Seriously No Politics ×

The Renlunds have covid

7 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

I keep hearing stories like this of people who keep all the rules and still get infected. It scares me. Today I virtually attended my friend’s funeral. (Covid)

If someone else in the family brings something home, even if perfect outside the home big chance one will get it.  According to one study iirc, if one was wearing masks at home before someone showed symptoms, there was a 70% reduction over no masks, but even there 30% getting it isn’t great.  And wearing a mask after someone in the house shows symptoms there was no benefit as already exposed enough. 

I figured we were guaranteed to be getting it given my husband is a professor and his classes are 1 1/2 hours long and then he stays later to discuss stuff on more one to one, so long enough to build up a decent viral load from aerosols. But that was before they went online classes. And the vaccines are close to getting out and I think he rates 3 in line iirc plus my daughter and I may be seen as high risk enough to get it earlier as well, so we may avoiding getting it after all. 

57 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

I keep hearing stories like this of people who keep all the rules and still get infected. It scares me. Today I virtually attended my friend’s funeral. (Covid)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend☹️ I don't know how all that stuff works, but yeah I hope they recover. Our Stake President got it but he recovered, he works at a Hospital so it's no surprise where he got it

16 hours ago, Rivers said:

The fact that people can have mild symptoms or be asymptotic is the scary thing about this virus.  Anybody could be potentially walking around with the virus and not know it.  

There is a really interesting theory that   the amount of viral load by which one is infected makes a difference to the severity of the disease.  This may be why the severity of the illness varies so much among people.

I’m glad the Renlunds have mild cases.

There’s also a theory that light cases don’t give as much protection against reinfection but I’m not sure how much followup has been done on the preliminary studies. 

9 hours ago, carbon dioxide said:

If there is a game that accurately portrays Coronavirus it is Duck Duck Goose.  It is just so random in how it affects people.  I know they say its not a biological weapon but it is just so different from other viruses that its sometimes is hard to fully accept that.

It is a novel virus so until it figures out the best way to multiply in its host organism, the symptoms will be all over the place. The same with the individual immune system. 

It's spiking around people I know. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law have it, and she can't taste or smell. And a good friend has it and was very ill, and it got in her lungs, she's on the mend now. Her son probably gave it to her, he's a single adult but living at home. Her husband tested negative but he has to have another test, he works at Layton Hospital. 

Edited by Tacenda
On 12/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, carbon dioxide said:

If there is a game that accurately portrays Coronavirus it is Duck Duck Goose.  It is just so random in how it affects people.  I know they say its not a biological weapon but it is just so different from other viruses that its sometimes is hard to fully accept that.

That's OK.  We're close to normalizing relations with the Chinese government, meaning that we won't have to ask questions like that.  (It'll be just like Orwell's 1984: Virus?  What virus?  Sick is well!)

Edited by Kenngo1969

I'm surprised this thread hasn't morphed into a forum for speculation about how many people the Renlunds have infected, and who they are.  It's a pity we couldn't extend the Gongs the same courtesy.

3 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

A good friend of mine, who was my elders q president when I was bishop, just died from Covid.  In good health.  Left a large family behind.  Was in his 50s. 

Although I never knew your friend, I'm pretty sure he had more to live for than I do.  If there were any justice in the world, I could have volunteered to go in his place, but, unfortunately, that's not how the world works.  I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by Kenngo1969
21 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

I am learning there is always something to live for.  Even if only for your own miserable self. 

I hope that's true.  Certainly, I'm not going to do anything drastic.