Seriously No Politics ×

When Is It Time To Get A Super Hot Lawyer And Chase Him With An Ambulance?

Country Boy I can totally see why this bothers you. We all have our button when people make such comments about groups we are a part of and that should help us be sensitive to others when things like that are said.

If someone speaks up about negative stereotypes we shouldn't get defensive. We should listen and learn not to use them. That doesn't make us a pushover, but a caring person.

Meanwhile I really don't think Morningstar meant to give offense. I suspect she is the listening and caring type who will learn from countryboy.

Could we now turn this thread back to her needs and everything else can be continued on another thread if actually needed?

Country Boy I can totally see why this bothers you. We all have our button when people make such comments about groups we are a part of and that should help us be sensitive to others when things like that are said.

If someone speaks up about negative stereotypes we shouldn't get defensive. We should listen and learn not to use them. That doesn't make us a pushover, but a caring person.

Meanwhile I really don't think Morningstar meant to give offense. I suspect she is the listening and caring type who will learn from countryboy.

Could we now turn this thread back to her needs and everything else can be continued on another thread if actually needed?

Wow.

Finally a caring comment.

Edited by CountryBoy

I find myself caught in between on this thread... between a friend I've known for some time... and come to understand her humor as she posts... MorningStar...

and, CountryBoy, who I've recently discovered and come to know as family... cousins...

He does not know MorningStar as I do... does not know her humor... only saw her reference in the thread title to a term that is part of the continual litany of jokes, some uncouth, about his profession as a lawyer... a litany that has become tiresome at best...

He expressed offense at the broad brushstroke painted about ambulance chasing lawyers... particularly on a board such as this. 

And we jumped on him as if he had no right to feel any resentment or offense... I would hope two things... one that when MS reads these posts, that she will understand that while not intended, her term "ambulance chasing lawyers" carried a sting for CB because he tries to be honorable in serving his clients... and acknowledge that such a term can be offensive...

and then two, that CB will understand that no offense was intended, and we in turn will see that jumping on the one that was offended was not the way we should behave...

GG

Wow.

Finally a caring comment.

Thing is, I have a thick skin...but having been an attorney for 25 years, I cannot tell you how old comments like that have become. I get very tired of the jokes, comments, etc. Been dealing with them almost half my life. I guess I just never expected it here....and then to be chastised for expressing my feelings

Much earlier today, I tried to privately message MorningStar to offer my help....not to represent her...but to offer some guidance.....As a managing attorney (yes...one can be a very good attorney and still get offended after 25 years of name calling) of a personal injury department, I have knowledge that might be helpful. However, when I messaged her, it said she could not receive messages at this time.

Remember, there are General Authorities who are attorneys. I doubt they would appreciate being called Ambulance Chasers...though they would lkely have kept their displeasure to themselves.

For my part CB, I apologize if my posts seemed to indicate that I thought it was fine for people to purposely offend others with name calling.

My posts did not at all stem from that mindset.

For my part CB, I apologize if my posts seemed to indicate that I thought it was fine for people to purposely offend others with name calling.

My posts did not at all stem from that mindset.

Thank you.

I was thinking about the GAs who are attorneys.  I wonder, if a GA had said, "I am an attorney and I think that term is offensive", how would the people who chastised me for being offended responded.  Would Nahor had told the GA what he told me?  Would the others have responded to the GA as they responded to me.

I am just curious.

Anyway....thank you for your charitable post.  Rain...GG, thank you so much for yours as well.....

And if MS wants to message me, I will help her all I can

Edited by CountryBoy

Do not hesitate find the name of the best lawyer in that area of the law and make an appointment.  The insurance companies are not your friend and they have a battery of lawyers. 

I take offense at that. I was an insurance adjuster for many years. NOT REALLY! I totally understand. I always tried to be fair but I do know companies that were awful toward their clients. I've argued with many.

Most attorneys I know tell lawyer jokes all the time. I doubt that they would have taken offense at such a statement. I wonder CB why you are so sensitive to this.

I take offense at that. I was an insurance adjuster for many years. NOT REALLY! I totally understand. I always tried to be fair but I do know companies that were awful toward their clients. I've argued with many.

