Is Anyone Here Besides Me Non-Mormon?

Truth 101

You'll have to be more specific about what a "non-Mormon" is. I am a Book of Mormon believer that is not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints- so I don't know what category you would place me in. I see my self as not a Mormon- as "Mormon" is associated with the LDS Church- but I have had people tell me that I am, in spite of my protests to the contrary, because I believe in the Book of Mormon.

So, am I a "non-mormon"? I will leave that up to you.

No I haven't had my name removed. Too lazy on my part and I honestly am not bitter and don't care enough to get it done.

To BookofMormonLuvr: That is an excellent question, I've never met somebody who believes in the BOM but is not a member, so obviously there are gray areas. I guess by non-mormon in your case I would ask: Do you regularly attend church?

To bluebell: That is good to know I'm not the only one. I wouldn't want to be banned from posting here purely on my status with the church. Like I've said in posts I've posted in other threads I am not a bitter ex-mormon. I just like to challenge people's testimonies. 

No I haven't had my name removed. Too lazy on my part and I honestly am not bitter and don't care enough to get it done.

To BookofMormonLuvr: That is an excellent question, I've never met somebody who believes in the BOM but is not a member, so obviously there are gray areas. I guess by non-mormon in your case I would ask: Do you regularly attend church?

To bluebell: That is good to know I'm not the only one. I wouldn't want to be banned from posting here purely on my status with the church. Like I've said in posts I've posted in other threads I am not a bitter ex-mormon. I just like to challenge people's testimonies.

Challenge away, I'll get some popcorn and enjoy the show.

Just remember that this forum has been around a long time many topics have been covered ad nauseum.  Your tone will make a big difference in how well you are received here.  It is much more important than your membership status.  

You may be interested to know... there are several churches that believe in and use the Book of Mormon as scripture.

I attend church every week and twice on Sunday(often). But I attend a RLDS Restoration Branch, not a LDS Ward.

Anyhoo, if you want to look into the larger scope of the Restoration Movement, here is a place to start...

http://ldsmovement.pbworks.com/w/page/15644454/FrontPage

I find it quite hard to not come off sounding defensive, abrasive and snarky when I post online.  That makes me sympathetic to others who may come across that way unintentionally.  Perhaps I need to utilize many more smileys.  :D  :P

You'll have to be more specific about what a "non-Mormon" is. I am a Book of Mormon believer that is not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints- so I don't know what category you would place me in. I see my self as not a Mormon- as "Mormon" is associated with the LDS Church- but I have had people tell me that I am, in spite of my protests to the contrary, because I believe in the Book of Mormon.

So, am I a "non-mormon"? I will leave that up to you.

You're a Restorationist...and a darn good one at that!

I'm an ex turned Catholic/Orthodox. There are a few of us here.

I still get my snark on from time to time but I think I've gotten better at this over the last 4 years.

You have had quite the journey! I recall you being episcopal a while ago, though your trajectory would make sense as it seems you likely have been looking at history quite a bit...so are you Catholic or Orthodox?

Good morning Truth 101...

Welcome to the board... What people have said about intent and tone is "truth."  You can either enter into respectful conversations, expressing your views in discussions... or you can proceed to try and tear down, or "challenge," the testimonies of other posters, which IMO, would make you a jerk and one I would simply dismiss as not worth the effort to offer a response.  There's a big difference between the two.  We do have some lively discussions :o  :)

So... do you feel comfortable telling us a little more about yourself?  Just general, like area you are from... a special interest... approx age... are you a dog person or a cat person?

I always kid with new posters that I'm old as Methusela, widowed, alone, the proverbial old woman living with her pushy cat named Bob... but again, I say welcome.

from the beautiful central Oregon coast... GG

edit to add:  Oh, I just saw your post in the "Introductions" thread where you tell how old you are and where you're from... thanks...

Edited by Garden Girl

You have had quite the journey! I recall you being episcopal a while ago, though your trajectory would make sense as it seems you likely have been looking at history quite a bit...so are you Catholic or Orthodox?

Hard to say considering some new things came to light yesterday. It would appear that at some point the heresy that any bishop was above the binding declarations of the 7 Ecumenical Councils developed. Canon VI of the First Council only gave Rome power over the western churches and affirmed the independence of the churches in Alexandria and Antioch. Eventually, the churches in Constantinople and Jerusalem became autocephalous as well. The first Council stated that bishops were elected locally and not by the bishop of Rome. I'm thinking that Pontifex Maximus is heretical and that primus inter pares is correct. No Bishop can declare themselves above the Councils. The Sixth Council went so far as to find Pope Honorius guilty of false teaching.

To be clear, I'm thinking I may lean more Orthodox.

Just wondering.

There are several non-Mormons here. I am interested as to why a non=Mormon would wish to come to a Mormon page? Do you have legitimate questions?

Are you Catholic? There are Catholics here. Are you religious? On the surface, Mormons are a lot like the old Evangelical churches, except we do not practice the trinity, and in the case of my old denomination Mormons do not practice the angry hate and condemnation that I saw in the past. Mormons have a living Prophet, and practice that the Bible is alive. In the case of that last part of the book of Revelations, Mormons do not believe that the Bible stopped with that book. AND if you take a fresh look at the ending statement of it, you will find that the statement applies only to that Book.

Welcome

I find it quite hard to not come off sounding defensive, abrasive and snarky when I post online.  That makes me sympathetic to others who may come across that way unintentionally.  Perhaps I need to utilize many more smileys.   :D   :P

Careful!  Some people seem to consider the (over?)use of smileys to be deeply offensive! :D;)

P.S.: Some of them even seem to think that the (alleged over)use of smileys is almost as bad as farting in public! :rofl:

Edited by Kenngo1969

just wondering

I am not LDS.

If you post as passive aggressive as possible, and never say what you really mean, they'll love you here. :D If you say what you really mean, you'll be called a jerk, and receive worse PMs than that.  :mega_shok:

Usually, people are called a jerk when they are being one, and sometimes we are all jerks. 

We just have to practice not blaming it on everyone else when people point it out to us.  No easy task for any of us, myself included.  :D

Hard to say considering some new things came to light yesterday. It would appear that at some point the heresy that any bishop was above the binding declarations of the 7 Ecumenical Councils developed. Canon VI of the First Council only gave Rome power over the western churches and affirmed the independence of the churches in Alexandria and Antioch. Eventually, the churches in Constantinople and Jerusalem became autocephalous as well. The first Council stated that bishops were elected locally and not by the bishop of Rome. I'm thinking that Pontifex Maximus is heretical and that primus inter pares is correct. No Bishop can declare themselves above the Councils. The Sixth Council went so far as to find Pope Honorius guilty of false teaching.

To be clear, I'm thinking I may lean more Orthodox.

Valentius;

I think one thing for sure, you're quite bouncy. :)