Seriously No Politics ×

Hype for April 2019 Conference

5 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Though the talk wasn't published by the church (stricken from the record), it was published in Sunstone Magazine. https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/015-43-46.pdf

Thanks. I knew I had it somewhere. Thanks also for the link. 

27 minutes ago, Navidad said:

If I remember correctly, one of the only General Conference talks to be stricken completely from the conference record was by Elder Richards in 1932. It was a fascinating talk about the word of wisdom. I think it was Heber J Grant that ordered its removal from the conference record. Somewhere here I have a copy of that record and sure enough, the talk never happened! It is floating around on the internet now. Read it; it is a great talk!

I have never read it....but I will now!  Thanks :) (And thanks also HJW for posting a link to it....)

56 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Though the talk wasn't published by the church (stricken from the record), it was published in Sunstone Magazine. https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/015-43-46.pdf

ETA- Interesting quote from the talk.

This is good stuff.

Marvelous talk. Also interesting bit of LDS trivia. Also a lot of truth to it!

20 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t disagree. ;)  I bet a lot of people would be disoriented by such a thing. 

Remember when coke was newly sold on campus? How many under 40 were affected? Not nearly as big a deal but I certainly know people who have never drank caffeine at all.  I’m sure that change was alarming for some. 

Incidentally, would you be comfortable sharing here what you would be tickled to get a pass on? I showed you mine. I don’t think mine was terribly shameful, incidentally. 

Fasting once a month. I’ve always found that difficult. 

I don’t disbelieve in the principle or advocate against it. I just have a hard time living it. 

One other interesting thing about Elder Richards (I am a church history buff so I think a lot of things are interesting that probably aren't!). His full name was Stephen L Richards. His middle name was actually "L"     I don't know the story behind it, but it is properly written without the period (.) behind the L because L was the full extent of his middle name. And now you know the rest of the story! 

On 3/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, Navidad said:

I am a bit confused. If revelation to the leaders is the direct voice (word) of God, then what difference would the age, life experience, or personal beliefs of the one receiving the revelation make? Just how involved is the one receiving the message in its interpretation and dissemination to the folks?

Don't we believe that Joseph Smith's age, experience, and beliefs played into the revelation that he sought and received?

It seems that one's circumstances have much to do with both the questions one asks of the Lord and ones receptivity to the answers.

We have also been taught that the will of the Lord is recognized by the FP and Q12 when they reach consensus on a particular matter.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, MustardSeed said:

Incidentally, would you be comfortable sharing here what you would be tickled to get a pass on? I showed you mine. I don’t think mine was terribly shameful, incidentally. 

You didn't ask me, but I've been thinking about this, and I've only been able to come up with one thing: early morning seminary. I'd love to see a more workable replacement.

I'd also love to stop having stake presidency meeting at 6am every Sunday, but that's a local choice and one I seem incapable of shifting.

12 hours ago, ALarson said:

Yes, I'd agree and that is acceptance and change in the church (regarding sexual revolution).  So, it's not a huge leap to believe there could be more acceptance and change regarding same-sex relationships (with the same moral guidelines as heterosexual relationships and marriages).  I actually believe that will happen.  Maybe not with the leaders we now have, but when the younger generations are the leaders.

Two issues changed out of ? (And they relating to direct, clear cut health issues...physical burden on mother potentially leading early death is addressed by both though not only reason) in terms of what is now allowed makes it possible, but not probable in my view since the majority have no movement on them.

13 hours ago, Prof said:

When I was a kid, cola was forbidden! Period! That was understood by everyone in the ward!

Where did you live and when?  Me, 60s-80s in California and Illinois, I was taught it was a choice.  We always got coke when vomiting (maybe why I prefer Pepsi, lol).  And the reason we didn't get it otherwise was the caffeine was seen as bad for health generally, not part of the WoW (sleep disorders is part of my family history going back generations on both sides).  Mom paid attention to health info.  She made everything from scratch except the occasional cake mix.  

Edit:  saw answer was given...

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Two issues changed out of ? 

It’s still change.  No one can deny there’s been changes and that there will be more. What those will be?  I don’t know, but there will be more changes coming from our leaders.  Do you disagree?

