Pahoran

In order to maintain some balance, it's worth being aware of Jewish voices that are not merely making shrill noises about Baptism for the Dead. A fascinating and informative article here discusses attempts by high profile Latter-day Saints during WW2 to help Jews in Europe.

Apparently that would not be the last time that Church members would be out of step with mainstream America on the subject of immigration.

Regards,

Pahoran

You realize that no one will pay the slightest attention to this, right?

People want to bash the Saints at all costs, even their intellectual integrity.

Lehi

From what I've seen, those bashers don't value their intellectual integrity very much anyway, so they don't see it as a cost.

And I'm sure you're right that many will not take any notice. But I think it's important that the record reflects that not all Jewish commentators are toeing the Radkey line. Moderate, measured, intelligent voices can still be heard among the din.

And when the trouble-makers say, "Those guys don't speak for all Jews," we can legitimately respond, "And neither do the complainers."

Regards,

Pahoran

Good article. I remember also the articles about the ships full of Jewish poeple that escaped Europe but then were turned away from every port that they reached.A sad commentary on the Anti-semitism prevalent world-wide at the time.

America should have done better. We, as a country, behaved shamefully during WWII towards European Jews.

Archived