Seriously No Politics ×

Old Leadership Handbook, Anyone? (Re: Guitar In Sacrament)

Grudunza

Hi folks.  Been lurking here a while and enjoying the various conversations, but figured I should chime in about something that I haven't seen discussed here before, according to the search function.

I've been asked a couple of times to perform something in my ward's Sacrament meeting, and each time when I offer to play guitar as accompaniment the music leader (two different ones) says "oh, guitar isn't allowed in Sacrament."  This has happened in most of the wards I've been in, where for some reason there's that assumption.  But my understanding is that's definitely not the case...  Guitar is allowable as a Sacrament instrument, if its use is appropriate and the bishop or bishopric approves the content of the piece being performed.  The current leadership handbook makes no mention of guitar as being prohibited, only specifying that "less worshipful instruments such as most brass and percussion" should be avoided.  And I believe that the wording of that doesn't even necessarily preclude brass and percussion from being performed (note the word "most"), given the right context and use.   I once heard a very moving trumpet ensemble in a Sacrament meeting.  It was quietly and very capably performed, and quite beautiful.  Sure, you wouldn't want blaring trumpets or crashing cymbals, but there are times and ways in which brass or percussion could be fitting.

I recall someone telling me a few years ago that the reason people think guitar can't be used in Sacrament is because an old church leadership handbook from 30+ years ago included "guitar" along with "brass and percussion," and "guitar" was removed from the subsequent edition.  If that's the case, then that would make some sense as far as why people might still think that.  So I'm wondering if anyone happens to have an older version of the leadership handbook and can check that reference for me.  I'd be interested to see that.  The current reference is in section 14.4.2, called "Guidelines for Choosing Appropriate Music for Church Worship Services."

Granted, I can appreciate the concern.  Many uses of guitar would not be appropriate in Sacrament, for example distorted electric guitar, or guitar playing meant to be flashy or strummed aggressively... but of course the same guideline applies for any instrument, including piano.  "Great Balls of Fire" style piano playing would not be appropriate.  What was frustrating to me in particular was that one of the times when I offered to perform with guitar was last Christmas season, to perform "Silent Night" using classical fingerstyle on a nylon string guitar.  If any song should be appropriate to accompany on guitar, it's that one.  I've meant to talk to the bishop about this, but I travel a lot and haven't really had a good chance to meet up with him for a while, and other personal things were far more pressing the last time or two we talked.  I don't want to seem like I have an axe to grind about this or whatever.  It's not that important, ultimately, and I'm happy to just sing along to piano.  But, well, guitar as a vehicle for music is something I have to offer up in worship, and I'd like to be able to do that.  And there's another guy in my ward who plays guitar and sings really well, and I'd love to be able to offer a duet with the two of us performing a hymn or "Silent Night" or something else that could be a special and unique way to share a spiritual musical number.   

Anyway, if you have any comments or stories about that, or can cite the previous "guitar" reference in the leadership handbook (if it indeed was referenced), then I'd appreciate that.

Best,

Eric

Interesting. I've seen a couple sing to an acoustic guitar and another time a trumpet played a christmas carol (can't remember which one) with piano accompaniment. The trumpet was played so delicately that it almost sounded like a flute or clarinet. One of the most moving musical items I've heard.

Secular music should not replace sacred music in Sunday meetings. Some religiously oriented music presented in a popular style is not appropriate for sacrament meetings. Also, much sacred music that is suitable for concerts and recitals is not appropriate for a Latter-day Saint worship service.

Music in Church meetings should not draw attention to itself or be for demonstration. This music is for worship, not performance.

Organs and pianos, or their electronic equivalents, are the standard instruments used in Church meetings. If other instruments are used, their use should be in keeping with the spirit of the meeting. Instruments with a prominent or less worshipful sound, such as most brass and percussion, are not appropriate for sacrament meeting.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/music?lang=eng#14.4.1

It leaves a level of ambiguity. But I consider a guitar to be appropriate.

https://www.lds.org/tools/print/article/narrow/?lang=eng&url=/callings/music/introduction-to-music/frequently-asked-questions

May the guitar be used in sacrament meeting?
“Organs and pianos, or their electronic equivalents, are the standard instruments used in Church meetings. If other instruments are used, their use should be in keeping with the spirit of the meeting” (Handbook 214.4.2).

Just in case someone argues against its use.

I heard that it was banned around the late 70s early 80s.

And music in Sacrament meeting is not supposed to be a great performance.  It is supposed to be expression of the gospel in music.

But would you agree that other instruments than the organ/piano (such as a guitar or wind instrument like a flute) can be an expression of the gospel in music. Often a great performance will enhance the expression of the gospel in music (whatever voice/instrument delivers it).

But would you agree that other instruments than the organ/piano (such as a guitar or wind instrument like a flute) can be an expression of the gospel in music. Often a great performance will enhance the expression of the gospel in music (whatever voice/instrument delivers it).

100 % agree. And come to think of it the organ can sound kind of creepy sometimes, think old time horror flicks.

The guitar sounds just as reverent as a piano. Having heard some duets and other performances. I would have no issue with an accustic guitar that was finger picked. Not that you can't be reverent strumming the guitar. Just shoulding be poppy sounding.

And of course I could never get away with an electric guitar in sacrament. Ha.

As Grudunza alluded , Silent Night ( in German ) was originally set to guitar accompaniment . And technically the piano is a percussion instrument. I have often heard the flute in church. Now cymbals and tamborines and bongo drums are likely inappropriate. To me a guitar would be just fine but I think the Bishop should have first right of refusal.

I would love to hear classical guitar in sacrament meeting.   Last year I accompanied a guy on saxophone as he played O Holy Night.  He played it very reverently. 

Too the OP, I have been in meetings where violins have been used. When growing up, our Baptist Church invited a gospel group (the group had my two family members)...who had a bass player. Our Pastor would not allow them to play any string instruments in Church. When my cousin told me why they were not playing as planned, I turned to the Pastor and said, "a panino is a string instrument". This comment was not well received...in short, just wow right? :)