I know many who are excited about this and can’t wait for conference to hear what President Nelson will be doing next.  I hear so many talk about this now.

Edited by JulieM
12 minutes ago, JulieM said:

It’s still change.  No one can deny there’s been changes and that there will be more. What those will be?  I don’t know, but there will be more changes coming from our leaders.  Do you disagree?

Well, my scale shows a drop of three pounds without me trying in two days, so I can take that to mean I  will be 50 lbs lighter in 3 months or I can look at it as perhaps a response to something very specific (was watching something particularly  interesting in the middle of the night and couldn't be bothered to get up and get something to eat at my usual hunger time) and therefore not a general precursor.

I could point to the changes in portraying modesty in the past 60 years (no more sleeveless, shorts and skirts longer or even no shorts or capris allowed at activities) and therefore predict based on that change, that more rigid, limited definitions of morality are on the horizon,

I don't see any truly fundamental changes over issues of defined immorality besides no longer interpreting abortion and birth control as not automatically immoral (both can be viewed as immoral still if used for selfish reasons or to be able to participate in immoral situations without fear of pregnancy complications) and I haven't seen those budge for over 40 years, iirc.

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I used to feel that way. Then, when I was serving as YM president, I was once sitting in the temple, praying for my boys, many of whom were struggling.

In prayer, I asked, 'What more can I do for them? I would do anything', I added.

'Hamba, you could fast for them'.

'I already fast for them. Every single month'.

'You could fast for them every week'.

'Wait, what? Fasting nearly kills me as it is'.

'Didn't you just say that you'd do anything?'

So I started fasting every single week. I was released 6.5 years ago, and I still haven't stopped. I've learnt to delight in fasting. And though I have added many reasons to fast, I'm still fasting for my boys, one of whom has invited himself over tonight for tea and a chat. He's just started uni, and he's struggling. But we'll get through this.

Thank you for that insight. I pray that I will have a similar one one day. 

On an intellectual level, if not quite a spiritual level, I can see how fasting could be an instrument for deliverance, in which case I think I too might come to view it as a delight. 

On 12/10/2018 at 3:55 PM, rockpond said:

We could certainly use more clarity on our teachings regarding gender.  That would be nice.

One would have thought that the Proclomation on the Family provided the “clarity” on gender.

15 hours ago, Navidad said:

One other interesting thing about Elder Richards (I am a church history buff so I think a lot of things are interesting that probably aren't!). His full name was Stephen L Richards. His middle name was actually "L"     I don't know the story behind it, but it is properly written without the period (.) behind the L because L was the full extent of his middle name. And now you know the rest of the story! 

I actually know the story behind that.  His mother wanted to give him cover in case he, notwithstanding his saintly nature, was overcome with the urge to swear.  "Oh, L!" ;):D  I had an Advanced Placement English teacher in high school who used to sing, "Oh, Hel, oh, Hel, oh Helen I love you!" ;):D

26 minutes ago, reubendunn1 said:

One would have thought that the Proclomation on the Family provided the “clarity” on gender.

For some, it does.

10 hours ago, Calm said:

Where did you live and when?  Me, 60s-80s in California and Illinois, I was taught it was a choice.  We always got coke when vomiting (maybe why I prefer Pepsi, lol).  And the reason we didn't get it otherwise was the caffeine was seen as bad for health generally, not part of the WoW (sleep disorders is part of my family history going back generations on both sides).  Mom paid attention to health info.  She made everything from scratch except the occasional cake mix.  

Edit:  saw answer was given...

When I was in middle school (Phoenix, not the Mormon-dense area of Mesa/Gilbert) I confessed to my Bishop that I drank Pepsi when it was offered to me.  His response:  If someone offered you a beer, would you drink that?  In consequence, I swore off caffeinated drinks.  Until my mission... it was in my first area, probably on my first day -- lunch at an investigator's house: She served us Pepsi with lunch (I find it funny that it was Pepsi again as I am now a Diet Coke drinker).  At first I declined but my trainer indicated that I should accept it.  He later explained that the water from their home would not have been good to drink and that it was okay if I drank caffeinated beverages.