applying it to another poster when a member of the moderation team didn’t know the definition but was apparently certain it must be something perfectly vile. 

Now that’s funny. No histrionics here, just enjoying the show. 

3 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Now that’s funny. No histrionics here, just enjoying the show. 

I’ll be here all week. Tell your friends. 

And try the chicken. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’ll be here all week. Tell your friends. 

And try the chicken. 

Now that’s offensive. 

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Sorry, but that doesn’t strike me as coercion, even if what you were told could be blamed on the Church, which, I’m not convinced it could. 

Of course you don't

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

It is unfortunate, but I see Helfer and others’ constant pushing of the narrative she was excommunicated for her therapy work as a more likely cause of fewer members seeking help than her actual excommunication as causing some to question the acceptance of therapy in the Church. If she had kept quiet about it, few would know in the first place and second, a number might have made assumptions that it was for other reasons. Plus it should be clear to the vast majority of members that publicly speaking out against the Church is the foundational issue, not therapy itself. 

It is not like the bishop or SP can access a database that lists everyone seeking therapy or the reasons why they do it. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1