Most attorneys I know tell lawyer jokes all the time. I doubt that they would have taken offense at such a statement. I wonder CB why you are so sensitive to this.

I guess it depends on the situation.  When a group of friends I know are all sitting around and telling jokes, it is one thing.  When someone I do not know makes a comment like that, it is different.

I think context makes a big difference.  The OP was not a joke...or people sitting around telling jokes.  

Maybe it does not make sense to you.  Does it have to?

I do not always understand why someone is offended when they are offended.  But, when they are, I try not question it or jump on the person for feeling it.  Christ says to be merciful, charitable, and caring.  

CB, I think the friends bit made a big difference here. Many of us who hang out here know MS pretty well including how loving and caring she is and how protective she is of her friends and how she uses humour to help her deal with hard situations She feels relatively safe here so may relax and not consider potential offences in her humor as she would elsewhere. Of course it is a mixed group of familiar people and ones not so close so relaxing can backfire on us.

I highly doubt if she knew this would be seen as offensive by any poster and not as a joke she would have said anything close to it. She is in a lot of severe pain and has been for months and has not been able to pay attention to the board as much as she likes, but she has been trying to keep up with your struggles and help where she can and when she finds out she offended you, she will likely be remorseful...it is not something that ever entered her head to do if I know her at all.

Thank you.

I was thinking about the GAs who are attorneys.  I wonder, if a GA had said, "I am an attorney and I think that term is offensive", how would the people who chastised me for being offended responded.  Would Nahor had told the GA what he told me?  Would the others have responded to the GA as they responded to me.

I am just curious.

Anyway....thank you for your charitable post.  Rain...GG, thank you so much for yours as well.....

And if MS wants to message me, I will help her all I can

If the GA told me that I would have told him to take it up with scripture writers and the Savior who did not think much of his profession either. ;)

If the GA told me that I would have told him to take it up with scripture writers and the Savior who did not think much of his profession either. ;)

The savior did not say anything against the profession, but, rather, those who would attempt to trick Him with questions.

I doubt, if the Savior disliked attorneys, that He would call so many to positions of leadership.

I am sorry that you are offended.  I only have my own experiences to go by and they are several.  The only time I can remember not having a poor experience is when hail destroyed my roof.  That one was Farm Bureau and I stopped in at their office, they sent out an adjuster the next day and two days latter told me to get it replace and send them the bills. 

Well, I was going to jump in here with some advice from personal experience from the law firm I work at and from being in the midst of my own personal injury case due to a MVA, but......all that is in my head right now is once again I "learn" that church members are never supposed to be offended by anything anyone says ever, and in fact the person being offended is in the wrong and the person committing the offense is a-okay.

And we wonder why some people stay away.....

I am sorry that you are offended.  I only have my own experiences to go by and they are several.  The only time I can remember not having a poor experience is when hail destroyed my roof.  That one was Farm Bureau and I stopped in at their office, they sent out an adjuster the next day and two days latter told me to get it replace and send them the bills. 

I hope you got that I was kidding. I wasn't offended.

I deal with insurance adjusters all day every day.  You name the Insurance company, I prolly deal with their adjusters.

Like every profession, there are ones I like to work with and those I do not.  Even the ones I dislike are typically just following the policy of the company.

Well, I was going to jump in here with some advice from personal experience from the law firm I work at and from being in the midst of my own personal injury case due to a MVA, but......all that is in my head right now is once again I "learn" that church members are never supposed to be offended by anything anyone says ever, and in fact the person being offended is in the wrong and the person committing the offense is a-okay.

Because they are thin-skinned and thing things for everything else?

Yes.   

Edited by CountryBoy

Yes.  Apparently, if you are hurting...you can be offensive.  And if you are offended, it is because you are thin-skinned and deserve to be belittled.

This kind of conduct is what I received when I was struggling with my testimony.  Guess we have not come as far as I had hoped since 1989

Why would you have to be hurting?

Okay... what say we get back to the OP... I think we understand the various points that have been made with learning on all sides...

Let's get back to the need for information and/or advice for MorningStar... she's still needing advice.  Hopefully she'll see CB's offer to help if she will PM him, because when he tried to PM her the mailbox couldn't accept it...

Don't mean to sound like a board nanny...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl