Prince is dead, Long Live Prince

bcuzbcuz

He had an enormous ego, but his music was marvelous. He was Jehovah Witness but you have to admire someone who despite his need for hip surgery, decided against it because it would violate his belief in the sacred nature of blood. Anyone who puts his beliefs above his own needs warrants my admiration, even if I don't share his beliefs.

I was raising my family in the 70's - 90's. So didn't pay much attention to popular music. When my kids were old enough to choose their own music, their favorites were groups like Depesche Mode.

Prince was a fantastic artist. Condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

Edited by thesometimesaint

I know next to nothing about Prince.

Over the years I have repeatedly become disenchanted with show business people, pop music stars in particular, after learning of their incessant indulgences in drug abuse, sexual immorality, etc.

As a devout Jehovah's Witness, did Prince go against the grain in the pop music world in terms of his personal standards of behavior?

Also, for a while at least, wasn't he referred to as "the artist formerly known as Prince"?

3 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I know next to nothing about Prince.

Over the years I have repeatedly become disenchanted with show business people, pop music stars in particular, after learning of their incessant indulgences in drug abuse, sexual immorality, etc.

As a devout Jehovah's Witness, did Prince go against the grain in the pop music world in terms of his personal standards of behavior?

Also, for a while at least, wasn't he referred to as "the artist formerly known as Prince"?

According to Wikipedia he joined the Jehovah's Witnesses in 2001. I don't know what religion he had before that. As for his name Wikipedia explains: "1993 also marked the year in which Prince changed his stage name to Prince logo.svg, which was explained as a combination of the symbols for male (♂) and female (♀). In order to use the symbol in print media, Warner Bros. had to organize a mass mailing of floppy disks with a custom font. The symbol was soon dubbed "The Love Symbol" and Prince was referred to as "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince"."

19 minutes ago, mapman said:

As for his name Wikipedia explains: "1993 also marked the year in which Prince changed his stage name to Prince logo.svg, which was explained as a combination of the symbols for male (♂) and female (♀). In order to use the symbol in print media, Warner Bros. had to organize a mass mailing of floppy disks with a custom font. The symbol was soon dubbed "The Love Symbol" and Prince was referred to as "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince"."

I read that some who knew him stated that he changed his name to that unpronounceable symbol to mess with Warner Bros. as he wasn't happy with them at the time.   

Here's something I just found on it:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11481686/prince-name-change-symbol-why

"The name change may have been an irritation tactic

Now, it's worth noting that Prince never came out and said he was trying to anger Warner Bros. music division with the name change. But he hinted as much many times, and the fact that he returned to using the name Prince in 2000 — after he'd been released from his contract — suggests that this was the reason for the name change all along."

Edited by ALarson
26 minutes ago, Ahab said:

52 years,  364 days, and how many hours? before we can do the ordinances for him in one of the Lord's temples?

Just trying to somehow make his death a topic that should be on this board. 

I'm not saying you have to enjoy Prince's music. I didn't think that shared appreciation was a standard here.

I'd never really latched onto Prince or David Bowie.  Now that they are gone, I see that they were some of the most talented and creative artists.  But recently I watched Prince's Superbowl act and realized how much I loved his voice.  And was excited to buy some of CD's of his.  Too bad some of them were lyrics that were a little too risque for my style.  I was hoping he'd have some more PG material.  And then he had to go an die on me. Tonight 20/20 will have a special about his life.  Posting his Superbowl concert here. ETA:  A treat was listening to the interview of the next YouTube right after.

Edited by Tacenda
32 minutes ago, bcuzbcuz said:

I'm not saying you have to enjoy Prince's music. I didn't think that shared appreciation was a standard here.

No, just that topics should be relative to the gospel or the Church, which is why I was trying to think of something to make this topic appropriate for this board.  Otherwise it should be on the What's In The News board or the Social board. 

So do you how long we have to wait before we can do his ordinances for him?  When is his 110th birthday as a mortal?

Edited by Ahab
I typed 120th, I meant 110th
21 minutes ago, Ahab said:

No, just that topics should be relative to the gospel or the Church, which is why I was trying to think of something to make this topic appropriate for this board.  Otherwise it should be on the What's In The News board or the Social board. 

So do you how long we have to wait before we can do his ordinances for him?  When is his 110th birthday as a mortal?

We admire, in fact, demand that members of faith live by the Words of Wisdom. Someone who is not Mormon but lives according to the precepts of his or her faith should be be equally of note, nevertheless. The topics here are faith, not just faith narrowly defined within LDS margins. People who are only newsworthy because of faith as we define it makes for a very thin groul.

4 minutes ago, bcuzbcuz said:

We admire, in fact, demand that members of faith live by the Words of Wisdom. Someone who is not Mormon but lives according to the precepts of his or her faith should be be equally of note, nevertheless. The topics here are faith, not just faith narrowly defined within LDS margins. People who are only newsworthy because of faith as we define it makes for a very thin groul.

A Word of Wisdom themed thread, then.  

Maybe now this thread will not be moved to some other board.

And yes I was impressed when hearing that he ate as a vegan, like me.  The best way to live by the Word of Wisdom like me.

As I talked about his passing with my wife today I learned something about the flu that I had not realized before. I thought people who die from the flu are either very old or very young, or rare cases involving autoimmune deficiencies. Strange to think that he may have died from the flu,  which is what I think most people think Prince died from.  Maybe he also had some autoimmune problems.  He may have also had diabetes. 

Anyway,  in about 52 years we'll be able to give him the ordinances for eternal life. Until then maybe he'll sing some of his songs to some of the people who he is now with.

1 hour ago, USU78 said:

Who?

I think "the artist formerly known as Prince" is the most appropriate response. 

When he changed his name from Prince to a very strange looking symbol he then became someone whose name can not be pronounced... unless we use 1 or more of his previous names. 

1 hour ago, ALarson said:

I read that some who knew him stated that he changed his name to that unpronounceable symbol to mess with Warner Bros. as he wasn't happy with them at the time.   

Here's something I just found on it:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11481686/prince-name-change-symbol-why

"The name change may have been an irritation tactic

Now, it's worth noting that Prince never came out and said he was trying to anger Warner Bros. music division with the name change. But he hinted as much many times, and the fact that he returned to using the name Prince in 2000 — after he'd been released from his contract — suggests that this was the reason for the name change all along."

That's pretty awesome if true.